Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I thought he was a full Mistborn, since he was sick for 16 days instead of one.

I don't remember it very well, but I thought they tested the people who were 'broken' by the mists for misting powers, and the ones that they found didn't have any turned out to be atium mistings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

I don't remember it very well, but I thought they tested the people who were 'broken' by the mists for misting powers, and the ones that they found didn't have any turned out to be atium mistings.

Yeah, pretty much.

Demoux can't die, though. Dude has meta-level immortality: Brandon promised the real life guy Demoux is a reference to that he wouldn't kill him off

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

Demoux can't die, though. Dude has meta-level immortality: Brandon promised the real life guy Demoux is a reference to that he wouldn't kill him off

Until the real life guy dies, at least. Then, book funeral.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Fair to Midland posted:

All random quotes:

Warbreaker spoilers
“Hello, a cheerful voice said in his mind. Would you like to destroy some evil today?”

I mean we're all adults here, we can roll our eyes at this. I'm not on some brigade against Brandon.. cause he finished WOT and he is a good writer, very good. But holy poo poo his faults are not getting better. I'm not even bringing up his character naming. I've found I completely lose myself (in a good way) in Brandon's writing until either a name comes up or dialog comes up.

Firstly this quote isn't a joke, it's not meant to be funny in even the least degree, it's holy poo poo because It's a semi-retarded sentient sword who likes to kill bad guys and is a total name drop from another book. (though apparently Nightblood is smarter than we've been lead to believe

Secondly I gotta ask how Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin, or Dalinar are any worse than Tyrion, Cersei, Eddard, Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Taran, Elonwy, Ged, or any other fantasy name out there to *such* an extent that it actually damages the story.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 15, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

treeboy posted:

Secondly I gotta ask how Shallan, Adolin, Kaladin, or Dalinar are any worse than Tyrion, Cersei, Eddard, Rand, Perrin, Egwene, Taran, Elonwy, Ged, or any other fantasy name out there to *such* an extent that it actually damages the story.

Apparently because Brandon Sanderson is an anime.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

treeboy posted:

Firstly this quote isn't a joke, it's not meant to be funny in even the least degree, it's holy poo poo because It's a semi-retarded sentient sword who likes to kill bad guys and is a total name drop from another book. (though apparently Nightblood is smarter than we've been lead to believe

And not only that, WB:but it's an insanely powerful sword even compared to shardblades in its own universe, and is now practically bathing in its previously-scarce food. Also it might just be my favorite Sanderson character.

As for the nitpicking, look at every sci-fi/fantasy thread dude. We're all a bunch of nerds trying to pretend we're not that nerd. These arguments are the result of conflicting defense mechanisms. It's static. Getting involved is...

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My favorite interaction from that particular spoiler from Warbreaker (paraphrasing): Nightblood: "You see those guys over there? They look evil. We should kill them. Let's go kill them!" (Vasher tosses the sword at them instead) NB's receding voice: "Okay well I guess this works too!"

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I've never had a problem with Sanderson's names, other than NewCago. Coming up with fantasy names is not easy unless you're a Tolkien level sperglord with writing back history and figuring out how names would be constructed in that world. Robert Jordan had so many names that, between books, I forgot who was who, and got 3 characters who were all women channelers confused and had no idea what was going on between chapters. Consider these 4 women from the Wheel of Time: Shana, Shanal, Shanan, Shanelle. It is very difficult to keep those straight, especially over 14 books and 20 years.

Sanderson at least keeps his names internally consistent. Nothing weird like the Sword of Truth having a character named Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander hanging out with a guy named Richard, fighting a guy named Darken.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Here's a link to chapters 1-3 of Dragonsteel, as well as some of Brandon's other unpublished stuff:

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/691-verified-locations-for-unreleased-bookschapters-and-sample-chapters-of-published-books/

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Kruller posted:

I've never had a problem with Sanderson's names, other than NewCago. Coming up with fantasy names is not easy unless you're a Tolkien level sperglord with writing back history and figuring out how names would be constructed in that world. Robert Jordan had so many names that, between books, I forgot who was who, and got 3 characters who were all women channelers confused

