Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThermoPhysical posted:

The statement from Activision:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-release-for-amazing-spider-man-2-tbd/0131293

It looks like, for whatever reason, the Xbox One version of ASM 2 is effectively cancelled.

They probably got confused and developed it for the other Xbox One.

Hope the game's not poo poo, and that it's optimized decently enough for PC or that the Wii U port is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also, if your scenario was true, then the PS4 version would be cancelled right along with Xbox One. This is more on the fault of Microsoft rushing their own console rather than Activision rushing their own game.

You don't know that. Sure, the problem is exclusive to one console, but it could just as easily be an indicator that all versions of the game are rushed and hosed, just that that version is more hosed. Either way, the fact that Activision doesn't even care enough to get that version to a releaseable state doesn't spell well for their level of support for the process of developing of this game. Beenox could very well have known that it was never going to come out.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 17, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Everything about this game feels rushed to me, so they may have just decided they didn't have the resources to complete the XBone version in the end.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Especially considering it has the smallest install base by far.

Though I don't know how well Spider-Man games do outside NA.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

You don't know that. Sure, the problem is exclusive to one console, but it could just as easily be an indicator that all versions of the game are rushed and hosed, just that that version is more hosed. Either way, the fact that Activision doesn't even care enough to get the game to a releaseable state doesn't spell well for their level of support for the process of developing of this game, so Beenox could very well have known that it was never going to come out,

It doesn't make sense that all versions are broken if they're building off of ASM 1 and not working from the ground up. ASM 1 wasn't buggy, except for the PC which is usually always a buggy port.

Considering how bad most people have talked about both versions looking muddy and the last-gen version having low draw distance, they'd really have pointed out of it was a buggy, lovely mess.

It may not be completely Xbox One's fault, but if the SDK is as bad as claimed, then I'd say the chances are more likely that it's mostly the problem with the Xbox One and not the rest of the consoles.

We'll just have to see how it turns out in two weeks for the rest of the consoles.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

It doesn't make sense that all versions are broken if they're building off of ASM 1 and not working from the ground up. ASM 1 wasn't buggy, except for the PC which is usually always a buggy port.

Forget ASM 1 for a second. They have the engine, the base combat and a lot of the assets already, this is true, but if they didn't get the proper support from their publisher in terms of QA or optimization, the game could very well be broken. It's still a new game, development is more complicated than "oh, it's a sequel to a game that wasn't buggy, so it'll be fine" - Fallout 2 was suuuuuuper broken compared to the first game, and that was like 80% the same tech.

It's still only speculation, but a publisher just dropping a port like that so close to release doesn't usually happen unless something is very wrong, and although the other versions of the game are on track, I definitely think this is cause for concern.

Aphrodite posted:

Especially considering it has the smallest install base by far.

Though I don't know how well Spider-Man games do outside NA.

Oh, I'm sure a XBONE release would do better than the Wii U version at least. The Wii U version of Watch Dogs was recently delayed to "TBD" status as well, but even Ubisoft hasn't written that one off yet. Activision straight up going "ehhh, we don't know if it's ever going to come out" so close to release is reeeaally strange.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 17, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Forget ASM 1 for a second. They have the engine, the base combat and a lot of the assets already, this is true, but if they didn't get the proper support from their publisher in terms of QA or optimization, the game could very well be broken. It's still a new game, development is more complicated than "oh, it's a sequel to a game that wasn't buggy, so it'll be fine" - Fallout 2 was suuuuuuper broken compared to the first game, and that was like 80% the same tech.

It's still only speculation, but a publisher just dropping a port like that so close to release doesn't usually happen unless something is very wrong, and although the other versions of the game are on track, I definitely think this is cause for concern.

Hmm...you may be right. Also, since the game is hindering on Sony this time with their license, if the game is exceptionally bad, then Sony could just decide to not let Beenox use the licensing.

It looks like it's been indefinitely shelved too...which is also worrying.

EDIT: Also, I just realized that the ONLY screens we've seen are 360, PS4, and 3DS. Beenox has never mentioned One screens or ever talked about it in any way.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 17, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What I'm saying is that the Xbox SDK probably did have something to do with this, but a lot of other signs point to this game being a trainwreck.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

What I'm saying is that the Xbox SDK probably did have something to do with this, but a lot of other signs point to this game being a trainwreck.

