Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

What is WarioWare DIY?

WarioWare is a series of games on multiple Nintendo platforms. In each game, you’re put through a series of “micro-games,” which are mini games that only last a couple seconds. Part of the challenge is figuring out what you have to do in order to win.

WarioWare DIY takes this concept and puts you in control. Using a set of creation tools, you make the games. You’ll make the art, the music, and the rules/programming. You can then play your games on the DS or Wii and share them with the world.

The Twist :siren:

My idea for this LP is that you, the viewers, are going to come up with ideas for the games. Suggest an idea in this thread, and I’ll make it into a game then play it! I’m hoping to pick one or two games each week. Please keep these guidelines in mind when suggesting ideas:
  • Each game only lasts a few seconds (either the standard length shown in Episode 1, or twice that duration).
  • The only input from the player consists of tapping or not tapping on the screen. No button presses.
  • We have a limited space and number of objects to work with.
Other than that, go crazy. I’m excited to hear the ideas you come up with.

The Schedule

As I said, I will aim for making one or two games per week. These will air on Wednesdays.

The Apology

Since this is a DS game, I have no way of capturing the video besides using a video camera. I know this is usually frowned upon! Still, I feel that the video quality isn’t too bad, given the circumstances. I’m hoping that you will accept a small dip in quality in exchange for this interactive LP we can participate in together. For what it’s worth, I will be able to capture the actual gameplay of the games with a proper capture card. The game creation segment will be on camera.

With all that said, check out the first episode and start coming up with game ideas!

Link to the YouTube playlist containing all episodes!
  • Episode 1 - “Making a Let Us Play” - Suggested by Squack McQuack (I realize that I say the word “So” too much. I will work on that for next time!)
  • Episode 2 - “Goku's Pants” - Suggested by Putty (Video quality for this episode is a bit lower than usual. I'm working out a new method for filming these.)

Putty posted:

Squack you gotta make a microgame about Goku's Pants that is all.
  • Episode 3 - “Smash Mouth Eats the Eggs” - Suggested by CharlestonJew

CharlestonJew posted:

Game where you have to make Smash Mouth eat the eggs by dragging eggs from Guy Fieri's hair into Ricola's mouth. The music can be a panpipes rendition of All-Star and the background should have DocEvil crysturbating into a body pillow.
  • Episode 4 - “M'lady” - Suggested by Ripoff and others

Ripoff posted:

Can you make a dress-up game for a Men's Rights Activist?
  • Episode 5 - “Buy! Sell!” - Suggested by Whybird and others (big thanks to Admiral H. Curtiss and KennyMan666 for solving programming issues)

Whybird posted:

Make a game where you have to mine Bitcoins, but if you mine them too quickly your rig catches fire and burns your house down.
  • Episode 6 - “Zandatsu” - Suggested by Monkey Fracas

Monkey Fracas posted:

Metal Gear Rising

Cut A Man and then grab the delicious spine before it hits the ground! Either that or anything with Armstrong doing something- throw the giant chunk of metal at the annoying pretty cyborg man!
  • Episode 7 - “Never Again” - Suggested by Mehuyael

Squack McQuack posted:

During my usual recording day I was at a bachelor party vomiting spicy Bloody Mary's. :)

Mehuyael posted:

Make a game about it.

e: :ninja:
  • Episode 8 - “Chicago, IL” - Suggested by Getsuya

Getsuya posted:

A game where you help Scruff McGruff take a bite out of crime. Every time I see your name, Mr. McQuack, I can't help but think of the old Scruff McGruff commercials and substitute 'Squack McQuack' in for 'Scruff McGruff' in the jingle.

For those of you who didn't watch TV during the very specific period of time these ran:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwUnXad_3fE
  • Episode 9 - “The Lady or the Tiger?” - Suggested by Lord_Ventnor

Lord_Ventnor posted:

Anyway, for another game idea, how about one based off of the Lady or the Tiger? Basic idea is, you have two doors, and you have to tap one. Behind one is a tiger that mauls you and makes you lose, behind the other is a lady and you win. Which door leads to the tiger would be, of course, randomized each time.

It would be edutiantional!
  • Episode 10 - “Think About What You Did” - Suggested by Pyroi

Pyroi posted:

How dare you not spend every waking moment playing video games for the internet, leaving no personal time whatsoever?

Make a game where you think about what you have done. Or do something else, it's your life.

Squack McQuack fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Fan Art and Other Posters' Games

SystemLogoff posted:

Some fan art, er fan microgame art?

Quack
It's another way to encourage the let's player!

