Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
Needed a new belt for a job interview. Got one from Banana Republic, put masking tape over the price tags, got the job, then returned it today. $60 saved. Old ratty belt still works just fine :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That kind of sounds like the dark side of frugality.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Ethanfr0me posted:

Needed a new belt for a job interview. Got one from Banana Republic, put masking tape over the price tags, got the job, then returned it today. $60 saved. Old ratty belt still works just fine :)

You should have kept that belt :colbert:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Lots of leather belts at Goodwill that look newish enough.

Actually just went to Goodwill today and splurged $7 on a few glass bowls. Spent the afternoon making some super cute succulent terrariums with my mom. My bonsai friend said that she'll help me make succelent centerpieces for my wedding this fall in big champagne glasses, so I'm excited for that! Maybe I can even make a succulent bouquet... no cacti of course, or the bouquet toss would be dangerous ;)

Also got a HUGE aquarium for free from a neighbor...looking forward to spending approximately a million dollars fixing that up, but ZOMG aquarium!!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ethanfr0me posted:

:goonsay:

What other tricks do you have?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Cicero posted:

:ughh: don't get me started, frugality definitely has a dark side and I embraced it fully for a long time. Now that my situation is better I don't do things like that anymore. I try to make up for it now by being more charitable and helping others but I totally get why some people do it.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 5, 2014

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
What do you think of never buying trash bags? My wife and I never do. We just use plastic bags from the supermarket. We usually get our groceries double-bagged.

There are times when a giant bag would be preferable to 8 smaller ones.. but not enough to actually waste our money on them.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

My grandmother's friend used to buy dresses, wear them to parties, then return them the next day

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: nm I really shouldn't get started.

Juanito posted:

What do you think of never buying trash bags? My wife and I never do. We just use plastic bags from the supermarket. We usually get our groceries double-bagged.

There are times when a giant bag would be preferable to 8 smaller ones.. but not enough to actually waste our money on them.

Grocery bags are used for most of our garbage. We have a bunch of little trash cans in the rooms we use the most so grocery bags work perfectly. I think we've used store bought trash bags more for storage than we have for actual garbage.

moana posted:

Lots of leather belts at Goodwill that look newish enough.

Actually just went to Goodwill today and splurged $7 on a few glass bowls. Spent the afternoon making some super cute succulent terrariums with my mom. My bonsai friend said that she'll help me make succelent centerpieces for my wedding this fall in big champagne glasses, so I'm excited for that! Maybe I can even make a succulent bouquet... no cacti of course, or the bouquet toss would be dangerous ;)

Also got a HUGE aquarium for free from a neighbor...looking forward to spending approximately a million dollars fixing that up, but ZOMG aquarium!!

I'm not sure if these are everywhere but in my city there are goodwill outlets that literally sell clothes by the pound. They don't bother to sort them or anything, most of the clothes my wife finds there still have tags on them from places like Banana Republic, Aeropostle, The Gap, Victoria's Secret, etc.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 5, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm not sure if these are everywhere but in my city there are goodwill outlets that literally sell clothes by the pound. They don't bother to sort them or anything, most of the clothes my wife finds there still have tags on them from places like Banana Republic, Aeropostle, The Gap, Victoria's Secret, etc.

Bring a pair of disposable gloves when sorting through the "clothing by the pound". Trust me, all it takes is one experience to convince you :barf:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I sometimes visit Chinese textile workshops and let me tell you that a lot of times brands are over rated. The same product line can be diversified into different clients.

Bras from Mark's and Spencer are the same as Wal-Mart and Victoria's secret. Same product line, different price tags. Granted, there are quality differences but it's really minute. It's either just a heavier cotton or special color dye.

Sure a 140 gram t shirt is a lot crappier than 160 gram. But a 160gram is not much crappier than 180gram.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Bring a pair of disposable gloves when sorting through the "clothing by the pound". Trust me, all it takes is one experience to convince you :barf:

Yeah, I haven't been myself but I just told my wife to do this next time she goes.

edit: I went to Target the other day and accidentally used my American Express Rewards Card instead of my target card.

:doh: "Oh crap, I meant to use my target card"

:j: "Oh, don't worry you can just go to customer service and they'll fix that for you."

:confused: "Oh... ok."

:) "Customer service how may I help you?"

:confused: "uh yeah, I forgot to use my redcard, here's my receipt."

:) "OK sir, just a second. Ok here's $5 cash."

:devil:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 5, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

I bought a seven dollar box of garbage bags from Costco. It lasted eighteen months. I'm ok with that.

Edit: also, who still uses plastic grocery bags? You monster!

tuyop fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 5, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Juanito posted:

At $0.10 a plastic grocery bag here that will get expensive. Cloth bags are where it is at. Save the environment for there kids man.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

All my basil from seeds died. I gave up and went to home depot and bought a 2 dollar plant of basil that has 5 stems in it. gently caress GROWING BASIL FROM SEEDS.

Everything else though is going gangbusters, especially my herbs I'm growing at work!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

All my basil from seeds died. I gave up and went to home depot and bought a 2 dollar plant of basil that has 5 stems in it. gently caress GROWING BASIL FROM SEEDS.

Everything else though is going gangbusters, especially my herbs I'm growing at work!

