Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Raku posted:

as opposed to the bus or the subway?

Yeah, but you can do poo poo on the bus or subway, so it's a tad different than sitting in rush hour traffic for an hour and a half going home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
SBNation doing some reporting:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

Covers and interview with a "bag-man" for an SEC team.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

KKKLIP ART posted:

Something neat for the Coctail Party crowd:

I like that. I think USC-UCLA do that too, you just have to agree beforehand so you don't forfeit a timeout, right?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

an adult beverage posted:

I like that. I think USC-UCLA do that too, you just have to agree beforehand so you don't forfeit a timeout, right?

It is one of those things that really doesn't make any sort of difference, but is cool either way.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

kayakyakr posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

"Rural Southerners make a habit of knowing each other's business."

The truest statement in that entire article. People can't mind their business down here at all.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

I appreciate that all the background art looks to be made with the spraypaint tool in paint.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

an adult beverage posted:

Yeah the teams just have to agree. Supposedly the NCAA was inspired to change the rule after USC and UCLA both agreed to willingly forfeit timeouts in '08 (one team to wear the colored jerseys and the other as a measure of fairness or whatever) to revive the tradition that apparently goes back to when they were sharing a home field or something like that.

It's popped up in some random other games too; I wanna say Air Force and Houston both wore home jerseys in a bowl game during that span where they played each other five times in three seasons or whatever silliness it was.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Former UGA S Josh Harvey-Clemons --> Louisville

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vikingstrike posted:

Yeah, but you can do poo poo on the bus or subway, so it's a tad different than sitting in rush hour traffic for an hour and a half going home.

Yeah, most places don't have that problem. Honolulu, LA, some parts of DFW, Houston, NYC, Boston, and a few other big cities that are jam-packed might have those issues, but in most 150-500k people towns all over the country it's no big deal. Taking public transportation in these places takes an onerous amount of time, whereas driving is pretty quick, comfortable, and convenient.

I had to drive out of town this morning. The put up a "Home of the 2013 BCS Champions" state sign at the bottom of the Leon County sign on I-10.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

Former UGA S Josh Harvey-Clemons --> Louisville

I figured him in with another SEC team, but I guess Grantham decided to take him along. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, most places don't have that problem. Honolulu, LA, some parts of DFW, Houston, NYC, Boston, and a few other big cities that are jam-packed might have those issues, but in most 150-500k people towns all over the country it's no big deal. Taking public transportation in these places takes an onerous amount of time, whereas driving is pretty quick, comfortable, and convenient.

I had to drive out of town this morning. The put up a "Home of the 2013 BCS Champions" state sign at the bottom of the Leon County sign on I-10.

During my internship in DFW I lived at my parents house to save money otherwise spent on rent, thinking that the commute wouldn't be too bad because it only took 20 minutes. At night. Without traffic. :downs:

The difference in my mental state on the days I had to go to a client 5 minutes away and the days I went downtown and sat in traffic was astounding.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/did-aggies-mess-with-texas-state-flower-on-longhorns-campus-040914

Clever pranks like this make college rivalries cool. Playing the long game here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Democratic Pirate posted:

During my internship in DFW I lived at my parents house to save money otherwise spent on rent, thinking that the commute wouldn't be too bad because it only took 20 minutes. At night. Without traffic. :downs:

The difference in my mental state on the days I had to go to a client 5 minutes away and the days I went downtown and sat in traffic was astounding.

Yeah that's part of why I've never had a superstrong desire to live in DFW. It's one of the few places left in Texas I might live again, but I don't look forward to traffic in any way.

I spent three years living in Waikiki. When I didn't have to go anywhere that wasn't within walking or a short cab ride, gently caress yeah it was amazing. If I had to go anywhere outside of a 3 mile area, gently caress that noise. I had friends that would bike the 13 miles home from work faster than some people could drive it. Ever since I've been back in mostly small to medium cities and they're just the best for actually getting around and being productive.

SaltLick posted:

http://msn.foxsports.com/southwest/story/did-aggies-mess-with-texas-state-flower-on-longhorns-campus-040914

Clever pranks like this make college rivalries cool. Playing the long game here.

That is so much funnier than poisoning a tree. Although it's going to spread like wildfire and eradicate bluebonnets everywhere.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, in those cities where traffic does blow, taking public transportation is the lesser of two evils usually. Or, you could take a city like Atlanta where traffic is miserable and the only public transit they have is Marta (which sucks too), so you just sit in the car anyway.

