Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toady
Jan 12, 2009

sassassin posted:

'It was in the book' is a terrible justification for something to be in a movie.

They're the only parts of the new films with any characterisation, development or tension so the whole project is a bit of a waste, really.

Why focus on the beloved Englishman's tale of the book when there's Tauriel the elf in a love triangle whose parents were killed by orcs and she was raised by the dad of Legolas and fights beside him and can cure poison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Toady posted:

Why focus on the beloved Englishman's tale of the book when there's Tauriel the elf in a love triangle whose parents were killed by orcs and she was raised by the dad of Legolas and fights beside him and can cure the hottest dwarf from poison
FTFY

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Hobbit: There and Back Again may become The Hobbit: Into the Fire?

hmmm

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Yuck.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I doubt it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I honestly don't really care at this point. It's not like the trilogy has some kind of perfect track record going that I'm on tenterhooks to make sure they don't screw up.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

It's all part of the bloat; they've decided to pad/stretch things for even more movies. Part 3 will be Into The Fire, part 4 will be After The Fire (resurrecting the Falco cover "Der Kommissar" for the soundtrack), Part 5 will be The Battle of Five Armies, and Part 6 will be There And Back Again. The idea is that by the end of the last installment, Martin Freeman (and all of us) will then be as old as Ian Holm to better segue into LOTR.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Sir Nose posted:

It's all part of the bloat; they've decided to pad/stretch things for even more movies. Part 3 will be Into The Fire, part 4 will be After The Fire (resurrecting the Falco cover "Der Kommissar" for the soundtrack), Part 5 will be The Battle of Five Armies, and Part 6 will be There And Back Again. The idea is that by the end of the last installment, Martin Freeman (and all of us) will then be as old as Ian Holm to better segue into LOTR.

Part 6: There
Part 7: Back Again

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This video might have been good for a giggle if it wasn't for the fact that every single one of these points was brought up at some point in this thread. But I still find it funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03LhYBNLXWo

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

eeeuuugh, I only watched this a couple of weeks ago and although I noticed that the max-CGI scenes were pretty terrible, rewatching them here they are just awful. Those scenes with Bolg or the Barrels look like cutscenes from a game. Something about the rendering and camera movements just isn't movie-like I guess :shrug:

I think that really kind of represents what I thought about the movie. It was like a game; complete with boring exposition sequences, stung together between action sequences which were ticked off like a checklist, topped off with poor visuals.

I thought the same about first movie; the scenes with Bilbo, his interactions with the ring, and bilbo's encounter with the "antagonist" (gollum/smaug) were pretty excellent. Everything else was just boring. Deeply disappointed.

twoot fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 19, 2014

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

"It always is" *sighs*"...loving prophecies man" :lol::lol:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This video might have been good for a giggle if it wasn't for the fact that every single one of these points was brought up at some point in this thread. But I still find it funny.

Nah because Cinema Sins is terrible, wanky, and pedantic.

(I'd say that was a match made in heaven for CD but that would be mean.)

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 19, 2014

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Szmitten posted:

Nah because Cinema Sins is terrible, wanky, and pedantic.

(I'd say that was a match made in heaven for CD but that would be mean.)

The guy from CinemaSins sounds like he should be wearing a fedora and posting on r/atheism at all times.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

God the CG Bolg looks loving awful. I know the original makeup tests for the practical effects version was a little over the top, but that's just... insipid. E: seriously, that vid makes me super-glad I didn't see it, and glad I didn't cave and pick up the DVD.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 19, 2014

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder what a single-movie Hobbit would look like. What chapters and characters would be cut? Purists would be pissed no matter what was left out, but the more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that this really should have been just one film. I hate to say it, but we probably don't need all 13 dwarves, Beorn, etc. Maybe just Thorin, Balin, Kili, Fili, and a couple others (and maybe make one or more of them female). As for chapters, it's easy to leave out Beorn, but apart from that, it gets trickier. I guess its a question of whether you want to have the Battle of Five Armies or not. If not, then gently caress it, have them go straight to Lake-town after the goblins, and have Smaug be the climax. Just spit-balling here. But whatever the case, I'd rather have an adaptation that works as a film and plays fast and loose with the material, than one that is slavishly devoted but sucks.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It would have probably been fine as two. One would make it far too rushed.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Blue Star posted:

