Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Bremen posted:

Generally though I'm leaning towards "it's a surgical operation that doesn't involve genes at all, and the writers didn't do their research."

I'm leaning towards "if you can't suspend your disbelief in an X-COM game you should probably audit your personality"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

ousire posted:

Agreed. I was in near tears from laughing after he finished his impersonation of Dr Vahlen.

Also, in the video, it was brought up that you can use the arc thrower on EXALT units, but you can't probe 'em with the containment unit. So, is there a point to doing it? Will you actually get a benefit for tazing and capturing an EXALT operative, or does it just take them out of the fight as if you had killed them?

Well, it obviously takes them out of the fight as you said. It's also tied to an achievement (enough reason for far too many people :v:). Stunning the Exalt dudes really does something special, but it's up to Jade Star to show it in a future video.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ousire posted:

Also, in the video, it was brought up that you can use the arc thrower on EXALT units, but you can't probe 'em with the containment unit. So, is there a point to doing it? Will you actually get a benefit for tazing and capturing an EXALT operative, or does it just take them out of the fight as if you had killed them?
Arc Throwers disregard aim/defense/cover which is handy if you send a noob operative (like green snipers which have the annoying limitation of being bad at nearly everything until rank 3 when they get Squad Sight) more so if you've done the Improved Arc Thrower foundry project, and when you successfully stun one they give you a bag of cheetos and a bottle of mountain dew.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I thought Skippy was kinda shrill and annoying, but different strokes and all that. Still seems like a pretty chill dude to hang out and play video games with.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Timely Skippy Granola updates are better than indefinitely postponed guava moment updates. I think skippy was funny and everything but I don't have a real preference. He works well with exalt missions it seems since those are sooo non-serious so the comedic tone is much better.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Bremen posted:

This is getting to be a kind of odd derail, but that would seem to require changing the genes for your immune system, which is not very localized (I'm not a biologist, but I believe it would involve changing the body's bone marrow.)

Alternately since the gene mods don't require any corpses, just meld and money, it could be they're inserting the genes for the alien organs and letting the soldiers bodies grow their own. In this case heredity would depend on if the handwavy tech changes the entire body or just the specific parts and the immune system.

Generally though I'm leaning towards "it's a surgical operation that doesn't involve genes at all, and the writers didn't do their research."

I'm a bit late to jump on this, but I want to say that I also lean toward "writers not doing their research." In the cutscene that plays after Meld Recommbination has been fully researched, Dr. Vahlen says that the meld particles contain nanomachines that allow them to do their magic. Then Dr. Shen--in the sentence immediately after that one--calls the machines microscopic. It's just... come on guys; you're supposed to be scientists! You should know that things that are on the nanoscopic scale are a thousand times smaller than those that are on the microscopic scale. Those words are not synonymous!

Anyway, on the guest commentator front, I think it'd be neat if you guys tried to have all three of you in there at once. Skippy could be the rookie, while Guava and Jade could be the teachers for their respective playstyles. That's kinda what was going on already, to be honest, minus having someone in the video itself who's less experienced. It's still something to consider though, if you guys think it could work. It'd be a bit like the Dark Souls LP, where it started with just Geop and Vicas before Kuvo and Squint jumped on-board later on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well if Vahlen said the meld was full of micromachines the entire base would get sidetracked by 80s/90s nostalgia.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
It's a video game, it works because they say it does. Science, bitch.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I've always assumed the gene soldiers are getting constant therapy, because the hookups are still on their arms. You wouldn't keep those things in if they weren't needed.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
They're like Harkonnen heart plugs, when their service in X-Com is over you pull those out and all the gene juice pours back out of them.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I'm more concerned with how they got this stuff perfect the first time. Or maybe they didn't, and the base is now missing a few staff "volunteers". Imagine being the guy who's told he's gonna get his limbs cut off to make sure it works before they try it on the soldiers, or the one they just injected with some Meld to see what it'd do.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Anyway, on the guest commentator front, I think it'd be neat if you guys tried to have all three of you in there at once. Skippy could be the rookie, while Guava and Jade could be the teachers for their respective playstyles. That's kinda what was going on already, to be honest, minus having someone in the video itself who's less experienced. It's still something to consider though, if you guys think it could work. It'd be a bit like the Dark Souls LP, where it started with just Geop and Vicas before Kuvo and Squint jumped on-board later on.

For any of the plot missions, I feel like having all three of them would be great. Especially considering how simple the plot missions are, there is a lot of down time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vahlen cuts off people's limbs in her spare time, so that part's easy.

Also, some Meld and Mech upgrades cost more than top of the line fighters. That money has to be spent on something, so why not 'volunteers'?

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I don't particularly think someone with Vahlen's... disposition would be content with the meager pickings brought home by any XCOM unit. Two mutons or not. If I had to guess, she would take the time to clone herself so a Vahlen could go out foraging with the team.

It takes a crazy scientist to show sufficient zeal in gathering specimens, no?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Holy poo poo dude, that is amazing.

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Felinoid posted:

I'm more concerned with how they got this stuff perfect the first time. Or maybe they didn't, and the base is now missing a few staff "volunteers". Imagine being the guy who's told he's gonna get his limbs cut off to make sure it works before they try it on the soldiers, or the one they just injected with some Meld to see what it'd do.

Now we know where the "rescued" terror mission civilians and the captured EXALT go.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dmaonk posted:

Now we know where the "rescued" terror mission civilians and the captured EXALT go.

