Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Terminology might be different between canada and the us though. This is a big camp for contractors in the oil sands. I assume they're the same thing just maybe not oil sands for you guys.

Prolly making a pretty deece 6 figs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Most of those camps have comfort women

Although I think the Dakota ones get theirs from Canada so I don't know what the Canadian ones make do with.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Although I think the Dakota ones get theirs from Canada so I don't know what the Canadian ones make do with.

grover's wife

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

grover's wife

dude, don't wish that poo poo on anyone.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
except grover

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think I'm in heaven. They have a vending machine with chewing tobacco in it. This truly is a white trash paradise.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Snowdens Secret posted:

Are you sure about this BC sounds like some 1890s poo poo and a big rear end oil company/contractor is not gonna import hookers for everyone....not in first world countries anyways heh

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

Are you sure about this BC sounds like some 1890s poo poo and a big rear end oil company/contractor is not gonna import hookers for everyone....not in first world countries anyways heh

I heard they have hooker houses (or trailers probably) but I made up the part about using Canadiennes

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I heard they have hooker houses (or trailers probably) but I made up the part about using Canadiennes

Probably like how the chick who cuts your hair in Afghanistan will give you a beej if you give her a $200 tip.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

USMC503 posted:

Probably like how the chick who cuts your hair in Afghanistan will give you a beej if you give her a $200 tip.

I think almost any woman will do that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I might even do it

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Cole posted:

I might even do it

But you suck at cutting hair

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Don't let him near your pubes.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Snowdens Secret posted:

That and it's about 180 more than his regular fee

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

Don't let him near your pubes.

i heard click beelay will trim ur pubes for free

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

i heard click beelay will trim ur pubes for free
How well? I require frequent and intense manscaping with a steady hand to keep my topiary-like pubes in show condition.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

not very :gonk:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Is that the dude who tried drunk trimming his junk with a steak knife or some poo poo?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
how do you not know who our resident kiwi civilian is you dumb shitfucker?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Sorry, I didn't get gip.xls from my enterprise email before I got out.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
click beelay is p cool

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i like to imagine he does a really cool haka before he mangles his balls with a steak knife

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
hakas are p. badass

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
where is the dog thread

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
stickied at the top of the forum

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Mike-o posted:

stickied at the top of the forum

as it should be :patriot:

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
i wrote this angsty thing:

thanks for your service.

go gently caress yourself.

the things i did in the name of service are ridiculous. myself personally, it wasn't that bad. so why are you saying thank you? we did something you believe is necessary that you did not feel you had to do yourself. you’re glad i did it, but you were never willing to do it yourself. you just assumed that someone else would pick up the burden and do it for you while you lived your life the way you wanted to, and im glad you did.

you had your own experience and lived your life the way you wanted to. and i don't hold that against you, thats your right to do it that way.

however, your thanks means nothing to me. you don't understand the heartache and the training and the long thankless months and years of sacrifice that went into it. you dont know what i gave up to take that role. you dont know what i gave up to be the one on the front lines, wearing the body armor and the loaded M16 thousands of miles away from my family in position to be shot and killed in defense of your right to be you. your thanks doesn’t give me back my youth, my innocence. it doesn't repair the damaged relationships i suffered. it doesn't make me feel better. it doesn't give me back the time I spent preparing to kill on your behalf.

buying me a shot or a beer doesn’t make up for the stress I endured. the load I wore on my shoulders to protect my brothers next to me and myself. to bring honor to myself and my family. it doesn’t do a god drat thing for me. your high fives and your fist bumps don’t replace the best years of my life I spent preparing to fight and kill an enemy who wants nothing but to see us cease to exist as a nation, as a people.

you can welcome us in and tell us how much you respect us but you can never understand the daily sacrifice we made. you can never understand how much we gave up to earn our title of Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Guardsman. You can never know. You can never understand.

For the most part, I don’t throw it in your face, I don’t try to rub it in or make you feel insecure. I don’t care that you decided not to pick up a weapon and stand watch for your nation. I don’t care that you would rather go to college and drink and do drugs and gently caress around in your early 20’s. That was your choice. No one forced you to do one thing or the other. I don’t hold it against you.

