Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MrUnderbridge posted:

Mmmm... sorry, nope.

Oral sensitivity is a result of the need to be very aware of what's in your mouth. Think about how even the teeniest change in your teeth (a chip or missing filling) feels enormous, or a very small piece of grit feels like it's a pebble. We can feel the jaw displacement of a thin piece of foil easily. The selective pressure on oral awareness is much higher than the counter pressure for not feeling a toothache as bad. Plus, there hasn't been enough generations to make such a change.

Even people without the means to remove teeth (natives in many non-technological societies) feel toothache pain the way we would. They just wouldn't have it happen as much until huge amounts of sugar became available.

Anyway, back to the show...

That's not true at all. The science of phrenology clearly shows that differing groups of people have differing sizes of the dysphoric lobe of the brain. For example, porters and others engaged in physical labor have smaller dysphoric lobes than men such as you or I. Women have smaller still, which allows them to both bear children and the tempers of men with such ease as we commonly observe. To say nothing of the slaves in the Caribbean, who almost entirely lack this lobe entirely! It's modern science!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

You do typically find that the 'strong suit' of people extends well beyond the primary school syllabus as their intelligence and education increase.

I must admit my reading comprehension is not sufficient to comprehend how your comments are in any way relevant to my post. With some contemplation, I believe the failure is on your behalf. Perhaps you might care to suggest what I may have missed?

EDIT: Aw gently caress I was too busy :barf: from the first paragraph to notice the satire.

Hypation fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 8, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hypation posted:

You do typically find that the 'strong suit' of people extends well beyond the primary school syllabus as their intelligence and education increase.

I must admit my reading comprehension is not sufficient to comprehend how your comments are in any way relevant to my post. With some contemplation, I believe the failure is on your behalf. Perhaps you might care to suggest what I may have missed?

:troll:

I think you missed that I was making a joke? It looks like you stopped reading after the first paragraph. Here, I'll make it shorter for you:

Set up: pyramids look so similar the world over because they were built by a technologically advanced race which influenced civilisations all across planet Earth.
Punchline: The set up for the joke is actually describing human beings and not aliens or supernatural creatures.

Edit: never mind, you got the joke while I was posting! I'll take it as a complement that it was good enough to rope somebody into thinking it was genuine, like good satire should be.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 8, 2014

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The judges who are part of the evil Papist conspiracy are mostly pro-life, while the other three are all pro-choice. You'd think that would be a point in the Church's favour for Jack Chick.

Jack Chick is too smart to be swayed by the false theology of that tyrant and rapist, Gregory XVI.

Abortion becoming an issue in 1978 is what caused him to believe in THE PAPIST CONSPIRACY. He was broken by the rise of the Christian Right, just like LaRouche.

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

Grouchy Smurf posted:

Snowden did something that 95% of us would do.

Yeah I'm gonna call bullshit on this, I seriously doubt that 95% of us would be willing to risk being in super army jail for our entire lives or living in exile. Don't discount the sacrifices that Snowden made, he was living in god drat Hawaii pulling over 100k a year and gave it up to expose the information that he exposed. For example, Do you think that ol' Grover would lay down his life and his swamp bungalow to let us know that America was in the wrong?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

ErichZahn posted:

Jack Chick is too smart to be swayed by the false theology of that tyrant and rapist, Gregory XVI.

Abortion becoming an issue in 1978 is what caused him to believe in THE PAPIST CONSPIRACY. He was broken by the rise of the Christian Right, just like LaRouche.

If anything, that just solidified Chick's phobia. He's an old school catholic hater, who listens to all the greatest hits from the original artists: https://www.chick.com/catalog/books/0185.asp

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
This kind of qualifies as a conspiracy theory, right?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/04/08/the_principle_a_documentary_about_geocentrism.html

quote:

The trailer does seem to be making a case for Geocentrism (it's mentioned specifically), but given the title, I would guess they're going to try to make a broader point that the Universe itself was made—created, if you will—purposely for us. This idea (broadly speaking) is called the strong anthropic principle (hence the doco title), and as a philosophy it's not terribly informative. It's fun to think about in a limited sense, but in the end it always boils down to "God did it," which is slamming a door in the face of exploration and inquiry. I'm not a big fan of that.

About the trailer, yes, it’s narrated by Kate Mulgrew, aka Captain Janeway from Star Trek: Voyager. Some people are lamenting this, wondering if she’s a geocentrist. I doubt it, and you can’t necessarily judge an actor for the work they do. Mitch Pileggi (from The X-Files) narrated an episode of Exploring the Unknown debunking the Apollo Moon hoax, yet he also narrated Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon? So you can’t jump to any conclusions here.

