Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Taear posted:

He's been here for ages though and it happens a lot when someone who is a goon already goes to work on a project.

Just look in the Wildstar thread for another example!

I remember MonsterW21 faces was marketing for All Points Bulletin.. It got pretty bad that someone bought a banner ad making fun of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

UberJumper posted:

There is so much cool stuff on the maps, that unfortunately by the time i can explore it. I don't feel like back tracking all the way to the start to go explore it.

I've been meaning to take a stab at creating some 'adventure' styled scenarios at some point. Namely, ones that are small-party centric and more about just exploring and taking your time with fairly small scale armies and such. Putting a lot of emphasis on items and scripted events and such. I haven't really sat down to see if there's enough power in the map scripting to be able to do that kind of stuff yet though.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Honestly, i am kind of annoyed at the campaign. The only real way to get through most of the missions is to rush. The AI always out produces you, and unless your hyper aggressive and can capture some of the enemies cities early on, before they start getting stacks on their cities. Its more or less game over.

There is so much cool stuff on the maps, that unfortunately by the time i can explore it. I don't feel like back tracking all the way to the start to go explore it.

Does anyone have any tips for Elf 4? I just cannot seem to figure out what i should do.

Honestly, I think elf 4 is one of the hardest missions in the game. Or it feels like it, I've been sort of trained to expand fast now that I've beaten a campaign and I hadn't quite learned it there yet.

Are you using the beta patch? It helps a lot with slowing down tier 4 spam, and even tier 3 spam somewhat, and Elf 4 is a huge culprit there with the AI, so, yeah.

Other than that, I recommend investing heavily in storm sisters - unlike your own rogue units, they don't rely on blight damage and can curbstomp succubi and shadow stalkers, and if anything ever gets in range of one, be sure to use their stunning touch - 40-50% chance of losing two turns is amazing considering all six storm sisters in a stack can do it. You may have to build a garrison of storm sisters in almost every city, because Isabella was a dick to me that always sent in succubi+shadow stalker scouts scouring the map for undefended cities to snipe, and both of them happen to ignore walls, so you need the hardest hitting nonphysical, nonblight, nonfire damage you can do to kill them without your own tier 4 units - fortunately, you're an elf. They're definitely worth bringing along on sieges too, as they're pretty powerful and even a poorly developed city can produce them in 1 turn - though you may want to build a Temple for a tin medal on all of them.

Hum, I can't really think of much that could help you with that mission other than 'capture cities fast, and get them garrisons fast'. That one was a particular pain for me. If you took the torchlighter path, the dwarf dreadnought hero is on an island in the bottom right corner, that also has a teleporter leading straight to her capital, which means you could teleport a couple stacks right to her front door if you can get there fast enough.

Oh, yeah - one thing that helps a LOT with sieging cities with huge stacks I've found is if you make Reskar learn Vengeful Vines - it is a complete lifesaver, as it removes the large advantage walls give to the AI - just cast it and stand back, though make sure to use an attack spell or something a couple times or the battle will end due to no damage done/taken. Even though the walls are destroyed, the AI will be extremely hesitant about actually leaving the pile of rubble that used to be his walls, which actually turns into an advantage for you - your ranged units can do full damage and they'll be too afraid to come out and swarm them unless they're completely exposed.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 7, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Query, is there a 'map revealed but fogged' option on map gen?

ie, there's no 'clouds' concealing terrain and features, but the map is fogged as though you had explored it all and had no units currently revealing it

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Query, is there a 'map revealed but fogged' option on map gen?

ie, there's no 'clouds' concealing terrain and features, but the map is fogged as though you had explored it all and had no units currently revealing it

In the advanced options in the lobby screen, turn off exploration.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I've been meaning to take a stab at creating some 'adventure' styled scenarios at some point. Namely, ones that are small-party centric and more about just exploring and taking your time with fairly small scale armies and such. Putting a lot of emphasis on items and scripted events and such. I haven't really sat down to see if there's enough power in the map scripting to be able to do that kind of stuff yet though.

Judging the from the tools available, there's easily enough power to do some really cool stuff including making your own campaigns. The nice folks at triumph released a basic intro to the map editor a few days ago and there's a scripting guide coming soon.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

teb1288 posted:

On Elven Court 6 as the Lightbearers, when I kill Leonidas with the character holding the appropriate item I don't trap him like I did the elf. Is this stage bugged?

