Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SocketWrench posted:

Ya know, up till now I could never quite place it. The front of that truck always looked weird for some reason and now it finally hit me, it's just paint on a sheet of steel.

As for Humungus being Goose, no, he isn't. The idea was scrapped early on but is the reason the gang has police gear. So says the Mad Max wiki

The Mad Max wiki also says

quote:

There's a definite homo-erotic allure going on within Humungus' gang. He notably has two castes of warrior which he calls out in the film: "gayboy-berserkers" and "smegma-crazies". Whilst the former is self-explanatory; the latter, which references "smegma", is the word for a combination of exfoliated (shed) epithelial cells, transudated skin oils, and moisture. It occurs in both male and female genitalia. In males, smegma helps keep the glans moist and facilitates sexual intercourse by acting as a lubricant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's an overly academic way to talk about dickcheese.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SocketWrench posted:

Ya know, up till now I could never quite place it. The front of that truck always looked weird for some reason and now it finally hit me, it's just paint on a sheet of steel.

The film production was so cheap that they were concerned they might damage the truck in the stunt, so they painted a sheet of steel and mounted it in front of the grill as armor.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
How pissed were they when the truck drove over the bike and most likely seriously badly hosed up the suspension, steering, and god knows what else?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It could just be a studio/marketing thing like how Cabin in the Woods was supposed to originally come out in February 2010 and basically sat on a shelf, finished and waiting to be released, for two years.

While that's certainly a possibility, they need a very good reason to delay a release that long. Otherwise they just have a shitload of cash laying on the shelf that no one can use. As pessimistic as I generally am toward sequels to my old favorites, this development makes me even more so. If it turns out not to be completely horrible after all this, that would be a pleasant surprise.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
How pissed were they when the truck drove over the bike and most likely seriously badly hosed up the suspension, steering, and god knows what else?

Oh man, I know. That looks like it could have at least popped a few tires as well.

Word has it that Miller paid a local truck driver $50 bucks to do that scene and the installed the shield because the guy was hesitant to hit the motorcycle and dummy with the front of the truck. That was the driver's own truck, too.

I'd imagine Miller and camera crew commandeering the Pursuit Special after that shot and ordering Gibson to hit the nitrous and get them away from the angry driver.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Finally some Fury Road news!

One, that they've finished filming the drat thing: http://www.thelocationguide.com/blog/2013/12/ng-film-mad-max-4-finishes-filming-with-location-work-near-sydney/

Two, some leaked images of characters in costume. They seem legitimate, as Warner Bros has been asking websites to take them down: http://geektyrant.com/news/mad-max-fury-road-four-leaked-character-photos

The actual images are below and contain :siren: potential spoilers :siren:, so mouse over at your own risk.

I can't tell who the left two are, but bottom right looks like Nicholas Hoult so I think that's his "Nux" character. Judging by the facial deformity, I'm guessing that the top right is Hugh Keays-Byrne's "Immortan Joe" character:

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
I can't wait for this film as I'm a huge, huge Mad Max series fan. Pretty bummed that we have to wait until May 2015 though - that means we probably won't get a teaser until December 2014 at the earliest.

I also wonder if Avalanche Studios' Mad Max game will be delayed also to coincide more closely with the 2015 movie release. They initially mentioned 2014 as a release date, but they've been oddly quiet about releasing any info since revealing the game last summer.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Man I loving love that spiky truck. Dan Hardy owns so maybe this movie will be pretty good.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This is not an April Fool's joke. This image actually surfaced last week. I only noticed it now. We've finally got a new image of Tom Hardy as Mad Max:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Well, I'm excited.

This series has always had such wonderfully bizarre characters.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
Some cool concept art for Fury Road showed up on Ebay (and was then taken down or sold it looks like). Some of the character and vehicle art looks to be a pretty close match to set photos - I expect these designs will be fairly close to what we see on-screen. More images at Aint It Cool. Looks like Rictus Erectus will be the "Wez" to Immortan Joe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cool designs.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Wow. That looks awesome. Also, glad to see some more material leaking out.

(I'll add this link to the OP, thanks!)

