Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Virgil Thatcher posted:

OH JUST STOP IT NOW

We're all tripping now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Just The Facts posted:

People were complaining?

Yeah, there were some dudes complaining that "they don't give equal time to the SCIENTISTS who don't believe in evolution it's just propaganda" on a bunch of christian radio shows, apparently.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

anyone else want an AM crunchwrap

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Mister Kingdom posted:

I did not know that's how atoms work. I always they were like little solar systems. drat you old public school science! :argh:

I'm learning more from this show than so much of my public schooling. Yeah, like you, I thought atoms were linear. Straight curved orbits. But no, poo poo gets crazy in there and by the way that's how we know what distant galaxies are made out of :psyboom:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Rhapsody in Blue playing while showing the different types of light owned

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

e: wrong tab :argh:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah, I always thought that protons followed a set path in atoms as well. This explanation makes way more sense, considering the stuff is energy in its purest form. Makes sense for the building blocks to be bouncing off their own walls, I guess one could say.

Love this show. :unsmith:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mister Kingdom posted:

I did not know that's how atoms work. I always they were like little solar systems. drat you old public school science! :argh:

Well, I wouldn't blame you for thinking that when there are authoritative organizations like the International Atomic Energy Agency still using the Rutherford planetary model of the atom as their logos.

I'll give them that the Bohr model doesn't look as visually appealing even though it's more correct, and the current accepted model of the electron cloud is kind of hard to depict.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Strange Quark posted:

Well, I wouldn't blame you for thinking that when there are authoritative organizations like the International Atomic Energy Agency still using the Rutherford planetary model of the atom as their logos.

I'll give them that the Bohr model doesn't look as visually appealing even though it's more correct, and the current accepted model of the electron cloud is kind of hard to depict.

I believe it was in A Short History of Nearly Everything when the modern idea of an atom would be something similar to a fuzzy tennis ball rather than a sun and planets.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Strange Quark posted:

Playing the show out on Rhapsody in Blue. :allears:

I suddenly want to fly the friendly skies.

Strange Quark posted:

It also looks bad on Doctor Manhattan's forehead.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Nobody is asking the right question, one I want NDT to tackle over highballs.

How might the net amount of entropy in the universe be massively decreased?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

7thBatallion posted:

He probably has an insufficient amount of data, maybe it'll be the last one of the series.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

7thBatallion posted:

Stargate: Atlantis figured it out, steal energy from another universe. Better yet, if energy can just pop into existence outside the universe (assuming there is an outside) figure out how to get outside the universe and pump all the free energy into your universe.

On a completely different topic, NDT certainly believes in the multiverse. In The Inexplicable Universe he says that nothing in the universe is unique. At first we thought Earth was unique, then we found out it's just another planet. Then we thought our galaxy was unique, but then we found out there are billions of galaxies. He suggests that since nothing in the universe is unique, then that may mean the universe is not unique, and if there is a multiverse there could be multiple multiverses, and there could be multiple groups of multiverses.

One other aspect he gets into is intelligence. There may be a point where our intelligence is not good enough to keep explaining every mystery we come across. Maybe there is another equation like e=mc^2 that explains so much more but maybe we're not smart enough to figure it out. He doesn't go any further, but I think that just like a new math had to be created to explain orbits, we'll just have to create better intelligence to continue figuring out the universe at some point. It could be biological or computer based, but we might just have to do it.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 7, 2014

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Yaos posted:

One other aspect he gets into is intelligence. There may be a point where our intelligence is not good enough to keep explaining every mystery we come across. Maybe there is another equation like e=mc^2 that explains so much more but maybe we're not smart enough to figure it out.

So, going from an Asimov reference to one from Clarke, we might be the Overlords. :suicide:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
GRBs GRBs GRBs YEAH YEAH YEAH

(I love GRBs)

Man here I thought the last episode was trippy as all hell what with THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS EVENT HORIZON, but this was :rory:.
(Gershwin, excellent)

Also thanks King Max

(incidentally great-grandfather of Ludwig the Dreamer of Neuschwanstein, der Märchenkönig)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

computer parts posted:

I believe it was in A Short History of Nearly Everything when the modern idea of an atom would be something similar to a fuzzy tennis ball rather than a sun and planets.

That's...closer. I guess. It's really hard to depict something that we really only understand from a purely mathematical standpoint. There's nothing analogous to it that we can use to convey it.

Everyone comes up with pictures in their mind to try to grasp it, and this version on screen came closer to mine than others I've seen.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

ashpanash posted:

That's...closer. I guess. It's really hard to depict something that we really only understand from a purely mathematical standpoint. There's nothing analogous to it that we can use to convey it.

Everyone comes up with pictures in their mind to try to grasp it, and this version on screen came closer to mine than others I've seen.

Yeah, it's really a mess trying to grasp it.

Personally, I like to think of it like a game of Three-card Monty, or a shell game where the dealer cheats 5% of the time. So I can say with 95% accuracy that one of the three cards on the table is the red lady. I don't actually know which card is the red lady, but it's probably one of those three cards, unless the dealer pocketed the card, and it could be on the other side of the universe, but probably not.

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin
So was NDT having acid flash backs, or did I miss something?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I had no idea that's how they know what other planets and universes are made out of. But now my mind is blown.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Pretty glad NDT is making a big point behind every "Great Scientist", there's a generous man/government/organization who patronized his or her research and publishing. In general, he's making a political point how states have great power to unleash or hold back scientific progress.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 7, 2014

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That episode was probably the most effective so far at using the history of science cartoons to build up to something.

