Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#20. Very Rood

Music: Driftveil City

Of course it starts to rain as soon as I get here.

That's . . . not normal.

shabby look . . ."
Choro Notes: Driftveil has probably had the most drastic change in appearance since Black/White. It was originally like this character says: a small sort of mining-type town. Now it's all built up with hotels. Clay has been busy!

Charles Notes: Charles is still here. In Black2 he'll challenge you to Triple Battles, in White2 he'll do Rotation battles.

. . . why are you dressed like that?

Choro Notes: You can get all of the incense items here. The incenses are hold-items that have additional effects when certain monsters use them while breeding. For example, if a Roselia breeds, you will normally get a Roselia egg. But if the Roselia is holding a Rose Incense it will instead produce a Budew egg.

Always drink your milk, yo.

Choro Notes: There's a secret entrance on the left side of the building by Charles that leads to this TM. Embargo is . . . mostly useless. It prevents the target from using items.

Choro Notes: In Black/White, this guy could teach your starter Fire Pledge, Water Pledge or Grass Pledge. Here, though, he functions more like Platinum's tutors in that he teaches more moves in exchange for shards. In this case, Red shards specifically. Of which Vinny has none. He teaches some really good moves, though!

2 Shards - Covet, Bug Bite
4 Shards - Drill Run, Bounce, Signal Beam, Iron Head
6 Shards - Uproar, Seed Bomb, Super Fang, Dual Chop
8 Shards - Low Kick, Gunk Shot
10 Shards - Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch

I'll probably be back later to get Iron Head for Jawnie. It's the best Steel-type move that Mawile gets, but they don't learn it until L.56.

Well, maybe, like, they could all stay in the hotels and Charles can still be who they're here to see? Ain't like there's any other big attraction in this town.

- - -

Oh what? It's snowing now?!

There's a passing interest, yeah. I mean, not in that way if you know what I'm sayin'. The thievy stealy way

to understand us."
. . .

No, don't dwell on it.

of person you are, Trainer."
I found an old Xtransceiver on the ground and am planning on returning it. Eventually. That's more than a lotta they meatheads where I come from'd do, lemme tell ya, bro.

poo poo, yeah I can handle that.

Music: Battle! Unova Trainer Battle

Choro Notes: Rood was one of the sages Ghetsis brought together in Black/White! Haley found him moping on a beach being introspective and co-operative.

Hey let's switch in the sludge here. That's what kinda trainer I am. The kind who thinks about the well being of this chinchilla and will instead throw a toxic pile of putrid sludge for your dog to chew on. I'm pretty thoughtful, yo.

Piece a cake.

Also I use a vulture. Vulture, sludge, jackal. How am I NOT trustworthy? Name a more trustworthy thing than sludge.

Yeah, trustworthy and noble, right?

. . . you are the only person who cared that they have been bothering me since I was kicked out of my own home by my own mother.

I'm sure, I'm sure.

Oh sweet lord dammit.

HUGH. DO NOT PUNCH THIS ONE HE IS AN OLD MAN. C'MON, BRO.

C'mon man, no punch.

Ok, Hugh. This thing we are doing? Right here? With our mouths and ears? This is what makes them different.

Yeah, there's that, too.

Oy, not this again.

Choro Notes: :I

"Or not. We stole a lot of Purrloin. It's ironic, really when you think about it."

Hugh, he literally just said that. You are kind of a petulant little poo poo.

I don't care.

Good luck, have fun.

I apologize for that. He's got brain things.

If anything you've just help to reinforce certain feelings I already had.

What up?

What? Yeah, sure. I guess.

Choro Notes: Zorua and Zoroark were not obtainable in the wild (and still aren't in Black2/White2). Zorua was only obtainable via an event so technically, if you had no other way to get it, this is how you get your Zorua for Black/White. Congrats.

besides this Zorua."

