Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Be careful, just as they wanted it is amazingly convenient....I think we ran out of our snacks on the 3rd day and still got coffee and pastries for breakfast and a treat during the day just cuz it was easy to not think about it...also I'm big on splerging
on my one real vacation a year, so I tend not to be too stingy as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

demonR6 posted:

I guess they need FP+ to eat now too.

You kid but I wouldn't be surprised if that were to be the case someday. Disney keeps as close an eye on some of the major quick service food lines as they do of the major attractions.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You can get a FastPass+ for Be Our Guest for lunch right now.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Worked my way through this whole thread and goddamn do I want to go back to WDW. My family would go there every year just before Christmas, starting when I was four and ending when I was fourteen. I was somewhat bewildered by my first visit, but I easily got into the swing of things on my next visit. We started out favoring the Grand Floridian (I remember when they brought a baby lion with a handler into the GF lobby to promote The Lion King and allowed guests to pet it), then Wilderness Lodge, and finally Animal Kingdom Lodge. My parents and I are late risers, but we always made sure to show up at Animal Kingdom just before it opened to go on the Safari Ride. My parents loved the idea of going on an African safari without having to leave the US. I also remember that we did character breakfasts almost every morning when I was young enough to appreciate them, and how Goofy would always flirt with my mother - when she rejected him, he'd cover his eyes as if he were crying.

I have mentioned my desire to go back to Disney World to my boyfriend, but he is skeptical. He can't imagine how the parks would be enjoyable to an average childless adult. He dislikes crowds and long lines, and while he does enjoy watching the animated movies with me, his tastes are generally cynical. What can Disney offer to someone like him?

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I have mentioned my desire to go back to Disney World to my boyfriend, but he is skeptical. He can't imagine how the parks would be enjoyable to an average childless adult. He dislikes crowds and long lines, and while he does enjoy watching the animated movies with me, his tastes are generally cynical. What can Disney offer to someone like him?

Sounds like he might be the kind of person who enjoys EPCOT assuming you go at a less crowded time and he's not too cynical to enjoy the utopian future vibes. The EPCOT shows entertain me more than most of the MK rides these days. Animal Kingdom also has some good shows, and of course there's always Cirque du Soleil if either of you are into that sort of thing. Plus a bunch more in the immediate area.

Does he like dining? They have food there that will send foodies into catatonic bliss. Even their mid-end stuff is pretty dang good and the upper end is fantastic.

I'd say the most important aspect of WDW for adults is the atmosphere, however. Some people don't even hit up the parks, believe it or not. They grab a cabin or a catered couple of suites at the Grand Floridian and have a family gathering. It's all about getting there, being taken care of, and temporarily not having to worry about the usual poo poo. The rides are just diversions.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

For my reluctant adults, I always suggest Food and Wine at Epcot. It's more adult oriented. And then while you're there, you can get him to go to the other parks, basically on the premise of making the most of your money. He'll have a good time and he'll be drinking the Disney Kool-Aid before you know it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I hate crowds and lines just as much as he does, and my wife and I really don't have to deal with either, since we travel in mid- to late-fall, or January-February. The low crowd densities make it really easy for the two of us (we're 43, no kids) to enjoy all the parks at a leisurely pace. Even someone who hates roller coasters or kiddie rides finds a lot of stuff to like.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Headed back to WDW for work, the last week of April / first couple days of May. Anything going on that week I should check out?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

For my reluctant adults, I always suggest Food and Wine at Epcot. It's more adult oriented. And then while you're there, you can get him to go to the other parks, basically on the premise of making the most of your money. He'll have a good time and he'll be drinking the Disney Kool-Aid before you know it.

Man I love Food and Wine. Literally the best time to be at Disney World.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I, uh, have a pretty good discount for October during F&W. Just sayin.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are there any really cool easter things to do? Ill be at the world next Wednesday for a week.

Also is Cars land or whatever at Downtown disney cool? I won't be doing the parks that day but I want my nephew to have fun.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

There's no Cars land at Downtown Disney but they do have Disney Quest which is a giant arcade. That's a lot of fun.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Braksgirl posted:

I, uh, have a pretty good discount for October during F&W. Just sayin.

:D Does it hit my dates? :pray:

Oh so a goon now works at Victoria and Alberts and said I should get a reservation and sit at the chefs table so he can serve. Anyone know anything about this? Like how much does it run and if i book 6 months out is there a high chance of me getting the table?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Tigntink posted:

Oh so a goon now works at Victoria and Alberts

Is that right?

Gonna walk into the kitchen tomorrow and ask all of the cooks if they have stairs in their house.

quote:

and said I should get a reservation and sit at the chefs table so he can serve. Anyone know anything about this? Like how much does it run and if i book 6 months out is there a high chance of me getting the table?