I'm sure this thread will still have physics spergs complaining that this is all "high school stuff" and bemoaning the lack of mathematical proofs (or whatever it is they want to see), but I feel like that episode taught me something cool.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Maybe it's just me, but Tyson seemed to have a lot more spring in his step this episode than in the previous one.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yeah, this episode had a lot of stuff I didn't learn about until fairly late in college. It also really blew my (lay) girlfriend's mind which I always take as a sign for how well this show is reaching its target audience.

Great stuff. I was pretty tired while I was watching it. Did I dream the meson star bit? And did the acid flashbacks go anywhere?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

As a physicist, the part with the atoms had me smiling because it was such an awesome representation of an atom. I want that poo poo as a screen saver.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Not to complain about the level of information given by the show, but even as someone who knows pretty much everything the show has covered so far it still works great and feels very inspirational which is clearly the point of it.

Though the spectrometer thing did blow me away, I always wondered how they're able to figure out what distant stars and planets and galaxies are made of with such certainty and well, now I know. Super awesome.

Dirty Job posted:

As a physicist, the part with the atoms had me smiling because it was such an awesome representation of an atom. I want that poo poo as a screen saver.
I thought that was great too, though it reminded me of an old Lexus commercial of all things.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 7, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

That episode was probably the most effective so far at using the history of science cartoons to build up to something.

I'm sure this thread will still have physics spergs complaining that this is all "high school stuff" and bemoaning the lack of mathematical proofs (or whatever it is they want to see), but I feel like that episode taught me something cool.

Actually, I thought this was the best episode so far for actually reaching into the concepts raised and presenting them for the prime time viewers. Stuff that people who know their basics would be aware of? Sure. But it was all nicely illustrated, scratched a bit into why it was interesting instead of just saying that it's interesting, and wrapped it up in a solid narrative.

When they went to the atom I also was going, "Aren't they more fuzzy balls? This looks like the old solar system-like model..." but then I got what they were demonstrating with the graphic and didn't care.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 7, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Another entertaining episode. It's always a trip to consider that the colors we see aren't actually properties of things. That flower isn't blue, the stuff it's made of absorbs red light and reflects blue light into your meager eyeholes that cannot even see practically anything that actually is part of light. :psyboom:

Also ancient movies were all upside down. What a terrible time to exist.

pik_d posted:

He probably has an insufficient amount of data, maybe it'll be the last one of the series.

:golfclap:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Finally got around to watching this since it was Game of Thrones night last night. Some thoughts:

What were those weird inverted color flashes supposed to be?

I actually learned something this episode! I didn't know about the gaps in spectrums or how spectroscopy worked.

Um excuse me what is this simplified script bullshit doing in here :colbert:

(the last character, 书, should be 書)

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
One time when I was young, my uncle brought a camera obscura to a family get together. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

404notfound posted:

What were those weird inverted color flashes supposed to be?

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be hinting at the non-visible part of the spectrum of light, since it was one of the color schemes used at the end to explicitly symbolize that stuff.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Strange Quark posted:

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be hinting at the non-visible part of the spectrum of light, since it was one of the color schemes used at the end to explicitly symbolize that stuff.

Yeah, and they played brief snippets from Rhapsody in Blue during the flashes.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

PostNouveau posted:

I sperged internally about the lame rear end treatment of relativity last week but this episode was fantastic.

Complaining that the show doesn't teach you anything new when you already have a college-level physics education is silly. It's not for you. Pretend you're 10 years old when you watch it or find some other science show to watch. Jim Al-Khalili's BBC documentaries are brilliant, or if you really want Cosmos for people who already know everything in Cosmos, put on your 80's pants and watch The Mechanical Universe: http://www.learner.org/resources/series42.html

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

JGTheSpy posted:

Complaining that the show doesn't teach you anything new when you already have a college-level physics education is silly. It's not for you.
This is very correct, but more to the point it's irrelevant. The only measuring stick is how it compares to everything else on the big four networks in primetime. In a TV world filled with Amazing Race: All-Stars and Two Broke Girls, holy loving poo poo, here's a show which actually tries to teach us. In primetime. On a major network. That is remarkable! I watch a lot of (too much) television, but there are very few things that I am glad are on television. This is one of those.

That said, my wife and I are two episodes behind so NO SPOILERS PLEASE GOD

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Spoilers: light is like, huh? Wha? Dang that's weird

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is very correct, but more to the point it's irrelevant. The only measuring stick is how it compares to everything else on the big four networks in primetime. In a TV world filled with Amazing Race: All-Stars and Two Broke Girls, holy loving poo poo, here's a show which actually tries to teach us. In primetime. On a major network. That is remarkable! I watch a lot of (too much) television, but there are very few things that I am glad are on television. This is one of those.

That said, my wife and I are two episodes behind so NO SPOILERS PLEASE GOD

Time slows down as you approach the speed of light

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

PostNouveau posted:

Oh please I've seen ST:TOS and TNG I'm practically a physicist

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

In a TV world filled with Amazing Race: All-Stars

:raise:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh please I've seen ST:TOS and TNG I'm practically a physicist

Oh good, then you haven't missed much. Last week's episode was about time traveling by slingshoting around the sun.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Not for you it doesn't. As far as you're aware everything else is speeding up. But in the end, it's all relative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This show has been awesome the whole way, but this episode seriously blew me away. We're getting out of the kiddie pool now into the really awesome stuff. This episode was the first one that introduced new things to me that I wasn't familiar with and re-explained things that I sort of knew but in a much more incredible and understandable way. The final scene jumping through all the spectrum of light was loving gorgeous and gave me goosebumps. I can't wait to see more!

• Locked thread