Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought you still had to run it the first two times to unlock the third one, it's just that you couldn't unlock the third one until you had the airship. But it's been 10+ years since I last did this, so I could be misremembering.

You're definitely misremembering. The prizes change at a couple intervals, but it's a straight-up change, not a progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Volt Catfish posted:

Well in XIV Paladins have a skill called Spirits Within and one particular boss has a skill called "Spirits Without" so maybe...

Does the paladin skill cost Gil instead of MP? If it doesn't it should.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm just wondering who they'd pick for a XIV representative, if any.

Hildebrand. :downs:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Terper posted:

I would die. :swoon:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hildebrand Owns and they could totally have him bounce off Greg Gilgamesh in cutscenes and it'd be amazing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terper posted:

There definitely needs to be a true gentleman to round out the Dissidia cast, I agree.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
The theme for the Monster Arena in FFX sounds/feels like such a Final Fantasy VII track, and I don't consider that a bad thing.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Is there any kind of magic trick to dodging lightning bolts in FFX? :suicide:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the topic of Paine, I also liked her. I think all three girls had a nice dynamic because it's one of the most basic character structures around. It's Powerpuff Girls meets Final Fantasy after all.

If I had one complaint about XII and where I preferred X and even X-2, it's the "character battle quotes." I think that was a great addition to make battles feel more in-sync with the story as Tidus and co. would say different things depending on where you were in the plot. X-2 had it even better with some fun humor and exchanges between the girls in combat. It just made the fights feel so much more alive and slightly less monotonous.

Then in XII....dead silence. I love XII's gameplay to death and I would rather jog all around Ivalice than play X or X-2 but the deafening silence from the party members only serves to remind me why it is my least favorite FF party. Well, it's better than FFVIII but that isn't saying much.

Made even worse by the fact XIII of all games returned to having cool character talks in battle. I liked that some of the pairs had their own unique exchanges and each character had unique start of battle quotes for some bosses. If I ever play XIII again i would be curious to see what other characters have to say to Barthandalus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Turn up the brightness, close your eyes, tap X as the light hits your eyelids. If that doesn't sound fun to do 200 times in a row, congratulations, you understand why lulu is a terrible character.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Turn up the brightness, close your eyes, tap X as the light hits your eyelids. If that doesn't sound fun to do 200 times in a row, congratulations, you understand why lulu is a terrible character.

That sucks. All I want is a break damage limit weapon for her and gently caress farming dark matter.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Holy gently caress FFX am I sick and tired of your lovely dialogue scenes where I have to "wait for Yuna" which basically means wander around everywhere talking to everybody trying to find the next event flag :argh:

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
The cool (dumb) thing about postgame Lulu is that her ultimate weapon isn't even her best weapon.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjKL7aZY4E

That's the first thing. Other tips:

- Make SURE your TV is in game mode and you have all fancy post-processing turned off. You don't want to be adding another 100ms to your reaction times.
- DO NOT TRY AND DODGE UNTIL YOU SEE THE FLASH. That may seem obvious, but once you get 50 or so you'll have gotten into a rhythm and will start to want to press the dodge button once you get to the right spot on the screen. Resist this urge and constantly remind yourself to wait for the flash.

I literally JUST got done finishing up the lightning dodging, and the above was all I needed. Now, because I'm insane, I have the game platinumed at a low low 102 hours.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Dr. Eldarion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjKL7aZY4E

That's the first thing. Other tips:

- Make SURE your TV is in game mode and you have all fancy post-processing turned off. You don't want to be adding another 100ms to your reaction times.
- DO NOT TRY AND DODGE UNTIL YOU SEE THE FLASH. That may seem obvious, but once you get 50 or so you'll have gotten into a rhythm and will start to want to press the dodge button once you get to the right spot on the screen. Resist this urge and constantly remind yourself to wait for the flash.

I literally JUST got done finishing up the lightning dodging, and the above was all I needed. Now, because I'm insane, I have the game platinumed at a low low 102 hours.

How'd you like that Earth Eater/Greater Sphere grind? WASN'T THAT FUN??

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

TARDISman posted:

Honestly, FF games in general are all pretty linear until the last act or in the case of FF8 and 9, right before the last act. It's like BottledBodhisvata said, it's all about how well they mask the linearity. You get the airship pretty drat quick in FFIII and IV, but they still railroad you by basically turning everywhere else in the game world into a bunch of NPCs telling you how nice their town is or wondering who the hell you are and why you're in their castle taking their Sleep Blade or what have you.

