Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The Warszawa posted:

Are there any good things to put for interests? I feel like you can only lose, including by not having an interests section.

Sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Interests: Long walks at night; amateur taxidermy; Huey Lewis and the News

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

To be fair, powerlifting was first (I poo poo thee not)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Interests: rugby, crossfit, space barbies

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

The Warszawa posted:

Are there any good things to put for interests? I feel like you can only lose, including by not having an interests section.

Any of the holy trinity of boring loving professional hobbies: distance running, distance cycling, or triathlons (i.e. distance running, distance cycling, just add water).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Wait, I should put distance running on my resume??

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Sports, other outdoorsy stuff, some kind of literature, really anything that you can talk about for about a minute and makes you seem like an interesting, functioning human being.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I put computer programming. Guess it couldn't hurt for a patent prosecution job. v:shobon:v

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SlyFrog posted:

Any of the holy trinity of boring loving professional hobbies: distance running, distance cycling, or triathlons (i.e. distance running, distance cycling, just add water).

One of our med school deans had a story about this. He was interviewing a candidate for residency who had put marathons as an interest on his CV, but according to him "didn't exactly look like a marathon runner." When asked about it, the guy clarified that he liked watching marathons.

SlyFrog posted:

There's nothing wrong with any of these except triathlons.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Roger_Mudd posted:

To be fair, powerlifting was first (I poo poo thee not)

I have powerlifting as an interest on my resume haha. It led to some really cool conversations during OCI.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 16, 2014

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
My "Personal Interests and Achievements" section included:

Eagle Scout, Musical Theatre/Law Revue poo poo, and some puzzle contests I won in undergrad. I got asked about all of them at some point.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I put nothing. No one cares unless there is a gap. Then I talk about biking across the country and cars. You laugh, but my current supervisor was a pro race car driver (to lawyer, what the gently caress?), seemed to work.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007

Bro Enlai posted:

Interests: Long walks at night; amateur taxidermy; Huey Lewis and the News

Returning some video tapes.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Residency Evil posted:

One of our med school deans had a story about this. He was interviewing a candidate for residency who had put marathons as an interest on his CV, but according to him "didn't exactly look like a marathon runner." When asked about it, the guy clarified that he liked watching marathons.

There's nothing wrong with any of these except triathlons.

There's nothing wrong with them, other than them being the loving cult-like "outside interests" of every investment banker/attorney/account/other professional.

To me, it's just another example of the creepy straight-jacketing of personal interests in the professional world. Even outside interests have to fall into safe, limited parameters (and they must, coincidentally, somehow express in themselves that you are a competitive ueber-human). It sometimes feels like 95% of professional resumes/profiles I see has one of these as the outside interest.

Just once, I'd really like to see someone's outside interests read: "Veg out on the couch and chain watch Mad Men and Game of Thrones."

Yes, I am bitter about being a deadbeat without any "real" hobbies.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 16, 2014

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Interests: Dark Souls, Little Debbie Snacks, and receiving BJ's

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

woozle wuzzle posted:

Interests: Dark Souls, Little Debbie Snacks, and receiving BJ's

Jane, bury this clown's resume on the bottom of the rejection pile. I'm a Hostess man.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
My first appeal since my judge got moved to civil is from a sovereign citizen. I don't know what I did to deserve this stroke of luck.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

I've heard "something athletic, something artistic, something academic" as a formula. Seems to make sense in that you'll be likely to be able to connect on one of the three.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

A Game of Chess posted:

My first appeal since my judge got moved to civil is from a sovereign citizen. I don't know what I did to deserve this stroke of luck.

Is it this guy in his fine red suit? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YN3he6cHhM Because that'd be awesome.