What’s far more interesting is that the trailer shows physicists Michio Kaku and Lawrence Krauss, both of whom, I strongly suspect, would call Geocentrism nonsense (and wait! Krauss did exactly that). So why are they in the movie? I would guess the producers didn’t tell them exactly what the movie was about when they did their interviews; that’s more common than you’d think. The makers of the execrable movie Expelled did just that to several scientists. A German TV company did that to me about a Moon hoax documentary they filmed me for (the segment promoted the hoax).

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

King of Hamas posted:

Yeah I'm gonna call bullshit on this, I seriously doubt that 95% of us would be willing to risk being in super army jail for our entire lives or living in exile. Don't discount the sacrifices that Snowden made, he was living in god drat Hawaii pulling over 100k a year and gave it up to expose the information that he exposed. For example, Do you think that ol' Grover would lay down his life and his swamp bungalow to let us know that America was in the wrong?

Don't forget he also gave up his hot, poledancing girlfriend who liked to have marathon sex with him.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

This reminds me of the crazy creationist "science" talks I attended as a fundamentalist teen. Their argument was that the Earth is at the center of the universe, and that the entire universe was arranged in such a way to support life on Earth. If even a single star was shifted a single inch in space, it would take "the power of a tractor" to lift your finger. Galactic rotation and the expansion of the universe were never brought up.

Also the water for Noah's flood was contained in a layer of ice above the earth's atmosphere. It somehow let more light through and increased the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere, which is why people lived to be 900 years old and there were giants and stuff. The Grand Canyon and similar geographic features were carved out in a matter of hours when the flood waters receded. And this all happened around 4000-4500 years ago, so a globally catastrophic flood that carved out the modern geography of Earth conveniently left the artifacts, records, and structures of Old Kingdom Egypt and other ancient civilizations intact somehow.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

Preem Palver posted:

This reminds me of the crazy creationist "science" talks I attended as a fundamentalist teen. Their argument was that the Earth is at the center of the universe, and that the entire universe was arranged in such a way to support life on Earth. If even a single star was shifted a single inch in space, it would take "the power of a tractor" to lift your finger. Galactic rotation and the expansion of the universe were never brought up.

Also the water for Noah's flood was contained in a layer of ice above the earth's atmosphere. It somehow let more light through and increased the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere, which is why people lived to be 900 years old and there were giants and stuff. The Grand Canyon and similar geographic features were carved out in a matter of hours when the flood waters receded. And this all happened around 4000-4500 years ago, so a globally catastrophic flood that carved out the modern geography of Earth conveniently left the artifacts, records, and structures of Old Kingdom Egypt and other ancient civilizations intact somehow.

I am prepared (don't have all the evidence at hand and have not contemplated it yet) to buy the argument that the Grand Canyon was carved out in days or weeks (way less than centuries) and Noah's flood occurred on a regional level (both due to ice dams breaking).... Ice dam a the Bosporus straight broke flooding the Black Sea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis

Not so much the floating icicles in space or centre of the universe bit.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Hypation posted:

I am prepared (don't have all the evidence at hand and have not contemplated it yet) to buy the argument that the Grand Canyon was carved out in days or weeks (way less than centuries) and Noah's flood occurred on a regional level (both due to ice dams breaking).... Ice dam a the Bosporus straight broke flooding the Black Sea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis

Not so much the floating icicles in space or centre of the universe bit.

Oh, absolutely. We have a perfect textbook example of such a river carving--I lived in it for most of my life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glacial_River_Warren

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mulgrew has since come out and said that the producers lied to her when they hired her for the voice over. While one of the scientists has said he has no clue where the clip they have of him even came from.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Mulgrew has since come out and said that the producers lied to her when they hired her for the voice over. While one of the scientists has said he has no clue where the clip they have of him even came from.

I like to imagine her nailing the whole thing in one take, glaring through the glass at her agent the whole time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Inspector Hound posted:

I like to imagine her nailing the whole thing in one take, glaring through the glass at her agent the whole time.

I like to imagine it was her character of "Chief" on NSTF:SD:SUV. Chief wouldn't care what she was saying.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this? posted:

I've read and listened to a lot of skeptical stuff, and sadly this seems to be a really popular thing among the peddlers of bullshit to straight up misrepresent themselves when approaching people. That Ben Stein one was really bad, it even did that to other creationists.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
The only reason they complained was because their bullshit was taken to task by the educated beyond a third grade science book when the movie was released.

