Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Hummer posted:

I don't think FAR will change re-entry damage, but Deadly Re-Entry will, which I also threw on. I'm loving having to deal with heat shielding, each re-entry to Kerbin after a long mission is a nail biter now.

Thanks for the FAR info btw, I'll try pitching sooner and see how that goes. I wish there was better info about that kind of thing, the KSP forum threads on these topics are 400 pages long and usually deal with bugs from 2012 and so on.

edit: As a side note, RasterPropMonitor and a few other associated mods have made this game way more immersive. Launching from first person, trying to stay IVA as much as possible, plus the first person Kerbal mod have made this a whole new game for me.

FAR wont really change re-entry dynamics much but it can lead to pieces shearing off. In stock KSP drag is applied to all the parts equally as I recall, not so in FAR. Even so it depends on the design a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

3 posted:

Haveblue covered how they work in game, but real-life L4 and L5 are inherently stable (given a certain m1/m2 mass ratio) and in fact have cool gravitational properties that actually draw in objects for stationkeeping; there's a reason those two are generally suggested as good places to build orbital habitats.

I've have to look that up, sounds interesting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can confirm that pulling asteroids is the way to go. There is one caveat: the engines must be mounted sufficiently far from the surface of the asteroid. Otherwise the asteroid blocks the exhaust and nothing happens.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Platystemon posted:

I can confirm that pulling asteroids is the way to go. There is one caveat: the engines must be mounted sufficiently far from the surface of the asteroid. Otherwise the asteroid blocks the exhaust and nothing happens.

Can you just unlock the gimbal to get it pulling directly against the COM?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spookydonut posted:

Can you just unlock the gimbal to get it pulling directly against the COM?

Yep. You have to let the throttle on slowly, but once it gets going it’s stable.

I set up action groups to switch the left/right/fore/aft banks of engines on for rotation, but they turned out to be unnecessary. The unlocked claw and reaction wheels were enough.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Platystemon posted:

Yep. You have to let the throttle on slowly, but once it gets going it’s stable.

I set up action groups to switch the left/right/fore/aft banks of engines on for rotation, but they turned out to be unnecessary. The unlocked claw and reaction wheels were enough.

If somebody gets KAS working with 0.23.5, couldn't you just tow it with cables?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dred_furst posted:

Judging from the last time I tried towing something with cables, that would be hilarious. :jeb:

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Dred_furst posted:

I'm pretty sure KAS has already been updated for 23.5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2arWYu1_9CY

see also:

The Green Calx posted:

After further testing, top Kerbals have decided that this needs further testing.

Troglyfe fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 12, 2014

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
To keep an object on the dark side of a planet permanently, it would need the same orbital period around the planet as the planet has around the sun. This would mean it would need to be far outside Jool's SoI, but with a low-mass inner planet it could be feasible. Asteroid in orbit around Moho?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

whiteshark12 posted:

To keep an object on the dark side of a planet permanently, it would need the same orbital period around the planet as the planet has around the sun.

The same orbital period and the same eccentricity so that the velocity distribution of the moon resembles that of the planet and it constantly stays there. That and few other things.

Edit: i spel gud

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 12, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

whiteshark12 posted:

To keep an object on the dark side of a planet permanently, it would need the same orbital period around the planet as the planet has around the sun. This would mean it would need to be far outside Jool's SoI, but with a low-mass inner planet it could be feasible. Asteroid in orbit around Moho?

An orbit like that around Moho would be far outside its sphere of influence. This is probably true for all the planets.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What time of day? Some of us Toronto area goons are going out for karaoke tomorrow evening. (9-10 EDT I think)

Land in Toronto at 6:30 PM, flight leaves for Ottawa at 10:30 PM. This is what last minute planning does to you.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Dred_furst posted:

I wish people would spell out and/or link mods when they gush about them, it'd be handy as all heck.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

LeJackal posted:

I wish people would spell out and/or link mods when they gush about them, it'd be handy as all heck.
If you put "KAS Kerbal" into google the first link is where you want to go.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=KAS

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Who needs KAS to play with the asteroids when you can just make a catapult... :jebstare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeRTZ3chqNw&hd=1

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

whiteshark12 posted:

Instead of having it constantly occluded by the planet, you could perhaps add a planet which is tidally locked to the sun, and composed entirely of liquid on the sunward side while the night side is frozen and solid.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Are the asteroids themselves indestructible?

