Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Something to keep in mind with that article is that of course the dudes he talked to are going to talk up how big of an impact they have. I mean, we're talking about guys that go around and buy things for teenagers in order to help their program. But it's not like every single top recruit is literally always bought. Factors like playing time, location, program prestige, and chance to get to the NFL are still probably front and center with most of the kids. The article sounds like every single recruiting battle is just a bidding war for the moms.

Or maybe I'm like 1,000% wrong and am just being naive and it really is that shady. Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Deteriorata posted:

This is essentially identical to what Henry Beach Needham was reporting about college football in the Summer of 1905 in his "The College Athlete (Part I) (Part II)" expose. This has been an issue since the dawn of college football, and I don't know any way around it short of federal legislation creating a new governing body with real investigative and subpoena power, along with federal statutes making these sorts things explicitly illegal rather than merely unethical.

The NCAA was created to try and rein it in, but it is woefully inadequate to the task.

You must've really enjoyed reading that fresh off the newsstand.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It definitely happens at the Division III level. Remember, it is pretty much the only level where whole programs have been wiped out for improper benefits.

I agree with this, but it's also the one level where the NCAA can get away with death penalties now. Given the way they operate I'm not past the :tinfoil: stage where I believe they might just kill programs to show power/exercise someone's vendetta/be petty assholes.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 11, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

You must've really enjoyed reading that fresh off the newsstand.

Newsstand?

It was handed to him by a five year old boy standing on the street corner crying "Ex-tree, ex-tree."

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Nth-ing that the article was a very good read. I have very little doubt that it was happening big-time under Sark, given the level of recruits we were pulling in shortly after the winless season, but it's kind of amazing to actually see examples of the practice. The conversation at the end of the article was pretty amusing as well, if only to demonstrate how much even the ordinary football fan would want to contribute to mean the difference between the Meineke Bowl and the Rose Bowl.

Also Det-being-Methuselah jokes will never cease to make me laugh.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I kind of wonder how much of a difference this all makes then. Lets limit the discussion to the SEC for simplicity's sake. There are plenty of 5* and 4* guys that don't pan out, get injured, or end up ineligible for whatever reason. Similarly there are low star recruits who turn out to be really drat good. I am not saying these numbers are equal, butin terms of the impact of the bagmen on the whole team as it compares from team to team...it just seems it doesn't give any particular advantage with the caveat that all teams do so. Like if you eliminated all bagmen, would the average annual ranking of recruiting classes change that much?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

swickles posted:

I kind of wonder how much of a difference this all makes then. Lets limit the discussion to the SEC for simplicity's sake. There are plenty of 5* and 4* guys that don't pan out, get injured, or end up ineligible for whatever reason. Similarly there are low star recruits who turn out to be really drat good. I am not saying these numbers are equal, butin terms of the impact of the bagmen on the whole team as it compares from team to team...it just seems it doesn't give any particular advantage with the caveat that all teams do so. Like if you eliminated all bagmen, would the average annual ranking of recruiting classes change that much?

I'd imagine you'd see more kids staying closer to home, since the local coaches would get their hooks into them first. Less last second flipping as well.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
I wonder if there's any retribution against bagmen for losing recruits.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Not if people want to see their program stay out of the spotlight. Other than that, I imagine amongst bagmen it's just an accepted fact that you can't get everyone all the time.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Video: Texas Tech runs bull-in-the-ring dance-off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvSSCwRdJU

Participants include a break-dancing LB and Coach McDreamy himself.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I want a bagman minigame on new NCAA videogames.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

quote:

@coachjfranklin: The LION has always been a part of me,waiting for the right time 2 show his face & attack pic.twitter.com/kbOoSmaaQd

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

I came here to post this. What the gently caress was he thinking?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Uh...what? Franklin seems to have lost his entire mind since leaving Vandy.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I never thought I would know about James Franklin's otherkin, but here we are.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Oodles of Wootles posted:

There's always another bigger, better one.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Reading that bagman article yesterday, I just assumed it was about Bama. The city types, the money...it made sense.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Emron posted:

Reading that bagman article yesterday, I just assumed it was about Bama. The city types, the money...it made sense.

It was generic enough to have applied to any SEC school. I didn't immediately think of Ole Miss until somebody brought it up here.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Morby posted:

Uh...what? Franklin seems to have lost his entire mind since leaving Vandy.

Franklin was insane at Vandy.

kayakyakr posted:

Video: Texas Tech runs bull-in-the-ring dance-off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvSSCwRdJU

Participants include a break-dancing LB and Coach McDreamy himself.

White coaches dancing with their players has become cliche fast.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The whole point of that article is that it happens at every SEC (and, presumably, all major-conference) school.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Emron posted:

If I had to make a guess of schools I'd say they're located in either Mississippi or Alabama. I didn't get enough of a vibe based off everything that it was a KY/TN/SC/GA/FL thing. You never really jump to think Arkansas and I didn't feel LSU, either. That's a lot of gut feeling obviously but once I dropped those out and figuring who you hear the most about buying recruits you basically ended up with Bama, Auburn, MSU, or Ole Miss.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The whole point of that article is that it happens at every SEC (and, presumably, all major-conference) school.