This is understandable simply on the basis of most of his female characters being the same intolerable person.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Honestly, if you can't enjoy the beauty of "Newcago" I'm not sure why you're reading genre fiction. Every instance put a smile on my face. (Which was nice, because the book was otherwise rather dull)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Am I the only one that was not at all surprised Jasnah lived? I doubted it during chapter 7 and I doubted it even more when some of the questions Nanavi put to Shallan implied she had faked her death before. I was completely unsurprised when she was alive in the epilogue. I was surprised when Szeth was resurrected, though it didn't bother me very much since it seemed like it was done so Szeth could suffer a clean break from his past.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Am I the only one that was not at all surprised Jasnah lived? I doubted it during chapter 7 and I doubted it even more when some of the questions Nanavi put to Shallan implied she had faked her death before. I was completely unsurprised when she was alive in the epilogue. I was surprised when Szeth was resurrected, though it didn't bother me very much since it seemed like it was done so Szeth could suffer a clean break from his past.

You were not. Sanderson really went out of his way to drop hints in the chapter where she "dies," like repeatedly pointing out that her body was missing. Also, from a storytelling standpoint, Jasnah was the wise old man archetype (Merlin/Gandalf/Moiraine/Obi-wan/etc), who very often die and return.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

She apparently just stuck around the whole time in the first draft of WoR, but that left Shallan with very little to do in her own book.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Was reading about some stuff he's said at signings and apparently he regrets killing Szeth instead of just having Kaladin take his honorblade

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Of course he does, it was really stupid.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It does kind of set the wrong tone for the rest of the books. One thing that many people love about GRRM's books is the feeling that any character can potentially die. It gives a sense of excitement to the narrative knowing that the characters can be taken away from us. Szeth being blatantly killed and then brought back does the exact opposite, it eliminates all fear I have of important characters dying. In the future books when I read someone "dying" I'll always be thinking "they'll be fine, the author can just bring them back". Even the illusion of these characters being at risk of an unexpected death is gone.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
It doesn't help that there is a lot of death fake outs in this books. In addition to the two that have been discussed heavily, it's also pretty clear that the Listener shardbearer whose name escapes me is not actually dead. Which means of the deaths of named characters in the book, there is a chance that approximately twenty five percent will stick, which is a low number.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Meinberg posted:

It doesn't help that there is a lot of death fake outs in this books. In addition to the two that have been discussed heavily, it's also pretty clear that the Listener shardbearer whose name escapes me is not actually dead. Which means of the deaths of named characters in the book, there is a chance that approximately twenty five percent will stick, which is a low number.

Wait what? What's the evidence for Ym living?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

api call girl posted:

Wait what? What's the evidence for Ym living?

I think he meant Eshonai

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Oh come on they just got taken out of the fight, they were in both stormform and working shardplate there's no way they were dead.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I've only just finished both Stormlight books (stayed up all last night to listen to the last 6 hours of WoR) so I'll hold off specific questions till I read the thread but I want to note that the Cosmere's villains should notice that putting the heroes in imminent mortal peril makes magical things happen.

Like Kelsier snapping.

Or Kaladin leveling up twice.

Or Adolin stabbing Sadeas in the loving eye.

You know, magical things. :allears:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Plus she's going to be the main POV character in book 4.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
All of the people getting pissy about obvious resurrections are going to get so pissed off when Sadeas comes back in book 5 or something.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Oh one thing, Hoid is an established Cosmere character? Because everywhere I read it seems that everyone knows him already, but I didn't notice him in Mistborn.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kraps posted:

Or Adolin stabbing Sadeas in the loving eye.

You know, magical things. :allears:

Truly magical.

Anyway, as for GRRM i don't think all of us think any characters can die at any time (I am pretty drat sure quite a lot are completely safe, and those who dies are usually not his obvious favorites), while with Sanderson he does tend to kill off his favories.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Kraps posted:

Oh one thing, Hoid is an established Cosmere character? Because everywhere I read it seems that everyone knows him already, but I didn't notice him in Mistborn.

In the first book, he's the old informant Kelsier speaks to (don't remember if he was in the later books, just happened to have just reread Final Empire). Generally, he's mostly had minor cameo appearances prior to Stormlight Archive.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rumda posted:

I think he meant Eshonai

I had a brainfart and thought Listener was an Order and of course a bonded spren was a shard(blade) etc. That'll teach me to post right after a meeting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kraps posted:

Yeah, he's the guy that cameos in every novel.

