Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Ask any neurotypical person you work with/live with/date what rpg they loved and they always say chrono trigger. If you bring up the SNES everyone just talks about chrono trigger.

yet these guys never experienced baulders gate?? talk about living a lovely shallow turd life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
chrono trigger wasn't even that good

Tiestofan69
Jan 26, 2011

I have never played chrono trigger

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Chrono Trigger is a hell of a lot better than the D&D shitfest Baldur's Gay.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Endorph posted:

yeah it was. it was undeniably great you stupid dick head

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

i thought the combat was like a slower version of the ff6 system with a weird positioning system that you couldnt actually control

it felt like half the battle was up to the whims of fate because my party just went wherever the hell they wanted

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Ragg posted:

Chrono Trigger is a hell of a lot better than the D&D shitfest Baldur's Gay.

No, reasons whyyyyy-
1. no char creation
2. Multiple endings are nice and all, but only one is good and the rest are jokes in Chrono trigger
3. did not have ,multiple sequels and the only successor after it was some baby's first jrpg fag fest
3. baulders had different romace/party option. Chrono you get a child wearing sweat pants and the only optional part men is Magnus
4. graphics range from dumb to lame.
5. baulders had an interesting villian you hunt down that has an amazing back story. Chrono you fight a space hedgehog.
6. I could go on, but you got mega hosed

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Endorph posted:

it felt like half the battle was up to the whims of fate because my party just went wherever the hell they wanted

an excellent life lesson for teens and tweens

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

big duck equals goose posted:

No, reasons whyyyyy-
1. no char creation
2. Multiple endings are nice and all, but only one is good and the rest are jokes in Chrono trigger
3. did not have ,multiple sequels and the only successor after it was some baby's first jrpg fag fest
3. baulders had different romace/party option. Chrono you get a child wearing sweat pants and the only optional part men is Magnus
5. baulders had an interesting villian you hunt down that has an amazing back story. Chrono you fight a space hedgehog.

Baldur's Gate is a horrible mangled realtime interpretation of 2nd ed AD&D which isn't even any good in the first place. Since the core systems of the game is horrible, this invalidates everything else. The Baldur's Gate sequel, Baldur's Gate II is also awful for the same reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, reasons whyyyyy-
1. no char creation
i love bioware writing - big duck equals goose

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

Say that to my face!! *holds up a copy of plainscape next to face*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Say that to my face!! *holds up a copy of plainscape next to face*

Developer(s) Black Isle Studios

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Endorph posted:

Bioware Writing is Win and hell the Mass Effect series is awsome. But Baldur's Gate barely has any writing at all and the core systems are fucken broken.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
there have been some bad posters making GBS threads up the local forums. please help us hero-san.

1. angelic yes
2. comically evil no
3. whats in it for me

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Meat Recital posted:

there have been some bad posters making GBS threads up the local forums. please help us hero-san.

1. angelic yes
2. comically evil no
3. whats in it for me

4 (Charisma/Intellect 18) - have you thought about killing your self?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Sorry, that was rude, but I will defend the great if not greatest RPG experiences of all Time!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

neurotypicals confuse me greatly how can they not understand the greatness that is dwarf fortress and nethack in its purest ASCII form

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
I've played both Chrono Trigger and Baldur's Gate

But I've noticed a lot more persons waxing poetic about BG, personally

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

pretty sure baldurs gate is a dating sim and not a rpg so it's weird to compare the two imo

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiestofan69 posted:

Cych
May 7, 2011

Endorph posted:

its a relaly slow game. the menus the dialogue the animations the battles everything is so dang slow

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Ask any neurotypical person you work with/live with/date what rpg they loved and they always say chrono trigger. If you bring up the SNES everyone just talks about chrono trigger.

Neurotypicals don't have opinions about rpgs or SNES games beyond "mario was kinda fun when I was a kid" OP.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

Bioware Writing is Win and hell the Mass Effect series is awsome. But Baldur's Gate barely has any writing at all and the core systems are fucken broken.

Great. Like we needed ANOTHER normie in DDRD.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

bioware is garbage

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Cych posted:

its a relaly slow game. the menus the dialogue the animations the battles everything is so dang slow

I'm pretty sure you're talking about Baldur's Gate.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

straight jerkers posted:

pretty sure baldurs gate is a dating sim and not a rpg so it's weird to compare the two imo

Bioware didn't add NPCs you could gently caress until BG2.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Great. Like we needed ANOTHER normie in DDRD.

Well what you have right now ain't working.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Real talk: Chrono Trigger is the only game I give 10/10

Everything about it just comes together so well.

We will never have another game as satisfying. Which isn't to say Chrono Trigger is unsurpassable, just that game development doesn't work like that anymore.

Baldur's Gate was pretty good, also. Come on guys, BG and CT can be friends.

Dec 26, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Mazed posted:

Real talk: Chrono Trigger is the only game I give 10/10

Everything about it just comes together so well.

We will never have another game as satisfying. Which isn't to say Chrono Trigger is unsurpassable, just that game development doesn't work like that anymore.

Baldur's Gate was pretty good, also. Come on guys, BG and CT can be friends.

Baldur's Gate is poo poo and there will definitely be better games that CT in the future.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

mario rpg is better than both

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

Tiestofan69 posted:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

DICKHEAD posted:

mario rpg is better than both

Chrono Trigger > Mario RPG > Baldur's Gate. That's the law.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Ragg posted:

Chrono Trigger > Mario RPG > Baldur's Gate. That's the law.

but... but Earthbound!

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Dongslayer. posted:

but... but Earthbound!

:barf:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I tried playing it and got bored shortly after teleporting into some other world, game was poo poo

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Ragg posted:

Baldur's Gate is a horrible mangled realtime interpretation of 2nd ed AD&D which isn't even any good in the first place. Since the core systems of the game is horrible, this invalidates everything else. The Baldur's Gate sequel, Baldur's Gate II is also awful for the same reason.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

anime gently caress pillow posted:

I tried playing it and got bored shortly after teleporting into some other world, game was poo poo

Sorry for your mental retardation.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Someone here has to have good taste in games and it aint you, buckwheat. If you played this game you also probably liked bioshock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Someone here has to have good taste in games and it aint you, buckwheat. If you played this game you also probably liked bioshock.

My taste in games is impeccable. Bioshock sucks and so do you.

• Locked thread