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I had the genius idea to try my had at making a Space Station a few days ago. Which was no problem got it in space and a good orbit.
Well, I tried to put a 2nd part on it yesterday and dock it. Boy, was that a trial of my patience. I got the orbits to match and got them both right on top of each other, that wasn't the hard part, getting them to dock just never happened. I was looking at guide and tutorials but I still don't get it.
From what I gathered you need to get the Pink "Target" reticle to line up with your main one that you move around the navball. Is this impossible if you put docking ports on the side of your ship? It seems a lot of the videos and tutorials I see they all put the docking port on the nose of the ship, opposite of their thrusters. Can I not put it on the side and just use RCS to dock sideways?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Green Tea Erotica posted:

I had the genius idea to try my had at making a Space Station a few days ago. Which was no problem got it in space and a good orbit.
Well, I tried to put a 2nd part on it yesterday and dock it. Boy, was that a trial of my patience. I got the orbits to match and got them both right on top of each other, that wasn't the hard part, getting them to dock just never happened. I was looking at guide and tutorials but I still don't get it.
From what I gathered you need to get the Pink "Target" reticle to line up with your main one that you move around the navball. Is this impossible if you put docking ports on the side of your ship? It seems a lot of the videos and tutorials I see they all put the docking port on the nose of the ship, opposite of their thrusters. Can I not put it on the side and just use RCS to dock sideways?

Sure you can. Tip: right-click the docking port and "control from here"

I highly recommend Navyfish's docking port indicator. It gives you a lot more relative movement information than the navball. When you dock, you'll want to come in no faster than 1m/s for the final approach (slower if you can bear it) and as long as you're close the two ports will "magnetically" pull together and seal.

Also, after selecting 'control from this location' on the port, do a few test puffs of RCS (HN, IJKL) to know how the part will handle. Unless you're in chase camera mode up/down/left/right can be a bit different from your perspective.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 12, 2014

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Right click the docking port -> control from here

Right click the docking port on the target ship -> set as target

You can also 'cheat' to make it easy for yourself and point the docking port on both ships at each other.
Once that's done you make sure your prograde marker is sitting right on top of the target marker, if it's not you'll have problems.
Use the docking mode button in the bottom left, space swaps between rotation and lateral movement.

Edit: Pretty sure I found a bug or the KSO solar panels are stupidly strong when deployed. Running with DRE and FAR.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 12, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

• The stock pink indicator is buggy and will mislead you when you get close if the port is not installed on the nose like the ones you've seen. When you get very close, you have to align the ports by eye (or install that mod).

• Switch the camera to Chase mode (press V a few times). This will make it much, much easier to figure out which way the ship will move when you press the keys.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Dareon posted:

Judging from the last time I tried towing something with cables, that would be hilarious. :jeb:

Yeah, towing stuff with no damping to stop oscillations (i.e. anywhere except inside a decently thick atmosphere) is just a screaming, ever-rotating disaster. As I found when I tried to make an elaborate skyhook system to place munbase modules. Works fine for dropping rovers on Duna, though.

Re: docking, another "wouldn't it be nice" tweak: If when you set the target to a docking port, the target object diamond would switch to the actual port position instead of remaining at the centriod of the target vessel. Would be handy for docking at stations with many ports.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dareon posted:

Is it because buggy physics no one would expect or slowing down without realizing your cargo will continue to remain at the same speed behind you?

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

Anybody else getting a lot of bugs this release? I've had to scrap the last 3 missions in a row due to bugs:

First I got some bug where the ship appeared to get stuck on it's path on ascent, no matter how much I burned I couldn't change my speed.
Second my mun rover's hull hit the ground while driving and exploded, but all of the parts stayed stuck stationary as if it still existed. Somehow this also caused Bill to get stuck to the chair, I could get out of it but not move away at all even with RCS.
Finally on an asteroid intercept I got a constant 0.3 electrical discharge with no electrical components at all on the ship (bar the turned off SAS), and phantom forces that made the rocket spin out with every burn even though it was symmetrical. This was a 20 day mission and very drat annoying.

I haven't installed any gameplay mods except KAS, I have no clue why these are happening now.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

I've had quite a few bugs this release as well, including the phantom force making my ship rotate for seemingly no reason when I applied thrust.

I also encountered a bug where after tracking an asteroid in the tracking center, I got "stuck" on it, meaning I could not select anything else, nor could I exit the tracking center. Had to alt-tab and manually close the game process to get out of it.

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 12, 2014

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Green Calx posted:

I've had quite a few bugs this release as well, including the phantom force making my ship rotate for seemingly no reason when I applied thrust.

I also encountered a bug where after tracking an asteroid in the tracking center, I got "stuck" on it, meaning I could not select anything else, nor could I exit the tracking center. Had to alt-tab and manually close the game process to get out of it.

Check fuel lines for the rotation bug, usually it means one tank is draining at a different rate.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Check fuel lines for the rotation bug, usually it means one tank is draining at a different rate.

I know at least in my case this isn't true since I only had one engine and all fuel tanks stacked vertically.

whiteshark12 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 12, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

It wasn't fuel lines. Interestingly enough, it would only happen at above 50% thrust or so. Below that, my ship would fly perfectly straight.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

If you have anything attached to radial decouplers make sure they are attached to the "center" of the decoupler.

