Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Schwack posted:

Especially the part where the guy speculates that it may have been a workout for a team at the bottom of the first. This could be a huge miscalculation on his part if he ends up dropping that far.

edit: No, Seattle Seahawks/San Francisco 49ers/New Orleans Sains/Denver Broncos I'm too tired to work out today. Please don't pick me in the upcoming draft.

That or it's just a hit piece leaked to help the guy fall.

Or it was the Browns who keep getting mocked to draft him at #26 with the Colts pick they fleeced away.

Its probably the Browns if its true. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

1. Cam Cameron
2. Von Miller
3. Marcel Dareus
4. A.J. Green
5. Patrick Peterson
6. Julio Jones
7. Aldon Smith
8. Jake Locker
9. Tyron Smith
10. Blaine Gabbert
I like how no one noticed this.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Miko posted:

I like how no one noticed this.
:raise:

oldskool on the last page posted:

Honestly, drafting an offensive coordinator R1-1 wouldn't have been a bad move for the 2011 Panthers.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Girl With Huge Tits posted:

Jacksonville Jaguars 2006 Draft

Round 1 - Pick 28 - Overall 28
Marcedes Lewis (TE): Great run blocking tight end with highly under rated catching ability, mostly due to his production falling off a cliff following his lone Pro-Bowl season. His time with the franchise will likely be up after next year as the offense continues to get younger.

Round 2 - Pick 28 - Overall 60
Maurice Jones-Drew (RB): The face of the franchise for the past decade and the holder of a number of franchise records that aren't likely to be touched for some time. Hit the free agent market and signed in Oakland marking a return to his hometown.

Round 3 - Pick 16 - Overall 80
Clint Ingram (LB): I feel like I should know more about this guy and his time with the team...but I don't. Played in Jacksonville for 3 years, sustained a knee injury that saw him released. Signed with the Saints and placed on PUP. Released about a month into the season.

Round 5 - Pick 28 - Overall 160
Clint Hawkins (DE): Name: Perrenial Pro-Bowler, Player: Not even close. Contributed on special teams some. Released in 08.

Round 7 - Pick 5 - Overall 213
James Wyche (DE) - Majority of his time was Practice Squad and IR. Released in 09.

Round 7 - Pick 28 - Overall 236
Dee Web (CB) - Training camp cut one year later.

I went looking for the 2006 draft just before you posted this and...their drafts are so sad as a whole.

How many pro bowlers have the Jaguars drafted from 2007 on?!

zero.

(MJD and Marcedes Lewis are the last pro bowlers drafted by the Jags.)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Eugene Monroe probably should have gone at some point, not that it helps a lot since he's gone now I'm sure.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Grittybeard posted:

Eugene Monroe probably should have gone at some point, not that it helps a lot since he's gone now I'm sure.

:smith:

Man, I hope Joeckel is actually good at playing LT in the NFL once he recovers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

xeria posted:

I went looking for the 2006 draft just before you posted this and...their drafts are so sad as a whole.

How many pro bowlers have the Jaguars drafted from 2007 on?!

zero.

Yup, they've had the longest drought:

Most recently drafted pro bowler
'13: Packers, Bears, Vikings, 49'ers
'12: Colts, Chiefs, Eagles, Washington, Buccaneers, Panthers, Seahawks, Cardinals
'11: Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals, Texans, Broncos, Cowboys, Saints, Falcons, Rams
'10: Patriots, Steelers, Titans, Chargers, Giants, Lions
'09: <na>
'08: Ravens
'07: Jets, Raiders
'06: Jaguars

Interesting that 10 of the 12 teams to draft a pro bowler in the last two years were in the NFC, while 8 of the 10 to fail to do so since 2010 were AFC.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 10, 2014

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uhh hahaha why would you think this was a good idea

Good, now we can trade down and still get him.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is it worse to blow off a workout because you were too tired, or to go ahead and work out anyway and look bad because you were too worn out to perform well?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Probably worse to blow it off because poor work ethic will make you drop much faster. A bad workout and you can still point to the game tape.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

John Brown posted:

Wait, what?! Why didn't he have surgery? He was the next LT :(

He was dumb. He tore his ACL in like, week 12 or whenever they played Tennessee, kept playing on the knee the rest of the season and the playoffs, and decided he'd let it heal on its own.

He played one game in 2008 then went on IR, and his career was done.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Probably worse to blow it off because poor work ethic will make you drop much faster. A bad workout and you can still point to the game tape.

"blow off" also makes it sound like he didn't even show up. Even if you're too tired to perform well you show up and talk to the guy and be apologetic vs staying home and playing Titanfall

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Uhh hahaha why would you think this was a good idea

good, i hope all the loving retard steelers blogs stop slotting him at their first round pick because i would rage so god drat hard

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

xeria posted:

If I'm not mistaken this was the last Shack Harris draft as well.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

say no to bats posted:

Or it was the Browns who keep getting mocked to draft him at #26 with the Colts pick they fleeced away.

