Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

It's kind of weird that by being terrible at the game you get that interesting bit of setting detail.

You probably need to try to fail so miserably, so that's a reward for being really good at failing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Freya is technically beatable without cheating... Just you basically have to get to the end of the game and trigger ending C without instead triggering ending B. certainly with the tools we have now it's impossible.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mehuyael posted:

You probably need to try to fail so miserably, so that's a reward for being really good at failing I guess.

It's been a while, but I think I remember that if you keep all the Artifacts, you can get dangerously close to getting that low or a score. Some later dungeons have 5 artifacts and that's -25 right there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CmdrKing posted:

Freya is technically beatable without cheating... Just you basically have to get to the end of the game and trigger ending C without instead triggering ending B. certainly with the tools we have now it's impossible.

There are ways to get borderline invincible in this game, but yeah, they rely on stuff that's not available yet.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Maybe I'm thinking of another impossible to beat JRPG boss, but I thought what happened when you beat Freya, by cheating or legitimately, was that the game crash immediately afterwards.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I've gotten the B Ending before, but despite actually trying to, it wasn't until after I lost my copy of the game that I found out you had to actually go into somewhere and come out to get Freya to come and read you the riot act.

A "broken machine", huh...

I guess Odin's idea of a good soldier doesn't just apply to the Enherjar.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Derek Barona posted:

I guess Odin's idea of a good soldier doesn't just apply to the Enherjar.

As intimated by the following cutscene, the Valkyrie is an odd beast. I'll say no more because that gets firmly into spoiler territory. We'll find out what's going on eventually.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Huh, the different valkyries share the same body? Isn't that disproven in VP2? I just thought they were identical triplets.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
VP2 bypasses that in a few different ways. Silmeria is meant to be sleeping, disembodied, within Alicia, and Lenneth is time-traveling. Technically, Hrist is the only one actually embodied in that timeline. In the second half, Lezard sticks Silmeria in an homonculus.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Huh, the different valkyries share the same body? Isn't that disproven in VP2? I just thought they were identical triplets.

The short answer is it's not disproven in VP2 and the long answer would be a bit much of a spoiler.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
I'm kind of curious if we get to learn any more about the dynamics between the gods and god-like people. Like, is Freya really just this fanatically loyal to Odin, does she care about Lenneth at all (or whoever these other ladies are that she mentioned)? Does Odin have any motivations beyond being a tremendous douche? What about that one girl from the very beginning who was all "yay, it's Lenneth! :buddy:"

I really do love the vignettes, stories about our party member's lives and what led them to die and become einwhatevers, and all in all I'm pretty pleased with what the game has shown us so far. I'm just curious about what the larger picture is, or if there even is one. The C ending makes it seem like there is, but as someone who hasn't played any of these games, I don't know what to make of anything anyone said in it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I haven't played this game in years, but I recall it being fairly good at explaining things...eventually.

So buckle in and enjoy the ride.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Overrated Sage posted:

Does Odin have any motivations beyond being a tremendous douche?

He seldom does in anything else.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mythically speaking, Odin was said to go around stirring up trouble to keep humanity up to scratch so they'd be ready whenever Ragnarok rolls around. If bad stuff happened, you cursed his name. And everyone around would be like, "yup" (or just "quit whining").

Now see, an RPG where you play as Odin would be fantastic.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mazed posted:

Mythically speaking, Odin was said to go around stirring up trouble to keep humanity up to scratch so they'd be ready whenever Ragnarok rolls around. If bad stuff happened, you cursed his name. And everyone around would be like, "yup" (or just "quit whining").

Now see, an RPG where you play as Odin would be fantastic.

If I remember, Siegfried or Sigurt, or whoever once came along, found Odin. He gave them a gently caress off doom sword that they used to own everything. Years later he comes back, breaks the sword and kills him.

That and he used his pet ravens to spy on everyone. Yeah, total dick.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Odin in most representations is absolutely obsessed with Ragnarok. Winning the battle of doomsday is pretty much his highest priority, so he's willing to use whatever means are necessary to obtain any advantage he can get. He doesn't really give two shits about Midgard except as a breeding ground for cannon fodder.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Except he also knows it's not meant to be beatable.

So, he's like an RPG player trying to beat the unbeatable boss battle. Complete with grinding and attrition.

He has his predestination 'guide book', he knows what he needs(Though I forget how complete his knowledge is), and he's being absolutely efficient in dealing with it. At least, so it seems.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 6, 2014

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Except he also knows it's not meant to be beatable.

So, he's like an RPG player trying to beat the unbeatable boss battle. Complete with grinding and attrition.