The mission itself is fairly difficult. I managed to clear the Elf side of the map by turn 25, but now I have an endless stream of juggernauts coming at me from the other side. It seems like the map is set up so that you aren't supposed to have to fight everyone, but instead just capture the leaders. However, like I said, Leonidas won't be trapped like the elf was.

Leonidas wont' be trapped until after he attempts to respawn 3 turns later - if he didn't, you've got to remember that the appropriate item applies a debuff when the character in question melees leonidas, not just kills. You've got to run in and give them a good whack.

If that still doesn't work, perhaps you've got to give them a whack that isn't the killing blow first so the buff has a chance to apply - it could be that it bugs out if you kill him with a single melee blow.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is steam getting ddosed or something?

I literally can't buy the game, I click add to cart and it just takes me to a failure screen "SORRY, WE COULDN'T ADD YOUR ITEM!". Thanks steam.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

victrix posted:

Is steam getting ddosed or something?

I literally can't buy the game, I click add to cart and it just takes me to a failure screen "SORRY, WE COULDN'T ADD YOUR ITEM!". Thanks steam.

Theres a high level spell that causes that. The AI is pretty clever.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Dont worry, Gaben will cast dispel the very next turn

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there a wiki or an out-of-game way to view the Tome of Wonders yet? It would be very helpful for mapping, but I can't find one on google.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Alright, just had my first game as an Elf Warlord, and holy gently caress are Elf Horse Archers loving insane. Never bothered with a single t3 or t4 unit that entire game.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Huh. Curse isn't a once-per-battle or even cooldown ability on Succubi. That's... pretty scary.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Underground exploration is so slowwww

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Also, here's to hoping for more races in the future. I'm really missing AoW1's crazy huge array of factions. The class system alone just isn't doing it for me. I want to play an Archon Dreadnought already!

(Yes, I play Cryx in Warmachine.)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

dud root posted:

Underground exploration is so slowwww

I decided to go Air/Air/Exploration for my dwarf dreadnought under-empire. Running around with 40mv tunnelling prospector scouts makes it pretty easy :v:.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

What does Air + Air mastery or Creation + Creation mastery do for you as opposed to just taking the first one?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

THS posted:

What does Air + Air mastery or Creation + Creation mastery do for you as opposed to just taking the first one?

You get higher level spells for one. Like Earth Mastery gets you the ability to cast Earthquake in battle which does 40 damage to all non-flying units and 60 to the walls. All the Elemental spheres let you summon tier 3 elementals if you get the appropriate mastery etc.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A.C. posted:

Is there a wiki or an out-of-game way to view the Tome of Wonders yet? It would be very helpful for mapping, but I can't find one on google.

Answer is 'sort of', so far. I've cracked the text files and the gui/icon files so basically I just need to write an xslt or conversion app and I could have it displaying the Tome outside the game pretty easily, as a web page or whatever.

However that's getting borderline :filez: so I want to check and make sure what's okay to upload or show people first.

teb1288
Feb 7, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

Leonidas wont' be trapped until after he attempts to respawn 3 turns later - if he didn't, you've got to remember that the appropriate item applies a debuff when the character in question melees leonidas, not just kills. You've got to run in and give them a good whack.

If that still doesn't work, perhaps you've got to give them a whack that isn't the killing blow first so the buff has a chance to apply - it could be that it bugs out if you kill him with a single melee blow.

Yeah I managed to pull it off with the elf one I had to trap. I killed Leonidas over two turns, only by the person with the item. Three turns later, as far as I can tell, he did not respawn at all, much less captured. My wizard did die in the fight, if that matters.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Weirdly enough, when I googled for a AoW3 spell once, it linked to an XLS file in some obscure directory on the official AoW website. The XLS file had a list of all spells from all specializations + their stats. I checked out the folder itself but it was just a directory holding hundreds of files in every possible language so it was way too inefficient to search through. No idea if I could find it again, but I'm betting it has more useful stuff like that in there somewhere.

Edit : Aha, I found it : http://ageofwonders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/

The XLS file listing all the specialization stuff you can research is at http://ageofwonders.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Specializations1.xls

Looking further, this might be files that have been uploaded to the forum, perhaps?

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 8, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Answer is 'sort of', so far. I've cracked the text files and the gui/icon files so basically I just need to write an xslt or conversion app and I could have it displaying the Tome outside the game pretty easily, as a web page or whatever.

However that's getting borderline :filez: so I want to check and make sure what's okay to upload or show people first.