In Well of Ascension, he's unnamed. He leads the group of terris refugees that meet with Elend, overhears their conversation about the Well of Ascension, then sneaks in to grab some lerasium before poo poo gets real.

In Hero of Ages Vin considers meeting with him, then realizes that Hoid is a very weird guy, and decides that if your meeting with an informant looks weird, best not to meet.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

keiran_helcyan posted:

It does kind of set the wrong tone for the rest of the books. One thing that many people love about GRRM's books is the feeling that any character can potentially die. It gives a sense of excitement to the narrative knowing that the characters can be taken away from us. Szeth being blatantly killed and then brought back does the exact opposite, it eliminates all fear I have of important characters dying. In the future books when I read someone "dying" I'll always be thinking "they'll be fine, the author can just bring them back". Even the illusion of these characters being at risk of an unexpected death is gone.

Actually GRRM brings back dead characters too like frankenstein Clegane or Catelyn Stark. A few characters also obviously have plot armour, the plot won't really go anywhere if characters like Tyrion and Daenerys bite the dust. Arya Stark has the fabled my-wife-will-divorce-me-if-I-hurt-her armour.

GRRM just set a good precedent with Ned Stark and reinforced it with the Red Wedding. He kinda cheapened the latter though by bringing back Catelyn from the dead.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Late in WoR there's the implication that the expedition meets and wipes out the parshendi refugees, right?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Xachariah posted:

Actually GRRM brings back dead characters too like frankenstein Clegane or Catelyn Stark. A few characters also obviously have plot armour, the plot won't really go anywhere if characters like Tyrion and Daenerys bite the dust. Arya Stark has the fabled my-wife-will-divorce-me-if-I-hurt-her armour.

GRRM just set a good precedent with Ned Stark and reinforced it with the Red Wedding. He kinda cheapened the latter though by bringing back Catelyn from the dead.

In addition, there are tons of fake deaths as well (which I have no problem with whatsoever, but it can be pointed out) like Bran/Rickon, Davos, Aegon (???), Arya's eyesight, probably Jon (??) and probably Loras.

That said, I thought there should have been much more time between the revelations that these characters survived. If the chapters hadn't been right after each I think it would have been fine.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Xachariah posted:

I think everyone that claims GRRM kills off all his main characters and the like just got confused because it took the series a long time to make clear exactly who the protagonists were. Now that we pretty much know the main characters, it's pretty obvious who has plot armor, as you point out here.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Guys, Sanderson thread. Let's not discuss spoilers for other books.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You've heard the idea for the Sanderson Collab book, right? He and Pat Rothfuss take turns writing different sets of protagonists in opposition to each other. Once they get 90% of the way through the book, they then hand it over to GRRM, who will tell them how it ends and who survives.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Dunno about you guys but Wit is awesome. It's his job to mock people and it doesn't have to be "comic" because most of the time it's the truth. Who gives a drat if he basically calls Sadeas a poopyhead, nobody cares because he is. lmao that you think Sanderson is auditioning for standup, wow.

Wonder how a Mistborn movie would work, it would probably need some kind of UI to show what metals are being burned.

also http://ladyknightradiant.tumblr.com/post/80402078389/here-it-is-the-finished-product-all-printed

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
This is adorable and awesome. :3

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

http://ladyknightradiant.tumblr.com/tagged/WMC-final/chrono

Here's a link to the readable pages.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

I want to start the Cosmere books from the first one now but I'm also looking for future release dates or something like that, anyone have a link? Also, Steelheart and The Rithmatist aren't part of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kraps posted:

I want to start the Cosmere books from the first one now but I'm also looking for future release dates or something like that, anyone have a link? Also, Steelheart and The Rithmatist aren't part of it?

Future release dates are a bit in flux - Brandonsanderson.com has little thermometer bars detailing his progress on various books.

Steelheart and Rithmatist are non-cosmere (though he briefly toyed with it for Rithamatist). Neither is legion - general rule is that if it has any version of Earth in it, it's non-cosmere.