Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Bloody hell, when you guys and your matching seizure avatars have a conversation it looks so schizophrenic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
@Hope_Smoke: McKenzie "I've heard that the Flames could have had Nyquist and Tatar for Bouwmeester or another player but chose not to"
@Hope_Smoke: McKenzie "based on my information, that was the Wings' package for Bouwmeester, but not for Iginla"

~Jay Feaster~

But holy poo poo, what were you thinking offering that poo poo, Kenny?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mind_Taker posted:

I am being trolled here so hard.

Didn't Nashville face Detroit like six years in a row in the first round, and lost all of them? I remember reading something crazy like that.

They won against Detroit in '12 though which owned.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I made a GDT for the draft lottery so this thread wouldn't be destroyed by six pages of "HAHAHAHAHHA" and "gently caress corey perry" when Anaheim wins

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625713

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ThinkTank posted:

Eliotte Friedman mentioned in his 30 Thoughts today that he believes the Canucks considered a one year $7.5M offer sheet for Jamie Benn last year.

:sigh: If only...

tom gagliardi hates the aquilinis more than any man has every hated another. there was zero chance dallas wouldn't match. zero

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

the talent deficit posted:

tom gagliardi hates the aquilinis more than any man has every hated another. there was zero chance dallas wouldn't match. zero

Why is that? Did he buy a leaky condo?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Darren Dreger
Expect Hockey Canada to name Dave Tippett head coach for Worlds. DeBoer confirmed as assistant. Maurice and Maclean also in mix.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

Eliotte Friedman mentioned in his 30 Thoughts today that he believes the Canucks considered a one year $7.5M offer sheet for Jamie Benn last year.

:sigh: If only...

two years ago and im kinda glad they didnt do it

could you imagine giving up this year's pick because jamie benn also succumbed to The Curse

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.

ehnus posted:

Why is that? Did he buy a leaky condo?

Gagliardi was going to buy the Canucks with the Aquilinis and then Aquilini bought it and Gagliardi took him to court for breaking the original deal. At least that's how I always understood it.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Are we going to talk about the loser teams bonus games AKA World Hockey Championships here or should I make a new thread

Team Canada apparently wants to have their roster finalized tomorrow, this is who they have so far confirmed going:

Forwards:
Troy Brower
David Perron
Kyle Turris
Joel Ward

Defense:
Kevin Bieksa
Ryan Ellis
Erik Gudbranson
Marc Methot

Goalies:
???

Hall-Nuge-Eberle have been confirmed to be invited with no response yet. Eric Staal has declined an invitation. First game is May 9th

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Henrique said he wants to go and with DeBoer as an assistant coach it'd be a bit shocking if he wasn't invited.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 16, 2014

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

Darren Dreger
Expect Hockey Canada to name Dave Tippett head coach for Worlds. DeBoer confirmed as assistant. Maurice and Maclean also in mix.

Chris Neil named to team canada

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Are Sens fans all hating on MacLean now? Got lucky last year with unsustainable goaltending? lovely personnel decisions? Bad system? Or is it mostly Melnyk/Murray giving him a poo poo roster?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
@TSNBobMcKenzie: By my math, there's 76.8% chance one of 5 teams in studio will go home with No. 1 pick. Or 23.2% they don't. #arithmetic
@strombone1: @TSNBobMcKenzie I'll slide you a five in a couple weeks when I see you. You know what to do!

COLLUSION. :tinfoil:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Are Sens fans all hating on MacLean now? Got lucky last year with unsustainable goaltending? lovely personnel decisions? Bad system? Or is it mostly Melnyk/Murray giving him a poo poo roster?

I like him still.

I doubt playing Cowen as much as he did was solely a coaching decision. Some of the other stuff... Well, nobody is perfect, and Greening/Smith/Neil need to play somewhere.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

T-Bone posted:

I'd say it's mostly the lovely personnel decisions. A lot of the issues he had this year were framed differently last year; playing Neil, Smith and Greening a lot when you were so hit by injuries that you had no one who had ever shown that they could score at a 2nd line level on the team and half the guys were in the AHL as of the year before is one thing, playing them this year over Ryan/MacArthur/Zibanejad when those guys were healthy and playing obviously well is another. Some parts were just a bad situation; Spezza/Michalek's first half is something that most coaches would have had a a hard time reacting to. I think the system is fine. It wasn't a great roster in retrospect but MacLean should have absolutely done more with it.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

MacLean lost this season before the season started with a system that didn't end up panning out in camp and a roster situation & ownership set cap that wouldn't be easy for any coach in this league to overcome. He made a bad call on his defensive systems this year yeah but I think he's the kind of guy to return to form for sure.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Senators seem like a team that could pull a pretty quick turnaround if the goaltending returns to .920ish levels. Cowen was a disaster but Ceci looked pretty good. Phillips/Neil are a problem but if Spezza/Hemsky play like they did down the stretch.

Do you guys think they should trade Spezza?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

MacLean lost this season before the season started with a system that didn't end up panning out in camp and a roster situation & ownership set cap that wouldn't be easy for any coach in this league to overcome. He made a bad call on his defensive systems this year yeah but I think he's the kind of guy to return to form for sure.
There was no change in the system from last year (or 2011-12) to this year, and I think it's a fine system that works well for our personnel.