The biggest thing is that Beenox most likely knew if they said nothing on the One version at all. People asked them questions about it but they skipped them.

To me, that's more worrying.

EDIT:
http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/17/the-amazing-spider-man-2-cancelled-on-xbox-one-4702057/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/04/17/report-amazing-spider-man-2-may-not-release-on-xbox-one.aspx

Activision is now saying they're working with Microsoft to get the game to launch on the One eventually.

quote:

An Activision representative has responded to our request for comment on the status of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 on Xbox One. "We are working with Microsoft in an effort to release The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game on Xbox One," we were told via email. "Currently, the game will be available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and the PC on April 29, 2014 as previously announced.”

Nothing about why this happened. So, it probably is the SDK but I'm not ok with Activision and Beenox right now considering this is still something they should've known by now and said something about a LONG time ago.

Also nothing from Beenox or Activision on their FB pages.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 17, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well, it is an Activision licensed IP game, for starters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Isn't this the first case of someone specically delaying the XBONE version of a game? I mean it's well-known that the SDK isn't as powerful, but I haven't heard anything about it being harder to work with, especially not for experienced developers like these. That's what's making me think it's a certification problem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's hard for me to believe that Activision would devote more resources to the Wii U version of a game than an X-Box version of a game even in the worst of circumstances.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, the game sucks on PS4 too.

http://myxboxlive.com/gaming/video-game-reviews/amazing-spiderman-2-review/

Found a reviewer who played the PS4 version.

He says it's pretty bad, maybe the worst Spider-Man game he's played. The graphics just aren't even "okay", the fights are jumbled, enemies react to hits that you didn't even aim at them, and the Hero vs Menace system can make the game impossible to play.

quote:

GRAPHICS
I mentioned the Arkham series as a comparison in regards to how the sound flows in the Amazing Spiderman 2. The graphics? Yeah, not so much. Remember how any of the Batman Arkham titles have buildings with window ledges, statues, tight ropes and other things with texture that really made you say “Wow, they did their homework on this game?” That is no where to be found in this version of Spidey. The buildings show absolutely no texture. They reminded me of when I was a kid and used to unfold a card board box in order to build a house then “drew” a door and windows on with a Sharpie marker. In fact, the Sharpie may have been more textured. I purposely web swung around for about an hour after seeing how bad they looked just to see if I could find a somewhat respectable looking building. I could not. Every one had window ledges that looked part of the building. They were flat, had no depth and quite frankly incredibly disappointing. If you didn’t tell me I was playing a PS4 version of the game, I would have guessed it was something straight off of the PS2 or original Xbox. I am not exaggerating. Being that you are in a city, there are few trees. When you get near the water or edge of the city in certain missions you find more of them. The tree trunks themselves have a little detail, yet the leaves and branches are depicted as one big piece. On a next generation game, you would expect to see the individual leaves blowing in the wind or the branches waving independently of each other, but that is not the case. I understand in games that many times certain little things are sacrificed in order to make more visible aspects that much better. Take the fish in Battlefield 4 for instance. DICE indicated that there were “dumb fish” that don’t react to human presence and swim away because the physics were needed for the building demolition. Who cares? No one cares about fish in Battlefield in that aspect. The Amazing Spiderman 2 takes this approach but instead of fish, Activision minimizes the graphics and gameplay in order to make more prominent the, well, I haven’t quite figured out what is prominently good in this game.

Maybe I’m spoiled with graphics after such incredible releases this past year. I don’t know. I don’t think we need amazing graphics in every game, but I do think there is a standard that needs to be set, ESPECIALLY when you are working with a next generation game. Spiderman himself is portrayed well. His features and muscular development are in good proportion while his movements look realistic and not robotic. The enemies are a different story. The npc’s located in the city along with the enemies you encounter in various pop up side missions appear very boxy. Their faces are round but lack detail. Their bodies are accurately proportioned but lack shading and depth. When you see an artist’s depiction of a hand, you expect to see the lineations for the knuckles, joints, nails etc. What we got from Activision, however, is just a flat depiction of a hand. No details. It was actually disappointing and the obvious lack of effort in the graphics and detail was frustrating.

