Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

beetroy posted:

You ride goose wagon not because you need to but because everyone else needs you to.

Yeah joke's on you Xylow, Buggy would never abandon Mr Downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

What?!
Can Pinochet still have gout?

Yes.

beetroy posted:

b-b-b-bb-but my burgers?

So do I write in that I just had a triple bypass into my char sheet and can enjoy burgers again?

Your doctor warns you every day, even on his days off, that your cholesterol is through the roof, and everyone nags you to lay off the burgers and they're all very worried about you. Last year they actually held an intervention for you. But you have not had a heart attack or heart surgery, yet.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm in if there's space left. I'll write my character sheet tonight xoxo gossip girl

Edit: I'd like my character to be a geologist, with a focus on antarctica. He's middle aged, in good shape (lots of expeditions), and has no wife or kids, but several siblings who live all over the place. As a result, he rarely sees them. He's fairly introverted, but, after a few drinks, will happily begin lengthy discussions of geology and the environment to anyone silly enough to feign interest. He's not particularly tall, not particularly well shaven, and going grey at an alarming rate.

His name is Doug Johnson

Splode fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 10, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mills posted:

I actually did get gout last year.

I've had it for about 5, it's a bastard.

e: actually gonna play the hunter game instead.

tithin fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 10, 2014

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
I thought I might have had gout last year but it turns out I just broke my foot and didn't notice :shrug:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I have no idea about any of this but I'll follow along to see what it's about to maybe participate in the future.

I'm on Team :boonie:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Darren Lockyer is an 19 year old fullback for the Brisbane Broncos and is on track to being a sporting immortal. At this point just girlfriends, drinking, nudity and drugs as a normal league player. A good mind for an athlete. If he keeps up his good playing the godfather coach Wayne Bennett will guide him to greatness. At this pint he is a b list cełebrity in Brisbane.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Corey McKernan is one of AFL's most inspiring players, he has single handedly helped North Melbourne win the 1996 AFL Grand Final. He is arguably the most popular AFL player of that year. He is virtually unknown in Brisbane.

e: this isn't a character, its a joke

bell jar fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 10, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Now someone play Greg Norman, it'll be hilarious.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Vance van Vijswinkel is the son of Dutch immigrants. Born into upper-middle-class debauchery, he has lived in Nudgee, Brisbane for his whole life. Desperately bored with his lot in life, he spends the afternoons at Young Liberal meetings, nights trolling commie faggots on the nascent political discussion boards and the weekends playing WH40K or LARPing, which he fancies has given him some knowledge of melee combat. His favoured online handle is Tormentius. One of his best friends is Lebanese.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 10, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

All righty, just in case you end up with any spots left, I'd like to play as:

Raj Narayan

He's 17 years old and attending high school on the south side. Back in Fiji, he had struggled and studied hard to be an honor student and get accepted into a good school. But then a couple of guys who were up to no good started causing racial attacks in his neighborhood. They had one little coup and his mom got scared, so they migrated to join his auntie and uncle in Brisbane.

Raj is a bookish computer nerd, but he's now struggling to keep up his good school performance what with all the changes in his life. He wants to make friends and fit in and all, but he's pretty bitter about having to leave Fiji and can be a bit over-opinionated.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thatbastardken posted:

Now someone play Greg Norman, it'll be hilarious.

Greg Norman:

Derangement: Severe Anxiety

Trigger: High pressure situations.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Okay!

Players:
1. beetroy
2. bell jar
3. Bifauxnen
4. Lizard Combatant
5. Mills
6. Sir Coq of Nandos
7. splode
8. thatbastardken

So here's how character creation works! Go to this site and register (just a name, password, and email, there's not even a confirmation, it's painless), and then pick Werewolf: the Apocalypse.

This is your character sheet.

This site will allow you to link your sheet in the game so we can keep track of your health throughout.

Ignore everything from Advantages on down for now. Right now, we're just doing humans, so that stuff doesn't come into it yet.