But don’t you loving dare tell me how to feel, how to act, how to behave, how to treat you or talk to people. Don’t you loving dare tell me to calm down or relax. Don’t you loving dare tell me I’m over reacting when someone gets in my face or acts like a loving clown. I don’t owe you a loving a thing. I don’t give a gently caress about your feelings or your opinions or your philosophy. I have been to hell. I was lucky enough to come back alive, to come back whole. To have only suffered a minimal loss.

Enjoy your life. Enjoy your freedom. Enjoy the things you love. But don’t you ever loving look down on me with sympathy for not being satisfied with your bullshit existence. Don’t talk behind my back about how I changed or how I just don’t fit in anymore or I just don’t get it. You don’t get it, mother fucker. And you never will.

And if the day ever comes where the poo poo hits the fan and you don’t know how to adapt and you don’t know what to do, don’t you even think about coming up to me and asking for my help. I’m already in a defensive position, standing watch, taking care of the people I love. So either man the gently caress up and cover a sector under my command or go gently caress yourself. The choice is yours.

Thank you for your service.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
tldr, but read enough to think 'who gives a poo poo'

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Gonna need a tindeck of that read dramatically, possibly with thick Auckland accent

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

i didn't read that, but between that post and your marines for congress (oorah) thread you seem like a cool guy.

unless thats a copy and paste from somewhere else?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Save yourself the embarrassment of showing that block of words to people and just play them a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3kOcHwyA08

edit: you sound like an assmunch, hth

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

second best sponge posted:

I am a buttlord who wants to suck butts

A bloo bloo bloo. YOU DON'T KNOW ME DAD, I'M A VETERAN. gently caress YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!!!!

Are you 22 or something? You sound like some kind of schoolboy bitch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

second best sponge posted:

Thank you for your service.

None of us really like hearing this. It's awkward at best. You're right that it's difficult for people to understand, but man, you gotta let go of the angst. I mean talk to a counselor or something if you need.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr. Nice! posted:

None of us really like hearing this. It's awkward at best. You're right that it's difficult for people to understand, but man, you gotta let go of the angst. I mean talk to a counselor or something if you need.

Thank you for protecting and serving.

pig

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Pretty direct rebuttal article to that kind of thing:

http://www.oafnation.com/musings-of-a-grey-man/2014/4/9/long-division

quote:

Last week, I discussed the issue of the public’s perception of you as a veteran. I think it’s time we examine the other side of that challenge coin.

There exists a rift in our generation, between those that have given themselves to the GWOT, and those that have never, and would never consider it. I am not speaking of those kids graduating high school this year, or even 5 years ago. I’m talking about those of us that were 16-18 years and older, watching on our televisions as the twin towers of the World Trade Center fell and the Pentagon was wrecked. The Mount Olympus’ of our financial and military might, penetrated, and violated right before our very eyes. We watched in classrooms and at work, listened on the radio as thousands died. We ALL felt a sting of uncertainty. That day changed the world, for everyone, in one way or another,

This day has been glazed over in recent years. Sadly, September 11 comes and goes with but a whimper, a momentary blurb on TV and radio programs. I fear the thought in the recesses of the minds of many Americans is “aren’t we over this, yet?” I can only imagine that those who lost a parent, child, sibling, or spouse are, in fact, NOT thinking about how America needs to move on and get back to life in a pre-9/11 world.

That day, I had been in the delayed entry program for about 4 months, waiting to finish out my senior year of high school before shipping off to Parris Island. My friends and I all discussed how we would be going to war, joining various branches of service to go to far off lands and contribute to the effort to prevent further attacks. Two months later, we had officially put boot on the ground and began cutting threads. I watched on the news as the first units started ousting AL Qaeda and their Taliban enablers. The phone rang and it was my recruiter, asking with bated breath if I was still planning on leaving that following June. Without hesitation, I answered yes, the opposite not ever entering my mind. I asked him why he was asking me this, what I felt, stupid question. He explained that since the invasion of Afghanistan that morning, 12 of the 15 “poolees” he had slated leaving for boot camp within the fiscal year, had backed out. They or their parents had called, adamant that they would not be leaving to die in a far-off land. At that next pool function, it was a lot lonelier. There was a somber mood as it was down to me and two other guys. I was puzzled at the action of my peers. We were now engaged in a war, why wouldn’t they want to go and do what our forefathers had done?