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
I just went out to an enormous birthday dinner, where the bill was divided between about 16 of us. People started shuffling around for cash and their credit cards so I asked if I could just pay with my CC and get everybody to venmo their share my way. Nobody flaked on their tab, and I just picked up 1,200 airline miles. :woop:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's your god drat fault for making it sound so easy!

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've managed to get my previously several times a week lunches out at work down to at most once a week.

Feels nice taking a little control, since I'm not sure where else to do so. Resist buying things, dumped Netflix and barely-played-WoW a little while back. A fair bit in the green monthly, inching closer toward 10k in savings. (And I'd already be there if not for some harsh car issues in the last few months. Makes me wonder if I could make the 14 mile trip to/from work on a bike ...) Still trying to figure out if/when to increase student loan payments. While I'm sure there are more corners I could cut, the biggest problem right now definitely seems to be the income! No idea where to go with that yet.

Still, managing at least one step feels good! :unsmith:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Today, I decided not to buy a house.

I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was a pretty tough decision for me. Now I just need to stop spending so much money on dates...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Not a Children posted:

Today, I decided not to buy a house.

I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it was a pretty tough decision for me. Now I just need to stop spending so much money on dates...

Uhhhh, was it in the works to buy it and then you decided not to, or did you finally mentally decide buying a house is a bad idea?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Veskit posted:

Uhhhh, was it in the works to buy it and then you decided not to, or did you finally mentally decide buying a house is a bad idea?

I've been looking at houses to buy, as in talking to realtors, viewing the properties, and making very serious budget plans.

Today I just realized that I'm not doing it for any good reason other than "my roommate can pay my mortgage." I really don't want to blow my savings to tie myself to this area. Maybe I'll feel more comfortable with it next year, when I have a little more perspective and a lot more money.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Not a Children posted:

making very serious budget plans.

Does that mean you are current with budget? Because if you don't have a budget right now then I would suggest doing that instead of worrying about houses so you can gain SOMETHING from this venture.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Ethanfr0me posted:

Any time I need accessories like belts, ties, socks and even wallets or sunglasses I check Marshall's first. Designer ties for like $10-12, compared to almost $50 at Macy's.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Veskit posted:

Does that mean you are current with budget? Because if you don't have a budget right now then I would suggest doing that instead of worrying about houses so you can gain SOMETHING from this venture.

Haha, yeah, I've been budgeting my needs ever since I got out into the big bad world. I could certainly do better -- I don't have the whole job-for-every-dollar thing going on, but I'm definitely paying this month's bills with last months's money. Right now there's a lot sitting in a savings account because I was keeping a down payment in mind, but now I can put a decent chunk of that money to work.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Is your roth IRA maxed out? Cause if so you can put 5500 to work like, now. Cause it has to be done pretty much this loving second

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Veskit posted:

Is your roth IRA maxed out? Cause if so you can put 5500 to work like, now. Cause it has to be done pretty much this loving second

Haha, yep. Topped my 2013 total off last week. I swear I'm not as bad at this as I could be!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

gently caress it, go on vacation. Buy a hooker. Or buy a house. Whatever at that point. I mean if you're set up to max out your roth/401k, and you have savings for a house why not spend some money on poo poo you like?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Veskit posted:

gently caress it, go on vacation. Buy a hooker. Or buy a house. Whatever at that point. I mean if you're set up to max out your roth/401k, and you have savings for a house why not spend some money on poo poo you like?

That's exactly how and why I'm going to Denmark next month. Now I guess I've got a bit more fun money to use while I'm dicking around Scandanavia.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ate leftover pizza with my wife today. The only thing I bought was a soda that we split because I wanted to sit inside a restaurant instead of in the car. I think next time I'll go some place with a dollar menu and get free water because that small soda cost $1.50

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
The wife and kid are out of town for 5 days. I'm gonna do my best not to destroy this month's beer budget.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The wife and kid are out of town for 5 days. I'm gonna do my best not to destroy this month's beer budget.

Buy your own brewing kit and start making your own beer. Sell to your neighbours!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Someone needs to have an avatar that directly links people to the budget thread. This subforum needs a hero. A Shine if you will to bring financial responsibility to our lives. There's already enough villains. I would say budget logs are equally if not more important than workout logs

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Someone needs to have an avatar that directly links people to the budget thread. This subforum needs a hero. A Shine if you will to bring financial responsibility to our lives. There's already enough villains. I would say budget logs are equally if not more important than workout logs

Mine works sometimes when people ask me about BASIL, but yeah. We need a champion.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

tuyop posted:

Mine works sometimes when people ask me about BASIL, but yeah. We need a champion.

Dude, I think you're the BFC champion.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's between Tyuop and Cornholio right? Are there any other major success stories?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Veskit posted:

It's between Tyuop and Cornholio right? Are there any other major success stories?

Let's hope Zaurg completes the trilogy and redeems himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bloody Queef posted:

Dude, I think you're the BFC champion.

Nah, everyone hates me. They'd be like, man if the choice is between unhealthy finances and becoming like this loving guy, I'll take my 600/month coffee habit!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tuyop posted:

Nah, everyone hates me. They'd be like, man if the choice is between unhealthy finances and becoming like this loving guy, I'll take my 600/month coffee habit!

The champion is not the hero we want, he's the hero we need can reasonably afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

Step one is getting your thread goldmined. Has there been any word on that?