Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't say I'm down on him. He's great at what he does, and for his age, that's really impressive. I just think Foles and Luck are more likely to turn into those can't miss Rodgers/Brees/Manning types as they get older. Wilson runs more of an Alex Smith style offense, minus the whole 8 year learning curve thing. But that's sort of how Tom Brady played in his first couple years (minus the opening plays with his legs part), so there's really no capping his ceiling due to the scheme he fits. He's got room to grow into the kind of guy who can funsling it and rack some points up on his own without leaning so heavily on field position and his defense, but he's still got to do it. Really impressive how he just stepped in and had the decision making ability of a long time veteran though. He'd already be a huge upgrade for a lot of teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

John Brown posted:

Why are you guys so down on Wilson? If he had a slightly better oline and someone to throw to he's be putting up +30TDs.

Speaking of which, are the hawks gonna draft a WR?

I don't see that at all. He's a good scrambler, he can keep plays alive, but Russell Wilson gets an awful lot of credit for being the QB of an extremely successful, run-first offense.

He's not Drew Brees. I'm not saying he won't become Drew Brees-lite, but as of right now, his SB ring is a Dilfer.

I agree with this for the most part. Wilson, currently, is more of a "steady", "reliable", "consistent", "field general". But a super-accurate pocket passer who will "tear is up" once he's got a good o-line/WR's he is not.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 17, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He's got a beautiful deep ball and he scrambles a lot. He's definitely not a 30 TD kinda guy

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The Dilfer comparison is laughable, I think Alex Smith is a unfair too but closer to the truth. Isn't Wilson's deep ball supposed to be one of the better parts of his game?

Wilson isn't often asked to do a lot but he's (generally) been pretty ok to downright good at what they ask him to do, which is fine and I'm sure I'd love him if I were a Seattle fan. I think a lot of people remember some of his more awful games and think that's what he usually looks like when it's more the other way around.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

The Dilfer comparison is laughable, I think Alex Smith is a unfair too but closer to the truth. Isn't Wilson's deep ball supposed to be one of the better parts of his game?

Wilson isn't often asked to do a lot but he's (generally) been pretty ok to downright good at what they ask him to do, which is fine and I'm sure I'd love him if I were a Seattle fan. I think a lot of people remember some of his more awful games and think that's what he usually looks like when it's more the other way around.

I wouldn't compare him to Alex Smith. He's got the physical tools to be much better. He's just running an offense that relies on the kinds of traits that Alex Smith possesses. He does have a pretty deep ball, but he also struggles to move the ball at all fairly often, and then Lynch and the defense have to kind of step in to play field position with back and forth punts while the Seahawks inch closer to the red zone. That's not a huge deal because he's great at not turning it over, and he's still developing. I think it's more an issue where Luck is an unbelievable talent and he's so good at everything, and Foles just had the best season for a QB under 25 in history probably, and he didn't even play 16 games. It's hard for anyone to compete with that, even guys who seem poised to be long term top 10 qb's.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I wouldn't compare him to Alex Smith. He's got the physical tools to be much better. He's just running an offense that relies on the kinds of traits that Alex Smith possesses. He does have a pretty deep ball, but he also struggles to move the ball at all fairly often, and then Lynch and the defense have to kind of step in to play field position with back and forth punts while the Seahawks inch closer to the red zone. That's not a huge deal because he's great at not turning it over, and he's still developing. I think it's more an issue where Luck is an unbelievable talent and he's so good at everything, and Foles just had the best season for a QB under 25 in history probably, and he didn't even play 16 games. It's hard for anyone to compete with that, even guys who seem poised to be long term top 10 qb's.

Russel Wilson relies on his mobility and he spooks pretty easily. He still disappears for gameslong stretches and has a ton of statlines like 12/16. He's pretty good and doesn't screw up often so I'd be happy with that and a Superbowl for sure, it's just that there aren't many QB's in the NFL who couldn't have easily ridden to the Lombardi on the backs of that defense and Marshawn Lynch.