Fast forward 13 years…

We did our tours, buried friends and enemies, achieved rank, forged reputations among our fellow warriors, and finally, when all the bureaucracy got to be too much for us, we got out. We excitedly raised up our DD-214’s, grabbed our nuts, stuck our tongues out, and flipped a bird to “the Man.” We were going to make something of ourselves.

We got jobs and started taking classes. We started businesses, took chances, made strides. But the one thing that we couldn’t figure out is why we couldn’t relate to our classmates, employees, coworkers, and girl/boyfriends. It feels as though we hold a deep-seeded resentment towards anyone that hasn’t served. It was hard looking at the people we grew up with and went to high school with as they hadn’t moved away or really accomplished much. They lived in a tiny, little world. They were sheltered. Sure, they touted their vast life experiences. But, we yawned as they described their trip to Spain or Kenya for vacation. We rolled our eyes as the captain of the wrestling team, who stood next to us 13 years ago, watching the horror unfold on 9/11, tells us, “I almost joined, but…” We have a hard time watching the garbage on television. I looked on when I got out as my girlfriend at the time watched “My Super Sweet 16” on MTV. I was shocked at the thought that THIS is what my generation considered entertainment.

It’s difficult forging new relationships and networking professionally when a vast majority of the people you encounter haven’t the same experiences as you. It’s even more difficult watching those people take life for granted. We sit and listen with thin patience as our friends and coworkers bitch about their families, or discuss the latest small-time drama. We’re just happy to have a pulse. I’m going to get to the bottom line: people that were able to serve, and didn’t, disgust us. We flock to fellow alphas in the attempt to find solace. But, being the alpha dog of an office is worlds different than being the alpha dog of an infantry platoon or SOF team. It drives us nuts taking orders, or being scolded by someone that frankly, we probably don’t respect because they aren’t our TL or Platoon Sergeant. They haven’t shown us they’re worthy. It’s even worse if the boss has an inferiority complex because you DID serve and he may not have.

It’s nigh impossible for us to make true friends in the civilian and corporate world. No one has your back like your fellow Soldier, Sailor, or Marine did. As an astute fellow vet commented on an earlier piece, we tend to judge people based on if they are living their lives worthy of the sacrifices made by our buddies. That, my friends, is a tough nut to crack.

Sometimes, we judge people by that standard, but society tells us we shouldn’t fault them for not serving. I think it’s not that they haven’t served, it’s the notion that these people felt like they had something better to do than dedicate themselves for something bigger. It’s the fact that these people don’t look past their front porch and don’t think about things in the same terms as we do. There are even people that act as though they’re the only person on the face of the Earth and their little “problem” is catastrophic. There’s a massive divide in their thought process, and our own. Granted, there are some people that can genuinely relate to us. Parents, for the most part, know what it’s like to be selfless and make sacrifices. People that have survived significant traumas in their lives and recognize the value in their second chances. However, these people are few and far between.

This divide is holding us back. Until we can find common ground, there is going to be something always eating at us. Resentment isn’t a positive thing and it could cost us valuable relationships or even jobs.

As much as we need to stop acting like we’re entitled to worship, tribute, and praise, we need to take a step back and really consider giving a civilian a real shot at our time and attention. I realize as much as any of you how hard it is to look on at those who gaffed off the country in a time of need, but we need to at least make an attempt. Who knows, that person could end up being your new boss or mother-in-law.

-Grifter

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

:vince: Kept scrolling right, kept getting better.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Thank you for this service :patriot:

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

friend of the family DEATH TURBO has a knack for getting threads back on track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005