Oh, yeah, I noticed this at the bottom:

quote:

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD opens May 15, 2015.

Hadn't seen a precise date before, so that's interesting.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Found this. A conflicting plot summary:

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/mad-max-fury-road-conflicting-plot-details-emerge-as-tom-hardy-looks-rugged-in-photo-98915/

quote:

In the newest edition of the Mad Max series, he will be portrayed by the actor Tom Hardy, and will take place before the second installment. The story will fill the gap of how Max transitioned from a rogue police officer to a survivalist in the Outback as he was portrayed in the second and third film installment.

Shortly after avenging his wife and son’s death Max Rockatansky has left the MFP and he left for the Outback, and he is now on his own, as the world slowly plummets in the aftermath of the oil crisis and the global war. With nothing except his powerful Pursuit Special, Max now has to learn how to survive the post-apocalyptic wastelands and battle the fierce, ruthless warriors who inhabit them.

Hard to say how valid it is, as following the bread-crumb trail back it looks like this information came from Wikipedia articles. However, said articles have already had the quoted text removed. It is a mystery! Also, maybe a conspiracy! Probably some idiot messing around, who knows. At this point, even rumours are better than no Mad Max news at all.

Also, there has been a brief interview including set pics with the fight choreographer and weapons advisor for the film, Greg Van Borssum (who also worked with George Miller on Happy Feet 1 and 2): http://www.manlymovie.net/2014/04/mad-max-fury-road-weapons-advisor-talks.html

quote:

"The parkour world has been a massive part of action films for the past few years, but even now, it is becoming dated, as did the Hong Kong-style wire action seen in The Matrix years before and even the Bourne-style fighting is becoming a regular thing.

I wanted to make the action less flashy and more realistic of a world that has been built on the remnants of warfare survivors and scavengers. I designed a number of gun fighting sequences for the film, but there was one in particular, that, if cut correctly, should be enjoyable to watch."

It's debatable whether or not "Fury Road" will work as PG-13, assuming it even is PG-13. Nonetheless Borssum has been saying that: "There were some very difficult fight sequences, as not only were they being performed on moving vehicles, they were using improvised weaponry and other things."

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005
So there was a test screening of Fury Road last week (over a year in advance of its May 2015 release) and the impressions of the unfinished film seem to be mixed. Some impression quotes gathered from here:

quote:

My friend said it was pretty badass, basically one long chase movie. He felt the current cut was pushing the PG-13 limit, and naturally encouraged them to just go full R.

quote:

Just saw a Mad Max advance screening. I can’t say much about it but let’s just hope they do tons of re-shoots before it’s released next year, or start again from scratch. Also Tom Hardy can’t stop doing the Bane voice. So annoying.

quote:

if The Road Warrior is The Terminator in terms of action and quality then Fury Road is Terminator 2.

quote:

It's a fantastic ensemble cast. Tom Hardy is really good as Max. As in the Road Warrior, Max is a man of very few words in this movie, especially for the first 2/3rds of it. He doesn't play the character exactly the same as Mel played it. In some ways, he's a bit of a different character. And as I said before, this film is more of an ensemble piece with several characters all working together toward a goal. In the original trilogy, Mel was sort of like Clint Eastwood in the Man With No Name westerns. He had a clear goal and we followed him as he sought that goal. That aspect is not quite as strong in this film. That may bother some people, but it didn't bother me.

I think Tom Hardy was a good choice because he's a good, charismatic actor who is willing to be the lead in the movie but not say a lot. Another actor might have demanded more lines, more focus on him, etc..

Charlize Theron is great too and has a really cool look with her shaved head and sporting a mechanical arm. Nicholas Hoult was pretty great to, although almost completely unrecognizable.

There were some serious die-hard Mad Max fans in the audience and they all loved it. The consensus was that it was worth the 30 year wait and that they didn't care that it was very different from the early films.

