Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:cwag:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
great stuff byob

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:cawg:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

its too late now, it IS an emote, but garbage day uploaded it ages ago. actually it might have been kheldagraarara and not call now i cant even remember but :argh:

so how is the yosplus thing going?

what did it even do?

i was pretty wasted when i installed it and didn't see any improvement in my forums experience

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My friend Hay Man from Bad Game dot Net made this and has no idea how it got on SA or who bought it.

badgame FTW.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

syscall girl posted:

what did it even do?

i was pretty wasted when i installed it and didn't see any improvement in my forums experience

you have to click the icon, then u get checkboxes for what you want to do

it doesnt really change much but i like having the option to tweet my posts. ill never actually do that but its nice to know i always could

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

what did it even do?

im still working on it, it embeds webm videos now and there is an option to hide forum sections on the main forum page

the favourite section for the smilies could be useful i guess

ill keep doing stuff with it, starting with renaming it

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Yodzilla posted:

:wankah: wankah

:ubisoft: ubisoft

:sadwave: sadwave

:rznv: rznv

:bape: bape

:ccp: ccp

:byob1: byob1

:chillout: chillout

:dmca: dmca

:livintrope: livintrope

:lumpen: lumpen

:histdowns: histdowns

:pilot: pilot

:temporary: temporary

:toxogond: toxogond

:kheldragar: kheldragar

if you know what even half of these reference pls do the needful :regd13:

i don't think I know what any of these are about? i mean i know what dmca is but as far as any forums references.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

i don't think I know what any of these are about? i mean i know what dmca is but as far as any forums references.

congrats you dont read outside yospos

you passed the test

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
there's still a grey forums?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

there's still a grey forums?

so im led to believe

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I know what a pilot is.

seriously I love this guy :pilot:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

im still working on it, it embeds webm videos now and there is an option to hide forum sections on the main forum page

the favourite section for the smilies could be useful i guess

ill keep doing stuff with it, starting with renaming it

that's a good start seeing as g+ is also referred to as yosplus

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

do it CALL NOW, use some of your famous disposable income

im poor it was khelly who spent hundreds on avatars

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

quote:

if you know what even half of these reference pls do the needful :regd13:
im gonna help since im basically a smilie scholar
no idea sorry

quote:

:ubisoft: ubisoft
its a reference to ubisofts uplay cloud servers making GBS threads themselves and also getting turned off at the soonest convenient second

quote:

:sadwave: sadwave
its like :wave: except sad. like when you say goodbye

quote:

:rznv: rznv
rznv is a tindeck code of byob_reggae.mp3

quote:

:bape: bape
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NafdlAjS5Q

quote:

:ccp: ccp
ccp are the guys who created eve online and make bad decisions

quote:

:byob1: byob1

:chillout: chillout
i think those are self explanatory

quote:

:dmca: dmca
idk some dude in a fedora saying dmca which is a copyright act

quote:

:livintrope: livintrope
a nite crew superstar vanity smilie

quote:

:lumpen: lumpen
lumpen is a forums mafia player famous for creating lengthy lumpenlists that never amount to any coherent point, mlmp

quote:

:histdowns: histdowns
literally every field of culture needs a variation of :eng101: and if its a field where most people are retards they also need a downs variation

quote:

:pilot: pilot
its a pilot, jfc

quote:

:temporary: temporary
so basically there was a guy who wanted to buy a smilie but it was too big so he rang up ozma and she said sure i can upload it if you spend 30$ anyway. so he bought it. its a foil beta valve trading card smilie

quote:

:toxogond: toxogond
toxo crew is a catte thread for gbs

quote:

:kheldragar: kheldragar
an idiot retard bought it

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
:mawg:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

I know what a pilot is.

seriously I love this guy :pilot:

:pilot:

that fella is going places

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
glad 2 see people spending money on the forums

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i do not care for any of these new smilies and will make a point of not using them

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Max Facetime posted:

that fella is going places

:yosbutt:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ethereum is a platform that makes it possible for any developer to write and distribute next-generation decentralized applications. Borrowing the concept of distributed consensus and cryptographic proof that makes cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin so effective in trustless payments, Ethereum extends the use of these technologies to trustless agreements. This allows developers to easily build innovative new products on a censorship and collusion-resistant foundation.

The fundamental building block in Ethereum is a contract, a program that lives on the Ethereum network and follows a series of steps every time it receives a transaction. Contracts can store data, send and receive transactions and even interact with other contracts holding third party data. They are maintained by the network, without any central ownership or control. Contracts are written in a language instantly familiar to any programmer and powered by Ether, the base unit of Ethereum cryptocurrency (put differently, its cryptofuel).