Fill in your character's name, your name, and a word or two for concept so others can go "Oh right, goose wagon guy" or whatever. The rest of that stuff up top comes later too.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
By the way, I know most of you are new to this, so if you need any help, feel free to ask. I'm going to be giving a breakdown of the whole process, of course, but I don't mind going more in depth on stuff.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Is there a deadline for this? Is anyone going to care if I take until the weekend to give proper effort to creating this character?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I suspect it'll take a while to get this done for everyone since everyone's new, but if it ends up taking you longer than everyone else, I have alternate starting points in mind. It's a large group, and not everyone needs to be in every scene.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I need to be in every scene.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I will be handling all the dice rolls, so you don't need to stress over this, but here's how the system works so you can read your sheet.

In this game, every action is done by adding an Attribute and an Ability together, and rolling that many 10-sided dice. Throwing a punch is Dexterity+Brawl. If you have 3 points in Dexterity and 1 point in Brawl, you roll 4 dice. The "normal" difficulty is 6, and your goal is to get at least one die above that number. So if your 4 dice end up as 2, 2, 4, 8, then you succeeded. If you rolled 2, 3, 4, 5, you failed. If you rolled 6, 8, 9, 10, you succeeded spectacularly, and extra good things could happen.

I'll give a rundown of the abilities in a bit, but first, lets do attributes.

Everything is on a scale of 0-5, 0 being negligible, 1 being below average, 2 being average, and 5 being olympic-class/best possible. As a functioning human being, all your attributes are at least 1. Please don't make a character with a 5 in anything to start off with!

What you should do first is decide: is your character more physical, more social, or more mental? Pick which is most important to your character, and add 7 points to any of those 3 attributes. Then the second most important category gets 5 points, and the least important gets 3 points.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
A quick rundown of attributes:

Physical
Strength is how much damage you can deal with a punch or a claw or a bite. Strength is how much you can lift and carry.
Dexterity is how good you are with your hands and your balance and coordination. It determines whether your punch lands, whether you're on target with your gun, how fast you run, how quiet you sneak.
Stamina is how durable you are, mentally and physically. This reduces damage taken.

Social
Charisma is how friendly, charming, and likeable you are.
Manipulation is how tricky, deceptive, and conniving you are.
Appearance is your appearance. People may judge you based on this.

Mental
Perception is how observant you are and how good your senses are.
Intelligence is your booksmarts and memory.
Wits is your reaction time and adaptability.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Can we borrow one point here or there? I was going to put social last for Raj, but that'd leave him at absolute minimum 1 point everything. I don't want hubby complaining when I get home that I made the Fresh Raj of BrisAir look like a neckbeard when he could've at least been "average". He could probably stand to lose a point off of physical stuff, too.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

Can we borrow one point here or there? I was going to put social last for Raj, but that'd leave him at absolute minimum 1 point everything. I don't want hubby complaining when I get home that I made the Fresh Raj of BrisAir look like a neckbeard when he could've at least been "average". He could probably stand to lose a point off of physical stuff, too.

After you pick your abilities, there will be 10 "freebie" points you can spend to flesh out any holes in your character. An Attribute costs 5 freebie points, an ability costs 2 point, and Willpower costs 1 point.

E: Well, if you're talking about subtracting from physical, yeah, I'll allow that.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Wait, if social is your last, you'd have 2 in everything, which is average.

All Attributes start at 1, and you get to add 7, 5, or 3 points to that.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

XyloJW posted:

Wait, if social is your last, you'd have 2 in everything, which is average.

All Attributes start at 1, and you get to add 7, 5, or 3 points to that.

Ohhhhh, now I got it. No need to worry about shuffling stuff around, then. I just thought being below average in a lot of stuff was normal for inferior human fleshbags.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Abilities: If you don't have any points in an ability, you can usually still try to do that thing, just not with much luck. If you had zero points in Brawl and tried to throw a punch, you'd just be rolling your Dexterity score. Get it? There are a few exceptions to that, though (mostly Knowledges, but things like Etiquette as well). You can't try to know things you don't know.

There are 30 of these, so I'm not going to go over them all. I'll explain a few that aren't clear here, though. If you have a question on any, let me know. And again, please don't have 5 in something at creation.

For Abilities, you once again rank them, but this time you add 13 to your best, 9 to your second best, and 5 to your worst.