I can't speak for the chef's table, I think it's varied based on what the selections available. There's a pretty good review here but it doesn't mention how much the chef's table costs specifically. When I went with my wife, it was something like $400ish and that was in the main dining room.

If you're into that sort of thing, though, it's worth it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Roar posted:

Is that right?

Gonna walk into the kitchen tomorrow and ask all of the cooks if they have stairs in their house.

I can't speak for the chef's table, I think it's varied based on what the selections available. There's a pretty good review here but it doesn't mention how much the chef's table costs specifically. When I went with my wife, it was something like $400ish and that was in the main dining room.

If you're into that sort of thing, though, it's worth it.

Totally into that sort of thing. I did the omakase at Nobu once and just getting what ever the chefs want to make is the best.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
y'all hear about the new drinking thing they are doing at Epcot. For a separate ticket price, you can stay in the park until 11pm, and drink at like five of the World Showcase restauraunts, starting immediately after the fireworks.

If it's not to expensive, that could be a great way to beat the bumrush to cars/buses/monorail.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
Looks like I'll be taking my wife to Epcot/Disney for the first time tomorrow. She wants to go to the Magic Kingdom but all the attendance charts say it's going to be packed but Epcot is neutral, which I guess means it will be okish?

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Cuatal posted:

Looks like I'll be taking my wife to Epcot/Disney for the first time tomorrow. She wants to go to the Magic Kingdom but all the attendance charts say it's going to be packed but Epcot is neutral, which I guess means it will be okish?

Seriously if you've never been to disney packed magic kingdom is still going to be better than empty epcot. Epcot is fun for adults that have been there before, the drinking and cool world showcase things, but all the "disney magic" is at MK...

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
So... I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake booking for Le Cellier for my trip in about a month. I have a reservation at 8:25, but Epcot closes about forty-five minutes later.

I don't exactly want to rush through my meal, so I'd like to know in advance if my reservation will allow me to stay in the park for longer. If not, I think I'm going to cancel and save this for another trip. Maybe rebook somewhere else in Epcot.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Every time we've gone to dinner close to park closing, they've always been awesome about not rushing us. The parks are actually "open" for a surprising amount of time afterwards for stragglers. The only exceptions to this I can think of are special events and particularly late open hours, in which they typically try to get everyone out within 30 minutes or so.

For a normal night in Epcot, an extra hour is nothing.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I've done dinner 3 times with 8:30 reservations at Epcot and have never been rushed or told we had to leave by a certain time. I've left at 945 and still been able to catch a monorail or bus.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Don't give up La Cellier. It's widely regarded as one of the better restaurants at EPCOT and one of the best steakhouses on property.

Besides, they have the worlds best cheese soup.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Noted. Thanks, guys! I'm actually sharing this trip with one person who hasn't ever been on property and another who hasn't been back in about a decade, so I don't want to hurry them though anything, if I'm able to. I'm glad to hear that we'll have plenty of time.

Circutron fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 13, 2014

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Roar posted:

Don't give up La Cellier. It's widely regarded as one of the better restaurants at EPCOT and one of the best steakhouses on property.

If you're going to be in EPCOT, it's maybe the third best steakhouse in the resort area now though. Since it got bumped up to signature, it's really not worth the price bump. Shula's at the Swan is better if you're paying cash. The Yachtsman at the Beach Club is better if you're paying with DDP. Best steak I've ever had at Disney other than Shula's though is easily at the Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. Sensational. Le Cellier is good, but I don't think the food improved enough to justify it over one of those others now.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My wife and I will probably be booking a 6-night stay for late November-early December. Any travel agents out there have a scoop on what deals will be offered then? We've gotten the 30%-off room rate special the last 2 or 3 times we've gone. How far ahead of time are those types of deals made available? I know I can apply it retroactively if it's announced after I book, but I don't want to miss an arrival window by a day or something like that.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
After new years is a quiet time to go, no? I know its a ways off but want to start saving now

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tigntink posted:

:D Does it hit my dates? :pray:

No, sorry! It's for October 7-17.

Lincoln posted:

My wife and I will probably be booking a 6-night stay for late November-early December. Any travel agents out there have a scoop on what deals will be offered then? We've gotten the 30%-off room rate special the last 2 or 3 times we've gone. How far ahead of time are those types of deals made available? I know I can apply it retroactively if it's announced after I book, but I don't want to miss an arrival window by a day or something like that.