Ethereum can therefore be thought of as a programmable distributed network. This has implications going far beyond the seemingly obvious applications such as financing agreements. The fact that Ethereum, is, by its very design, resistant to tampering and fraud, also permits a range of other solutions to everyday problems regarding identity and verification which are currently solved at great expense. Voting machines, healthcare software, registration of legal documents such as wills, transfer of title to goods and land, reputation systems, and even traffic navigations systems or social networks can be build on a network where users stay in control of their personal information — and funds — at all times.

It may even be that the Ethereum applications that will have the most impact on the world are yet to be discovered, just like it took about four years for social networks to be ‘invented’ on the web — and many more for them to diversify and invent novel applications such as microblogging.

Ethereum can be used to develop, decentralize, secure and trade just about anything, and is limited only by the creativity of developers. For example: company governance, startup crowdfunding, voting, domain name registration and intellectual property. Even smart property — transferring and securing real-world assets — could be implemented, provided that complementary hardware is developed and integrated.

Freedom of Entrepreneurship

If you’ve seen people excited about Ethereum’s potential, it’s probably because they realized it empowers them to build applications that will have a genuine, measurable societal impact — the ‘a-ha’ moment of Ethereum.

Ethereum makes funding, launching a business and listing its stocks a universal, straightforward process. Think Kickstarter on steroids where early adopters acquire ‘shares’ in a business rather than a pre-ordered product. Coupled with Ethereum’s potential to deliver on the promise of microfinance, it could also empower the 2.5 million unbanked with the tools required to elevate themselves in a truly free world economy.

Even where ample business infrastructure exists, such as it does in the developed world, Ethereum holds the potential to assist companies of all kinds reduce their operational costs and scale more rapidly. It also creates a two way conversation between consumers and corporations through total transparency. There is no room for collusion or corruption within decentralized organizations running on Ethereum as all assets relating to accounts and governance are stored in plain text on every network node.

Within this infinitely free market, bad actors are weeded off almost immediately, as establishing competing and fairer businesses becomes trivial to anyone willing to offer a similar service.

Business in most countries exists in two states : grey area (“System D”) and government sanctioned. Ethereum’s technology allows for a third state, enabling access to global resources for any businesses regardless of location, accelerating both democracy and free enterprise.

Here are a few verticals where Ethereum could engender disruptive innovation:

Decentralization of consumer contracts and consumer credit

All forms of existing business contracts are surprisingly simple. The vast majority of the complexity sits in the arbitration, compliance and fraud protection associated with said contracts. Ethereum itself forms the backbone for arbitration, regulation and fraud protection. The business contracts are the entities that you program into its network using a powerful, yet approachable programming language. Decentralized, user-friendly web interfaces will lower the barriers of entry even further, down a simple exercise involving the selection of a few boilerplate parameters at the click of a mouse.

Universal access to financial instruments

Any financial instruments or security can be modeled within Ethereum, including stocks, bonds, letters of credit, loans, mortgages, derivatives (futures, forwards, swaps, options) and CfDs (Contracts for Difference).

Consumers could use decentralised markets to trade instantaneously, internationally, and inexpensively; financial institutions themselves could use decentralised applications to remove the need for expensive transaction managers and gain access to capital from a broad user base in a secure and transparent way.

Disruption lies in the fact that their trading takes place on decentralized markets, with no censorship and virtually no fees, in a peer to peer fashion. Trustless exchanges and decentralized escrow would allow funds to remain under the user’s control and never be at risk from a corporate insolvency, fraud or theft, even if the exchange itself were to shut down or its operators were to disappear.

Socially beneficial distributed computing

Ethereum makes it possible for distributed computing platforms to reward their users with an additional incentive layer, which could be implemented as part of a contract. This special type of currency — or ‘meta coin’ — issued by research departments or charities, could be assigned to users after completing arbitrary actions such as folding protein for cancer research or participating in the SETI at home program.

‘Drop in’ economic application layer

Games or applications that embrace user-driven economies such as CCP’s Eve Online could leverage Ethereum-based economies across franchised games — a digital good acquired in a real time strategy game could for example be traded on decentralized exchange and be used as part of a first person shooter. Of course, these economies would benefit from having access to the same variety of financial instruments mentioned above.

Decentralized cloud services

Using cloud services today, while convenient, is also fraught with risk of hacking and companies going out of business, along with their users data. Ethereum enables some users to pay for nodes to encrypt and archive their data, while others could earn money by renting out the free space on their hard drive (using decentralized storage options such as MaidSafe or Bittorrent). Of course, all of this would be driven by market forces, with contracts autonomously relocating to more cost efficient nodes as required.

The dawn of Super Applications, DAOs and Intelligent Agents

Because contracts live as independent processing units on a decentralized network, making use of existing services instead of reimplementing basic functionality is common sense. A decentralized version of Ebay could for example interact with an escrow contract, a reputation service, a postal delivery tracking service and a distributed storage layer.

