Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I smell impending tears ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

comes along bort posted:

The series finale script leaked a while back (serious spoilers: don't read if you don't want the whole show ruined)

Please excuse me if I don't believe this, especially with the giant Kartheiser stamp.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
also the name of Eagleheart creator Jason Woliner in the corner and every single thing about it being blatantly fake

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Even if it was real, would anyone really care? This show doesn't rely on an endless succession of plot twists, cliffhangers and regularly killing off main characters as substitutes for actual storytelling and character studies.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
No matter how this show ends, I'll never forget the cacophony of phone calls I got after the lawn mower incident, and also my own jaw dropping

That might be one of the best things on TV ever

E: What are some other 'wtf' moments like that this show has had? Despite how much I like it, I don't do much in the way of rewatching it :shrug:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fetus Tree posted:

No matter how this show ends, I'll never forget the cacophony of phone calls I got after the lawn mower incident, and also my own jaw dropping

E: What are some other 'wtf' moments like that this show has had? Despite how much I like it, I don't do much in the way of rewatching it :shrug:

Other than Ken getting shot in the face by drunken car execs?

There's also Sterling raising his arms like an eagle, exposing his naked, glorious manhood to the streets of New York.

And, I guess it's less wtf, but Allison Brie ripping on Pete for exchanging the extra chip'n'dip for a BB gun was :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Oh yeah duh, I just saw that ken getting shot one. I didnt only mean like, bang bang wtf, but also emotionally wtf or whatever. Like, the hershey pitch would be one of those because you can feel your skin prickle as hes saying it.

E: was it a BB gun or a rifle? i always thought it was a legit .22 or something

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh, it might've been. It's been a while. I like how it popped up in his office as a prop from time to time.

If we're counting emotionally wtf, that last shot in the first episode of Don going home to his loving, naive wife definitely threw me for a loop.

There's the last shot of Lane. We kind of knew it was coming, but the makeup was gloriously macabre. I don't normally rewind to rewatch stuff, but that was one of those moment for sure. Also, the reaction shots of peoples' horrified expressions while they covered their noses.

Ginsberg: "I'm from Mars." :stare:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Fetus Tree posted:

The end of the first episode is fairly wtf. The entirety of the episode sells Don as a bachelor with an artist girlfriend, and then the reveal of the family in the suburbs was pretty surprising.

Another one is when his brother kills himself. I mean you can kind of see it coming, but it's still pretty shocking.

I don't know if it's shocking per se, but the way the editing manipulates the timeline with the Joan - GM guy - Don situation made for a nice reveal when you realize that Don's visit to Joan came too late.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't know if it's shocking per se, but the way the editing manipulates the timeline with the Joan - GM guy - Don situation made for a nice reveal when you realize that Don's visit to Joan came too late.

Do you remember which episode that might be? I wanna check that out. Also, I guess I gotta rewatch the first episode because I forgot about the way they played that all out

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Fetus Tree posted:

Do you remember which episode that might be? I wanna check that out. Also, I guess I gotta rewatch the first episode because I forgot about the way they played that all out

I forget the Season/Episode number, but I think it's the one titled, "The Other Woman."

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Sakarja posted:

Even if it was real, would anyone really care? This show doesn't rely on an endless succession of plot twists, cliffhangers and regularly killing off main characters as substitutes for actual storytelling and character studies.

Thank you for putting what I hate about certain books, movies, and series into words so well.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I don't really care one way or the other, but I don't think it's impossible that Megan could be murdered.

I don't think it would be like, "Oh Don, I'm going to a party at my friend, SHARON TATE'S house!" I don't even think it'll be "about" Megan.

I could have been reading it wrong, but when Don was trying to get busy with Megan last episode, and she talks about how she's just "nervous", I got the impression that she's been cheating on Don to further her career. I don't really think Don would care all that much if he found out, BUT let's say someone breaks in to Megan's house and murders her: it's possible that Don would be a person of interest, with the idea that he finds out his wife was cheating on him, and kills her. But being a suspect isn't the big thing:

Since the beginning of the series, Don has been trying to keep his real identity a secret, even passing up a government contract because he'd have to do a background check. If he became a person of interest, he'd be investigated, and more than likely be found out by law enforcement. Where it would go from there, I have no idea.

It's crazy, and I doubt it'll actually happen, but if you told me before it happened that a dude would get his foot mangled by a lawnmower, or Laine was going to hang himself, I wouldn't believe it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fetus Tree posted:

Peggy stabbing her boyfriend with a spear is the first one that comes to mind.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
When Betty fucks that random dude in a restaurant bathroom, that definitely threw me for a loop. Really the disconnected manner in which she did it was what got me.

e: SOPRANOS LEVEL TV HISTORY

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 16, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Oh yeah, those are both good ones. Interesting how most of them have come from last season so far. Wonder if thats more of a 'fresh in our minds' thing or if more bull poo poo is happening as the show ages

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
No you guys this is obviously the final scene. I made it up in last year's thread:

code:
SERIES FINALE

DRAPER RESIDENCE. 2006. NEW YEARS EVE.