GAMEPLAY
The gameplay was by far the worst part of The Amazing Spiderman 2. There was one good addition that Spidey purists will enjoy. In contrast to the last game where you can web anywhere up in the sky, we will need to attach our webs to a structure in order to swing in this version. Our left and right handed webs are now mapped to our left and right triggers in the game. It takes a few minutes to get used to after previous versions, but it does add to the realism which I can appreciate. Sadly, this is where it ends. Combat, by far, took the biggest hit in this installment. There is a marker that pops up indicating a landed strike on an enemy during combat. The irony, however, is that this pops up when you don’t actually land the strike. Enemies were reacting to hits I was not hitting them with. Their heads were snapping back, they were falling down and hitting the wall when I never touched them. It happened so often it was almost comical as nearly one in four strikes didn’t land. One side mission I performed was rescuing a young man from being robbed by five baddies in an alley. As you know, you can control the camera’s angle while in combat, which I do to gain an advantage. At one point, I had it set up so Spidey was on the left fighting the baddie on the right. I pulled off Spidey’s signature backward flip kick ala Guile from Street Fighter. Although I was far enough way where my legs completely missed the baddie, he still went flying backward into the wall. At this point, I was standing next to my buddy who let me play the copy and we both simultaneously just said “COME ON! SERIOUSLY!”

He said the sound is ok and the swinging is ok but that's about it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, wow, that just sounds like it's completely hosed. That can't be intentional. Maybe there'll be a day one patch, though if it's already in the hands of reviewers that's an especially bad sign.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, wow, that just sounds like it's completely hosed. That can't be intentional. Maybe there'll be a day one patch, though if it's already in the hands of reviewers that's an especially bad sign.

Yeah, they're definitely going to need a day-one patch if it's that bad. Beenox has been saying the game's gold for a while now and saying they're just making discs. Hopefully they'll patch the game though.

Hero vs Menace has always sounded like a hokey gimmick anyway. Never knew why it even needed to be there...or even be named in the first place. It stops you from enjoying free-roaming if you MUST go and deal with something immediately.

EDIT: Another theory...Beenox has stated many times the PS3 and 360 has been the target all along for the game. There's speculation that even the developer video on Playstation.com wasn't actually from the PS4.

What if Beenox put all of their effort into the last-gen versions and gave the current-gen to another part of their team (a sort of "B team"). This wouldn't excuse any errors in any version...but it would explain why the PS4 version is apparently crap and the One version is so bad they can't even release it.

EDIT: This isn't surprising, but when I asked Activision (who runs The Amazing Spider-Man Game on Facebook) about the review, they deleted my comment immediately.

EDIT 2: Activision has come forward on their Facebook...with the same statement they've told the media:

The Amazing Spider-Man Game posted:

We are working with Microsoft in an effort to release The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game on Xbox One. Currently, the game will be available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and the PC on April 29, 2014 as previously announced. When we have more information on the Xbox One release, we will let you know.

Also they blocked me from commenting on their account because I brought up the bad review. :v: Not surprised but yeah.

Still no word from Beenox on anything but, knowing them, they'll be around to repost what Activision said soon.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAmazingSpiderManGame/posts/477087759057590

EDIT 3: https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/457181395555594240

There's an ASM 2 bundle for PS3:

500GB PS3
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game
The Amazing Spider-MAn 1 on VUDU
$270 from Walmart

I've got a 80GB PS3, ASM 2 on preorder, and doing the Super Ticket for ASM 2 to get a copy of both ASM 1 and ASM 2 on VUDU.

I don't need this but eh, sounds like a good deal if you REALLY like Spider-Man.

Also, I put a link to that review up on Reddit. I don't think it's fair (but I'm not surprised they'd do it) that Activision removed my post simply asking about the review and if they were going to do patches. This game is $60 at its highest, $40 at its cheapest. Even if the reviewer is wrong, people have the right to know.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 18, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

That sucks about the PS4 version. I'm planning on Gameflying the PS3 version and hopefully it's halfway decent like ASM1 was.

ThermoPhysical posted:

the Hero vs Menace system can make the game impossible to play.