Being able to drive places when you need/want to is awesome.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Something neat for the Coctail Party crowd:

This is pretty cool.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kayakyakr posted:

Quoting my own post to mention that this "bag-man" is most likely an Ole Miss booster. The coach that was cut off because he cussed too much would have been Orgeron.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Basil Hayden posted:

Yeah the teams just have to agree. Supposedly the NCAA was inspired to change the rule after USC and UCLA both agreed to willingly forfeit timeouts in '08 (one team to wear the colored jerseys and the other as a measure of fairness or whatever) to revive the tradition that apparently goes back to when they were sharing a home field or something like that.

Yeah Neuheisel and Carroll agreed to bring it back in '08, and we've been doing it since. Except for 2011 when our athletic department decided to bust out an all-white version for some stupid loving reason and we promptly got dicksmashed 50-0.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

Yeah, in those cities where traffic does blow, taking public transportation is the lesser of two evils usually.

I can promise you public transportation in Houston is a waste of time, and that's to be expected of a transit system created by suburban developers and car dealers to prove public transportation sucks. Hopefully I don't have but a few more years to deal with it.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Eric LeGrand eating pretzels.

The range of motion he's gotten back is goddamn amazing.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

Quoting my own post to mention that this "bag-man" is most likely an Ole Miss booster. The coach that was cut off because he cussed too much would have been Orgeron.

That article has not generated enough discussion. Probably the most interesting piece of sports journalism I've seen in many months. I mean we all know that stuff goes on and there's really no way to stop it, but we usually don't get any details until 15+ years after the fact.

The part about boosters who employ large numbers of working class people being used to give jobs to family members or put pressure on family members already employed there is really hosed up. Bribing recruits I can kind of live with, threatening their families' livelihood is crossing a whole other line.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Korranus posted:

I can promise you public transportation in Houston is a waste of time, and that's to be expected of a transit system created by suburban developers and car dealers to prove public transportation sucks. Hopefully I don't have but a few more years to deal with it.

I gave the example of Atlanta which is the same way though? I'm not debating this point. All I was saying is that in places like NYC I would say gently caress it to driving and just use whatever else I could.

Maybe I'm being lovely at conveying my point. I don't care enough ab public transit to continue this. I ride my bike and drive when I must so public transit I care not. Just speaking from the experiences I've had in some if the larger cities with decent alternatives.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 10, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Should do it with celery instead imo.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Also does the package include a baseball stadium that 5A high school players wouldn't be ashamed to play in?

Late, but this is already in under construction and is being paid for separately:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

With regard to the Bagman article, money changing hands doesn't really bother me that much - I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of formal pay-for-play system, though I won't pretend to know how a smart person would implement it. In cases where it helps keep impoverished kids or their families afloat, I'd almost even say it's a net positive. What bothers me more is shuttling kids into basket-weaving degrees and ROI stuff - not that that stuff really surprises me, mind.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Spiritus Nox posted:

With regard to the Bagman article, money changing hands doesn't really bother me that much - I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of formal pay-for-play system, though I won't pretend to know how a smart person would implement it. In cases where it helps keep impoverished kids or their families afloat, I'd almost even say it's a net positive. What bothers me more is shuttling kids into basket-weaving degrees and ROI stuff - not that that stuff really surprises me, mind.

Did you not see the point where the guy says even if they start paying players the bagmen won't be out of work?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yeah it's pretty dark when they come out and say they prefer for players to get a useless degree so they'll just end up coaching in HS football programs and steer more players toward the school they went to. Granted a lot of these players have zero chance of passing the classes required for a more valuable degree, but it still shouldn't be the preference when both are realistic possibilities.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

kayakyakr posted:

This is an incredible article and definitely worth everyone's time.

The part about how being a bagman is related to having easy access to cash money is fascinating, especially about how it favors agricultural work. It definitely explains how this would favor areas with lots of agriculture or similar lines of work, which might very well explain how Auburn might be more able to do this than Pitt.

I also think there's a trouble with cause and effect with how this affects competitiveness. If you're a school like Alabama, then you have a history, fanbase and legitimate booster power to be competitive nationally without any $100 handshakes, which encourages the devotion necessary for bagmen to exist. Of course, bagmen grease the wheels on gaining the recruits necessary to win and build prestige, so there's a definite feedback loop there.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Democrazy posted:

The part about how being a bagman is related to having easy access to cash money is fascinating, especially about how it favors agricultural work. It definitely explains how this would favor areas with lots of agriculture or similar lines of work, which might very well explain how Auburn might be more able to do this than Pitt.

I also think there's a trouble with cause and effect with how this affects competitiveness. If you're a school like Alabama, then you have a history, fanbase and legitimate booster power to be competitive nationally without any $100 handshakes, which encourages the devotion necessary for bagmen to exist. Of course, bagmen grease the wheels on gaining the recruits necessary to win and build prestige, so there's a definite feedback loop there.

