Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Urdnot Fire posted:

And despite his death, Clancy still manages to put out more books than GRRM.

I didn't know Tom Clancy had died. :(

His (ghost written poo poo) recent works were terrible, and his politics were abhorrent, but I loved a lot of his books. Now I'm bummed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

I didn't know Tom Clancy had died. :(

His (ghost written poo poo) recent works were terrible, and his politics were abhorrent, but I loved a lot of his books. Now I'm bummed.

Yeah, I really liked Red October.

His sex scenes might rival GRRM in their specificity though. I remember one where Jack Ryan was nuzzling his face against his wife's underboob. He was really insistent about Jack's wife having very petite breasts too. And Jack's wife and mother are both named Catherine so there's a lot of Freudian poo poo going on.

The machine is still on Moira.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Urdnot Fire posted:

And despite his death, Clancy still manages to put out more books than GRRM.

:drat:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

syscall girl posted:

I'm actually re-reading this right now, and man, Clancy can come up with compelling scenarios filled with interesting technical stuff, but that fucker simply could not write dialog or characters for all the wealth in the world. There's four or five jokes already about Jack Ryan having to buy his daughter a Skiing Barbie, and the Soviets only just found out Ramius is loving off with Red October :psyduck:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Joramun posted:

OTOH:
Victarion Greyjoy. Margaery and Cersei's clash of the titans. Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal misbehaving. Revenant Catelyn. Victarion Greyjoy. Ygritte dying. Arya's training to become a Faceless Man. Bran becoming an omniscient (through both time and space) demigod with all sorts of interesting metaphysical implications. Victarion Greyjoy. Littlefinger grooming Sansa into his cutthroat heir apparent. Littlefinger pushing Lysa out of the highest tower in the entire universe. The horrifying Dragon Horn. Theon and Jeyne's bloodstopping escape from Winterfell. Stannis being The Mannis. Davos being Davos. Frey pies. Jon Snow getting stabbed to death for being an idiot. Jon Connington, marvelous gay action hero. Did I mention Victarion Greyjoy?

Lots of cool stuff still coming, despite all the muck.

You forgot Euron, who's a pretty great villain himself. The "Winterfell Huis Clos", with everyone stuck in Winterfell getting more and more paranoid and killing each other, is also a pretty great moment.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

You forgot Euron, who's a pretty great villain himself. The "Winterfell Huis Clos", with everyone stuck in Winterfell getting more and more paranoid and killing each other, is also a pretty great moment.

Winterfell is basically Harrenhall squared at that point. Being surrounded by giant fuckoff mountains of snow and trapped with a bunch of ruthless murderers is good stuff.

Shame that the show will focus on Reek's double rape. And that show watchers will find this touching and erotic.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

New TVIV thread is up!

The OP posted:

Meereen aka Jesus just hurry up and get your dragons to Westeros goddamnit

:allears:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

syscall girl posted:

The American Tolkien.

Whenever they call him that, this is the book I think of

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm actually re-reading this right now, and man.. :psyduck:

God, I was really into military spy sats and poo poo when I read that, and would totally sperg about keyhole satellites and "Transparent Oceans". I just did a quick honorary re-read of Red Storm Rising ( RIP TC + Russia invading Ukraine ), and forgot there were parts in that book where my eyes misted up. Something about that scene where the Soviets finally get their breakthrough over the Rhine, and two NATO fighter jets race through a ravine to blow the last bridge. That jet dropped a Thermobaric bomb, I thought, and my eyes watered with sheer joy. Well, something got wet, pretty sure it was my face.

syscall girl posted:

His sex scenes might rival GRRM in their specificity though. I remember one where Jack Ryan was nuzzling his face against his wife's underboob.

I didn't realize there WERE any sex scenes! Well except for the obvious one that the Red October is an allegory of Tom Clancy's fight to regain control of his own Penis, which was controlled throughout the 80s by a team of Russian Parapsychologists.

EDIT: I Just realized this!!!!

You know what Tom Clancy and GRRM have in common? Their Break through works, were both based on board games. RedStorm Rising was based on CONVOY, and of course Wildcards was based on .. uh.. I know it was a RPG.

This post is lacking in photos, so here is one of Tom Clancy commissioning a new Submarine.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 12, 2014

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I thought that was Maisie Williams at first.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

syscall girl posted:

Winterfell is basically Harrenhall squared at that point. Being surrounded by giant fuckoff mountains of snow and trapped with a bunch of ruthless murderers is good stuff.

Shame that the show will focus on Reek's double rape. And that show watchers will find this touching and erotic.

Well, I wouldn't mind getting his Lord's Kiss tbh. I mean...