Choro Notes: Vinny already encountered a monster that belonged to N, but this one is usually the first one you'll encounter. It follows the same rules as the rest of N's monsters: No nickname, Trainer ID 00002 and IVs of 30 straight across the board. This Zorua isn't a monster that N uses in battle with you, It's one of the ones who were with him in the opening cutscene to Black/White.

Choro Notes: Concordia and Anthea live here now. They don't dress like weirdos anymore, either. They're here to give you background on N and Ghetsis, mostly.

to help him take over the Unova region.

suggested he could talk to Pokémon."
Ghetsis took him in."

Choro Notes: This grunt has shown up before.

- - -
Choro Notes: If you return here with Memory Link activated . . .

Music: Unwavering Emotions

Grunt 2: Oh! Thos who are still in Team Plasma?

Grunt 1: They tried to convince me to rejoin Team Plasma.

Grunt 2: Seriously? Well, quite a few of them are still in Team Plasma. Lord Ghetsis . . . No, just Ghetsis. I guess he was actually pretty good. He's awesome! Haha. Just kidding!

Grunt 1: What? How dare you say that? How can you say such a thing even after you know what he's done to Lord N?!

Grunt 2: Of course, that was disgusting. But even if you live honestly, I'm telling you, the world is cold. As if you were surrounded by Cryogonal.

Grunt 1: Yeah, you're right. It has flaws, but Team Plasma is Team Plasma.

Grunt 2: Don't you think we could have gone to a region far away? Organizations like Team Plasma must exist everywhere. We might have gotten favorable treatment because of our experience!

Grunt 2: Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch! Owwwww!

Grunt 1: We have to do something for Pokémon. Did you forget that?

Grunt 2: Honestly, I'm sorry. But Pokémon have a hard time, too. Don't you think? Once they're in Poké Balls, that's it . . . That might happen. Still, do they really like their Trainers?

Grunt 1: Yeah! But Lord N was listening to such feelings and words from Pokémon . . . Just imagining it can break my heart.

Grunt 2: Lord N . . . I wonder where he is . . . Now, let's go find the Pokémon in N's Castle. We have to protect them.

"But it seems they know what they can do for Pokémon in their own ways."

"Compared to them . . . What was I doing? What I really should have done was tell people about how Pokémon feel . . . ! The legendary Dragon-type Pokémon knew that. It has lived long and known many people. It knew humans and Pokémon have lived and will live together. It knew that in this relationship, humans' actions have an enormous impact on Pokémon. That's why it helps the one who searches for truth . . . the one who opens the way to the future."

"It's not necessary . . . Separating black from white and humans from Pokémon! If you think in terms of each individual life, this world was in a state that couldn't be divided any further. Possibilities are born out of combining and fusing these different lives! There are some things we can understand only by doing this. It will give form to unseen things. These formulas will restructure the world and make it richer!"

"From their Poké Balls, I can hear the many different feelings Pokémon have about their Trainers! More than anything, I can hear their joy that they met people who need them!"'

"I'll go... For Pokémon, for Trainers, and for all lives..."

quote:

Experienced Saver - A Medal to recognize a smooth journey that has been recorded 50 times.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This is why nobody likes Hugh.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wow. That bit from N was interesting.

Also, it seems you accidently reused this pic instead of the one with Zorua's stats.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Super Jay Mann posted:

This is why nobody likes Hugh.

This is why I like Hugh. He's just so intense. He can't even help it. That's a kid with some deep seeded insecurities right there. 'I'm the pathetic Trainer who wasn't able to stop you.'

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think you got part of the list of Move Tutor Moves wrong because I'm playing along for the first time and I'm pretty sure it's the Blue shards guy later on that offers the Elemental Punches. Instead, Red shards had some different 10 and 12 shard moves, though I can't remember which ones they were.

I'm so glad for these tutors. Signal Beam has been very useful on a couple of pokemon on my team. Now if only I had a few more blue shards to take advantage of that tutor.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Pretty sure it's the Driftveil tutor because I used him to stick Ice Punch on my Lucario the first time I came through here.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Pureauthor posted:

Pretty sure it's the Driftveil tutor because I used him to stick Ice Punch on my Lucario the first time I came through here.

