Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tars Tarkas posted:

He's just a shrimp predator

The article posted in the Comic Book movie thread pointed out that the lawyer who represents the victim also represented the people who accused Kevin Clash of a similar crime, and I don't think anything ever came of that, because I think it was later proven to have been consensual/after 18 when the sex happened.

I could be horribly wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Sheldrake posted:

Now just waiting for a few nerds to get angry that Brett Ratner isn't a sexual predator.

Well, he is, he just does it to adult women instead of underage boys.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

It's incredible. In Miami Connection's universe, this is their Miami Connection.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mr. stefan posted:

First Elmo, now Singer?

The Day After Tomorrow one is especially hilarious because it completely fails to note that many of the people who were willing to see a climate change disaster movie were probably already concerned with the idea.

I thought elmo's actor did like a 17 year old, not 8 year olds? Didn't really pay attention though, for obvious reasons :stonk:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Knowing Hollywood, if this story has legs, and he turns out to go to trial and be convicted, they'll probably throw a gala ball for him and award him some sort of Roman Polanski-esque film honors.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Gonz posted:

Knowing Hollywood, if this story has legs, and he turns out to go to trial and be convicted, they'll probably throw a gala ball for him and award him some sort of Roman Polanski-esque film honors.

Has any of Singer's work really been molestation-eclipsingly good?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Woody Allen really raised the bar on that one.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Literally The Worst posted:

What the hell, first print run? I know they rereleased it at one point.

They rereleased it on CD around the time they did the first and only vinyl pressing (of 300). They've gone on record saying they don't like the album and never want to see it pressed on vinyl again. Every time one pops up on ebay it sells for more than the last.

Now if I could find a copy of Friday Night Lights for a non-absurd amount of money I'd have a complete EITS collection. Of course, How Strange and FNL are the only ones that aren't constantly in print. FNL tends to go for $100~ so gently caress that poo poo.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Beyond sane knolls posted:

The fact such a thing exists makes me so sad. They can make good films sure, death of the author and all that, but gently caress the actual person doing the molesting can gently caress off and die.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know know how many people watch Arrow, but Summer Glau has now been a super-human/terminator in 3 different television shows.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Bryan Singer being into questionably young gays has been a rumor for a long time.

Didn't Chris McQuarrie drop a reference to it in The Way of the Gun?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Didn't Chris McQuarrie drop a reference to it in The Way of the Gun?

Ryan Phillipe has a long monologue about a lawyer getting him out of jail in exchange for killing a dude who raped the lawyer's son, but beyond that I'd need some specifics

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Ryan Phillipe has a long monologue about a lawyer getting him out of jail in exchange for killing a dude who raped the lawyer's son, but beyond that I'd need some specifics

IIRC in one scene when Phillipe and Del Toro are driving you can hear a report on the radio about a director named Singer having sex with underage boys.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Goddamn it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Goddamn it.

Pedos give gays a bad name, it sucks. :(

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
It's not so much the age that makes the story awful, but the full blown rape. Any adult being into 17 year olds is creepy and gross, but in a lot of places it's legal, so whatever. The rape at gunpoint however...

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Kramjacks posted:

Well they were only away from the car for like, 1 minute, so it was probably just an assumption that things were they way they left them.

A couple years ago I read a pretty depressing report on kids being left in cars because the parents forgot them in there, and the conclusion was that if you can forget something like your backpack in your car, you can forget your kid.

This? Click only if you want to be really bummed out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mr. stefan posted:

No offense dude, but its a loving biopic, it was never going to be a spoiler within the context of the movie.

Fair enough. I probably overreacted, but I do like knowing as little as possible going in. In this case spoilers were probably unreasonable.

Noxville, is it ok if I change it to a picture of Kevin Spacey with text reading I am Keyser Soze?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Death Wish is the best movie about why poors and blacks should be gunned down in the street ever.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

therattle posted:

Spoiler that, fuckwad. Jesus.

I'm gonna back you up on this, sans fuckwad. Every synopsis I've read just says it's biographical about an airplane designer. Good on you if you already knew exactly who Jiro Horikoshi was, but most people don't.

Ew.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rape isn't cool. I guess X:Men: Apocalypse or whatever they will call it will have a new director.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm taking a break now, but I got a job as an overnight baker at a large grocery store, which sounded awesome, but my brain is having a visceral negative reaction to being here, and there is no way I will be coming back for another shift. I hate that I don't like it, because I thought baking was something I enjoyed, but now I'm not sure. Luckily, I already have one awesome job that I wouldn't give up for the world , otherwise I'd have to just keep going until I found something better.

I think it's the size. In a huge gently caress-off store like this, it's completely impersonal, and I just can't do that. I like working places where I know the manager and everyone working and I can jump in and do other things if necessary , like my current awesome job. This just feels like I'm stumbling through and have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing.

edit: I will be keeping this bitchin' hat though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ever thought of starting your own bakery?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

bowmore posted:

Rape isn't cool. I guess X:Men: Apocalypse or whatever they will call it will have a new director.