The data is essentially already in your hands, so we don't mind. The real problem is that the really interesting things you want to know aren't embedded in text in an easy to get to way. What you read as "Does 15[physical/] to target unit" is probably stored as "Does {INT_spellDamage} to target unit", with the actual damage value inserted later. "15[physical/]" isn't actually derived from in game data, there's a little lookup dictionary thing attached to the spell that knows {INT_spellDamage}=15[physical/] it's attached to the resource which defines the spell/skill.

The bigger problem is that a lot of stuff *is* derived from in game data. The page for a unit is actually generated by building a copy of the unit, and reading data out of it (this is why you can't view unit data outside of the game, since the unit needs a world to attach to to be switched on properly, and there is no world in the main menu).

Wolpertinger posted:

Looking further, this might be files that have been uploaded to the forum, perhaps?

From the folder name I'd assume it's all files that were uploaded in February? Data looks correct, though it may well be out of date...

teb1288 posted:

Yeah I managed to pull it off with the elf one I had to trap. I killed Leonidas over two turns, only by the person with the item. Three turns later, as far as I can tell, he did not respawn at all, much less captured. My wizard did die in the fight, if that matters.

Someone did report an issue where the Trapping thing didn't work. It's rare though, and I haven't been able to figure out why it happens yet... If you think it's broken, you could upload your save to drop box or something and post a link to it. I can have a look to see what's happening. The scripts in camapaign maps can be a bit touch and go sometimes, so any example of them being broken can help us fix them up.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gerblyn posted:

The bigger problem is that a lot of stuff *is* derived from in game data. The page for a unit is actually generated by building a copy of the unit, and reading data out of it (this is why you can't view unit data outside of the game, since the unit needs a world to attach to to be switched on properly, and there is no world in the main menu).

I'm gonna have to be that guy and ask why you did it this way. I understand if the stats are altered depending on game settings and you want the tome to reflect that, but like other people have mentioned sometimes it's handy to be able to read the tome when we're outside of the game for recreation.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Unintentionally ended up practically doing a version of the 't1 unit only' challenge on this campaign map (evil path elf 5). I'm killing an AI player in his throne city with 8ish Goblin Untouchables and 3 Orc Spearmen, a wisp, and a druid that casts Vengeful Vines to take out the walls. Just going ridiculous all out full rush on this map.

I've been essentially rushing cities to capture them, and mass producing whatever t1 unit they have the moment they're captured and sending them after my big stack. My stack's original starting units have long since died only to be replaced with charmed enemies/inn units and then eventually just shittons of untouchables.

I don't think i'll be able to do more than the one or two AI players with untouchable spam though - who knows though, with vengeful vines to get rid of walls Untouchables are scary mofos in a swarm.

(and then I accidentally post this in the diablo 3 thread, somehow. That's what I get for having too many tabs open)

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Triskelli posted:

I'm gonna have to be that guy and ask why you did it this way. I understand if the stats are altered depending on game settings and you want the tome to reflect that, but like other people have mentioned sometimes it's handy to be able to read the tome when we're outside of the game for recreation.

The Tome Of Wonders was added relatively late to the project, and this was the fastest way to do it. We're a fairly small company, and we don't have the resources to create and maintain a complete copy of all the ingame settings and values while at the same time maintaining the game itself. There are also localization issues, if we make a page about a swarm darter in English, and it's separate from the in game data, then we'd need to translate that page into 6 languages separately. By doing it this way, we only have to provide translation in the in game data, and the tome updates automatically.

In principle, we could write something to make the game dump the data the game sends to the Tome interface as HTML. It would be an enormous amount of work though, and we're all busy working on patches and expansion stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

The Tome Of Wonders was added relatively late to the project, and this was the fastest way to do it. We're a fairly small company, and we don't have the resources to create and maintain a complete copy of all the ingame settings and values while at the same time maintaining the game itself. There are also localization issues, if we make a page about a swarm darter in English, and it's separate from the in game data, then we'd need to translate that page into 6 languages separately. By doing it this way, we only have to provide translation in the in game data, and the tome updates automatically.

In principle, we could write something to make the game dump the data the game sends to the Tome interface as HTML. It would be an enormous amount of work though, and we're all busy working on patches and expansion stuff.

Some would use an offline resource but I can understand why you wouldn't do that. You've still done a tremendous piece of work here, it's a really great game and I can't wait to see what you'll do next once all the little jinks are sorted out.