Its probably the Browns if its true. :shrug:

Hoping it was the Panthers, so they get a different receiver and don't draft yet another tall guy with stone hands and zero work ethic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

From one over-hyped QB pick to another

Rotoworld posted:

Pitt QB Tom Savage went at the top of the second round, No. 33 overall, to the Texans in ESPN analyst Todd McShay's newest mock draft.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Who the gently caress is that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

Who the gently caress is that

First he went to Rutgers, then he got hurt.

So he transferred to Arizona, but then RichRod got hired.

So he transferred to Pittsburg because it was sufficiently boring for him.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

Girl With Huge Tits posted:

If I'm not mistaken this was the last Shack Harris draft as well.

Shack was actually around until December 2008, so he's also responsible for the 2007 Draft (Reggie Nelson, Mike Sims-Walker, and Uche Nwaneri are the "luminaries" from this one) and the 2008 Draft (quite possibly the worst draft class ever; Derrick Harvey, Quentin Groves, Thomas Williams, Trae Williams, and Chauncey Washington). God, I just looked and was reminded that the Jags traded the 26th pick, plus 2 3rds and a 4th to move up and pick Harvey...then swapped seconds plus gave up a 5th and a 2009 7th to move up and take Groves. :gonk:

From one over-hyped QB pick to another

McShay has to be on a lot of drugs between this and sending Bridgewater to Tennessee at 11. I'm not a fan of Jake Locker by any means, but why on Earth would you spend that pick on a QB?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thatguyclint posted:

McShay has to be on a lot of drugs between this and sending Bridgewater to Tennessee at 11. I'm not a fan of Jake Locker by any means, but why on Earth would you spend that pick on a QB?

Because Bridgewater falls to you and you like him and don't believe in Jake Locker? I mean, that doesn't seem very far-fetched to me. Is anyone in the organization left from the group who took Locker?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

thatguyclint posted:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339379/article/jake-locker-the-present-but-titans-looking-for-next-qb

quote:

The team's brass already has visited with several top quarterback prospects, Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles and Derek Carr.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'll work on the OP for a draft year team tourney today, try to get it out this weekend.

Ehud posted:

@Gil_Brandt: Kelvin Benjamin 30th in my new rankings. Was told KB recently blew off workout w NFL coach who had made special trip, said he was too tired

lol

I hope one day mass media is even more intrusive so we can get to see the look on a coach's face when this happens. I'm picturing a mix of shock, disbelief, rage, and cynical humor. It's glorious. I hope it was Jim Harbaugh. :allears:

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

quote:

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler Apr 9
Working the phones this morning to get the current pulse of this QB draft class. Jimmy Garoppolo is quietly a very coveted player #NFLDraft

MonsterWalk's QB wishlist based on poo poo-all:

1.) JFF
2.) Bridge
3a.) BORT
3b.) Jimmy G

(Not Pictured: Derek "Egg" Carr)

fan of the browns fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 11, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'm not much of a Bortles fan where he's projected and I do kinda like Garoppolo as a sleeper, but if I were making a wish list I'd probably have Bortles higher.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and the world continues to shun Future MVP Jeff Mathews

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
And since I googled something that said Charley Casserly said Jimmy G had the best tape of any quarterback in the draft let's look up his quarterback draft history in the NFL:

1992: Chris Hakel, 4th round
1994: Heath Shuler, 1st round, 3rd overall
1994: Gus Frerotte, 7th round--good job hedging your bets I guess, he was useful if dumb
2002: David Carr, 1st round, 1st overall
2003: Dave Ragone, 3rd round
2004: B.J. Symons, 7th round

Hmmm...

e: Casserly has Bortles as the #1 QB on his board anyway because of competition

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 11, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah I got you trumped there

2011 posted:

NFL Network's Charley Casserly told PhiladelphiaEagles.com recently that if he was still a general manager, and he was for two Super Bowl champion teams, he would draft the Eagles' Kevin Kolb 100 times out of 100 over first-round prospect Cam Newton.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Oh, we're posting more past drafts now? While other teams were landing perennial Pro-Bowlers, the Bills....were not.
1-13 : WR Lee Evans, Wisconsin
A good receiver who was with the team for most of his career before being traded to the Ravens for a flat bottle of Faygo by Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey. They came out ahead, as Evans couldn't get healthy again. Now out of football.

1-22: QB J.P. Losman, Tulane
The Bills traded a boatload of picks to the Cowboys to move up and draft Losman. He never saw success in the NFL. Out of football.

3-74: DT Tim Anderson, Ohio State
Kind of like Kyle Williams, if Kyle Williams were weak, slow, and utterly useless. Out of football.