My favorite line to come out of that was "Look, Darwinists think life came from aliens on the backs of crystals" by completely ignoring that Stein asked how life could be seeded by aliens. It was a movie for morons that were more than willing to throw out their money for anything that stood on their side of the issue

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So I stumbled onto this article:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/bundy-ranch-uncensored?src=soc_twtr

Which included this picture:

Which led me to this jumbled HTML tinfoi hat of a website.

http://stopthecrime.net/

....how in the gently caress is this even explainable??

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Presto posted:

The eyeball is a wonderful example because it proves that if it was designed by God, then He is an idiot.

Azathoth?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

quote:

The eyeball is a wonderful example because it proves that if it was designed by God, then He is an idiot.

The best part is how they always manage to ignore the fact that human eyes aren't that great. For being some ultimate creation of god's design, he sure searched through the bargain bin for quite a few things

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FuzzySkinner posted:

So I stumbled onto this article:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/bundy-ranch-uncensored?src=soc_twtr

Which included this picture:

Which led me to this jumbled HTML tinfoi hat of a website.

http://stopthecrime.net/

....how in the gently caress is this even explainable??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFmRYfMV10

At least Alex Jones figured out how to edit videos down to a reasonable length. This stuff is ridiculous. (And the site is covered in DEES comics. Of course it is)

Also, I'd love to have been around the feds sitting there watching those idiots play soldier. That had to have been one of the funniest things they'd ever seen.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oFmRYfMV10

At least Alex Jones figured out how to edit videos down to a reasonable length. This stuff is ridiculous. (And the site is covered in DEES comics. Of course it is)

Also, I'd love to have been around the feds sitting there watching those idiots play soldier. That had to have been one of the funniest things they'd ever seen.

You know what's great? Right-wing militias can wave their guns around with almost complete impunity, but if a even vaguely leftist group did the same thing, they'd get their brains beat in.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
A friend of mine that I went through Meteorology courses in college has a Facebook page for him and his forecasts.

He says he tends to get a lot of questions about HAARP and chemtrails. He in fact got a message recently due to the tornado outbreak that they were caused by HAARP.

I don't have the link handy, but the head of the American Meteorological Society released a message in the Bulletin journal that he himself gets calls like these twice a month. Enough that he had to make the statement.

I mean, reading about this stuff is interesting, but having to deal with the onslaught of these people. Trying to "inform" you of HAARP and chemtrails? I can't even imagine... :psyduck:

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 29, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

SocketWrench posted:

The best part is how they always manage to ignore the fact that human eyes aren't that great. For being some ultimate creation of god's design, he sure searched through the bargain bin for quite a few things

Eh, depends on what its used for. An eagle can see really far away in intense detail because it can move fast enough to catch a mouse on the ground. A human with the same skill wouldn't be quite as useful.

Full color vision has its perks tho.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Lightning Jim posted:

A friend of mine that I went through Meteorology courses in college has a Facebook page for him and his forecasts.

He says he tends to get a lot of questions about HAARP and chemtrails. He in fact got a message recently due to the tornado outbreak that they were caused by HAARP.

I don't have the link handy, but the head of the American Meteorological Society released a message in the Bulletin journal that he himself gets calls like these twice a month. Enough that he had to make the statement.

I mean, reading about this stuff is interesting, but having to deal with the onslaught of these people. Trying to "inform" you of HAARP and chemtrails? I can't even imagine... :psyduck:

Hasn't HAARP been turned off and shuttered anyway? Or is that just what they want us to think?! :tinfoil:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

chairface posted:

Hasn't HAARP been turned off and shuttered anyway? Or is that just what they want us to think?! :tinfoil:

HAARP is inactive most of the year regardless, because the experiments and tests done with it are only viable during certain times of the year and space weather conditions. Some of the things are even sensitive to certain times of day.

But yeah they're in a temporary shutdown of major functionality because contractors are being changed, although limited work continues on.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

What does HAARP do anyways?

(Anyone who answers "Summons natural disasters on behalf of the Zionist Illuminati" will have a muffin thrown at them. And it will be pointy.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gen. Ripper posted:

What does HAARP do anyways?

(Anyone who answers "Summons natural disasters on behalf of the Zionist Illuminati" will have a muffin thrown at them. And it will be pointy.)

Shoot a bunch of radio energy into the ionosphere to try to trigger auroras and influence ones that show up on their own. It's abasically a research facility for the aurora.