INT NIGHT

A wan, sickly liver-spotted DON DRAPER, barely recognizable from the ravages of age lies in his bed, a still subtly glamorous MEGAN and his grown children surrounding him. 
A SNOWGLOBE weakly grasped in his right hand.

DON's labored breathing slows. He turns with a heave toward MEGAN, in the barest whisper beckoning her near. 

In the faintest rasp he says, enigmatically as the SNOWGLOBE falls on the deep pile carpet:

Fourthmeal.

CUT TO BLACK. ROLLING STONES "2000 LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME" BEGINS PLAYING OVER CREDITS.

SOPRANOS LEVEL TV HISTORY

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

I'm still waiting for Don to fall down that elevator shaft.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Once again, Tom and Lorenzo nail it:
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/04/mad-style-time-zones/

A few of my favorite points:

quote:

The only thing you need to note about Freddie is how he’s shot and the fact that he looks more impeccably groomed here than he ever has. Rather than be cute about it, we’re just gonna jump ahead to show you what he’s contrasting:

Starting with a closeup of the face, moving out to a medium shot and then taking it even further, out to a long shot. The opening and closing shots of the episode, mirroring each other. The reason Freddie looks so well groomed is because he’s a literal stand-in for Don Draper. The irony with that final shot is that Don Draper is no longer Don Draper. That’s Dick Whitman on that balcony, cold and shivering.

quote:

It’s also notable how subjective this scene is; how it goes from Don’s point of view to a more objective one. Megan comes out of the car in slow motion, looking like sex on legs to Don. The scene speeds up, she opens her mouth, and it’s all stress and fidgeting and awkwardness. Either he’s completely blind to what she’s feeling or he’s deliberately telling himself a more comforting story; a story where his beautiful wife can’t wait to see him and tear his clothes off.
They're talking about the airport scene with Don and Megan, and rewatching it, they are dead on. As soon as Megan starts talking the spell is broken. She's not some sex goddess, she's a human with problems and anxieties and a real life. I'm starting to get the feeling that Don really does know how hot he is, and those iconic "Don Draper Sexy" scenes we see are set up by him and he's living some walking Madison Avenue fantasy of his own creation. I used to think Don was just a guy who is sexy and studied in his casual not caring about it, but now I'm not so sure. Stuff like him looking sexy lighting a cigarette, strutting out of the gym a few seasons ago to the Rolling Stones...he's doing it on purpose. Does that make sense?

I also liked this from their initial recap:
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/04/mad-men-time-zones/

quote:

Neve Campbell’s character almost seemed like a parody of the bored, middle-aged sexy women who spew deep statements and philosophical musings at him before offering him sex. If Don has a type, that’s it.

Cut right to the heart of it on that one.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

sleepingbuddha posted:

Nicotine gum and mints didn't exist then. It was Tums.

A lot of you are confusing the DTs with the shakes. Don did have the shakes in the last finale, but DTs are horrendous hallucinations with convulsions and don't start until about 3 days after complete discontinuation of alcohol.

Just because nicotine gum didn't exist back then doesn't mean people didn't try to stick things in their mouth to try to quit smoking. The 70s cop show Kojak had Telly Savalas playing a badass cop, who who liked to suck lollipops instead of smoking. So a smoker trying to quit by chewing on gum or chomping on some mints isn't that farfetched.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thrakkorzog posted:

Just because nicotine gum didn't exist back then doesn't mean people didn't try to stick things in their mouth to try to quit smoking. The 70s cop show Kojak had Telly Savalas playing a badass cop, who who liked to suck lollipops instead of smoking. So a smoker trying to quit by chewing on gum or chomping on some mints isn't that farfetched.

Yeah but it was antacid and you're being really TVIV right now. There's no code to crack, you don't have to solve the case of the chewable something. A character was stressed, he ate an antacid, any secret messages you're picking up are just coming from the neighbor's dog like usual.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I started reading T&L recaps since Season 5, Tom and Lorenzo loving own.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dancing Peasant posted:

This isn't a twist heavy show, but they still call more of the plot developments than anyone else based on their analysis of the clothes alone.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dancing Peasant posted:

They're leaders in the field of Mad Men hyperscrutiny for sure, but like a lot of internet critics they misuse "death of the author." I've noticed them starting more and more preemptive arguments about how Janie Bryant's intentions as costumer don't matter to their interpretation, but willfully refusing to even consider the artist's thought process, priorities, and artistic language just guarantees a critic will latch on to a lot of red herrings.

