Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

mod sassinator posted:

Huh? They're going to sell it at Newegg and Microcenter, so it's not some closed thing.

Fixed my post. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mod sassinator posted:

Huh? They're going to sell it at Newegg and Microcenter, so it's not some closed thing.

That said it's certainly not going to be something most people want. To use the power of the GPU you'll need to use CUDA and other GPU acceleration APIs, so it's really meant for stuff like video processing. It's not going to be a board you can slap XBMC on and watch videos on your TV easily. Will probably make an interesting board for people that mine cryptocurrencies though.

It exposes the standard OpenGL pipelines and such as well, you can certainly use the GPU for normal things without the CUDA API and you should be able to slap XBMC on it just fine. And the fact that it can run CUDA is actually a pretty big deal, it's the most mature GPU API out there.

Sucks that the Pro version won't be sold to consumers, though, I didn't realize that.

Amberskin posted:

192 cores at 192 dollars... Definitely not in the same league as the Rpi. Not even the same league as the Cubietruck.

Having said that, this thing has to rock!

Agreed, both on price and in capability. 192 Kepler cores isn't a ton in comparison to high-end gaming GPUs or compute cards, but it's in the same ballpark as entry-level desktop GPU, like the GT630 which also has 192 cores, and the thing has a 10W TDP. Should be capable of doing some pretty serious games right out of the box (NVIDIA demoed it running Unreal Engine 4), and NVIDIA is better about driver support than the steaming pile Broadcom squeezed out. Runs Ubuntu 13.04. On that note the open-source drivers for the Raspberry Pi are finally moving along, someone got Quake 3 running and won the prize.

Its competition is more the Parallela than the Raspberry Pi, and it stacks up pretty well there. That's the use I see for this - it'll be for applications more intensive than web-browsing/word-processing/media PC desktop work or babysit-a-USB-device NAS-type work. It'll probably be capable of stuff like real-time compression, machine vision, etc with GPU assistance, and it's already running Unreal Engine 4. CUDA acceleration is really powerful (the GPU is 10x as powerful as a Parallela, or roughly 100x as powerful as the Rpi CPU), the code will be way more portable than Parallela, and it offers a semi-unified memory architecture which is really nice. Additionally, you can do more sustained throughput because of the mini-PCI-e/USB 3.0/SATA and because they're not trying to use USB as a system bus. In that sense it'll be a lot more like a APU system than the Rpi. You should also be able to build some interesting hardware configurations with this.

e: Performance should be roughly comparable to the PS3 or Xbox 360, or a Core i5-4200u/Intel HD 4400, a mid-2013 Haswell ULV chip. 4K video can be decoded at 30fps and encoded at 24fps, 1080p decoded at 120fps and encoded at 60fps.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 31, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So in theory we should now be capable of running Android on the Pi since their big hurdle was hardware decoding? Even if it is an outdated version of Android, having an OS that was designed for and has a library of applications based around touch screens is a great thing for stuff like car builds.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YouTuber posted:

So in theory we should now be capable of running Android on the Pi since their big hurdle was hardware decoding? Even if it is an outdated version of Android, having an OS that was designed for and has a library of applications based around touch screens is a great thing for stuff like car builds.

Possibly, but a lot of stuff is still not going to work right given the compromises that had to be made.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Ugh god they went full mid 90s on their webpage. Black background with green font.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

YouTuber posted:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Ugh god they went full mid 90s on their webpage. Black background with green font.

Mid 90s? It looks like an IBM 3279 display! Complete with underlined, double height and bold characters. Fortunately, they have not used blink.

And you can't say it is 90-ish because there is no "under construction" animated GIF :barf:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
1. Website is optimized for use on a raspberry pi now.

Too true. Looks great in links

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Lets see here - the new site boasts "ASCII art for the new millennium" and "Tastes of electric limes when licked". They also plan to use the site "to repel new customers from now on".

New site went live at 12:01 am.

On April 1st.

Yep.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CollegeCop posted:

Lets see here - the new site boasts "ASCII art for the new millennium" and "Tastes of electric limes when licked". They also plan to use the site "to repel new customers from now on".

New site went live at 12:01 am.

On April 1st.

Yep.

I just thought it was web 3.0. Isn't retro cool again?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

deong posted:

I just thought it was web 3.0. Isn't retro cool again?

Of course it is!

And, speaking of retro, I use my raspis mostly to emulate old systems. I'm not talking about consoles or home computers, but about really old systems, like PDP-8, PDP-10, PDP-11, VAXen and some even older IBM stuff (709x, 1401, 1350...). I wonder if there is enough interest about those things to deserve an specific thread about retrocomputing. And, being relatively new in SA I'm not sure about how such a thread should be created without being gas-chambered on sight.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Amberskin posted:

Of course it is!