Apparently, outside of East Texas (which should be called West Louisiana), the Texas HS coaches are very much against this sort of thing, trying to block out the boosters. It still happens, but not nearly to the degree that it happens in Mississippi and Alabama. I think its interesting because A&M has the people to play this kind of game, but they only can really play it in the boondocks of East Texas and out of state. So I'm wondering how that culture-shift is working out for them.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

kayakyakr posted:

Finally got around to reading this and it is fantastic.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Flat out, I don't think you can recruit on any level in the SEC without paying kids at every turn, it's too cutthroat.

And honestly, looking at how the bagman in that article describes a bagman, I'm pretty sure I not only know one at VT but openly tailgate with him.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

That article has not generated enough discussion. Probably the most interesting piece of sports journalism I've seen in many months. I mean we all know that stuff goes on and there's really no way to stop it, but we usually don't get any details until 15+ years after the fact.

The part about boosters who employ large numbers of working class people being used to give jobs to family members or put pressure on family members already employed there is really hosed up. Bribing recruits I can kind of live with, threatening their families' livelihood is crossing a whole other line.

Yeah, this is the really gross side of college football. I do dig the B1G fans in the comments trying to get on the moral high ground, though!

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

kayakyakr posted:

Apparently, outside of East Texas (which should be called West Louisiana), the Texas HS coaches are very much against this sort of thing, trying to block out the boosters. It still happens, but not nearly to the degree that it happens in Mississippi and Alabama. I think its interesting because A&M has the people to play this kind of game, but they only can really play it in the boondocks of East Texas and out of state. So I'm wondering how that culture-shift is working out for them.

I wonder if it plays a little different in Texas because there's a lot of legit money there. If you're coaching at a high school in Dallas, you have a nice program set up with a quality income coming your way, and you don't want anything messing with that. The risk is just not worth the reward.

This is just speculation, you'd know a lot more about that world than I would.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Democrazy posted:

This is essentially identical to what Henry Beach Needham was reporting about college football in the Summer of 1905 in his "The College Athlete (Part I) (Part II)" expose. This has been an issue since the dawn of college football, and I don't know any way around it short of federal legislation creating a new governing body with real investigative and subpoena power, along with federal statutes making these sorts things explicitly illegal rather than merely unethical.

The NCAA was created to try and rein it in, but it is woefully inadequate to the task.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

This is essentially identical to what Henry Beach Needham was reporting about college football in the Summer of 1905 in his "The College Athlete (Part I) (Part II)" expose. This has been an issue since the dawn of college football, and I don't know any way around it short of federal legislation creating a new governing body with real investigative and subpoena power, along with federal statutes making these sorts things explicitly illegal rather than merely unethical.

The NCAA was created to try and rein it in, but it is woefully inadequate to the task.

I seriously don't know how you can stop this kinda thing. You'd need the new laws that you mentioned, and also 24/7 monitoring of the players from the time of recruitment until they declare for the draft/graduate.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Crotch Bat posted:

Flat out, I don't think you can recruit on any level in the SEC without paying kids at every turn, it's too cutthroat.

And honestly, looking at how the bagman in that article describes a bagman, I'm pretty sure I not only know one at VT but openly tailgate with him.

Makes me question how in the hell Butch Jones pulled in that 2014 class against the rest of the SEC. Is that bagman in the interview working for Tennessee? Part of me wants to pretend its 100% on the up and up, but reading poo poo like this slaps me in the face with reality.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Federal law enforcement officers for every student athlete to make sure they aren't making any god drat money.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

Did you not see the point where the guy says even if they start paying players the bagmen won't be out of work?

Seems like it might lessen the really skeevy degree of control bagmen seem to be able to get over kids, though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Federal law enforcement officers for every student athlete to make sure they aren't making any god drat money.

Well, either they're amateurs or they're not. Paying them and pretending you aren't is the worst of both worlds.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

nate fisher posted:

Makes me question how in the hell Butch Jones pulled in that 2014 class against the rest of the SEC. Is that bagman in the interview working for Tennessee? Part of me wants to pretend its 100% on the up and up, but reading poo poo like this slaps me in the face with reality.

The bagman is from Mississippi, but Tennessee is probably not clean. Vandy might be clean. The rest of the SEC is probably guilty as hell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

The bagman is from Mississippi... Vandy might be clean.

How do you get these from the article, out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Or maybe they're amateurs that should be able to live comfortably :angel:

• Locked thread