Applications assembled with ‘lego blocks’ of logic hint at the future formation of ‘Super Apps’, the components of which would be individually compelled to maintain maximum value and customer satisfaction or face being replaced.

Taking this concept further are ‘Decentralized Autonomous Organizations’ (DAOs). Consisting of one or more contracts, a DAO are funded by a group of like minded individuals, who subsequently would own ‘shares’ in the project. DAOs operate completely transparently without human management, and are no longer subject to voting or other control by their creators or any other stakeholder. A DAO will survive for as long as it can offer valuable services to its user base and earn revenue sufficient to cover its survival costs.

As such, there are too many examples to list in this brief overview. Ethereum’s potential for disruption encompasses many other verticals, including medical data, consumer loyalty and media distribution. By bringing the creation of trustless and decentralized applications within the reach of any developer, Ethereum is set to precipitate the next phase in innovation acceleration.

Ethereum represents the intersection of several disciplines: computer science, monetary theory, business development, and economics. It operates in these areas to effect positive change in social systems. It may represent the first viable system that guarantees free market capitalism and universally fair social systems, in short, the first Social Operating System.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

what is DMCA for :dmca: i want to know what this one was bought for

like, the thing about no more napstering and torrenting stuff is bad?

well itd be hipcortical to use thjat emote and nmot pay for it

50hz
Feb 18, 2011

Low Pass
lmao internet culture.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot

teledildonics posted:

sure can tell that byob is back

:rznv:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

50hz posted:

lmao internet culture.

your low pass filter only looks like a second order piece of poo poo
YLPFOLKASOPOS bithc

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

echinopsis posted:

Ethereum is a platform that makes it possible for any developer to write and distribute next-generation decentralized applications. Borrowing the concept of distributed consensus and cryptographic proof that makes cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin so effective in trustless payments, Ethereum extends the use of these technologies to trustless agreements. This allows developers to easily build innovative new products on a censorship and collusion-resistant foundation.

The fundamental building block in Ethereum is a contract, a program that lives on the Ethereum network and follows a series of steps every time it receives a transaction. Contracts can store data, send and receive transactions and even interact with other contracts holding third party data. They are maintained by the network, without any central ownership or control. Contracts are written in a language instantly familiar to any programmer and powered by Ether, the base unit of Ethereum cryptocurrency (put differently, its cryptofuel).

Ethereum can therefore be thought of as a programmable distributed network. This has implications going far beyond the seemingly obvious applications such as financing agreements. The fact that Ethereum, is, by its very design, resistant to tampering and fraud, also permits a range of other solutions to everyday problems regarding identity and verification which are currently solved at great expense. Voting machines, healthcare software, registration of legal documents such as wills, transfer of title to goods and land, reputation systems, and even traffic navigations systems or social networks can be build on a network where users stay in control of their personal information — and funds — at all times.

It may even be that the Ethereum applications that will have the most impact on the world are yet to be discovered, just like it took about four years for social networks to be ‘invented’ on the web — and many more for them to diversify and invent novel applications such as microblogging.

Ethereum can be used to develop, decentralize, secure and trade just about anything, and is limited only by the creativity of developers. For example: company governance, startup crowdfunding, voting, domain name registration and intellectual property. Even smart property — transferring and securing real-world assets — could be implemented, provided that complementary hardware is developed and integrated.

Freedom of Entrepreneurship

If you’ve seen people excited about Ethereum’s potential, it’s probably because they realized it empowers them to build applications that will have a genuine, measurable societal impact — the ‘a-ha’ moment of Ethereum.

Ethereum makes funding, launching a business and listing its stocks a universal, straightforward process. Think Kickstarter on steroids where early adopters acquire ‘shares’ in a business rather than a pre-ordered product. Coupled with Ethereum’s potential to deliver on the promise of microfinance, it could also empower the 2.5 million unbanked with the tools required to elevate themselves in a truly free world economy.

Even where ample business infrastructure exists, such as it does in the developed world, Ethereum holds the potential to assist companies of all kinds reduce their operational costs and scale more rapidly. It also creates a two way conversation between consumers and corporations through total transparency. There is no room for collusion or corruption within decentralized organizations running on Ethereum as all assets relating to accounts and governance are stored in plain text on every network node.

Within this infinitely free market, bad actors are weeded off almost immediately, as establishing competing and fairer businesses becomes trivial to anyone willing to offer a similar service.

Business in most countries exists in two states : grey area (“System D”) and government sanctioned. Ethereum’s technology allows for a third state, enabling access to global resources for any businesses regardless of location, accelerating both democracy and free enterprise.