And, speaking of retro, I use my raspis mostly to emulate old systems. I'm not talking about consoles or home computers, but about really old systems, like PDP-8, PDP-10, PDP-11, VAXen and some even older IBM stuff (709x, 1401, 1350...). I wonder if there is enough interest about those things to deserve an specific thread about retrocomputing. And, being relatively new in SA I'm not sure about how such a thread should be created without being gas-chambered on sight.

SHSC is pretty fine with making a new thread as long as it doesn't suck. Put some effort into the first post and I bet it will gain some interest.

I wouldn't mind reading about and seeing some screenshots/pics of what you are playing with.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Moey posted:

SHSC is pretty fine with making a new thread as long as it doesn't suck. Put some effort into the first post and I bet it will gain some interest.

The Linux thread is literally a few links and is from 2007 so the bar isn't exactly set high around here.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

quote:

RASPBERRY PI COMPUTE MODULE: NEW PRODUCT!

As regular readers will know, it’s been a busy time here at Pi Towers recently with the launch of our new website, free educational materials and £1m education fund.

On the engineering side of things we’ve also been very busy over the past year, and not to be outdone by the education team, we are ready to take the wraps off something special, this time aimed at business and industrial users.

What's this little thing? Read on to find out.

From humble beginnings, the Raspberry Pi platform has grown and matured: the software is now full-featured and stable, and is still constantly improving thanks to the continuing hard work of our heroic community of volunteers; as well as targeted injections of funding to solve some specific issues. The Pi, and the Broadcom BCM2835 SoC at its heart, are also steadily becoming more open.

We love hearing about what users are doing with their Raspberry Pis, and are constantly amazed at the range of projects, as well as the inventiveness and creativeness of the community. We are also aware that there are a very significant number of users out there who are embedding the Raspberry Pi into systems and even commercial products. We think there needs to be a better way to allow people to get their hands on this great technology in a more flexible form factor, but still keep things at a sensible price.

Like proud parents, we want to free the core technology of the Raspberry Pi to go forth and become an integral part of new and exciting products and devices, and so today we are announcing the forthcoming Raspberry Pi Compute Module.

Compute Module on the left. What does it do? Read on to find out.

The compute module contains the guts of a Raspberry Pi (the BCM2835 processor and 512Mbyte of RAM) as well as a 4Gbyte eMMC Flash device (which is the equivalent of the SD card in the Pi). This is all integrated on to a small 67.6x30mm board which fits into a standard DDR2 SODIMM connector (the same type of connector as used for laptop memory*). The Flash memory is connected directly to the processor on the board, but the remaining processor interfaces are available to the user via the connector pins. You get the full flexibility of the BCM2835 SoC (which means that many more GPIOs and interfaces are available as compared to the Raspberry Pi), and designing the module into a custom system should be relatively straightforward as we’ve put all the tricky bits onto the module itself.

So what you are seeing here is a Raspberry Pi shrunk down to fit on a SODIMM with onboard memory, whose connectors you can customise for your own needs.

The Compute Module is primarily designed for those who are going to create their own PCB. However, we are also launching something called the Compute Module IO Board to help designers get started.

Empty IO board on the left: Compute Module snapped into place on the right.

The Compute Module IO Board is a simple, open-source breakout board that you can plug a Compute Module into. It provides the necessary power to the module, and gives you the ability to program the module’s Flash memory, access the processor interfaces in a slightly more friendly fashion (pin headers and flexi connectors, much like the Pi) and provides the necessary HDMI and USB connectors so that you have an entire system that can boot Raspbian (or the OS of your choice). This board provides both a starting template for those who want to design with the Compute Module, and a quick way to start experimenting with the hardware and building and testing a system before going to the expense of fabricating a custom board.

IO Board

Initially, the Compute Module and IO Board will be available to buy together as the Raspberry Pi Compute Module Development Kit.

These kits will be available from RS and element14 some time in June. Shortly after that the Compute Module will be available to buy separately, with a unit cost of around $30 in batches of 100; you will also be able to buy them individually, but the price will be slightly higher. The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a charity, and as with everything we make here, all profits are pushed straight back into educating kids in computing.

I’m sure people will be keen to get their design process started; initially we are releasing just the schematics for both the Compute Module and IO Board, but we will be adding plenty more documentation over the coming days and weeks.

Happy creating!

*But don’t go plugging the Compute Module into your laptop – the pins assignments aren’t even remotely the same!

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
As someone wrote in the comments, it's just question of time before we have a board ready to plug in several of these Raspi-C's to form a RaspiBlade or a RaspiCluster.