It's a shame that FFVIII was as linear as the rest of the series - with the monsters scaling to your level mechanic and time travel plot device, it had the opportunity to really get creative with its storytelling. Imagine a Final Fantasy where the whole world is open to you, airship and all, from the very beginning. That's the kind of experiment I'd like to see the series try.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

ozza posted:

It's a shame that FFVIII was as linear as the rest of the series - with the monsters scaling to your level mechanic and time travel plot device, it had the opportunity to really get creative with its storytelling. Imagine a Final Fantasy where the whole world is open to you, airship and all, from the very beginning. That's the kind of experiment I'd like to see the series try.

Honestly I felt FFXII kinda hit that DQ1-esque "explore wherever but gently caress you if you take a wrong turn" concept that I've always missed from old school RPGs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Really minor FFX thing I've just noticed that I love thats tied to the hymn of the fayth. Now each of them having a unique one isn't the cool part; the cool part is each ones vocals match the gender of the Fayth who gave their lives to become the Aeon. Yunalesca's, because there have been multiple Aeons, is an all male harmony since there are only male guardians who have sacrificed themselves to become the final Aeon.

If you do fortune sphere grinding in 2014 and are not 10-14 years old getting this game as your only game for several months you deserve to have people mock you.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Barudak posted:

If you do fortune sphere grinding in 2014 and are not 10-14 years old getting this game as your only game for several months you deserve to have people mock you.

well to be fair I'm doing it at work, not like uhh my leisure time or anything.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Barudak posted:

Really minor FFX thing I've just noticed that I love thats tied to the hymn of the fayth. Now each of them having a unique one isn't the cool part; the cool part is each ones vocals match the gender of the Fayth who gave their lives to become the Aeon. Yunalesca's, because there have been multiple Aeons, is an all male harmony since there are only male guardians who have sacrificed themselves to become the final Aeon.

Uhhhh... there are female Final Aeons, there's Seymour's Mom and I'm fairly certain they show another summoner named Yocun or something with a female guardian offering to give herself up.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Uhhhh... there are female Final Aeons, there's Seymour's Mom
Seymour's mom wasn't a final aeon, she just became Anima to protect her son.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 10, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Uhhhh... there are female Final Aeons, there's Seymour's Mom and I'm fairly certain they show another summoner named Yocun or something with a female guardian offering to give herself up.

Totally forgot about Yocun, the datalog High Summoner. Anima doesn't function in game as a final Aeon for the party so I was skipping it since she gets her own unshared Hymn of the Fayth.

Celery Face posted:

In, Ultimania I think, they mention that had Seymour been willing to be summoner rather than guardian Anima would have been his Final Aeon. Imagine that Sin, jeez.

On that note; some future FF spin-off title better let me summon Tidus.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 10, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Celery Face posted:

I count her as a Final Aeon, she was sacrificed to Yunalesca to become an Aeon and she can solo any fight in Sin. She doesn't kill Yuna since she's just her ex-mother-in-law, not really a major person in her life.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

TARDISman posted:

I count her as a Final Aeon, she was sacrificed to Yunalesca to become an Aeon and she can solo any fight in Sin. She doesn't kill Yuna since she's just her ex-mother-in-law, not really a major person in her life.
Oh, I forgot about how she was sacrificed to Yunalesca. There's that flashback with her making the decision to become a fayth just before you get to Yunalesca but I never made the connection.

Final Fantasy X-2 is really, really fun and I actually love the whole dress-up thing. It sucks how I have to have a guide on the computer right behind me to make sure I don't miss anything though. It's so stupid how you can miss out on big things like dresspheres just from not choosing the right dialogue options.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Celery Face posted:

Oh, I forgot about how she was sacrificed to Yunalesca. There's that flashback with her making the decision to become a fayth just before you get to Yunalesca but I never made the connection.

Final Fantasy X-2 is really, really fun and I actually love the whole dress-up thing. It sucks how I have to have a guide on the computer right behind me to make sure I don't miss anything though. It's so stupid how you can miss out on big things like dresspheres just from not choosing the right dialogue options.