I wonder what a single-movie Hobbit would look like. What chapters and characters would be cut? Purists would be pissed no matter what was left out, but the more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that this really should have been just one film. I hate to say it, but we probably don't need all 13 dwarves, Beorn, etc. Maybe just Thorin, Balin, Kili, Fili, and a couple others (and maybe make one or more of them female). As for chapters, it's easy to leave out Beorn, but apart from that, it gets trickier. I guess its a question of whether you want to have the Battle of Five Armies or not. If not, then gently caress it, have them go straight to Lake-town after the goblins, and have Smaug be the climax. Just spit-balling here. But whatever the case, I'd rather have an adaptation that works as a film and plays fast and loose with the material, than one that is slavishly devoted but sucks.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077687/

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I prefer the very short film version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

Kangra fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 20, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No no, Gene Deitch did the canonical rendition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBnVL1Y2src

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Funnily enough that movie is 90 minutes long and still more true to the source material.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

I love the Deitch version. Bilbo marries the princess and lives happily ever after. Hey, Sackville-Bagginses, you can have the hole, see if I give a poo poo. Yrs sincerely, King Bilbo the :smug:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Data Graham posted:

This is loving bizarre.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Not only is covering it all in one movie entirely possible and practical, if I recall correctly the only major elements the Rankin and Bass adaptation leaves out are Beorn and some of the finer details re: the Arkenstone and the politics leading up to the Battle of Five Armies.

edit: And it still has time for songs!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not only is covering it all in one movie entirely possible and practical, if I recall correctly the only major elements the Rankin and Bass adaptation leaves out are Beorn and some of the finer details re: the Arkenstone and the politics leading up to the Battle of Five Armies.

That assumes the Rankin Bass adaptation is a good movie though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

computer parts posted:

That assumes the Rankin Bass adaptation is a good movie though.

It's an awesome children's movie, so yes, it is both a good movie and a pitch-perfect adaptation of The Hobbit.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

edit: And it still has time for songs!

If I remember correctly the Battle of the 5 Armies gets about a minute of air time and then Bombur tells Bilbo who died before dying himself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I remember correctly the Battle of the 5 Armies gets about a minute of air time and then Bombur tells Bilbo who died before dying himself.

Not seeing a problem here.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That sounds awesome, actually. The large scale battles are the worst part of all of the LotR movies.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Its a pretty loving rad kids movie, that's for sure.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm still holding out hope that PJ has one last moment of clarity and blueballs everyone by staying true to the book's coverage of the Battle of Five Armies.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sounds pretty faithful to the book then.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mr. stefan posted:

I'm still holding out hope that PJ has one last moment of clarity and blueballs everyone by staying true to the book's coverage of the Battle of Five Armies.

"What's that? Two solid hours of green screen CGI battles on a 50 square foot studio stage? Okay! :downs:"

I'd honestly be surprised by anything less.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

*Legolas does triple backflip, lands on bomburs head, shoots orc*

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Eastbound Spider posted:

*Legolas does triple backflip, lands on bomburs head, shoots orc, bombur farts*

Fixed. You were missing a crucial element.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Legolas surfs off of Smaugs neck with a majestic leap, landing into a Flintstones car and pedaling away

Also bombur nails lots of orcs while rolling down stairs

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Rankin-Bass adaptation. It manages to fit almost everything from the book and has good pacing. Has Peter Jackson ever mentioned it? That should've been his model for how to adapt The Hobbit into one film. It runs at 77 minutes long and, as someone already said, the only things it leaves out are Beorn and the Arkenstone subplot. Even if you stretch things out a bit, you can probably make a 2-hour movie. Remove half the dwarves and you'll also take care of the "too many drat dwarves, can't care about any of them" problem.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I don't get the eagerness to remove some of the dwarves. They could still be there and like the movies you don't have to develop them anyway.

Bilbo's house wouldn't be the same clusterfuck with five dwarves.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nor would the "arrive at someone's door one by one" running gag.

...Which they didn't really use in the movie, so never mind.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Which reminded me how much they mucked up the whole Beorn thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"What's that? Two solid hours of green screen CGI battles on a 50 square foot studio stage? Okay! :downs:"

I'd honestly be surprised by anything less.

Remember the flashback battle between the dwarves and orcs in AUJ? Remember when the dwarves charged the orcs? That was ENTIRELY CGI; it looked loving terrible. At least in LOTR they copy pasted real orcs actors/rohan horses, etc. from about 100 actors on the field to make it look like thousands. PJ is so lazy he can't even do that anymore.

• Locked thread