The only drawback imho is it has no NIC.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I dunno, I really don't see the appeal of using the Pi as a webserver or computing node for anything serious. You can spin up some insane multicore and even fancy compute GPU machines on AWS in seconds and only pay for the amount of time you use them. As a webserver the Pi is going to be about as good as something from 10 years ago, so it will serve some static pages fine but not really have enough memory to do much intensive stuff. A Xeon or even core i7 will likely have much better computing power per area with its 4+ cores and hyperthreading--easily handling the load of 8+ Pis in an area less than the size of a single Pi.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Pi server blade appeal is basically inexperienced people who have it as their first experience, and now that they have this hammer....

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I wonder what gets destroyed when you plug it into the laptop. The laptop, the Pi, or both?

edit:

I can't think what I'd use it for, but I think this is pretty badass, for the record. It's an even smaller, deployable Pi with an included dev board.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

I dunno, I really don't see the appeal of using the Pi as a webserver or computing node for anything serious. You can spin up some insane multicore and even fancy compute GPU machines on AWS in seconds and only pay for the amount of time you use them. As a webserver the Pi is going to be about as good as something from 10 years ago, so it will serve some static pages fine but not really have enough memory to do much intensive stuff. A Xeon or even core i7 will likely have much better computing power per area with its 4+ cores and hyperthreading--easily handling the load of 8+ Pis in an area less than the size of a single Pi.

Which is why it was heralded as the next BBC Micro, and then it wasn't. Plenty of people have done cool stuff with it, but it's more of an alternative to a beaglebone/arduino than a groundbreaking learning tool.

I'm pretty sure I've read that it's a big hit in Africa/other poorer nations, so there is that.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mod sassinator posted:

EC2 costs as much as a pi per month. It's a terrible learning environment. The pi is a bad compute node or webserver, but it's a reasonable embedded appliance. EC2 isn't in the same market at all

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

evol262 posted:

EC2 costs as much as a pi per month. It's a terrible learning environment. The pi is a bad compute node or webserver, but it's a reasonable embedded appliance. EC2 isn't in the same market at all

Yeah I agree, the Pi alone is an awesome device. Putting a dozen Pi's into a cluster or blade system doesn't make any sense to me.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I agree, the Pi alone is an awesome device. Putting a dozen Pi's into a cluster or blade system doesn't make any sense to me.

Because learning clustering on EC2 is ludicrously expensive.

The pi will never be a match for blades, but a smaller form factor lets you slot an pi in as the brains if embedded devices which need more resources than atmels, but still don't need the other bits of the pi (gpio headers, HDMI, composite, Ethernet, whatever).

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

evol262 posted:

Because learning clustering on EC2 is ludicrously expensive.

The pi will never be a match for blades, but a smaller form factor lets you slot an pi in as the brains if embedded devices which need more resources than atmels, but still don't need the other bits of the pi (gpio headers, HDMI, composite, Ethernet, whatever).

Yeah, I think they are mostly doing this for people that want to design niche commercial devices based on the BCM2835 the Pi uses. Since Broadcom is so swell and won't sell you one unless you order in units of 100,000 and everything.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
More than anything, I hope this blows open the market for cheap, well-distributed SOMs like the Pi opened a market for cheap Linux-capable dev-boards.

Right now, the vast majority of SOMs cost over $100, and can't be purchased through Digikey, Mouser, et cetera. I'd love to see that change.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

hifi posted:

Which is why it was heralded as the next BBC Micro, and then it wasn't. Plenty of people have done cool stuff with it, but it's more of an alternative to a beaglebone/arduino than a groundbreaking learning tool.

I'm pretty sure I've read that it's a big hit in Africa/other poorer nations, so there is that.

It's nice for people who want to set up a computer lab in "rustic" conditions, because Pis have a low TDP, no moving parts, and run off a low-voltage DC source (eg a battery system).

But a lot of people in Africa and other poor countries do have access to computers, it's called a smartphone and old ones are pretty cheap even there. The things a Pi does that a smartphone doesn't tend to relate to programming and other educational tasks. And if you need a desktop there's cyber cafes (notoriously so, lots of internet scams run out of them).

So it's nice for schools and such, because you can stand up a computer lab cheaply and in some bad conditions, but a lot of the other needs are covered or niche enough that the Pi isn't a huge deal.

This is my understanding at least.

The fact that the initial revision of the Raspberry Pi had hardware flaws that exacerbated critical software bugs that may remain unfixed 2 years after launch probably didn't help the Pi not becoming the next BBC micro either. A flaw in the USB stack is a critical bug in a system that's architectured using USB as a system bus, and they just sat on their hands and got real indignant when people implied that losing USB packets was actually a bug.