Here are a few verticals where Ethereum could engender disruptive innovation:

Decentralization of consumer contracts and consumer credit

All forms of existing business contracts are surprisingly simple. The vast majority of the complexity sits in the arbitration, compliance and fraud protection associated with said contracts. Ethereum itself forms the backbone for arbitration, regulation and fraud protection. The business contracts are the entities that you program into its network using a powerful, yet approachable programming language. Decentralized, user-friendly web interfaces will lower the barriers of entry even further, down a simple exercise involving the selection of a few boilerplate parameters at the click of a mouse.

Universal access to financial instruments

Any financial instruments or security can be modeled within Ethereum, including stocks, bonds, letters of credit, loans, mortgages, derivatives (futures, forwards, swaps, options) and CfDs (Contracts for Difference).

Consumers could use decentralised markets to trade instantaneously, internationally, and inexpensively; financial institutions themselves could use decentralised applications to remove the need for expensive transaction managers and gain access to capital from a broad user base in a secure and transparent way.

Disruption lies in the fact that their trading takes place on decentralized markets, with no censorship and virtually no fees, in a peer to peer fashion. Trustless exchanges and decentralized escrow would allow funds to remain under the user’s control and never be at risk from a corporate insolvency, fraud or theft, even if the exchange itself were to shut down or its operators were to disappear.

Socially beneficial distributed computing

Ethereum makes it possible for distributed computing platforms to reward their users with an additional incentive layer, which could be implemented as part of a contract. This special type of currency — or ‘meta coin’ — issued by research departments or charities, could be assigned to users after completing arbitrary actions such as folding protein for cancer research or participating in the SETI at home program.

‘Drop in’ economic application layer

Games or applications that embrace user-driven economies such as CCP’s Eve Online could leverage Ethereum-based economies across franchised games — a digital good acquired in a real time strategy game could for example be traded on decentralized exchange and be used as part of a first person shooter. Of course, these economies would benefit from having access to the same variety of financial instruments mentioned above.

Decentralized cloud services

Using cloud services today, while convenient, is also fraught with risk of hacking and companies going out of business, along with their users data. Ethereum enables some users to pay for nodes to encrypt and archive their data, while others could earn money by renting out the free space on their hard drive (using decentralized storage options such as MaidSafe or Bittorrent). Of course, all of this would be driven by market forces, with contracts autonomously relocating to more cost efficient nodes as required.

The dawn of Super Applications, DAOs and Intelligent Agents

Because contracts live as independent processing units on a decentralized network, making use of existing services instead of reimplementing basic functionality is common sense. A decentralized version of Ebay could for example interact with an escrow contract, a reputation service, a postal delivery tracking service and a distributed storage layer.

Applications assembled with ‘lego blocks’ of logic hint at the future formation of ‘Super Apps’, the components of which would be individually compelled to maintain maximum value and customer satisfaction or face being replaced.

Taking this concept further are ‘Decentralized Autonomous Organizations’ (DAOs). Consisting of one or more contracts, a DAO are funded by a group of like minded individuals, who subsequently would own ‘shares’ in the project. DAOs operate completely transparently without human management, and are no longer subject to voting or other control by their creators or any other stakeholder. A DAO will survive for as long as it can offer valuable services to its user base and earn revenue sufficient to cover its survival costs.

As such, there are too many examples to list in this brief overview. Ethereum’s potential for disruption encompasses many other verticals, including medical data, consumer loyalty and media distribution. By bringing the creation of trustless and decentralized applications within the reach of any developer, Ethereum is set to precipitate the next phase in innovation acceleration.

Ethereum represents the intersection of several disciplines: computer science, monetary theory, business development, and economics. It operates in these areas to effect positive change in social systems. It may represent the first viable system that guarantees free market capitalism and universally fair social systems, in short, the first Social Operating System.

I just want to say Accelerando predicted this, and corporate personhood + autonomous python corporations in the cloud will lead to the downfall of humanity and the rise of a new race of lovely p-lang overlords

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My friend Hay Man from Bad Game dot Net made this and has no idea how it got on SA or who bought it.

garbage day added it for free since its epic.

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

:sadwave::dong:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

the mythical sasquatch

we've found him

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

who lets these people in public without telling them they're violating a half-dozen basic "don't look like a moron" fashion rules

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

garbage day added it for free since its epic.

Well, mystery solved. Ty Garbage Day.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:byob1: is also based on the steam emote :B1: which is the same but grey

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Silver Alicorn posted:

:byob1: is also based on the steam emote :B1: which is the same but grey

oh that's really lazy i thought it was an original creation (do not steal)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sweevo posted:

i do not care for any of these new smilies and will make a point of not using them

:cabot:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Well, mystery solved. Ty Garbage Day.

that avatar is amazing