I think he's going to really develop this year if they address the O line and if Percy Harvin mercifully stays healthy.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I'm not comparing his physical traits, game, upside or talent to Dilfer; just that his path to a Lombardi was similar.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He's got a beautiful deep ball and he scrambles a lot. He's definitely not a 30 TD kinda guy

He's thrown 26 in back-to-back seasons with a pretty inconsistent receiver rotation and ranking in the 30s for team pass attempts. It's hardly a stretch to think of him of putting up 30 TDs in the air alone (since he did score 30 total TDs in 2012).

I still don't wouldn't take him over RGIII, though, especially on the basis is on Wilson having a ring.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
We've cracked the code. Overthrowing your receivers on deep routes means you're unlikely to get intercepted.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I might argue that Baltimore won their first in spite of Dilfer where I don't think you can say Wilson was actively hurting them. But really attaching Dilfer's name to a quarterback seems like an insult, I'd call Wilson's ring more of an...I don't know, Phil Simms. Or maybe Brad Johnson.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I give more credit to the Seahawk receivers more than most it appears. Who knows.

Wilson is good though. I'd take him first outta that division without hesitation

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
According to the Baltimore Sun, there are 6 teams (openly) showing interest in Michael Sam: Baltimore Ravens, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and Indianapolis Colts.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Atticus Finch posted:

According to the Baltimore Sun, there are 6 teams (openly) showing interest in Michael Sam: Baltimore Ravens, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and Indianapolis Colts.

Well at least they're in the open about it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I give more credit to the Seahawk receivers more than most it appears. Who knows.

Wilson is good though. I'd take him first outta that division without hesitation

Kaepenick had no one to throw to all year besides Boldin and he did alright. I'd probably take him over Wilson.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Well at least they're in the open about it.

The Falcons need a versatile player, who can play DE and LB, that can plug up the holes.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Kaepenick had no one to throw to all year besides Boldin and he did alright. I'd probably take him over Wilson.

And Vernon Davis... who is amazing and completely underutilized in that offense. Boldin has defined himself as a crafty, boxing WR who can fight for possessions and get you solid yardage.

Saying something like... "he had no one to throw to but Boldin" is like saying he needed to gut a fish, but all he had was a Katana... sure it's not the tool you'd want to use, but it will get the job done, man.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He did really good at times, but when he sucked, goddamn. He was worse this year at his worst than last season. I don't know that I can think of many other QB's who were such a coin toss at getting a 100 QB rating or sub 50.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

He did really good at times, but when he sucked, goddamn. He was worse this year at his worst than last season. I don't know that I can think of many other QB's who were such a coin toss at getting a 100 QB rating or sub 50.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

everyone loves Rex.

I was gonna say McNabb in 2007.

60.7, 74.5, 158.3, 61.0, 85.2, 91.1, 103.1, 64.0, 138.5, 0.4, 93.6, 78.1, 119.1, 94.1

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Volkerball posted:

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Chilichimp posted:

We've cracked the code. Overthrowing your receivers on deep routes means you're unlikely to get intercepted.

This is called "The Matt Stafford stratagem ™©".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

And Vernon Davis... who is amazing and completely underutilized in that offense. Boldin has defined himself as a crafty, boxing WR who can fight for possessions and get you solid yardage.

Saying something like... "he had no one to throw to but Boldin" is like saying he needed to gut a fish, but all he had was a Katana... sure it's not the tool you'd want to use, but it will get the job done, man.

Vernon Davis was mildly concussed all year and Kaep did alright for starting with half a year's experience. Some 9ers poster here did a really detailed effort post about how badly designed their passing game was so I'm more inclined to give him a pass for this year

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kiper's 4.0 2 round draft.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/mock/?season=2014&source=mel-kiper-mock-draft&version=4

quote:

Round 1
1. HOU Jadeveon Clowney
2. STL Greg Robinson
3. JAX Sammy Watkins
4. CLE Johnny Manziel
5. OAK Khalil Mack
6. ATL Taylor Lewan
7. TB Mike Evans
8. MIN Blake Bortles
9. BUF Jake Matthews
10. DET Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
11. TEN Justin Gilbert
12. NYG Eric Ebron
13. STL Darqueze Dennard
14. CHI Aaron Donald
15. PIT Odell Beckham Jr.
16. DAL Zack Martin
17. BAL Calvin Pryor
18. NYJ Brandin Cooks
19. MIA C.J. Mosley
20. ARI Derek Carr
21. GB Ryan Shazier
22. PHI Kelvin Benjamin
23. KC Marqise Lee
24. CIN Bradley Roby
25. SD Anthony Barr
26. CLE Kyle Fuller
27. NO Cody Latimer
28. CAR Morgan Moses
29. NE Ra'Shede Hageman
30. SF Jordan Matthews
31. DEN Jason Verrett
32. SEA Stephon Tuitt