The advantage of the Pi over cheap chinese SOCs was supposed to be support and that just didn't pan out.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 8, 2014

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Maybe this form factor would be good for devices that need a computer or controller board with some GPIO functionality to control them, like 3D printers or CNC rigs. A barebones laptop also comes to mind.

It'd be really cool if other manufacturers like Beagleboard copy the pinout so that people could buy devices with a slot for a small controller/computer and pick what board suits their needs and upgrade as needed.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I've got a laptop with a dead mobo but everything else is fine (display, keyboard, trackpad). Any pointers on how to add the pi in to make a pi laptop? There is a kit you can get on eBay to get the display connected, but the keyboard connector might be a bridge too far! Anyone here had any luck?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fliptophead posted:

I've got a laptop with a dead mobo but everything else is fine (display, keyboard, trackpad). Any pointers on how to add the pi in to make a pi laptop? There is a kit you can get on eBay to get the display connected, but the keyboard connector might be a bridge too far! Anyone here had any luck?

The keyboards are almost always USB (on a ribbon cable, of course), but even if it's old and PS/2, you can wire it to a converter. Ditto for the trackpad. The LVDS ribbon will be your biggest hurdle, along with backlight control, etc.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

evol262 posted:

The keyboards are almost always USB (on a ribbon cable, of course), but even if it's old and PS/2, you can wire it to a converter. Ditto for the trackpad. The LVDS ribbon will be your biggest hurdle, along with backlight control, etc.

Oh really? That's actually pretty good news then!

This is the kit I'm looking at for the display connection, which seems to cover off on most of the issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-NT68676-2...=item1c33990645

Still looks like it will be a painful process...

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
Yesterday I got my replacement BB (Beaglebone Black), two months after returning my first one. The USB interface of the old one died without apparent reason (the BB was unpowered for a while and when I tried to power it back on it stopped to work), so I RTMd without problem (except for the wait time).

Just as a heads up, there is now a native debian build to replace the "native" Angstrom, and it seems TI plans to offer BBs with the EMMC flashed with this distro. Which is good. Right now there is an image you can easily flash into the SD and another which should be flashable to the emmc. I'm running from the SD now, and it is A-OK.

I didn't remember this card has LOTS of GPIOs. Now I just have to thing about a project to use it :getin:

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Cool, sounds like you got rev C. Here's an update I got from makertronic March 31:

"As of 4pm today, we were notified by CircuitCo that they are stopping production of the BeagleBone Black Rev B units, due to a memory shortage. They are beginning production of the Rev C BeagleBone Blacks that will have 4GB of eMMC Flash and come preloaded with Debian Linux.

With the increase in flash also comes a $10 increase in price. BeagleBone Black Rev C units will be $55 each.

We have been assured by CircuitCo that we will be able to ship all remaining backorders for Rev B units. As of now we have disabled buying Rev B boards and created a pre-order for the Rev C units.

Rev C until will not begin shipping until Apr 30th."

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Anyone know if the raspi runs freebsd reliably?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

keyvin posted:

Anyone know if the raspi runs freebsd reliably?

Get a beaglebone

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

evol262 posted:

Get a beaglebone

Sold out everywhere. Looks like I am going to have to wait for the 30th.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

keyvin posted:

Microcenter has them sitting on the shelf here if that's an option.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

eddiewalker posted:

Microcenter has them sitting on the shelf here if that's an option.

I'd have to drive 110 miles to the closest Microcenter :(

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

keyvin posted:

I was just at a Radio Shack (ugh) yesterday and saw they had a few Beaglebone Blacks on the shelf. The problem is they're in a starter kit and cost $89. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28805666

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

mod sassinator posted:

I was just at a Radio Shack (ugh) yesterday and saw they had a few Beaglebone Blacks on the shelf. The problem is they're in a starter kit and cost $89. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=28805666

Can't say I want it that badly.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Question for those running a RasPi webserver: What's the best tutorial for starting this project? If I'm looking to run a webpage from a home connection, is there a recommended guide that can help me along the way? I've found a bunch of basic guides so far, but I'm specifically looking for one that puts an emphasis on locking down the thing for security purposes.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Linode's guide is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
If anyone is curious freebsd runs on the Pi. It takes about a minute and a half to boot. The system is extremely sluggish. There isn't a repository for pkg to use meaning that everything would have to be compiled through ports unless I am missing something. Oh, it only successfully mounts the root file system every other boot or so. The keyboard sometimes stopped responding. Overall I would say that yes, you can install freebsd on the pi - but it isn't really usable. Hopefully the BBB is a lot better. Guess I'll find out in May.