Can you elaborate on this? Is it basically the red/black suit system from Web of Shadows or something else?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

iastudent posted:

Can you elaborate on this? Is it basically the red/black suit system from Web of Shadows or something else?

Hero vs. Menace is the gimmick that Beenox came up with for ASM 2. Basically, you have the random crimes and you can chose to do them or ignore them for story or just swinging around. If you ignore them (or choose to do them but fail at it), you lose the trust of the public and J. Jonah Jameson will berate you on his radio show. If you let it get too bad, the SWAT teams will be sent out to shoot your weblines down when you're swinging low enough.

Problem looks like the game is ruthless when you fail or just decide to ignore it. It looks like it makes it harder to do the tasks if the police force is against you.

Also I found a video that's supposedly the PS3/360 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3bxz3XEZn8

This video is the same video as the GDC interview gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZhLA9UT_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=437-_Hy2YOY

Beenox told IGN's Greg Miller (and a few other websites) that the PS4/One version hadn't been shown to anyone up until the blog article on PlayStation.com debuting it. All gameplay videos, trailers, screenshots, and gameplay previews before March 27, 2014 are of the PS3/360 version.

However, despite the new video being uploaded on April 9, 2014, it's the exact same footage as the GDC interview. Thus, it's safe to assume that that's what the 360/PS3 version will look like.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on the awful graphics in that recent trailer (particularly of the city) this is not very surprising. I mean it's still a movie tie in game, and those have a really bad track record for the most part.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Based on the awful graphics in that recent trailer (particularly of the city) this is not very surprising. I mean it's still a movie tie in game, and those have a really bad track record for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_JJzq5BCqo

This is the PS4 version, which Greg Miller and the guy from the MyXboxLive.com interview have both stated is no better. :v:

Not surprised, they did port up after all. I think it's less that "it's a movie tie-in game" and more "Beenox ported up and forced the resolution and framerate to be higher than it should so it hosed the game up".

Fake Edit: Oh hey, Activision got that MyXboxLive review taken down.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

It seems like you chose a really predictably bad game to throw your full posting weight behind, ThermoPhysical.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

It seems like you chose a really predictably bad game to throw your full posting weight behind, ThermoPhysical.

Not really predictably considering Beenox has done decently in the past. But eh, if it's bad I'll just return it or cancel the preorder and no harm will have been done. :v: Wouldn't be the first time I didn't get a Spider-Man game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

Hey thanks to him I've canceled my pre order. I'm a big Spidey fan and liked ASM1. But this looks terrible and it convinced me to not let my love of Spidey blind me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hey thanks to him I've canceled my pre order. I'm a big Spidey fan and liked ASM1. But this looks terrible and it convinced me to not let my love of Spidey blind me.

I'm sorry that I killed your hopes? :v: I mean, I'd personally wait until actual reviews and not some forum posts from some guy who's planning on picking up the game anyway for the swinging. :P

Anyway, when you preorder at GameStop, you also have the chance to get 2 free tickets to the ASM 2 movie.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/buy-the-amazing-spider-man-2-at-gamestop-and-you-could-get-tickets-to-the-movie/1100-6419179/

It's first come, first served basis so you may want to come early.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Bringing it over from the animation thread:

muscles like this? posted:

Something that also didn't help was that there was supposed to be a videogame that covered the time gap between seasons [of Young Justice] except it only came out well after the show was canceled and apparently it was completely terrible.

As someone who found a copy of this last week: you don't even know. Also so far absolutely nothing of those between-seasons mysteries is coming up and it's all taking place like... two weeks after S1 ends, according to the beginning-of-stage timecodes it stole from the show.

I think I've said before I liked MUA2 most of that series, bugs aside, just because it removed a lot of the worst cruft from the games for me, but man. No matter my feelings on them, I will say this: Young Justice Legacy is 100% the worst MUA-clone I've ever seen. It's ugly as sin, collision detection is terrible, and as of "level" 10 or so I just learned that apparently there are hard to spot breakable walls leading to secret areas in a lot of stages. The single best tip I can give if one of you makes my mistake: just bring Miss Martian every chance you get. She can turn invincible, convert mooks to fight for you, and has an area-covering healing skill.