Absolutely. Not to mention he says he talked to various bagmen all across the SEC over the course of 2 months leading up to Signing Day.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
If you didn't watch the video interview with Steven Godfrey, I'd highly recommend you do so. Excellent supplement to his piece.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

This is a dude great high school football players think is cool and want to play for. I give up.

Crotch Bat posted:

If I had to make a guess of schools I'd say they're located in either Mississippi or Alabama. I didn't get enough of a vibe based off everything that it was a KY/TN/SC/GA/FL thing. You never really jump to think Arkansas and I didn't feel LSU, either. That's a lot of gut feeling obviously but once I dropped those out and figuring who you hear the most about buying recruits you basically ended up with Bama, Auburn, MSU, or Ole Miss.

I would be willing to put down a ton of money on it being Ole Miss.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Hello is this the guy who drew the cover for Animorphs? Great, I'd like to commission a piece.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

This is a dude great high school football players think is cool and want to play for. I give up.

I'd say welcome to being old but if 17 year old me saw a potential future coach and mentor doing this I'd be equally as bewildered.

MourningView posted:

I would be willing to put down a ton of money on it being Ole Miss.

Absolutely wouldn't shock me, especially given recent classes of theirs. I think Bama and maybe Auburn are going to spring to mind first for most general fans but anyone who even remotely follows recruiting would think long and hard about this being Ole Miss.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Yeah, I definitely got an SEC West vibe from it. I think most of the East can be ruled out because their rival schools are either out-of-conference or out-of-state, and this particular bagman sounded like he was in direct, local competition with his alma mater's rival. So yeah, that basically leaves you with the Alabama or Mississippi schools.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh christ. :stonk:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sword of omens, give me sight beyond sight.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

You'd think that there would be at least one person around him who would see that and go "Whoa, yeah no definitely don't show that to anyone ever." Although it's way funnier to think that he secretly learned photoshop in his spare time and just has dozens of these pictures saved on his computer and was finally proud enough of one to share it with the world.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I think my favorite thing is he didn't think that the best side to make into a lion is the one without an ear showing.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sword of omens, give me sight beyond sight.

More like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugb_TIpPoWA

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Crotch Bat posted:

I think my favorite thing is he didn't think that the best side to make into a lion is the one without an ear showing.

Well you can't control your inner lion man, everyone knows that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hello is this the guy who drew the cover for Animorphs? Great, I'd like to commission a piece.

Ross can get you a GREAT deal on this.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Content related: I am curious to see if something comes out of all this. The NCAA has been underseige for months, and you have to wonder just how long Mark Emmert can stick around .

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

I'm surprised he isn't busy fighting the Yerk.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Franklin was insane at Vandy.

I never thought of him as insane at Vandy. Brash and kind of a dick? Sure! But he seemed less insane there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ross can get you a GREAT deal on this.

Man, I was trying so hard to hold back on SA2k jokes.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Content related: I am curious to see if something comes out of all this. The NCAA has been underseige for months, and you have to wonder just how long Mark Emmert can stick around .

Based on what? The guy didn't name himself or the school or players in question.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Morby posted:

Based on what? The guy didn't name himself or the school or players in question.

I mean, generally speaking, the totality of the case that serious change is needed to the NCAA is mounting, and you have to wonder how long he can continue to hold onto leadership.

MourningView posted:

Man, I was trying so hard to hold back on SA2k jokes.

Your welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It does seem like the NCAA is under more pressure than ever to at least do something. We've gone from having vague conversations about whether or not players should be compensated to having the potential to form a union (that the NFLPA approves of/backs, for what that's worth) and a lawsuit that's already forced the NCAA to give up their contract with EA and has managed to not go away for years now. On top of that, these issues aren't just relegated to sports radio shows or blogs anymore, and are becoming part of public discussion as more and more people hear about the kind of ridiculous poo poo that some NCAA athletes go through.

I think the most damning thing of all is that the NCAA doesn't seem to have a particularly good answer for any of it. They cut ties with EA because they realized that selling player likenesses for a video game for millions of dollars looks pretty bad when you're trying to argue that players shouldn't be able to make any money off of their own image. And remember when they tried to claim that NCAA athletes shouldn't be compensated for playing in <Sponsor Name> Bowl Games because they're totally news programs and not commercial broadcasts? Every defense they seem to come up with against unions or player salaries or any sort of compensation seems like some version of the bullshit 'It would ruin the sanctity of the student-athlete experience!' and 'It would completely destroy the NCAA system!' arguments. They all boil down to 'But it would change this thing that we really like because it makes us a ton of money!'

With that said I don't expect the entire thing to come crumbling down by the end of the year or anything, but you do have to wonder how long they'll be able to keep the status quo up and if they'll eventually just say gently caress it and budge on something just to relieve some of the pressure.

• Locked thread