Yeah, I put Ice Punch on Azumarill there. That little bastard swept like 90% of the game and was my first level 100 pokemon during that playthrough.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a few days since I was in Driftveil. I could've sworn he had some 12 shard moves though.

e: Looked it up, I'm hallucinating. Ah well, I still love that they are around.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 11, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Playing through Y now while reading along with this LP I can't help but appreciate the storyline of these games more. Y's story is pretty flat compared to this.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
I really hate the X/Y story, and for this game's flaws (Hugh :argh:), it is miles better than the drivel they decided to write for X/Y

Oh look at me, using drivel in that sentence. I'm reading too many newspaper comment sections at work... :blush:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Nothing makes me happier than a technician bug bite Scyther, and since Black2/White2 was one of the few games that let me have one I was willing to forgive ignore Hugh for his idiocy the duration

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Darth TNT posted:

Playing through Y now while reading along with this LP I can't help but appreciate the storyline of these games more. Y's story is pretty flat compared to this.

That's mostly Team Flare's fault, really. Pretty much everything else hinges on them, and they just fail to shoulder that burden.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cleretic posted:

That's mostly Team Flare's fault, really. Pretty much everything else hinges on them, and they just fail to shoulder that burden.

I really think the finale with them should have been ether right before the Pokemon League or during it like with N. The stakes with them were really high so beating them right quite a bit before the 8th gym feels anti climatic.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cleretic posted:

True, but don't forget your annoying group of "friends". Cheren and Bianca both have some development and help out in the story. The kids following you in XY have all the character depth of cardboard cut-outs and ultimately accomplish nothing. They aren't even funny like Barry; they're just in the way.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Geostomp posted:

True, but don't forget your annoying group of "friends". Cheren and Bianca both have some development and help out in the story. The kids following you in XY have all the character depth of cardboard cut-outs and ultimately accomplish nothing. They aren't even funny like Barry; they're just in the way.

I wouldn't say they're friends per say; they're more like semi-intelligent humanoid goldfish.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I like how they portray Rood. He's really trying to do something good here.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
I love that Zorua picture and I sorta want to see other pokemon teams done like that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This is the point where I started imagining Hugh always talking in a growly Christian Bale voice. :nolan:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

SirPhoebos posted:

This is the point where I started imagining Hugh always talking in a growly Christian Bale voice. :nolan:

You just made Hugh at least twice as good a character.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Except Hugh is a dumb kid in puberty so his voice cracks suddenly and he goes into a small coughing fit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Shugojin posted:

Except Hugh is a dumb kid in puberty so his voice cracks suddenly and he goes into a small coughing fit.

Maybe Hugh being tormented by the loss of his sister's pokemon sent him off the deep end, fueling some sort testosterone supplement drug abuse and hitting puberty early.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey, you missed talking to the hiker, Red. He's either a self-jab at the generic nature of sprites or a cruel mockery of the self-delusion experienced by the obese.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Ablative posted:

You just made Hugh at least twice as good a character.

What's two times zero?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

beru04 posted:

What's two times zero?

Zero after using a Heat Haze subweapon, of course.

Wait, poo poo, wrong LP.

HUGH STILL SUCKS

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Is the cold storage still around, or did Clay tear it down to make room for more hotels?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Cattail Prophet posted:

Is the cold storage still around, or did Clay tear it down to make room for more hotels?

You'll see after we do Driftveil Gym.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hmm. It actually is an interesting approach: a world that's a complicated place where people do good and bad regardless of their allegiances, contrasted by a rival with an axe to grind against the bad guys.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Glazius posted:

Hmm. It actually is an interesting approach: a world that's a complicated place where people do good and bad regardless of their allegiances, contrasted by a rival with an axe to grind against the bad guys.