I have had phantom roll forces from SRBs that have been offset 15-30 degrees from being flat on the decoupler before.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

Zaran posted:

If you have anything attached to radial decouplers make sure they are attached to the "center" of the decoupler.

I have had phantom roll forces from SRBs that have been offset 15-30 degrees from being flat on the decoupler before.

The entire ship was a klaw, a command pod, a single fuel tank, and an engine. There's really no way it was an engineering problem.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Oh, are we posting about the bugs we've encountered in this version?

The new giant parts have defective decouplers. If I kill thrust and decouple a stage before it runs dry (so it'll fall back to Kerbin instead of promoting Kessler syndrome), the stage physically detaches from the ship and the decoupler disappears.
It's still connected, though. If I throttle the ship back up, the detached stage throttles up as well and bumps into my rocket before running out of fuel and then being thrown away by the exhaust of my new stage. The camera also still considers it part of the rocket and tries to desperately focus on the CoM which keeps moving as the stage falls away.
If I hit stage again it may just actually decouple the stage or it may activate the next decoupler.

Sometimes a combination of being attached to an asteroid and quickloading makes it so that if I time accelerate after the quickload, my rocket explodes and all the parts fly off at the time accelerated speed. Except for the probe core, which keeps going at 1x speed and hogs the camera focus. Its orbit usually is a crash course to Kerbin and the only way to fix quickloads is to restart the game.

Randomly getting a persistent 0.3 energy discharge on crafts with no energy need.

Using action groups to kill an engine group and switch to another leaves the first engine group's emission animation stuck on until I switch back to it, give it some thrust and kill it with X.

All that said, though, I'm still enjoying myself and have just successfully tested my new Asteroid Relocator which has pusher/puller capabilities and is wide enough to pull an E class Potatoroid.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

The Green Calx posted:

Did you try pressing backspace to reset the camera on Kerbin? That fixed it for me.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

Geemer posted:

Sometimes a combination of being attached to an asteroid and quickloading makes it so that if I time accelerate after the quickload, my rocket explodes and all the parts fly off at the time accelerated speed. Except for the probe core, which keeps going at 1x speed and hogs the camera focus. Its orbit usually is a crash course to Kerbin and the only way to fix quickloads is to restart the game.

I'd forgotten I had that one as well, that asteroid's still sitting in my science records as a discovered but uncompleted sample since I couldn't do anything but terminate the flight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Geemer posted:

The new giant parts have defective decouplers.

The giant decouplers crash KSP for me.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Here's a few pics of the ship in question. It's using shuttle engines on 4 sides. They are each tilted outwards, so it should be perfectly symmetrical and shouldn't be causing weird rotational forces like what I was experiencing. It actually was carrying a rover underneath, which I thought might be causing it due to one of my engine exhausts hitting it, but even after dropping the rover, it flew exactly the same.

Here we are still connected to the transfer module.

Landed on the surface of the Mun.

Bill is off on an adventure!

Hitting a sweet jump

OH SHI

Uh, Kouston, I think we have a problem.

(yes, he was stuck and I had to go rescue him)

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 12, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Green Calx posted:

Here's a few pics of the ship in question. It's using shuttle engines on 4 sides. They are each tilted outwards, so it should be perfectly symmetrical and shouldn't be causing weird rotational forces like what I was experiencing. It actually was carrying a rover underneath, which I thought might be causing it due to one of my engine exhausts hitting it, but even after dropping the rover, it flew exactly the same.

Try struts. Sometimes when I don’t strut engines they get into a feedback loop where a little bit of spin torques them out of alignment, whereupon they create more spin.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

You can find this mod useful:

http://kerbalspaceport.com/lazor-docking-cam/

It basically adds a small, B&W window with some clues about your alignement and the approach numbers:

Also, if you feel comfortable using MechJeb, just pop up the SASS window, select "TGT" and "PAR-" to automagically align your docking port to the target.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Geemer posted:

Oh, are we posting about the bugs we've encountered in this version?

I've seen a couple of weird things with the map view. Sometimes I become unable to select other craft for targeting or focus changing. Or I can't place any maneuver nodes on the segment of my orbit that precedes and intercept. Once it even let me put nodes on the orbit of my target rather than myself.

The feature that moves nodes forward by several orbits seems to have a tendency to snap back to the first upcoming orbit when I try to slide the node around, which makes it a lot less useful when you're seeking an intercept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014
I built a crane.

There's a SAS module in the claw portion to keep it from wiggling around.

Kerbal Towers of Hanoi Program

I had to knock it around with the claw to get it to dock properly.

Time to add the roof. The docking ports' magnetism is enough to pop it right on.

I add another segment, but now it's too tall to put the cap on so I put Bill up there instead.

But then I showed gravity who's boss by holding the claw sideways.

Relevant mods:
Kerbal Attachment System
Extraplanetary Launchpads + Baha EPL parts
Universal Docking Ports
B9 (+ fix) for the panels.

• Locked thread