Sorry for the low quality, my connection is really not suitable for uploading anything large. Shoutout to EBA for the basic idea.

horriblePencilist posted:

Sorry about the doublepost, but I managed to record my CAD Collection in a quasi-acceptable fashion. Hope you like it more than Buckley would!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hd52RGzfw

Currently working on a remake of your Zandatsu-game. I forgot how fun this game was!
If it interests anyone, back when I was planning formats for a potential LP of the ams, one idea was to invite pixel artists, have them come up with designs then make a mini game using their assets while discussing aspects of pixel art.

Game Sketches
I've started to sketch out each game on paper before I make it. I thought you might like to see the "design process."

# 5 - "Buy! Sell!"

#6 - "Zandatsu"

#7 - "Never Again"

Squack McQuack fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 20, 2014

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Squack you gotta make a microgame about Goku's Pants that is all.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3615777&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post426802238

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
Frolf means Frog Golf: The videogame. I will pay.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Idea for a game: Aatrek chasing a child, tap the screen to jump over various hurdles and Star Trek Memorabilia.

also a game where you play as Lowtax's wife, tap the screen to aim divorce papers directly at Lowtax.

CharlestonJew fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 7, 2014

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Game Idea: Making a New Let's Play Thread

The player is on the New Thread screen about to make a thread for his upcoming LP. In order to win the microgame, he must include an opening image, a description of the game, and the list of updates to all the parts of the LP. All of which are in little hovering boxes that the player must tap on in that order before hitting the "Post" button. The lose condition other than time running out (I don't know if it can be programmed in) is if the player hits "Post" before including less than three of them or none at all.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Make a game where Putty and the Gang have to avoid MuhGray heads while making their let's play lest their reputation be tarnished.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
What kind of random elements can you put in? I'm thinking about having one game is either :effort: or :f5: basically, where you want to mash, or not touch a button. I don't know if that'd require you to make two different games, and use them in the same shuffle though.

They should look almost identical except for the game text that appears at the start, and the button design itself. I'm thinking either Button! or Button? for the text. Most of the design I'll leave up to you or someone else, including the button or "button", but there should be a person with 4 expressions. Something like :geno: as the default, two happy ones, and one sad one. One of the happy ones should be happier for when they are pressing the button (and they're supposed to). The sad one is for when they press the button and aren't supposed to.

For the actual game, can you set it so that you need multiple clicks on an object? I was thinking that you either click the button a bunch of times, or not at all. I think 3-5 times would work with a short game time.

I went more in detail than I expected, but maybe that's good for you? Either way, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Couldn't you just use a ds emulator and capture from that? Unless there are issues emulating this particular game.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I recall him saying there were emulator issues in the sandcastle

Game idea: Clicking here makes all your wildest dreams come true.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Slowbeef is in Retsutalk Episode X and has to constantly avoid the DarkSydePhil heads and the copies of Dark Souls II falling from above while he talks to diabetus about anime

100 HOGS AGREE has to keep rolling dice until he can progress in his silly DungeonLand game.

Three Olives walks into a bar then explodes.

Putty fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 7, 2014

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
I request you do for yourself a microgame of Raiden slicing something up, be it a fruit, robot or someone's clothes.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
I've got a couple ideas.

1) Richard Gamingo has to get a checkmate or else he loses the mod challenge! This one would be fun because you could draw a facecam in the corner that would do silly stuff when you win.

2) It's 13th Age time, and Margo needs to vehemently disapprove of Elven culture. It really is the worst culture.

I also need to second Frolf microgames, because Frog Golf.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

I am seconding the Goku Pants idea.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

I request a Space Jam mashup where we Photoshop basketball players on the faces of popular musicians/characters/animes.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
These are all great ideas so far! I'll have to start a tally.

Genocyber posted:

Couldn't you just use a ds emulator and capture from that? Unless there are issues emulating this particular game.

I had issues the last time I tried to emulate this game. I could try again though.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Squack McQuack posted:

I had issues the last time I tried to emulate this game. I could try again though.

While I will admit I do have a slight issue with the scanlines, I'm actually liking the fact I can see you using the stylus, so I can get over that. Last time I checked, the emulated version had issues where it wouldn't save the game for some reason or it would only display a black screen. I have no idea if those problems have been fixed though. Other than that I'm looking forward to seeing how this LP will progress.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
In honor of the Girl Games Megathread, I suggest you do a male version of the stereotypical girl flash games. Basically you have an image of this super dumpy guy with bad hair and complexion and by clicking on some shampoo and clothes he magically turns into the epitome of what every guy should compare himself to: Justen Beaver. No I don't actually know how to spell his last name. I before E? I don't know, and I'm proud of that fact.