I can see you're still in the top five best sellers on Steam. With you being self published (though I heard you got some funding from Notch) how does this affect your future as an independent studio? I hear Paradox is looking to branch out their publishing portfolio a little ;)

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Gerblyn posted:

Your fans will create some equivalent so it doesn't really matter.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

I can see you're still in the top five best sellers on Steam. With you being self published (though I heard you got some funding from Notch) how does this affect your future as an independent studio? I hear Paradox is looking to branch out their publishing portfolio a little ;)

It secures our future, at least for the time being! If the game had flopped then we'd all be pretty screwed about now. As it is, I feel safe enough to think about getting a mortgage :)

THS posted:

Your fans will create some equivalent so it doesn't really matter.

That's what I'm hoping :ssh:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I've decided that I prefer setting cities to many and city founding off. In my current Rogue game, I've created a no man's land of razed cities between a Dreadnought who's been kicking my rear end and my lands by sneaking a stack of assassins behind the lines.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
If there is one thing you can count on it's legions of spergs creating carefully curated wikis for anything they like, it's one of the best things about having nerdy hobbies.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm beginning to feel kind of bad about using Chaos Rift - the AI literally has no way of coping or understanding what's going on. If you invade a city and use Chaos Rift, and just stay out of range of the walls, you can hit end turn 6-7 times and then win, without taking a single point of damage, 100% of the time. The only time he can even hurt you is if he has a trebuchet, but then all you have to do is move your units back a bit further and THEN wait 6-7 times. Kinda feels like it needs a nerf even without AI exploiting, it's TOO good with the infinite duration combined with every round summons and huge aoe damage.

Vengeful Vines is almost as bad , surprisingly enough - if they have a wall, and you destroy the whole thing, they will literally try to plug the 'hole' in the wall with their bodies, like they would do if you destroyed a single spot. This results in swarms of t2-t3 enemies lining the rubble where the wall used to be spamming 'guard' while a single civic guard with a crossbow hides behind them and you having a bunch of archers two tiles away shooting them in the face unmolested.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 8, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

It secures our future, at least for the time being! If the game had flopped then we'd all be pretty screwed about now. As it is, I feel safe enough to think about getting a mortgage :)

Cool! Congratulations, I hope to get there in 5 years myself :)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Talorat posted:

If there is one thing you can count on it's legions of spergs creating carefully curated wikis for anything they like, it's one of the best things about having nerdy hobbies.

Feh. More like 'half-updated inaccurate messes' half the time. I'd be happier about the spread of 'use the wikis' as a crutch for lack of in-game info if half the wikis were any GOOD.

Though my own experience is coloured as hell, of course.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Feh. More like 'half-updated inaccurate messes' half the time. I'd be happier about the spread of 'use the wikis' as a crutch for lack of in-game info if half the wikis were any GOOD.

Though my own experience is coloured as hell, of course.

It really depends on the game though. Starbound, Terraria and Minecraft all have fantastically updated and well organized wiki's. Sword of the Stars 2's wiki is a pile of poo poo because nobody cares to update a wiki for a lovely game nobody plays anymore.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Seriously, all we need is a html dump like Civilopedia Online. Best of luck to Gwyrgyn Blood if he decides to take that on as a project.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Corbeau posted:

Also, here's to hoping for more races in the future. I'm really missing AoW1's crazy huge array of factions. The class system alone just isn't doing it for me. I want to play an Archon Dreadnought already!

To be fair the Archon dwellings already feel pretty close to cities, I don't think it'd take much to have them put in the game.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Boy, sometimes the game really throws you a bone. In the first two Commonwealth missions I found a grand total of 4 of the rings that give +40% physical resistance. Having two heroes immune to physical damage makes things rather nice.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Just a bug that probably needs fixing, if you pick one of the predefined leaders, it's then possible for the same leader to turn up in game leading an opposing nation. So you can then end up at war with the evil clone of yourself. It's not gamebreaking by any means but it just feels super wierd, especially when theres like 40 different stock leaders it could of rerolled from.

Also: I won a loving heroic Victory last night, where a rag tag band of 5 flame tanks, 3 axedwarves and two musketdwarves held off 5 full stacks of various units in a fortress in a valley. Resulting in one casualty (one flame tank) for 30 dead enemies.

Tennance
Feb 8, 2013
Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but is there a way to increase army size? I think battles would be cooler with 12 sized armies or even 18.

It would definitely make theocratic characters awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Nope, you're fixed at six units a stack, maximum of seven stacks in one combat.

• Locked thread