Also every boss fight is awful. Cheshire has an instakill with splash damage (you're going to wipe to it at least once, basically, before you know what it is), and Sportsmaster has infinite mooks and stunlocks you with ongoing damage. I am absolutely not looking forward to probably Killer Frost next, given that the stages leading to her have icicle deathtraps that'll just wreck you when you're walking with barely any warning.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/user/DesirableChris

ASM 2 has leaked for 360. Looks like its not too bad.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DesirableChris

ASM 2 has leaked for 360. Looks like its not too bad.

Okay, that is a loving hell of a scene to use your basic controls tutorial with.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Okay, that is a loving hell of a scene to use your basic controls tutorial with.

Does it spoil any part of the movie?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

It's Uncle Ben's death scene from the first film.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

So far it looks like it takes place during the first movie but i'm at the ten minutes of the first part, so who knows.

So far it looks about the same as ASM1, the webrush thing looks a bit tweaked but it's the sorta stuff that would be felt more than seen, so who knows if it's better.
The combo gauge is loving embarrassing, tho.

Huh, now that's cool, they changed up a bit on how to view all the comic collectibles you get in these games you go to a comic book store to read the comics or check the figures. The store's manned by Stan Lee and has Spider-man-related posters, like Scarlet Spider, Black Cat and an Alpha cutout

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 25, 2014

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've never even heard of that xbox review site until now. I'm gonna keep being cautious about the game because 1) who the gently caress even is that site 2) it's basing it off the 360 version which is probably the ugliest of the bunch

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yeah, I'm keeping cautious optimism. The Beenox games haven't been bad, but none has been worth full price to me. I'll just wait for Matt from two best friends play to get his copy and i'll eventually get the game depending on how good he says it is. (Like, if it's the best spider-man game ever then I'll wait for it to be 35ish, else i'll wait for 20~ bucks unless it's legit bad)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

One thing's for certain, that guy sucks at Spider-manning.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whoever wrote that xbox review making it out to be the worst spiderman game ever is definitely full of poo poo, the stuff in these videos makes it look quite fun. poo poo, I would have been happy with just an hd update to the spiderman 2 game so the graphics arent really that bad, I just wanna do superhero poo poo and have my swing mechanics feel good, from the videos on that guy's channel, looks like the game delivers on that well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a guy running around on Gamefaqs who keeps posting fake impressions for some reason.

Seems weird to have a grudge against a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's a guy running around on Gamefaqs who keeps posting fake impressions for some reason.

I would bet that he's an X-Box One owner. The console war is strong this gen.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

the game not coming out for xbone but still out for wiiu probably will get some mentally unstable people in a tizzy

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

I've never even heard of that xbox review site until now. I'm gonna keep being cautious about the game because 1) who the gently caress even is that site 2) it's basing it off the 360 version which is probably the ugliest of the bunch

The review was basing it off of the ps4 version but I agree that it looks a lot more fun than the review lets on.

Also, the game is actually built on the 360 and PS3, so if its bad on those, it'd be bad on the current gens.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Seems most in this thread seem relatively positive after watching that video. I can't be the only one who thought it looked like a cheap cash in?

I had to double check that it was the game based on Amazing Spiderman 2, as it looked like a game from 3-4 years ago or something. The graphics don't seem to have improved at all. The city just looks so dull (well, at night at least). I was bored of the combat by the second fight in that video. There's something always off in the combat of these spiderman games too. It seems like it's missing a lot of frames or something? Either way it looks clunky and not very smooth.

Does it get better after the first video? I couldn't even finish that one because I thought I had seen more than enough.

Ugh I don't know. I loved some of the older spiderman games for their time, but there doesn't really seem to be enough innovation in the newer games to keep them interesting anymore.

Edit: After reading my post again I sound a lot harsher than I mean to be. For reference, I really really want to have a good spiderman game. I just don't think this is going to be it.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 26, 2014

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Keeku posted:

Seems most in this thread seem relatively positive after watching that video. I can't be the only one who thought it looked like a cheap cash in?