It does NOT take place anywhere in the timeline of the other films. Not really. I feel like the person who said that only said that because Max is driving the Black on Black V8 Interceptor at the beginning (sorry if that's a mild spoiler). But basically everything else about this movie is different. But there are little nods to the other films all over. I wouldn't even say this takes place in the same world as the other films. It's a different post-apocalyptic world. Max is even a different character in some ways. It's actually easier to describe the few things that are the same in this film as the other trilogy than to try and describe all the things that are different (it didn't matter, the fans loved it anyway).

quote:

...there are some slight mutations. Costumes and personalities are definitely over the top (in a good way). As far as makeup for mutations, I think it's all pretty much on the realistic side. Nobody running around looking like an alien or inhuman monster.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There's some interesting stuff in there and I'm heartened by the overall positive response, considering all the delays, but holy crap those people are getting WAAAY too wound up about continuity and whether or not there are enough callbacks to the older films.

Caustic
Jan 20, 2005

Blind Sally posted:

There's some interesting stuff in there and I'm heartened by the overall positive response, considering all the delays, but holy crap those people are getting WAAAY too wound up about continuity and whether or not there are enough callbacks to the older films.

No kidding. I have no problem with Max being a timeless post-apoc figure that exists outside of a linear timeline. The trilogy can pretty much exist each as their own stand-alone story anyway. The Road Warrior was framed as a relayed legend/story by the Feral Kid with all of the embellishment/inaccuracy that that implies, and I imagine Fury Road will have a similar framing, what with the "Word Burgers of the History Men" plot description that came out some time ago.

There's a unsubstantiated rumor that a Fury Road teaser might be attached to the Godzilla movie this summer, but I'm not holding my (atomic) breath since Fury Road's release is over a year out. Would be nice though, just to get an idea of the look of the film and a glimpse of the characters.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Blind Sally posted:

Especially since the first and second movies in the series are already practically in different universes/continuities.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It always confused me how the first movie had a seemingly intact society but the second one everything went to poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kingtheninja posted:

It always confused me how the first movie had a seemingly intact society but the second one everything went to poo poo.

Mad Max isn't postnuclear.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kingtheninja posted:

I think poo poo was generally in decline in the first movie, but cops were still running things in "civilization." Sort of.

The second movie takes place out in the boonies. Maybe there are still cops holding things together elsewhere, but not there.

Bartertown in Thunderdome was an attempt to bring order back to the chaos, but not with democracy... that poo poo (pig) was run by a Queen.

I rewatched the trilogy recently.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mad Max isn't postnuclear.

The oasis kids in Thunderdome say differently.

I believe that it's implied the backstory is that there's was a nuclear war, limited or not, that has left Australia relatively intact but starving for fuel.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 9, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Young Freud posted:

So does the intro to Mad Max 2. I think society was just barely holding it togther in the first film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Young Freud posted:

I believe that it's implied the backstory is that there's was a nuclear war, limited or not, that has left Australia relatively intact but starving for fuel.

Yeah, I know, but the first film ("Mad Max") happens before some unnamed cataclysm. Society is just crumbling because we're running out of oil, but that doesn't mean there's suddenly no houses.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Mad Max is definitely dystopian but not quite post apocalypse.

The Road Warrior is specifically post apocalypse though.

Mad Max 3 however is definitely absolute garbage.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

Mad Max is definitely dystopian but not quite post apocalypse.

The Road Warrior is specifically post apocalypse though.

Beyond Thunderdome is better than the other two put together. WHO RUNS BARTERTOWN?!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

gayboy-berserkers

Awesome, I was looking for a name for my office soccer team.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Rewatched the intro in the Road Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

It pretty clearly frames it as though Mad Max occurred after the "apocalypse". However, it also doesn't frame WWIII as a wholly nuclear affair. It's possible that there was limited use of nuclear weapons though, but the big issue seems to stem around an energy crisis being set off in the wake of the conflict. That's when the politicians "talked and talked" while society began to crumble around them, swallowing up people such as Max and his family.

The first film fits this description. But also, the Road Warrior takes place out in the desert wastes far from any remaining city centre. Both films could be post-apocalyptic, just set in different parts of the continent.

EDIT:

Nutsngum posted:

Aww. I liked Thunderdome.