I still wonder why Hugh thinks in bluntness. Does he just have two brain cells rubbing together up in the saiyan looking hair of his? I mean really. He thinks ALL of Team Plasma is evil, even though there is a distinct difference in there personalities, and one dresses in spaceman suits, and the other looks like a badass pirate/ninja. Also, is there any way to prevent it from going up to the screenshots when I load in to see the new replies?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Silegna posted:

I still wonder why Hugh thinks in bluntness. Does he just have two brain cells rubbing together up in the saiyan looking hair of his? I mean really. He thinks ALL of Team Plasma is evil, even though there is a distinct difference in there personalities, and one dresses in spaceman suits, and the other looks like a badass pirate/ninja. Also, is there any way to prevent it from going up to the screenshots when I load in to see the new replies?

Knight outfits, Galactic was the spacemen suits.

And while I can understand being upset over having his sister's Pokemon stolen it's still like... dude has issues.

Also he IS voiced by Sean Schemmel for the preview trailer, so...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think it's even brought up to Hugh that, yes, Purrloin is really loving common and he could have just gotten another one. I think his reasons for wanting that specific one back are justified but god drat did they have to make it the most common pokemon in the world?

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
As if anyone in Plasma has the ambition (or competency) to steal anything that isn't a baby's beginner Pokemon.

It would probably take 10 grunts and an admin just to hijack someone's Ralts and that doesn't even learn to attack until it's almost evolved.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

I think it's even brought up to Hugh that, yes, Purrloin is really loving common and he could have just gotten another one. I think his reasons for wanting that specific one back are justified but god drat did they have to make it the most common pokemon in the world?

Maybe it's in the top percentage of Purrloin? :shrug:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maybe it's in the top percentage of Purrloin? :shrug:

Are you implying that Hugh is as good a Character as Youngster Joey? At least Joey GIVES you things. And yes, his Ratatta, in most hacks, and such, is actually really freaking powerful, though that's not canon. No, this Purrloin, is NOT in the top percentage, as far as I know.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Guys it's a purrloin exactly because it's not the pokemon itself that's important. Notice how Hugh talks about himself in the latest update? He wants to get that cat back not because it is so special, but because he feels he failed his sister and wants to make up for it. And he chose to do it in the most over-the-top anime fashion.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dragonwagon posted:

Guys it's a purrloin exactly because it's not the pokemon itself that's important. Notice how Hugh talks about himself in the latest update? He wants to get that cat back not because it is so special, but because he feels he failed his sister and wants to make up for it. And he chose to do it in the most over-the-top anime fashion.

In a startling mirror of Old Team Plasma, Hugh cares much more about himself than about the pokemon he is trying to rescue.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Shugojin posted:

In a startling mirror of Old Team Plasma, Hugh cares much more about himself than about the pokemon he is trying to rescue.

I never thought about comparing the two, but you're right. Hugh doesn't really care about the cat or what anybody else, including his sister herself, thinks about the incident. All he wants is some sort of redemption for what he sees as failure at being a big brother.

Old Plasma, at least the guys who actually believed in the cause, ignored everyone's feelings, including those of the pokemon they claimed to represent, for their own peace of mind, which made them perfect puppets.

That kind of nuance is something you really do not expect from this series. I hope that Z actually brings a little of that back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's funny that someone mentioned Batman because much like Bruce Wayne, Hugh witnessed a crime when he was young and he really just needs to move the gently caress on with his life. Or at least if he's gonna keep on his road of vengeance, he should fight crime when actual crimes are being committed and drive a cool car.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Silegna posted:

Are you implying that Hugh is as good a Character as Youngster Joey? At least Joey GIVES you things. And yes, his Ratatta, in most hacks, and such, is actually really freaking powerful, though that's not canon. No, this Purrloin, is NOT in the top percentage, as far as I know.

Actually, that is canon. In HG/SS, Joey's Ratatta has perfect IVs.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Cleretic posted:

What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cleretic posted:

This has been proven untrue already. IVs are given by Trainer class, and Youngster does not give perfect IVs (that'd be ridiculous).

• Locked thread