4-109 : TE Tim Euhus, Oregon State
Bad tight end who never threatened a starting job held by Mark Campbell and Robert Royal. Out of football.

7-207 : T Dylan McFarland, Montana
I have no idea who this is, but he certainly wasn't on the team for very long. Out of football.

7-214 : WR Johnnie Smith, Georgia
Small, slow, useless. Out of football.

2-55 : WR Roscoe Parrish, Miami
A good slot receiver and kick returner, but always plagued by injuries. Out of football.

3-86 : TE Kevin Everett, Miami
Most famous for almost dying on the field. Otherwise was a poor back-up. Out of football.

4-122 : C Raymond "Duke" Preston, Illinois
Was on the roster entirely too long. Couldn't cut it at center or guard, and I'm pretty sure he single-handedly blew a game against the Patriots by committing one of the dumbest personnel fouls ever. Out of football.

5-156 : CB Eric King, Wake Forest
He was warming the bench invisibly before Ashton Youboty made it cool. Out of football.

6-197 : G Justin Geisenger, Vanderbilt
Even worse than Duke Preston. Out of football.

7-236 : RB Lionel Gates, Louisville.
Was involved in one really cool play his rookie year in the preseason. Was cut, never caught on anywhere else. Still more accomplished than many of the players in this post. Out of football.

Two drafts, twelve picks, two players who weren't steaming piles of poo poo. :smithicide:

Kurgarra Queen fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 11, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yeah I got you trumped there

I know a lot of us say things like "psh, fat goons think they know better than GMs". But, sometimes we really loving do.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

1-13 : WR Lee Evans, Wisconsin
A good receiver who was with the team for most of his career before being traded to the Ravens for a flat bottle of Faygo by Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey to the Ravens. They came out ahead.

If by they you mean the Ravens they did not and I hate you.

I'm pretty sure Casserly is only getting dumber. Tonight he said that he'd take Taylor Lewan over Jake Matthews. I don't care how bad Michigan fudged Lewan's stat sheet he isn't a third as good as Matthews.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If by they you mean the Ravens they did not and I hate you.

I'm pretty sure Casserly is only getting dumber. Tonight he said that he'd take Taylor Lewan over Jake Matthews. I don't care how bad Michigan fudged Lewan's stat sheet he isn't a third as good as Matthews.
I fixed it in my post. The Bills certainly did come out on top. A shame that Lee Evans ended his career like that, but it happens.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Oddly enough it may have helped Baltimore overall. Harbaugh hates playing rookies and I doubt Torrey Smith would have seen the play time he needed early on to develop into the player he's become. That dropped ball still hurts though.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lewan absolutely can be viewed as better than Matthews because Lewan is a monster run blocker and has the best nasty streak Ive seen a OT have in YEARS. He's like a Virginia D'Brick. Loves to just crush people and get to linebackers.

He just doesn't have that matthews leg kickout. Not even close. But you can teach that. He's got the agility and speed to do it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Casserly will tell you over and over he made the call on Mario over Reggie Bush because the team was certainly going to let the guy who was going to be fired after the draft overrule the incoming head coach and staff

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Lewan absolutely can be viewed as better than Matthews because Lewan is a monster run blocker and has the best nasty streak Ive seen a OT have in YEARS. He's like a Virginia D'Brick. Loves to just crush people and get to linebackers.

He just doesn't have that matthews leg kickout. Not even close. But you can teach that. He's got the agility and speed to do it

That nasty streak is going to translate to a lot of penalties and to dismiss Matthews' incredibly technically sound play as something that can just be taught seems a little disingenuous.

Also I just found out that Jake Matthews and Troy Niklas, the TE out of Notre Dame, are cousins. By the next generation the NFL will be one third Matthews clan.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 11, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Lewan will also stand up and defend your other players from accurate rape charges, real team player.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Of all the quarterbacks drafted in the first two rounds, I poo poo you people not, there is nobody worse than Tom Savage on that list.

Nobody.

Changing schools twice isn't going to change how loving awful he is at everything other than being a large human.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Of all the quarterbacks drafted in the first two rounds, I poo poo you people not, there is nobody worse than Tom Savage on that list.

Nobody.

Changing schools twice isn't going to change how loving awful he is at everything other than being a large human.

Ryan Leaf?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Was a good college quarterback at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That nasty streak is going to translate to a lot of penalties and to dismiss Matthews' incredibly technically sound play as something that can just be taught seems a little disingenuous.

Also I just found out that Jake Matthews and Troy Niklas, the TE out of Notre Dame, are cousins. By the next generation the NFL will be one third Matthews clan.

It's not disingenuous , it's just the truth. He likely isn't as athletic as Matthews (who, IMO isn't as athletic as Robinson) but you can easily teach a guy the proper technique and he can work on it.

It worked with that other michigan tackle. Lewan is also a major shithead though

• Locked thread