Trading Spezza is a move for the team doctor to decide, honestly. If his back is fine than I have no issue with re-signing him, if it's not than it should be a major issue and I'd probably recommend trading him, or at least not going in on a big extension.

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 16, 2014

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

What do you get for an older, expensive playmaking center that's having trouble finding anyone to make plays with for most of a season? Might as well ride out the deal and keep value, and like was previously stated, big hit less actual money cheap owner.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

There was no change in the system from last year (or 2011-12) to this year, and I think it's a fine system that works well for our personnel.

MacLean admitted in an interview during media availability today that they changed their defensive blue line positioning.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mind_Taker posted:

I am being trolled here so hard.

I should go kill myself cuz I agree with him about Trotz. Not that I think he's bad though it's more I think Nashville probably needs a culture change from top to bottom at this point

I maybe have bad opinions but I think this one is probably closer to right and all the people flipping their poo poo about Trotz are overreacting and following the whole SAS groupthink thing

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

I should go kill myself cuz I agree with him about Trotz. Not that I think he's bad though it's more I think Nashville probably needs a culture change from top to bottom at this point

I maybe have bad opinions but I think this one is probably closer to right and all the people flipping their poo poo about Trotz are overreacting and following the whole SAS groupthink thing

i mean i agree inasmuch as every coach has a shelf life with a given team but the way that simmons is phrasing that and his barely-concealed intentions in broadcasting that fact and his 8th grader ACTUALLY IF YOU READ SOMETHING ELSE INTO IT THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU I'M JUST STATING FACTS HERE and his subsequent defense of carlyle are a pretty obvious confluence of Simmons Is An Idiot

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Well yeah I don't agree with his overall point because he's like "Carlyle is cool and Trotz sucks advanced stats what" but I mean it's not horribly surprising Trotz is being let go at this point...Nashville needs to kind of reconfigure itself

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Levitate posted:

I'm with Simmons on this one. 15 years, 2 playoff round wins. 3rd from bottom last year, and missed again this year.

Has to start somewhere. Poile won't get to fire two coaches.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

T-Bone posted:

The Senators seem like a team that could pull a pretty quick turnaround if the goaltending returns to .920ish levels. Cowen was a disaster but Ceci looked pretty good. Phillips/Neil are a problem but if Spezza/Hemsky play like they did down the stretch.

Hemsky is gone, and Spezza and Murray have both been very noncommittal on his future with the team. At this point I would be more surprised if he wasn't traded this offseason.

But they did re-sign Phillips for only 2.5 million when they could have let him walk for nothing!

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Congratulations to the Florida Panthers for taking away Buffalo's only ray of hope this season

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

No

But melnyk all but fuckin confirmed that they are this summer

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

revtoiletduck posted:

Hemsky is gone

Didn't they already enter talks with him? And the whole "Spezza is the best center I've ever played with" thing? If Spezza stays you gotta think they try to resign Hemsky.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pffft Buffalo didn't want Ekblad anyway.

Or is Reinhart the one people want? whatever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

canuckanese posted:

Pffft Buffalo didn't want Ekblad anyway.

Or is Reinhart the one people want? whatever.

Neither. It's Bennett now.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Aphrodite posted:

Neither. It's Bennett now.

Craig Button says Calgary will get Bennett!

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i think i like dal colle and draisaitl better than any of those 3. if the islanders keep their pick i sure hope they get one of those two

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
So the Oilers are now in line to pick one of Sam Bennett or Sam Reinhart, two small-ish skilled forwards, which would end with a lot of angry yelling about not picking a big guy/defenseman.

DOOMocrat posted:

What do you get for an older, expensive playmaking center that's having trouble finding anyone to make plays with for most of a season? Might as well ride out the deal and keep value, and like was previously stated, big hit less actual money cheap owner.
The counter argument to that is that Spezza is one of the very few players who can maintain a point per game average, and those are in short supply.

DOOMocrat posted:

MacLean admitted in an interview during media availability today that they changed their defensive blue line positioning.
This was, at best, a minor change, to the point where I would question whether MacLean is being honest about it being a change at all.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

So the Oilers are now in line to pick one of Sam Bennett or Sam Reinhart, two small-ish skilled forwards, which would end with a lot of angry yelling about not picking a big guy/defenseman.

is it a foregone conclusion that ekblad doesn't make it to them? a bunch of projections i've seen have him falling to 3.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Just gonna finish off my media blitz for the day:

I started a playoff pick em contest with real life prizes to be won and even some custom art work. Link!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761

I don't know why the hell that won't turn into a link, but I trust your collective ability to copy/paste.

e. Thanks pleads

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 16, 2014

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

a false posted:

is it a foregone conclusion that ekblad doesn't make it to them? a bunch of projections i've seen have him falling to 3.

Ekblad isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the group, but from a plurality standpoint, he seems to be the most common pick to go first overall. If he wasn't picked at #1, I'd be surprised to see Buffalo pass on him, even considering their glut of defensive prospects

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Stickarts you forgot to declare what kind of protocol you're using on that link, which is why it's broken.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761

(It's hypertext transfer, that's the protocol)

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Stickarts posted:

Just gonna finish off my media blitz for the day:

I started a playoff pick em contest with real life prizes to be won and even some custom art work. Link!

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761

I don't know why the hell that won't turn into a link, but I trust your collective ability to copy/paste.
Add url brackets around it like this

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

gently caress the oilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

gently caress the oilers