Do you want access to the ridiculously plot important Den of Woe? Hope you go to 10 places in various chapters available only in a single chapter or too bad. NG+? Nope, go get them again, schmuck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a goofy side thing but FF:ATB specifically mentions that Anima is Seymour's Final Summon. Like straight up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

Do you want access to the ridiculously plot important Den of Woe? Hope you go to 10 places in various chapters available only in a single chapter or too bad. NG+? Nope, go get them again, schmuck.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/643146-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/faqs/27415

Nah man, it's pretty okay.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ozza posted:

I think it's called FFX-2.

I get what you mean, but I don't think SE plans on having an open-roam world map in any future games barring MMOs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Let's say I'm a dumb idiot that did the Blitzball league very early on in FFX and got a Teleport sphere. Should I use it to do weird game breaking teleports on the grid or for Evade and Counter? I was thinking of making an E&C weapon for Auron, should last him until his celestial but I need a good base weapon with lots of slots and I dunno when you get those.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Evade & Counter makes you more or less invincible, so I'd go for that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Xenogenesis posted:

Evade & Counter makes you more or less invincible, so I'd go for that

When can I get a decent customizable weapon though? Don't want to slap it on some plain rear end "Piercing" thing for Auron and don't want to wait until you can buy empty 4 slot stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TARDISman posted:

Im never going to forget this line:

Seymour's Mother: "Use me and defeat Sin. Only then will the people accept you."

Because you'll be DEAD, ya little poo poo.

She's telling her like, what, 6-10-year-old son to let her die and then to go kill himself so people won't persecute him anymore.

Final Fantasy X - The Worst Mothers Edition.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

g0lbez posted:

How'd you like that Earth Eater/Greater Sphere grind? WASN'T THAT FUN??

I didn't go for 255 luck - only ended up placing Luck spheres that I found normally throughout the game. It made some of the optional bosses a lot harder since I needed to make sure I was using Aim / Luck constantly, but much better than grinding the spheres.

... the Kottos / Don Tonberry grinding for normal spheres was a pain, though.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When can I get a decent customizable weapon though? Don't want to slap it on some plain rear end "Piercing" thing for Auron and don't want to wait until you can buy empty 4 slot stuff.

Can't get any empty three/four slot weapons until post-Yunalesca I believe, so if you don't want to put it on a regular weapon, can sit on it till you get a Capture weapon, and put E&C on that: it'll help out capturing basically everything that isn't Inside Sin or in the Omega Ruins. By the time you're at the endgame, teleport spheres are fairly trivial to get anyways.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

I have no idea, shouldn't be important at though. What else were you planning on customizing it with?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Im never going to forget this line:

Seymour's Mother: "Use me and defeat Sin. Only then will the people accept you."

Because you'll be DEAD, ya little poo poo.

She's telling her like, what, 6-10-year-old son to let her die and then to go kill himself so people won't persecute him anymore.

Final Fantasy X - The Worst Mothers Edition.

I love that Seymour rejects that completely. FFX - No, gently caress You Mom

Actually its just Tidus and Seymour's moms who are messed up, right? Yuna's died from Sin but thats not exactly a unique thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How is it possible to get more than one or two chests in Remiem temple!? :psyduck:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The first buyable weapons with empty slows are from Guadosalam onwards. None of them are that amazing though. Weapons with 2 empty slots and str/mag+10% are buyable at Gagazet.

Alternatively Rikku gets a 4-slot weapon in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth.

Personally I'd slap it on a Capture weapon if it comes down to it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

I love that Seymour rejects that completely. FFX - No, gently caress You Mom

Actually its just Tidus and Seymour's moms who are messed up, right? Yuna's died from Sin but thats not exactly a unique thing.

Yeah but I don't think we know anything about any of the other mothers.

Hell the only two mothers we know about in the game don't even have names. They're just Tidus' Mom and Seymour's Mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Final Fantasy X - The Worst Mothers Parents Edition.

This is something that was pointed out in the Tipping 40s LP, pretty much every parent in the game is kinda terrible at being one. You have Jecht, who's verbally (maybe physically) abusive, you have Braska, who's negligent, well meaning, but negligent, Seymour's Mom, who's probably not firing on all cylinders considering the logic she was using before becoming Anima, and Cid, who has slight anger problems probably stemming from unresolved issues involving Yuna's mother running off with Braska. Other than that, Cid's probably the best parent of the lot, weird head tattoo aside.

EDIT: I know how words work! :downs:

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 10, 2014