Talents
Empathy determines how good you are at seeing how people really feel and how honest they're being. It might also be used to manipulate others' emotions.
Expression is writing skills. Speeches, arguments, essays.
Primal Urge is how good you are at shapeshifting. Okay, I'll just say, at character creation, you guys can take up to 1 point in this if you want. It's a useful skill for a werewolf, but there's no real reason for a human to have it. Take a point here if you want to be a 'natural' at it later on.
Streetwise is stuff like knowing the right handshakes to not get you beat up, and knowing how a drug deal goes down, and maybe what beat cops tend to run. All the little things you pick up from living in the ghetto.
Subterfuge is lying and being deceptive.

Skills
Animal Ken is how much of a Steve Irwin you are. How good are you at dealing with animals?
Crafts is if you can build a thing. Make a note somewhere what craft your character is good at, like carpentry, car repair, welding, etc.
Drive is your car skill. Vroom vroom. If you don't have a point here, you don't have a license.
Etiquette is knowing how not to embarrass yourself in formal settings.
Melee is your skill with a knife, sword, hammer, whatever. It's not a gun but not your fists.
Performance is like acting and drama stuff.
Survival is wilderness survival stuff. Camping skills.

Knowledges
Enigmas is puzzles, I guess in case I throw the Riddler at you guys.
Linguistics is how many languages you know. For each point here, you can speak a language other than English. Make sure to note somewhere what languages you speak.
Rituals is how good you are at werewolf spells. Again, there's no reason for your humans to have this, so if you think you're character is going to be all about mystic rites and ceremonies, you can take a point here and we'll just say you're a natural at it later on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Should I create another OOC/Recruitment thread or can we shoot the poo poo in here?

edit: actually we're playing different games so that'd be dumb. Also what is your position on double dipping? Should they have to nominate which game they want to play or can they do both?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm having trouble deciding how to rate my empathy skills.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

So I have one attribute with 8 points, one attribute with 6 points, one attribute with 4 points and six attributes with 1 point?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Mills posted:

So I have one attribute with 8 points, one attribute with 6 points, one attribute with 4 points and six attributes with 1 point?

No.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Mills posted:

I'm having trouble deciding how to rate my empathy skills.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Finally, Willpower, down at the bottom. Everyone gets 4 here. Make sure to select the 4th bubble and hit all 4 checkmarks. Sometimes your willpower will be tested, so we need to know your max willpower. But you can also spend willpower to automatically succeed at something. You get 1 willpower back every day or every scene, I haven't decided yet.

Now as I mentioned a bit ago, you get 10 "freebie" points to spend to fill any holes you've had. If you want to bump up an Attribute, it costs 5 freebies. If you want to increase an Ability, it's 2 freebies, and if you want to increase your Willpower it's 1 freebie.

Whenever you guys are done, click save, and link your character sheet for all the world to see!

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Mills posted:

Everything except Willpower is on a scale of 0-5, but I'm asking everyone to limit it to 4 at creation. Willpower is the only thing that can go up to 10.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

LordPants posted:

Should I create another OOC/Recruitment thread or can we shoot the poo poo in here?

edit: actually we're playing different games so that'd be dumb. Also what is your position on double dipping? Should they have to nominate which game they want to play or can they do both?

Eh. I guess I don't mind if someone plays in both if they can keep up in both.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

So how many talents/skills/knowledges do we have?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Whoops I forgot to say how many points you use for abilities. I've edited it in above, but it's 13/9/5.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

How does this look?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I want to take that point out of Survival but I can't. :cry:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Here is a sample!

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/33208

Mills posted:

How does this look?

That looks perfect! I assume from all the points in firearms, streetwise, and survival that your guy had a rough childhood/adolescence?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Double click to undo a point, it took me a few minutes to figure that out too. You may want to put a point in etiquette or leadership, if you do business lunches and don't want to embarrass yourself. Unless your dude just loving doesn't care and browbeats clients, I dunno it's up to you!

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I want to remove the point in Survival but it won't let me. Firearms is because he is a card-carrying member of the local gun club. But I toned down guns and drive for Leadership. My character did not have a rough childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

How do you define Streetwise? I just think of it as 'street smarts' like 'social smarts'.

I bumped Leadership to 4 already.

• Locked thread