I had to double check that it was the game based on Amazing Spiderman 2, as it looked like a game from 3-4 years ago or something. The graphics don't seem to have improved at all. The city just looks so dull (well, at night at least). I was bored of the combat by the second fight in that video. There's something always off in the combat of these spiderman games too. It seems like it's missing a lot of frames or something? Either way it looks clunky and not very smooth.

Does it get better after the first video? I couldn't even finish that one because I thought I had seen more than enough.

Ugh I don't know. I loved some of the older spiderman games for their time, but there doesn't really seem to be enough innovation in the newer games to keep them interesting anymore.

Edit: After reading my post again I sound a lot harsher than I mean to be. For reference, I really really want to have a good spiderman game. I just don't think this is going to be it.

The missing frames thing is usually in spiderman games, some bullshit probably about how fast he moves, it might be on purpose, who knows. I think the only good combat I liked was in maybe Web of Shadows, seemed more frenetic than just copying Arkham's combo system here.

When people say they want a "good" spiderman game, that usually amounts to "I want great swinging mechanics and the ability to fight random crimes" included. Anything else, story or gameplay wise, has been attempted by the other Beenox games which tried to do hordes of different things, but didn't give people the freeswinging openworld poo poo that everyone loved in SM2. I think the allure of Spiderman games really boils down to that *one* game where everyone just liked swinging around the city for hours; everyone knew the combat was easy as poo poo and relatively monotonous (besides piledriving guys off the empire state building, of course.)

SM2 was the same kind of "cheap cash in but with additional villains" and that's probably how it will always be---movie tie-ins for the near future, especially since 4 loving more spidermans are going to be filmed. This does at least seem like a good way to go forward, though--it's one step towards the swinging/crimebust stuff of the old games. It's just sad how the games will probably always be restricted to much of the movie plotlines and villains. The game could be 7/10 across the board but I still love exploring the city and webslinging around to collect poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

The missing frames thing is usually in spiderman games, some bullshit probably about how fast he moves, it might be on purpose, who knows. I think the only good combat I liked was in maybe Web of Shadows, seemed more frenetic than just copying Arkham's combo system here.

When people say they want a "good" spiderman game, that usually amounts to "I want great swinging mechanics and the ability to fight random crimes" included. Anything else, story or gameplay wise, has been attempted by the other Beenox games which tried to do hordes of different things, but didn't give people the freeswinging openworld poo poo that everyone loved in SM2. I think the allure of Spiderman games really boils down to that *one* game where everyone just liked swinging around the city for hours; everyone knew the combat was easy as poo poo and relatively monotonous (besides piledriving guys off the empire state building, of course.)

SM2 was the same kind of "cheap cash in but with additional villains" and that's probably how it will always be---movie tie-ins for the near future, especially since 4 loving more spidermans are going to be filmed. This does at least seem like a good way to go forward, though--it's one step towards the swinging/crimebust stuff of the old games. It's just sad how the games will probably always be restricted to much of the movie plotlines and villains. The game could be 7/10 across the board but I still love exploring the city and webslinging around to collect poo poo.

To be honest, SM2 both helped and ruined the Spider-Man game franchise.

Helped because it showed what you can do if you through a bit of time in crafting his swinging abilities. It shows that you can use physics and really give players a sense of how it feels to swing around a giant city.

Ruined because, since its creation, people have wanted NOTHING but "good swinging" and "free-roam" in every single Spider-Man game since. Freeroaming Spidey games usually have really poor story and combat is weird and unrealistic just so people can have that open world and swinging they crave so drat much.

I love they Spider-Man games and all but, quite honestly, I really loving despise SM2 for this reason. It's not a decent game, its not even a GOOD game, the swinging is "press button, aim with stick, time a bit, let go" over and over. There's no actual physics as he bounces all over the place like a ragdoll with no weight behind him. Still "hardcore fans" MUST have that or they refuse to buy the game.

Shattered Dimensions had a huge petition on HeroHQ from fans who swore not to buy it thanks to no freeroam. And most of them made good on that promise. Edge of Time wasn't even that bad but people mostly hated it because they either wanted a Spider-Man Noir game or they wanted free roaming.

I don't think anyone cares about a good story or combat in Spider-Man games anymore and that frustrates me. The fans getting what they want shouldn't always be top priority but eh, that makes money so...

• Locked thread