Doing this helps research the ionosphere because it's hard to otherwise measure due to it not being practical to measure that layer of the atmosphere by way of balloons (it's too thin for most of them to be practical) or satellites directly inside it (there's still too much gas around to keep stable orbits unless you were firing off rocket engines to boost up every few hours).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I recall reading about HAAP along with a few other "out there" theories including some place called Dulce Base, Montauk/Camp Hero and about "The Philadelphia Experiment".

I always found this interesting as hell. Complete bunk, but at least they made for good reads (like reading a comic book).

A hell of a lot more fun to read about then supposed "MISSLES HITTING THE PENTAGON! ROTHSCHILD! BUILDING 7!"-type of stuff.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Whenever I hear talk of HAARP I just remember that it was a plot point in the Remo Williams film and Wilford Brimley talked about it and suddenly I can never take it seriously as a threat to the world because Wilford Brimley has that effect on people.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Install Windows posted:

Shoot a bunch of radio energy into the ionosphere to try to trigger auroras and influence ones that show up on their own. It's abasically a research facility for the aurora.

Doing this helps research the ionosphere because it's hard to otherwise measure due to it not being practical to measure that layer of the atmosphere by way of balloons (it's too thin for most of them to be practical) or satellites directly inside it (there's still too much gas around to keep stable orbits unless you were firing off rocket engines to boost up every few hours).

I seem to recall it also had something to do with radio communications. SOMETHING to do with super low frequencies, in the tens of hertz at the most which can penetrate the ocean and let the US govt maintain radio contact with subs.

Sure its secret, but not because its some sort of crazy mindcontrol jewbeam

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

duck monster posted:

I seem to recall it also had something to do with radio communications. SOMETHING to do with super low frequencies, in the tens of hertz at the most which can penetrate the ocean and let the US govt maintain radio contact with subs.

No, that's a different crazy radio thing.

HAARP isn't secret, everything that goes on there is public. They have an annual open house where any person can tour the faciility. Every summer they have a crop of students show up to assist with research. It's just that it's so remote it must be secret and what they do there is so abstract to the average person that mind control makes more sense than bombarding the upper atmosphere with radiation.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 30, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Anyone else getting the Facebook or email discussing how MH370 was actually a murder done by the Rothschilds? The story is that there is a very valuable patent that is owned by five people. Four were supposedly on the plane and their deaths leave the patent to....

A Rothschild!

Snopes has already done a pretty good job taking it apart.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
How rich and powerful are the Rothschilds, anyway? Like, compared to the Marses or Waltons?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duck monster posted:

We use a bunch of different radio masts all over NATO countries, Canada, Australia, and other allied nations for the various radio systems to reach subs.

Halloween Jack posted:

How rich and powerful are the Rothschilds, anyway? Like, compared to the Marses or Waltons?

They used to be very wealthy, and like other extremely wealthy families would have strong influence on national governments and large businesses by being able to lend large amounts of money. These days, better central banking systems have taken away that whole huge slice of the family business, the lending to nations. And since there was the whole Jewish heritage thing to them, they lost a lot of stuff during the course of World War II even though they managed to get some of it back after the war. So the current ones just run successful private banks that have been around and stable a long time.

There's a lot of branches of the family of course, it having been a few hundred years, so they don't like, all work and operate together. One of the branches is even mostly about wine rather than banking.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh, depends on what its used for. An eagle can see really far away in intense detail because it can move fast enough to catch a mouse on the ground. A human with the same skill wouldn't be quite as useful.

True, certainly wouldn't have any use with all those biblical wars and battles where you need to spot your enemy before he can attack.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SocketWrench posted:

True, certainly wouldn't have any use with all those biblical wars and battles where you need to spot your enemy before he can attack.
I don't think any biblical wars or battles took place at distances greater than the human eye's effective range of resolution. It was a little bit before the era of the high-powered rifle or the ballistic missile.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

The human eye's downsides are often not tradeoffs, just nonsensical from a design standpoint. For example, the rods and cones have a bunch of helper cells to move the information to the optic nerve and do some basic computation, but since they're in front of the rods and cones they absorb a lot of the light before it can reach the receptors. There are a lot of animals who have it the other way around with no apparent problems, so the only real reason behind it is that evolving it the 'wrong' way is still a massive advantage and mutation and selection isn't extreme enough to reverse the eye's anatomy in a single generation.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 30, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The key is that evolutionary changes to an organism are just "good enough" instead of perfect. We're all balsa wood models held together with staples, chewing gum, and tape in enough quantifies to keep from falling apart.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The Chemtrail crowd discovered a new smoking gun this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01ZebpBHhU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Max22 posted:

The Chemtrail crowd discovered a new smoking gun this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01ZebpBHhU