He has his predestination 'guide book', he knows what he needs(Though I forget how complete his knowledge is), and he's being absolutely efficient in dealing with it. At least, so it seems.

The versions I've seen eventually have him see the results.

He's dead, wife's dead, most of his kids are dead, most of his grandkids are dead, Asgard burnt to rubble, humanity near extinct.

But his side won. And Baldr's back from Hel.

So, all worth it.

Odin's a bastard, but he's a bastard content with the fact he's fighting for a world he wouldn't live to see. Which, dick though he is, makes him a better person than Zeus.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Where were we? About to do business with Freya.

Our current situation is...

The enemy is fighting ferociously. We must take care.

Do you wish to know the status of our Einherjar?

Ooh, let's see how Llewelyn is doing, shall we?

As someone mentioned before, there are little blurbs about the Einherjar to be seen by pressing X over the blue or red feats. Let's see what dropped his Hero value.

Um... the ocean is, uh...

Huh? What's wrong?

...not too comfortable about...

Huh? What did you say?

I can't... hmphmm...

I can't hear you. Speak up!!!

I said I can't swim.

What??!

Darn it Llewelyn.

Battles are far less exciting. They're basically a description of what's going on, and they aren't specific to any one Einherjar.

I want you to ambush them. Hurry and make preparations!!

And finally, special Aesir might stop by to congratulate our Einherjar.

No sir, not at all.

Keep up the good work. Your efforts here will have a big effect on the war here on Asgard.

Yes, I understand. I'll do my best.

And that's it for Llewelyn. Let's see how Belenus made out.

...And in one fell swoop, Belenus instantly proves Llewelyn's inferiority.

Scenes:

Think you so? I myself know not of such things...

I thought you would answer as such.

---

...And in one fell swoop, Thor instantly proves Belenus' inferiority in facial hair.

Ah, thank you, my Lord. I shall try to live up to your hopes.

Good. I expect much of you indeed.

---

And now for the battle:

We have allowed enemy spies to infiltrate us. They have stolen secret information as well as several artifacts. Go to the Elvia Plains and follow them. Destroy the enemy unit to prevent them from handing over this information and retrieve the artifacts.

Have a speedy Einherjar take the shortcut through the mountains. It is a dangerous path, but it will save time. Attack the enemy from two sides.

Alright, that's enough gossip. Let's see how we did overall.

Lenneth, about your performance...

It is magnificent.

The Lord Odin is pleased with you.

There's some nice stuff in there, though the real standout is likely that second Emerald Necklace.

Lenneth, I have a request to make of you...

We need an Einherjar who can gather intelligence. Send us an Einherjar skilled at reconnaissance.

May Fate guide your hand. I pray for your good fortune.

Chapter 3! Let's do our usual rounds of Concentrations.

Listen: Spiritual Concentration 6

"Kashell, look out!"

"It's a miracle! They left this one intact!"

"Behold the Grand Sting, forged from the very brilliance of the blue sky. By its power the absolute evil of these grounds is contained."

"But that doesn't mean we should just throw our lives away!"

"Come on out! Show your face."

"See? You're not the only one who's sad. But you have to be strong."

"I can't stand to hear kids cry."

Listen: Spiritual Concentration 7

"Do you know what a Lapis is?"

"Yes, but this isn't a normal one. It's special."

"Do you think I'm silly?"

"No... thanks for the encouragement."

"Fuyuki, if you found the Cerulean Lapis, what would you wish for?"

"I was such a fool."

"Lapis! Grant my heart's desire!"

"Goodbye, Fuyuki. I'm sorry I lied to you."

Listen: Spiritual Concentration 8

"I'd follow any of the King's orders."

"I am so proud of you, my son! You have been knighted... made part of the King's inner circle...!"

"I did not run from my duty!"

"Hah! That coward... He ran away with his tail between his legs!"

"Ahahahaha!"

Since we have more than two Einherjar this time, I'm allowing for multiple votes; whoever gets the highest number will get visited first, then whoever's next will go second, and so on.

So, vote away.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

What happened to Gungnir, I thought Odin's weapon was a spear. Why does it look more like a sword?

Nice to see the gods show up here when they were just palette swaps in COTP.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Half of it is hidden behind Odin.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 7, 2014

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Nice jumpsuit, Oh Father of the Gods....

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The middle choice is not a big fan of emulators and has had random SPU related crashes pretty much every time I've played.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Half of it is hidden behind Odin.
Thank you. That looks like a very easy to use weapon.