Ay papi. :kimchi:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joramun posted:

Well, I wouldn't mind getting his Lord's Kiss tbh. I mean...

Ay papi. :kimchi:

He's a mouth breather, not sure he could get the job done.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I don't much care for Toronto, but I really wish Kit would stay the gently caress out of it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

That's Toronto? I didn't know the Sun even shone that far up north.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Toronto is further south than North Dakota, Montana, Washington, Vermont, and Maine, you gently caress :mad:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Toronto is further south than North Dakota, Montana, Washington, Vermont, and Maine, you gently caress :mad:

Sun shines in none of those places

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mayhaps the Sun just follows Kit around wherever he goes, so he can be topless all the time.

Thanks, Sun!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Actually, if you look at the thumbnail, you can see really clearly his tanlines. Dude isn't topless very often, as it turns out :v:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Oh you and your forensics. But you're right, now that you mention it you can clearly see the wifebeater.

By the way, tomorrow's episode is called The Lion and the Rose. I wonder if it refers to Tywin and Olenna, or to Cersei and Margaery. Mayhaps both?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Joffrey and Margaery I assume since its their wedding.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Joffrey is a stag, not a lion. At least as far as Westeros knows.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joramun posted:

Joffrey is a stag, not a lion. At least as far as Westeros knows.

However it's the name of the episode and the audience certainly knows that.

Then again they think Danny's name is khaaleesi so.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And the only good thing to say about any of those is weed is legal in Washington State (you should specify that you meant the vastly inferior Washington). Or is it? I loving forget, who would want to live on the wrong coast anyway?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

He's basically Baron Harkonnen

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Shoehead posted:

He's basically Baron Harkonnen

All that's missing is the anti-grav suit and an attendant to express the poop out of his weiner.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AtAt-de-fay posted:

express the poop out of his weiner.

nice analogy for writing books

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

syscall girl posted:

*golfclaps*

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

AtAt-de-fay posted:

All that's missing is the anti-grav suit and an attendant to express the poop out of his weiner.

What do you think Ty does when he isn't manning the pizza conveyor belt?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Which Baron we talking? Cool-rear end Ian McNiece, with his flowing red robes, or the David Lynch one with the heart-plugs and boils?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tonight's episode is the one where Joffrey should die, I believe.
I'm sure we're going to get some nice "Kally C will win Westros with Dragon now Jeffie is dead" kind of posts to laugh at soon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't wait for this season to be over because we are going to have at least one solid season of wheel spinning that everyone will have to suffer through.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Which Baron we talking? Cool-rear end Ian McNiece, with his flowing red robes, or the David Lynch one with the heart-plugs and boils?

George Martin is to Ian McNiece as someone who writes is to someone who doesn't write. Or something.

I referred to the flying porker with the pustules and plugs.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

syscall girl posted:

This.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't wait for this season to be over because we are going to have at least one solid season of wheel spinning that everyone will have to suffer through.

I don't think the show fans will ever really know our pain, honestly. Dany and Bran look like they might catch up to the books by the end of this year. I think some characters will reach deep into TWoW material before the end of season five. The show runners are no dummies, they know Feast/Dance is lean on plot.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Tonight's episode is GRRM's and 25 mins in there have already been a few deviations from the book for the better. Fucker's definitely a TV writer.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

rawdog pozfail posted:

Tonight's episode is GRRM's and 25 mins in there have already been a few deviations from the book for the better. Fucker's definitely a TV writer.

Beauty and the Bastard.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

mkay0 posted:

I don't think the show fans will ever really know our pain, honestly. Dany and Bran look like they might catch up to the books by the end of this year. I think some characters will reach deep into TWoW material before the end of season five. The show runners are no dummies, they know Feast/Dance is lean on plot.

Petition HBO to cancel it before they finish the series, so we can all live in the same misery waiting for the books.

omg, the you tube clip where jaime knocks over the cup with his golden hand... some one please link it. I saw that in this episode and cracked the gently caress up.

I think they are going to use Bran to show the Tower scene with Lyanna and Ned. I think that flash of Ned is what they were foreshadowing.

WTF since when did they give us enough cues in the show that Brienne loved Jaime?

was anyone else underwhelmed by the scope of the wedding? All the interviews before were all OMG IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING SCENE I DONT THINK I WILL EVER WORK ON SET LIKE THIS AGAIN!!!!111111one

edit VVVVV thank you good ser!

kcroy fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 14, 2014

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

TVIV theory: The fool (What's his name, used to be a knight) poisoned Joffrey so he could have Sansa to himself. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6963891/why-george-rr-martin-shouldnt-plan-your-wedding

I was surprised at just how amusing this was. They've certainly got old Gurm down.