Please hire Bill Condon, Fox. I want to see something like the ending 'battle' of Breaking Dawn Part 2 again.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bowmore posted:

Ever thought of starting your own bakery?

Every day, man. I actually have a stage tomorrow at a smaller bakery that seems like it would be much less stressful. I'd like to think that at some point I will open a food joint of some sort, just because of how much I love to cook and bake when I have fun, and the sense of community that the best eateries have. I'm still in the process of figuring out exactly what I want to do with my life, and that is still on the table. Right along with politician, television writer, and Huntington's Disease spokesperson.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Yoshifan823 posted:

I think it's the size. In a huge gently caress-off store like this, it's completely impersonal, and I just can't do that. I like working places where I know the manager and everyone working and I can jump in and do other things if necessary , like my current awesome job. This just feels like I'm stumbling through and have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing.

edit: I will be keeping this bitchin' hat though.

I worked at Subway for a day in college. As soon as they explained that I was only allowed to put so many pieces of cheese on a six inch, I knew I was done.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The worst part is that in the back of my mind, I knew this was gonna happen. In my interview they asked if I had any potential concerns about working here, and I said exactly what would happen. It's like the Month I worked at Wal-Mart, except slightly less awful by virtue of not being walmart. As it stands now, Blockbuster ranks in the upper half of jobs I've had, and that's kinda sad. Though not unsurprising, consisting the perks, and how little work I actually had to do. Clearly this means I should only work places where movies are involved, because that's where I've been happiest.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Blockbuster would have been my dream job, but sadly by the time I turned 16 they were all but extinct.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

Blockbuster would have been my dream job, but sadly by the time I turned 16 they were all but extinct.

Blockbuster had some huge plusses and some huge minuses. The huge plusses included a vast majority of my coworkers being easy to get along with, a particularly awesome manager, free movie rentals, big discounts on used movies, that one time I bought like, 70 BluRays for a dollar a piece, the low level of work, scheduling bending to my whim, and just general ease of being there. Negatives included that rear end in a top hat Gary, a completely incompetent corporate structure, their infamous No Raises Ever policy, having to wear khakis and an ugly-rear end polo, and many others I can't quite remember. But it was a place that I was not annoyed that I had to go to, and I enjoyed myself when I was there. That's all I really ask for in a job. Nice people, fun work, and not a chore.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
YouTube (Short) of the Day: Office Blues (1930) with Ginger Rogers singing a couple of times about how badly she wants to sleep with her boss. The last gag is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVtULLtX6aU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The two big negatives when working for Blockbuster: the late-fees and the corporate structure.

Nobody liked the late fees (except corporate), only half the customers really understood it, and employees hated enforcing it. Nothing like dealing with some screaming mother because her kid checked out Madden 2003 and didn't return it until a week and a half after it was due.

Corporate just milked those fees for all they were worth. When I worked there (2000-2002), something like 40% of all the profits were from late fees. The whole company was just hooked on it and did nothing to reform it as competitors (re: Netflix) emerged to stab it in the heart.

Well, they did eventually do away with late fees but by then Netflix had thoroughly buried the company.

I did meet plenty of chill people who worked there too. My manager was a huge corporate shill though. Totally invested in the culture.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I've only worked one retail job (Best Buy) and I found the corporate culture to be unbearable. I hated trying to sell extended warranties, but that's what they really tried to push.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

cat doter posted:

The fact such a thing exists makes me so sad. They can make good films sure, death of the author and all that, but gently caress the actual person doing the molesting can gently caress off and die.

But of course there are a lot more factors than the quality of the scumbags' work. Like, Woody Allen is universally acclaimed by people who aren't comic nerds, but on top of that had to use lots of money and connections to cover up something no one actually pressed charges for. Singer's legal situation seems way worse and his reputation as an artist will be much less helpful. In other words, :byewhore:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Between blockbuster and best buy, any job where you have to wear a blue polo shirt seems like a living nightmare.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I've only worked one retail job (Best Buy) and I found the corporate culture to be unbearable. I hated trying to sell extended warranties, but that's what they really tried to push.

Whoever came up with the idea of having all retail jobs depend on selling the customer warranties, memberships, magazine subscriptions, etc. clearly hates both employees and customers.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Between blockbuster and best buy, any job where you have to wear a blue polo shirt seems like a living nightmare.
Also Walmart. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a person wear a blue polo shirt just to wear one. Somehow we already have this acculturated idea of "blue polo shirt = lovely job."

Maxwell Lord posted:

Whoever came up with the idea of having all retail jobs depend on selling the customer warranties, memberships, magazine subscriptions, etc. clearly hates both employees and customers.
I worked in a grocery store deli for two years. On the one hand, I didn't have to do that. But on the other, that job is where rapists and murderers go when they die.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I remember when Blockbuster had their big promotion of "NO MORE LATEFEES" which really just meant you could rent things for like a week longer, I always thought that was really strange.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can't really see how you can avoid developing an intense hatred for humanity while working in retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I wear a black polo half the time. It's pretty bad.

The days when I can find my purple tee with the store logo on it are pretty great though because I don't feel liek a retail shlub quite as badly.

• Locked thread