Sylphosaurus posted:

Nice jumpsuit, Oh Father of the Gods....

You will not be saying that when he kicks you in half at 300 km/h

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I forgot that they drew portraits for the other gods in this game. Doesn't one of the characters get to meet Hel as well? I wonder if she looks the same in Covenant

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Whoa! I've heard you can get number 3 this early, but I never saw it myself.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
The gods that don't figure in the main story didn't get any fancy artwork, but the artbook features coloured full-body sketches. I'll have to scan some of them once I get access to my copy, if only to show off Thor's fabulous cycling pants. :P

I don't know if it was mentioned in the CotP LP, but some people may have noticed that the portraits basically have two different styles. This is because the artwork was done by two brothers, Kou and You Yoshinari. I believe Kou did the soft, more delicate portraits of e.g. Lenneth and Freya, while You drew the slightly more stylized and jaggy artwork for Odin and Arngrim. He also seems to have a thing for women with big legs, but that will probably become more obvious later. :)

As for music: Here's the overworld theme, Doorway to Heaven, along with the soul concentration song, Requiem to a Predicament, from the arranged album:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DluzgVgTycBQ%26list%3DPLEA4927EE3AA0A16D

Here is the version of Doorway to Heaven from the first concert (with video):

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DM_vALwFzE7s

And here's a variant from a later concert, without video... It's basically the same except for slightly different instruments and improvisations (I believe he reduced the number of keyboards in later performances compared to the crazy tower of ten synthesizers he used in the first concert).

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DT7djex0FXhY

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
And this is why I'd prefer to keep Llwellyn and trade him off here. Because this guy's worth keeping.

Part of me is convinced the Sacred Phase was meant to be playable or at least viewable beyond the text. The damm things are so detailed I can practically see the interface.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Yay, we're gonna get two of my favorite characters this chapter. One is one of the best characters in the game, the other just has one animation I really like (that I hope gets gifed!).

E: Her idle animation, I mean, though her attack animation is great too.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 7, 2014

Sientara
May 27, 2012

Fun fact: To get Llewelyn to meet the hero value requirements for Chapter 3, he needs to be level 15 or higher. Which is possible if you never let him leave your party, but it is a huge pain. Thankfully it is not needed in most games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For that matter, you don't have to actually send up heroes who meet Freya's requirements. You get dinged on your evaluation and don't get as many bonus artifacts/materialize points, but that's not the end of the world (that comes later :v:).

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Rushputin posted:

As for music: Here's the overworld theme, Doorway to Heaven, along with the soul concentration song, Requiem to a Predicament, from the arranged album:

http://www.polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DluzgVgTycBQ%26list%3DPLEA4927EE3AA0A16D

I've had this song on my computer for a long time. It's badass.

Ah, I want to say Hai-Lan... Screw it, Hai-Lan, then Crell. The Hai-Lan character has pretty much always stuck out in my mind as one of the most memorable just because of how it goes down. And the voice acting. By the Valkyrie, that voice acting.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
It's great that they have those little skits for the einharjar you send up, with some even built around their character. Considering that these games tend to forget about characters as soon as they join, I like that it still has these little blurbs to keep them semi-relevant (although it's kind of funny that you only get to see them once you've kicked the character out of your party). I wonder how many of these scenes there are per character or in total, and how they do or do not change based on various circumstances?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
As far as I can remember, the scenes with actual dialogue from the enherjar are unique to them and will always play once they're up in Valhalla. Llewelyn botching it because he can't swim is pretty much always going to happen, for example.

Stuff that's more mission-like such as chasing the spies is much more in general and IIRC, you can fail if the enherjar on the job sucks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Derek Barona posted:

Stuff that's more mission-like such as chasing the spies is much more in general and IIRC, you can fail if the enherjar on the job sucks.

Hell, I'm pretty sure the einherjar can actually die up there. How that works metaphysically, I don't know.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Obviously the afterlife has an after-afterlife a la Beetlejuice.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I think that's explained? I'm not sure.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I imagine they'd just cease to exist entirely?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Penakoto posted:

I think that's explained? I'm not sure.

It is explained or at least inferred, but it has to do with some pretty major plotline stuff so cannot explain it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hell, I'm pretty sure the einherjar can actually die up there. How that works metaphysically, I don't know.

They can (and are basically supposed to) die during Ragnarok as well, so I guess whatever parts get pulled up to Valhalla (spirit/soul/beard/etc.) can be destroyed by the kind of things they fight.

Edit: In the context of legends and stuff, not necessarily VP. I don't remember how it works in the games.

• Locked thread