From Meads v Meads, Justice Rooke's fine discussion of Sovereign Citizens: "The exotic nature of the Moorish Law movement and its claims warrant some comment,
as casual exposure to a Moorish Law litigant may lead an observer to suspect mental impairment or disorder"

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I tend to think that if we could get a sovereign citizen to sound off about tacos or suits that would be a best-case scenario for this thread.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Bushido Brown posted:

I've heard "something athletic, something artistic, something academic" as a formula. Seems to make sense in that you'll be likely to be able to connect on one of the three.

Yeah I accidentally follow this rule and it has worked except for for the inevitable A-Rod/A-Rod vs. Jeter debates that ensue.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah I accidentally follow this rule and it has worked except for for the inevitable A-Rod/A-Rod vs. Jeter debates that ensue.

We need to stand strong against those Jeter-loving bastards.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

mikeraskol posted:

It's all about Canó... gently caress the Mariners.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I agree with gently caress the Mariners, but only for offering a ludicrous 10 years. I'm glad the Yankees didn't do a contract that long, because we are seeing firsthand how bad long contracts to players on the wrong side of 30 are (Sabathia, Rodriguez, Teixeira).

Edit: Hey now I did not say the Ellsbury contract was good either! I was rending garments when I heard about that one.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 17, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Thank god they've got men with the spring of youth in their step like Jacoby Ellsubry.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Moorish law is an awesome offshoot of sovereign I didn't know about. Thanks thread!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

mikeraskol posted:

Apparently jeter sends a gift basket to every woman he sleeps with the next morning. You've got to respect that.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 17, 2014

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
That's old news, man.

yeah jeets

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alaemon posted:

I tend to think that if we could get a sovereign citizen to sound off about tacos or suits that would be a best-case scenario for this thread.

The prosecutor has buttoned the bottom button. Therefore, he has violated to Constitution of Fashion unless we're on a ship. If so, maritime law and no jurisdiction.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

The Warszawa posted:

Usually do this. Some firms make their attorneys list their own hobbies. One I saw had every lawyer list 'golf' which, thankfully, I play, and they have been letting women-folk on the courses for some time now.

Hi, my name's Liz. Do you need a token?

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Solid Lizzie posted:

Usually do this. Some firms make their attorneys list their own hobbies. One I saw had every lawyer list 'golf' which, thankfully, I play, and they have been letting women-folk on the courses for some time now.

Hi, my name's Liz. Do you need a token?

Please link to these this sounds hilarious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

The Warszawa posted:

That's old news, man.

yeah jeets

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Reported for doxxing.

(Kidding, I drive the majestic lower body of a horse, the noblest of animals.)

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 17, 2014

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
if I practiced I'd basically be forced to put down poker and that's one of those things that's 80% negative and 20% an actual plus when they find out you're good I guess? (thank God I don't have to care ugh)

also, in before Jeter's inevitable comeback three years from now once he realizes he can't pull groupies at will in retirement because that only works for MJ

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

olylifter posted:

Is it this guy in his fine red suit? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YN3he6cHhM Because that'd be awesome.

From Meads v Meads, Justice Rooke's fine discussion of Sovereign Citizens: "The exotic nature of the Moorish Law movement and its claims warrant some comment,
as casual exposure to a Moorish Law litigant may lead an observer to suspect mental impairment or disorder"

Sadly, the appellant is not so sharply dressed.

I hadn't heard of Moorish Law before yesterday either, but I did come across it while writing a little memo so my boss knows what we're dealing with. People never cease to amaze...

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

nm posted:

The prosecutor has buttoned the bottom button. Therefore, he has violated to Constitution of Fashion unless we're on a ship. If so, maritime law and no jurisdiction.
An offense worthy of being held in contempt.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Moopish law

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I love seeing Moorish guys show up en masse in court just because of their insistence in wearing their dorky "religious" fezes in front of the judge.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I love seeing Moorish guys show up en masse in court just because of their insistence in wearing their dorky "religious" fezes in front of the judge.

Wait is Moorish law different than sovereign citizens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Wait is Moorish law different than sovereign citizens?

It's a different flavor of the same bullshit.