They do something I see goons do a lot actually, treating the visual storytelling aspect of a show as a simple rebus, image = word. Rust Cohle's tie means doom (or something, I skipped that theorizing in the True Detective thread because oof), blue and green in Mad Men means adultery. A frame of a television show is just some collage of images that depict distinct words you can decipher if you analyze it hard enough. Like Victorian flower language, which, incidentally, no one ever actually used. In fact that's a great example because on girlier parts of the internet you can find fans reading entire sentences into bouquets incidental to scenes in Harry Potter and Doctor Who or whatever, when the actual concerns of someone arranging flowers for set dressing are "does this look good, does this suit the visual story being told (i.e. are the flowers underlining a character's perspective or ironically contrasting it, etc.), does this make sense to be here."

T&L's Mad Style posts are very compelling to read, and I do enjoy them, but they invoke an authority on Mad Men storytelling that I don't think they've earned. They would have you believe a costumer's work is reducing a character's personality and emotional state to a few keywords and then using clothes to communicate those specific words like semaphore flags. I think the real process of a costumer, like any visual artist, has much more to do with color theory, composition, and fuzzy-boundaried allusion, the evocation of emotion without literal codes being tapped out.

TLo went nuts over blue and green last season, but I don't think they ever sat down and thought through the color choice the way Bryant must have. The script she's working with has a lot of scenes with three people, where two are allied/aligned/connected in some way and one's the odd one out. Analagous colors make sense to bind the two together, which could be orange and yellow, red and purple -- but many of the characters she'll be making this visual point with are men, and menswear has a much more limited palette. You can always count on men to wear blue though, so blue and purple? Nah. Sometimes the script allies two men and purple's pretty rare to be the dominant color in a man's outfit in the 60s. Blue and green then!

It's simple, easy, and effective, but instead the internet went off the deep end about "blue = sadness" and "green = envy" and TLo kept insisting the blue-green color combo meant a very specific (and ever-changing) word instead of "these two characters are alike, this one over here in not-blue-or-green is not."

Please don't take the essay I just wrote in response to your short and true post as any kind of slight at you for liking TLo and Mad Style. I scamper over to their website on Wednesday mornings as fast as anyone, but as someone trained in critical analysis of this kind, the authoritative tone they effect about things they're pulling out of their asses bugs me a little is all.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Naw, you're right, they do sometimes go off the deep end with the color stuff, but I've learned to take that with a grain of salt.

The main things I look for in T&O are their perceptions in stuff like Don's type of woman, or just the historical insight into some of the clothes of the period (even if it's just a simple "yeah my mom wore that dress when I was a kid").

It's definitely a good take on the show that nobody else does.

Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.
I miss Bob Benson.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Hitting the nail on the head

I went from reading your post about their over-analysis of the significance of clothing to reading their recap, where they're trying to unravel the implications of both Lou and Ginsberg wearing sweaters...

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Don't hate on them just because you don't understand the symbolism behind the sweaters

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Don's hand tremor wasn't connect to alcohol, it was a stress related thing.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Has this been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpkEehUd88

Pete "The Soup Man" Campbell

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Rodger is going to die this season of a massive heart attack high on lsd, shrooms, and enough vodka to drown a buffalo, while banging like 20 young hippie chicks.

It will be glorious.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chobdab posted:

I miss Bob Benson.

Same here dude. If that story-line doesn't get resolution then I'll be really pissed off.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

sector_corrector posted:

Same here dude. If that story-line doesn't get resolution then I'll be really pissed off.

Take 'er easy, bud, we've only seen one episode! There are still several characters that will undoubtedly make an appearance in the next episode or two.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

timp posted:

Take 'er easy, bud, we've only seen one episode! There are still several characters that will undoubtedly make an appearance in the next episode or two.

*throws a dart at a well perforated picture of matthew weiner*

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

That DICK! posted:

Has this been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpkEehUd88

Pete "The Soup Man" Campbell

Well that got me caught goofing off at work. "Kraft mutha-fuckin mayonaise!"

Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.
I'm not sure if it was brought up last season but I was rewatching the end of s6 and I had missed one scene where Bob was screaming into the phone about Campbell to Manolo. He said something like "I don't care how nice she is this guy is trying to ruin my career!" or something to that effect.

It was obviously assumed that Bob had something to do with the mother's death but that one scene makes it obvious that he was pushing Manolo to kill her to get back at Campbell. Pete and his brother however give no shits so that plan wasn't thought out all that well.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Whatever his plan was and whatever he told Manolo, Bob got the most important account the agency has and sent Pete packing to the other side of the country. I'd say it worked out pretty well for him.

I hope this season doesn't spend too much time on Bob. It's a bit late in the game to introduce new characters, and he's no Lane Pryce.

Ekkerates
Sep 26, 2013
I always interpreted that Bob phonecall as him trying to get Manolo to leave Campbell's mother alone because Campbell has serious pull on his career. Not as some mad scheme to rob and murder her, that seems more like the grasping opportunism of a fake lothario like Manolo, than the calculated people pleasing and influence gathering of Bob Benson.

Ekkerates fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 19, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Bob is Charles Manolo's Tex Watson and their cult recruits rich old ladies instead of young hippies. Meg's gonna get caught in the crossfire when they're targeting Pete out West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Manolo, that Spanish fly.

• Locked thread