It would at least explain the behavior that stunned EXALT personnel exhibit.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Duuk posted:

I don't particularly think someone with Vahlen's... disposition would be content with the meager pickings brought home by any XCOM unit. Two mutons or not. If I had to guess, she would take the time to clone herself so a Vahlen could go out foraging with the team.

It takes a crazy scientist to show sufficient zeal in gathering specimens, no?

Gotta give a :golfclap: for a good piece of fanart. The faces in this picture are priceless!

It'd never happen in reality though. Most XCOM players would much rather send Vahlen against impossible odds if they were given the choice to bring her into the field. It'd prevent them from having to listen to her incessant nagging for a little while, at least.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

It'd prevent them from having to listen to her incessant nagging for a little while, at least.

She probably went off and studied a Vita-chamber on the side during Terror from the Deep.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Stallion Cabana posted:

Dr. Vahlen does the amputations for MECs too.

What does she do with the extra limbs? :tinfoil:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
She saves them for Soylent Sundays at the cafeteria. Alien food has nothing on that poo poo.

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible

notZaar posted:

She saves them for Soylent Sundays at the cafeteria. Alien food has nothing on that poo poo.

At least until you research Reticulan Burgers.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Felinoid posted:

The implication is that we have performed research on this previously, but we were missing the method to perfect it and it came to us in the neat present of meld and the application of the technology turned out that we were better at appropriation of technology than even the aliens.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

The implication is that we have performed research on this previously, but we were missing the method to perfect it and it came to us in the neat present of meld and the application of the technology turned out that we were better at appropriation of technology than even the aliens.

Being better at appropriation of technology is basically X-coms THING. We didn't get laser technology from the aliens, they just made it possible to use research we already had with their much better power sources. Same for the MEC suits. Its the stuff you get in later months though that really mind-blowing.

Aliens invade and after 3 months of toying with their blown up technology scraps you are fielding firestorms, robot suits, genemodded soldiers and have both discovered and mastered Psionics.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

EdibleBodyParts posted:

At least until you research Reticulan Burgers.

I love that someone remembers this.

Also, your user name in a discussion about Vahlen using the limbs in the cafeteria...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Jade Star posted:

Also, your user name in a discussion about Vahlen using the limbs in the cafeteria...

Gene modded to be extra tender and delicious.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Tzarnal posted:

Aliens invade and after 3 months of toying with their blown up technology scraps you are fielding firestorms, robot suits, genemodded soldiers and have both discovered and mastered Psionics.

You can't Psi Lance or Mind Meld, and only one of your dudes can Rift. :colbert:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Tzarnal posted:

Mild plot/theme related stuff ahead, for people who know the endgame:

This is sort why I find the ending to X-Com:EU/EW a bit disappointing. I would much prefer it if the aliens would be horrified by the monster they accidentally created by trying to mess with humanity.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Bloodly posted:

I've always assumed the gene soldiers are getting constant therapy, because the hookups are still on their arms. You wouldn't keep those things in if they weren't needed.

I think that's because you can get both genemods in a location, but only one can be active at a time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jade Star posted:

I love that someone remembers this.

Oh just put some bleach on it.

Also wasn't there a long-running falafel tangent? I remember falafel.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Psion posted:

Oh just put some bleach on it.

Also wasn't there a long-running falafel tangent? I remember falafel.

people wanted taco tuesdays, then Ackbar argued for falafel fridays. So I went to a local Mediterranean restaurant and posted an update of my lunch plate of falafel over rice and tabbouleh.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what IS the point of the EXALT weapons? The description even says that they are the same as X-Com's ballistic weapons so are they just Grey Market fodder or somthing?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what IS the point of the EXALT weapons? The description even says that they are the same as X-Com's ballistic weapons so are they just Grey Market fodder or somthing?

you sometimes get requests to send them to countries too for more cash money.

I found out you can't send the laser variants if they're asking for ballistics the hard way.

Jegan posted:

I think that's because you can get both genemods in a location, but only one can be active at a time.

you can install more genemods later but I think you only get one per location

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I wouldn't call them "fodder"; they sell for like 1 or 2 X-Com bitcoins. Occasionally you'll get a request for like 10 of them to sell for something like 50, but it's never earthshattering.

I think there's no point other than consistency:

1) Alien weapons explode because of alien failsafes;
2) EXALT doesn't have alien failsafes;
3) Therefore, EXALT should always leave weapons behind; and
4) gently caress it, we already did the models anyway.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The point is you get cool reskins of your current weapons.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jade Star posted:

people wanted taco tuesdays, then Ackbar argued for falafel fridays. So I went to a local Mediterranean restaurant and posted an update of my lunch plate of falafel over rice and tabbouleh.

Well, on the upside now I know what I'm getting for lunch.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Iretep posted:

The point is you get cool reskins of weapons that you've already teched out of using. Except the rocket launcher

FTFY

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Iretep posted:

The point is you get cool reskins of your current weapons.

Yup. The default laser sniper is ugly as sin.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Presumably EXALT gets plasma weapons eventually, but I've never seen them.

Edit: looking at ufopedia, it appears that they don't! I guess they really aren't intended as anything more than a slight midgame bump.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I've used the Exalt heavy rifle before since regular heavy rifles can last long enough you don't need to research laser.

• Locked thread