PROGRAM, ALL OF YOU, PROGRAM! IF HE AIN'T CAPTAIN WALKER, THEN WHO IS HE?

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 9, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The problem with Thunderdome is that some parts are really good, but some parts are just awful. And the chase scene at the end is disappointing compared to the one from The Road Warrior.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Great Rumbler posted:

The problem with Thunderdome is that some parts are really good, but some parts are just awful.

That better not be a knock on the Riddley Walker homage with the kids.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blind Sally posted:

Rewatched the intro in the Road Warrior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n29c-q3_8Q

It pretty clearly frames it as though Mad Max occurred after the "apocalypse". However, it also doesn't frame WWIII as a wholly nuclear affair. It's possible that there was limited use of nuclear weapons though, but the big issue seems to stem around an energy crisis being set off in the wake of the conflict. That's when the politicians "talked and talked" while society began to crumble around them, swallowing up people such as Max and his family.

The first film fits this description. But also, the Road Warrior takes place out in the desert wastes far from any remaining city centre. Both films could be post-apocalyptic, just set in different parts of the continent.

EDIT:

Aww. I liked Thunderdome.

PROGRAM, ALL OF YOU, PROGRAM! IF HE AIN'T CAPTAIN WALKER, THEN WHO IS HE?

The collapse of industrial civilization is pretty drat apocalyptic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Does it really matter?

If you want to get really technical about it, Feral Kid is retelling the story to an audience who is picturing what they are familiar with. We're seeing what the audience is seeing. Things could have been mediocre or more like the first movie when Feral Kid was a child, but much worse when he was an old man retelling the story. The audience, unfamiliar with the world the way it was when Mad Max happened, picture The Road Warrior happening in the world they know.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I love how I can read posts where people complain about test screening audiences questioning the film's continuity, and then on the same page see the exact same thing.

But I'm no better, so just to be clear, Mad Max takes place in a society on the brink after a nuclear war. People born after the mid-eighties learn this via the intro to Road Warrior. This was explicit when the movie was new though as it was a typical, though extremely cynical, take on the same material seen in Alas Babylon, On the Beach, etc. Nuclear war destroys the major powers, focus is on a rural area where society slowly breaks down. This was a really standard novel throughout the seventies and early eighties resulting from the world having the brutality of war being revealed from so much of Vietnam being televized.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I was going to bring up On The Beach, but you could also bring up other ANZAC postapoc movies: Smoke Em If You Got Em, Dead End Drive In, Hardware, etc. where the catastrophe isn't necessarily a neutron bomb vaporizing skyscrapers, but isolation from the rest of the world.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I was going to bring up On The Beach, but you could also bring up other ANZAC postapoc movies: Smoke Em If You Got Em, Dead End Drive In, Hardware, etc. where the catastrophe isn't necessarily a neutron bomb vaporizing skyscrapers, but isolation from the rest of the world.

HARDWARE isn't ANZAC.

:spergin:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Clipperton posted:

HARDWARE isn't ANZAC.

:spergin:

Oh right, it's South African, my bad :shobon:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Oh right, it's South African, my bad :shobon:

Don't get us racists mixed up with those other racists

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The gag with the merchant selling water that sets off Max's Geiger counter would also imply that some kind of nuclear catastrophe took place.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neo Rasa posted:

I love how I can read posts where people complain about test screening audiences questioning the film's continuity, and then on the same page see the exact same thing.

Hey, what's a little fallout?

(How's that saying go? To be human is to be a hypocrite?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah, that's what I've figured. I recently started thinking about nuclear war again, thanks to the Russian aggression into Ukraine, and came to the conclusion that even a full-on nuclear war with our modern stockpiles would largely be confined to the northern hemisphere. Unless directly targeted, which would be unlikely give that most nuclear attacks would be counterforce (against military installations and nuclear launch sites and stockpiles), most population centers in the southern hemisphere would largely be untouched, given that fallout would be contained by the northern jet streams and the large stretches of ocean would diluted fallout from whatever targets in the south that are hit. Places like South America, Africa, and Australia would be largely undamaged, but heavily isolated.

• Locked thread