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

I hope great things come out of this thread, will be keeping track of it also.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

unpronounceable posted:

I went more in detail than I expected, but maybe that's good for you? Either way, I'm looking forward to the next episode.

You all can provide as much or as little detail as you want!

CharlestonJew posted:

Idea for a game: Aatrek chasing a child, tap the screen to jump over various hurdles and Star Trek Memorabilia.

Title suggestion: Keep on Trekkin'.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Do you think you could go a bit more in-depth on the design tool in a side video? Seems like there's a lot to shed light on, like that point value I saw while you were adding objects.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Game Idea: Name Selection Micro! Quickly pick the correct sequence to name your character!

(the correct sequence is D-O-N-G-S)

More Serious Game Idea: You Have To Burn The Rope - Micro Edition

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Game Idea: Name Selection Micro! Quickly pick the correct sequence to name your character!

(the correct sequence is D-O-N-G-S)

Man, clicking 5 things in a row seems like a surprisingly difficult challenge for WarioWare, considering how fast the game can get after a while.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Krysmphoenix posted:

Man, clicking 5 things in a row seems like a surprisingly difficult challenge for WarioWare, considering how fast the game can get after a while.

That's why you do it at the start of the game.

(it wasn't a serious suggestion)

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Krysmphoenix posted:

I forgot to mention that games can either be the standard length shown in Episode 1, or twice that duration.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Game where you have to make Smash Mouth eat the eggs by dragging eggs from Guy Fieri's hair into Ricola's mouth. The music can be a panpipes rendition of All-Star and the background should have DocEvil crysturbating into a body pillow.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

I don't think dragging is possible. Perhaps drop them from Guy Fieri's hair with good timing? The hair should rustle with each egg dropped, ideally.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 8, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Game where Derek Smart assaults a soda vending machine.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tap Dancing - You have some tap dancer's feet and you need to click on them left-right-left-right so they'll dance right.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Throw a fedora onto the head of a nearby brony. You have to avoid throwing it in obstacles like a dog, and the local alpha male/bully Jeff (i hate jeff). The background can be a parking lot and the music can be just a long series of grunting sounds.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't think dragging is possible. Perhaps drop them from Guy Fieri's hair with good timing? The hair should rustle with each egg dropped, ideally.

Is that a vote?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Getsuya posted:

In honor of the Girl Games Megathread, I suggest you do a male version of the stereotypical girl flash games. Basically you have an image of this super dumpy guy with bad hair and complexion and by clicking on some shampoo and clothes he magically turns into the epitome of what every guy should compare himself to: Justen Beaver. No I don't actually know how to spell his last name. I before E? I don't know, and I'm proud of that fact.

Use this but instead of a shampoo bottle use that weird zit remover thing.

In honor of the greatest LP of all time, do something related to Sonic 2 Special Edition, like Mikhail Gorbachev jumping on Failure Cresh.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Squack McQuack posted:

Is that a vote?

Sure!

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

Mazo Panku posted:

I've got a couple ideas.

1) Richard Gamingo has to get a checkmate or else he loses the mod challenge! This one would be fun because you could draw a facecam in the corner that would do silly stuff when you win.

2) It's 13th Age time, and Margo needs to vehemently disapprove of Elven culture. It really is the worst culture.

These are both really good ideas, especially the second one.

edit: I'd actually be interested to see a little bit of the debugging process when you make microgames. It'd be neat to see what exactly goes wrong and how you need to rework your original design to fix it.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 8, 2014

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
a microgame where you have to 5 this thread, which will fool goons in the real world into doing the same

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Pins posted:

Frolf means Frog Golf: The videogame. I will pay.

Mazo Panku posted:

These both need to be done.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Squack I will tell you later on steam what exactly needs to happen in frog golf do not be fooled by others.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mission: Get Food, Goon

Setting: A goon is sitting in front of his PC at home. Along with any other clues to the guy being a goon is a pile of <favorite fastfood chain> bags/wrappings next to the desk. At one end of the screen is an arrow with text on it saying 'To Kitchen'.

If you click on that arrow you fail.

The correct thing to do is tap on the nearby cell/phone and order some more fastfood.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mehuyael posted:

<favorite fastfood chain>
Well Known Food Place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
OK, this voting thing is already getting a little complicated. I'll put it to you folks - how do you want me to choose the game of the week? Do you want to have an official vote, where each person can only suggest or vote for one idea? Or do you want me to just choose what I want, keeping in mind the thread's consensus?

• Locked thread