Round 2
33. HOU Teddy Bridgewater
34. WAS Chris Borland
35. CLE Davante Adams
36. OAK Timmy Jernigan
37. ATL Dee Ford
38. TB Gabe Jackson
39. JAX Jimmy Garoppolo
40. MIN Kyle Van Noy
41. BUF Demarcus Lawrence
42. TEN Zach Mettenberger
43. NYG Xavier Su'a-Filo
44. STL Jimmie Ward
45. DET Stanley Jean-Baptiste
46. PIT Louis Nix III
47. DAL Deone Bucannon
48. BAL Bruce Ellington
49. NYJ Austin Seferian-Jenkins
50. MIA Joel Bitonio
51. CHI Lamarcus Joyner
52. ARI Jeremiah Attaochu
53. GB Jace Amaro
54. PHI Pierre Desir
55. CIN Cyrus Kouandjio
56. SF Phillip Gaines
57. SD Donte Moncrief
58. NO Keith McGill
59. IND Jarvis Landry
60. CAR Josh Huff
61. SF Marcus Martin
62. NE Carlos Hyde
63. DEN David Yankey
64. SEA Ja'Wuan James

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Tell me more about how the Falcons are drafting a guy with character issues. :allears:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kiper is a smart man and the draft will happen EXACTLY like he says.

Clowney + Bridgewater!

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

please let the browns draft manziel

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

10/10 would draft again

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
It amazes me how all over the place Teddy can land. Is that just to create clicks or are they really that unsure?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's unsure at this point because there's mixed feelings about his pro day and his potential. I think pundits are slowly starting to realize (read: actually look at tape) that Bridgewater isn't a 'black' QB and are slotting him all over the place because his arm wasn't super impressive. Obviously I don't know what NFL front offices are thinking but I'd still go with Teddy over any QB in the draft and pick him in the top 5.

Teddy displays superb field awareness, an amazing ability to shift inside the pocket that isn't really common in soon to be rookies, great touch, a good to great arm, and was asked to do a lot of pre-snap reads at Louisville. His balls are a little wobbly on intermediate throws but that can be fixed.

Also if one more person slots Ebron to us I'm going to complain about it more on an internet message board.

jbetten
Dec 30, 2009
QBs fall in the draft all the time. It really is a crapshoot where he'll end up.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

That would be kind of a nightmare first round scenario for the Lions, although they'd be getting the best name in the draft.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ozu posted:

Kiper's 4.0 2 round draft.

If Atlanta goes Lewan with the 6th pick, I'm going to murder someone and it may be myself. This is pretty much the worst case scenario for Atlanta, and would hope they would try to trade back.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yes we are drafting a linebacker in the first when we should cut wheeler and move dion Jordan to olb and Misi to inside

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be happy with Cooks and ASJ for the first two rounds.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ok I don't have a problem with OT Martin in the 1st though it's not my first choice (Free was actually decent last season!), but then reaching on S Bucannon in the 2nd and not addressing the DL at all in the first two rounds? gently caress that noise

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wait I used logic and forethought when considering Miamis pick poo poo I don't know my team at all. They'll pick Lee

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Kiper definitely nailed the Browns' three biggest needs and if Watkins is off the board at #4 there's a very good chance he got the order correct in which the Browns would address them. Not sure about the specific players though

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

JFF falls to #23, we trade Chase Daniel for a gift card to Denny's and draft our WR2 in the third.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The Browns are going to be such a good team after the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

No Butt Stuff posted:

JFF falls to #23, we trade Chase Daniel for a gift card to Denny's and draft our WR2 in the third.

Do Not trade Chase Daniel

• Locked thread