As for Disney discounts later in the year, we don't know for certain anything's going to be released until it is. More than likely, it'll be a room discount if anything. Usually, a discount for that time is released late Summer. If you book with a travel agent, they will keep an eye out for discounts for you and let you know if it will apply and if it does, they'll snap it up for you automatically. I'd be happy to help, if you like.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 14, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

BlueBayou posted:

After new years is a quiet time to go, no? I know its a ways off but want to start saving now

Not directly afterwards, people hang around for a week or so. I would wait until mid-January or early February.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

I'm going in January and after looking into it decided to go the week after MLK day. That avoids all the major events and holidays of the month and is one of the quietest times of the year. Only downside is Disney does their major refurbs in the off season so it's likely something you would want to ride will be closed. It's the price you pay for not having to deal with the crowds.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

Yoda posted:

Seriously if you've never been to disney packed magic kingdom is still going to be better than empty epcot. Epcot is fun for adults that have been there before, the drinking and cool world showcase things, but all the "disney magic" is at MK...

We live like an hour away so she said she'd rather go to the Magic Kingdom on another day. She had a good time at Epcot though neither of us can figure out what the deal with Soarin' is. It was cool but why is it so popular? The food was good, at Downtown Disney we ate at Ragool Road, then in Epcot we had lunch at Biergarten and dinner at Spice Road Table, which was by far the best food out of the three.

The Finding Nemo ride sucked so hard but the rest were pretty cool. My favorite part of the whole trip was watching the people on rides like Journey Into Imagination that couldn't speak English try to figure out what the hell was happening. Seeing the Italians in Italy shaking their hands at each other while they talked was a close second.

What website is the most reliable for crowd reports? The one we went by was Undercover Tourist and it seems like it was accurate, the crowd wasn't bad excluding stuff like Soarin' and Test Track.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cuatal posted:

We live like an hour away so she said she'd rather go to the Magic Kingdom on another day. She had a good time at Epcot though neither of us can figure out what the deal with Soarin' is. It was cool but why is it so popular? The food was good, at Downtown Disney we ate at Ragool Road, then in Epcot we had lunch at Biergarten and dinner at Spice Road Table, which was by far the best food out of the three.

The Finding Nemo ride sucked so hard but the rest were pretty cool. My favorite part of the whole trip was watching the people on rides like Journey Into Imagination that couldn't speak English try to figure out what the hell was happening. Seeing the Italians in Italy shaking their hands at each other while they talked was a close second.

What website is the most reliable for crowd reports? The one we went by was Undercover Tourist and it seems like it was accurate, the crowd wasn't bad excluding stuff like Soarin' and Test Track.

Soarin is popular because Epcot for all it's wonderful things lacks good rides, so the two rides that people see as worth a drat have insane lines, even if it's not super busy.

I also happen to love Soarin, but yeah, that's why the lines are nuts.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Malt posted:

I'm going in January and after looking into it decided to go the week after MLK day. That avoids all the major events and holidays of the month and is one of the quietest times of the year. Only downside is Disney does their major refurbs in the off season so it's likely something you would want to ride will be closed. It's the price you pay for not having to deal with the crowds.

When do they usually shut down rides? Im willing to deal with some crowds as long as the rides are open.

I was there about a year ago and Splash was down. I was so disappointed because Splash is just the best. I'd rather wait in line than not ride at all

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Cuatal posted:

EasyWDW is what I'd recommend. Touring Plans has gotten pretty bad in recent years. I've never used Undercover Tourist though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

mearn posted:

EasyWDW is what I'd recommend. Touring Plans has gotten pretty bad in recent years. I've never used Undercover Tourist though.

Touring Plan also costs money just to get tips and poo poo. EasyWDW is free (and on my last trip, his predictions about what would be busier were accurate except for once.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Roar posted:

This.

I ate there for the first time in January, and it was incredible. Probably the best food on Disney property. Which I say as someone who has never been to Victoria and Albert's.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Roar posted:

This again.

I love a good steak and the steak was great. As well as that, the cheese soup starter and mushroom risotto with the steak were brilliant also.

I've recently got back to the UK from my first trip to Disney in nearly 20 years. I'll post a trip report, pictures and more of my thoughts if anyone is interested.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Some of my friends and I have started up a Disney themed blog and podcast. If anyone's interested in checking it out you can find us at DoleWhipped.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So Memory Maker...thoughts? Both for and against are welcome.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Paul Allen posted:

So Memory Maker...thoughts? Both for and against are welcome.

Well it's cheaper than the standard photo pass, it includes all ride photos and lets you download every picture taken on property by a Disney photographer. The ride photos alone make it worth it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah and I don't know what it costs to buy an 8x10 in the park, but it's like a buck fifty to have one printed at your local photomat. So, I don't know how many pictures you'd have to buy to make it worth your money. It's $149, IIRC. The digital pictures you get are hi-res, right?