Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

I've beaten the game 4 or 5 times and never even SEEN the crystal device until now.

Part of the reason why the Crystal Cruiser quest is UTTER BULLSHIT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Tearing apart Rockmen with giant metal mandibles! I'm helping!

Don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but since the method of unlocking the Crystal ship was mentioned in the video I'll point out that unlocking it in Advanced Edition is far easier. Even if you don't go down the alternate unlock path and beat the flagship with A and B variants of every other ship, the Rock C starts with a Crystalman and a cloning bay, so you can skip the first two steps of the Crystal quest to get a Crystalman and just search for the crystal device in the Rock Homeworlds. Unlocking the Crystal ship now has roughly the same odds as any of the other random ship unlock quests in the game. Of course, to get the Rock C you first have to complete two of the achievements with the Rock A (hard) and get to Sector 8 with the Rock B (fairly easy). It helps that the Rock C is fairly powerful, it's probably my favourite ship.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?

Inadequately posted:

Don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but since the method of unlocking the Crystal ship was mentioned in the video I'll point out that unlocking it in Advanced Edition is far easier. Even if you don't go down the alternate unlock path and beat the flagship with A and B variants of every other ship, the Rock C starts with a Crystalman and a cloning bay, so you can skip the first two steps of the Crystal quest to get a Crystalman and just search for the crystal device in the Rock Homeworlds. Unlocking the Crystal ship now has roughly the same odds as any of the other random ship unlock quests in the game. Of course, to get the Rock C you first have to complete two of the achievements with the Rock A (hard) and get to Sector 8 with the Rock B (fairly easy). It helps that the Rock C is fairly powerful, it's probably my favourite ship.

I believe a previous (before Advanced Edition) update also made it so if you complete the first two parts of the quest you get a quest marker in the homeworlds, which makes it rather trivial to find (assuming of course, that you get to the rock homeworlds and even have it in your game). Of course, the first two steps are rather difficult to complete (easier with the rock ship because rock plating gives a blue option for the first part).

e: Voting for the next ship is now live. After we complete our Lanius A run I will take a short break, and then we will return with our new ship. As always, I will accept name suggestions as well, but ultimately the name choice will be up to me.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 17, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Momplestiltskin posted:

I believe a previous (before Advanced Edition) update also made it so if you complete the first two parts of the quest you get a quest marker in the homeworlds, which makes it rather trivial to find (assuming of course, that you get to the rock homeworlds and even have it in your game). Of course, the first two steps are rather difficult to complete (easier with the rock ship because rock plating gives a blue option for the first part).

e: Voting for the next ship is now live. After we complete our Lanius A run I will take a short break, and then we will return with our new ship. As always, I will accept name suggestions as well, but ultimately the name choice will be up to me.

That sounds a lot better. I've never been able to do both parts 1 and 2 in a single playthough, so I never even had the option of getting to part 3. That said, I'd still have to get a rock ship, which I've never had the chance to get either.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I too have found that dammed Pod so many times but never had part 2 proc, its gotta be the most annoying thing on earth to hang on to that thing till sector 7 and then just throw your arms up and flip the desk.

E: Vote for next ship Stealth A

Panboy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 17, 2014

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Voting for Stealth Cruiser Type B

Edit:

Call it the FSV Midway

I really like the look of the Stealth Cruiser

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 17, 2014

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Engi Type A because everybody says it's really good and I've always been awful with it.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Slug B because I'm a bad man.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Anything but Kestral A and Engi A/B, because those are the only ones I've ever seen.

Also, my pilot got phased out of existence. :psyduck:

e: Restarted. Second jump, one of my crewmembers are eaten by cannibals. gently caress. This. Game.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 17, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Since I've been talking it up I'll vote for the Rock C, which incidentally I don't think you give a fair shake in the OP. The weapons aren't all that terrible - the shield-piercing weapon deals with everything in the first couple of sectors handily, and the Swarm missile saves on missiles and remains a decent weapon right up to the endgame. It's got pretty much all the strengths of the Rock ships with none of the drawbacks. It also has a pretty interesting layout.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Inadequately posted:

Since I've been talking it up I'll vote for the Rock C, which incidentally I don't think you give a fair shake in the OP. The weapons aren't all that terrible - the shield-piercing weapon deals with everything in the first couple of sectors handily, and the Swarm missile saves on missiles and remains a decent weapon right up to the endgame. It's got pretty much all the strengths of the Rock ships with none of the drawbacks. It also has a pretty interesting layout.

The main reason I don't like the weapons is because the crystal weapon can be shot down by a defense drone mark I, unlike normal lasers, which just means another class of ships is out of reach for you. It also charges MUCH more slowly than a comparable weapon. I like to go for large numbers of the "weaker" weapons that charge quickly than the heavier slow charging weapons, for the most part. I'm not a huge fan of having to rely on missiles either, but that part is not so bad. It's more a matter of not fitting my playstyle than it is being a bad ship; basically it's just not my favorite.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Panboy posted:

I too have found that dammed Pod so many times but never had part 2 proc, its gotta be the most annoying thing on earth to hang on to that thing till sector 7 and then just throw your arms up and flip the desk.

E: Vote for next ship Stealth A

SgtSteel91 posted:

Voting for Stealth Cruiser Type B

Edit:

Call it the FSV Midway

I really like the look of the Stealth Cruiser

Stealth Ceeeeeeeeee

call it the WTF is this poo poo

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
VICTORY!

Albeit, it was on easy, but who cares! :dance:

e: Wait a sec, aren't you supposed to get a new ship type when you beat the boss?

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

VICTORY!

e: Wait a sec, aren't you supposed to get a new ship type when you beat the boss?

It depends. I have not actually used the new ship unlock mechanism since I already had all the ships (just not all the types) unlocked, but I'm pretty sure you have to first get 2/3 achievements to get type b, get to sector 8 with type b to get type c, then beat it with type c to get the next ship. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. Beating the game for the first time should also unlock the federation cruiser, but after that it is dependent on what ship you used to beat the game with. get the next ship in line after beating it, so if you win with the kestrel you should already have the engi A unlocked and will thus not unlock another ship.

Mazerunner posted:

Stealth Ceeeeeeeeee

call it the WTF is this poo poo

I do not have the stealth C unlocked. Unless we unlock the Lanius B ship this run (which we might), it and the stealth c are the only ones I don't have.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 17, 2014

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

VICTORY!

If you beat it with an A-type and (edit: whoops, my bad, it actually doesn't matter which layout you beat it with) haven't already unlocked the next ship in line through some other means! (In your case, this would be the Engi A, which... unlocks automatically from getting to Sector 5 with any of the Kestrels.)

Iny fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 17, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Engie A is one of the easiest ships to beat the game with. Do it.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Momplestiltskin posted:

It depends. I have not actually used the new ship unlock mechanism since I already had all the ships (just not all the types) unlocked, but I'm pretty sure you have to first get 2/3 achievements to get type b, get to sector 8 with type b to get type c, then beat it with type c to get the next ship. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. Beating the game for the first time should also unlock the federation cruiser, but after that it is dependent on what ship you used to beat the game with.

I'm afraid these things are all wrong except for how you unlock types B and C (and also "it is dependent on what ship you used to beat the game with").

You have to beat the game with Type A of (whoops this is wrong) any layout of one ship to get the Type A of the next ship.

You get the Federation A by beating the game with any layout of the previous ship (the Engi Cruiser), or by doing the unlock quest (which I won't spoil but involves the Rebel Stronghold sector).

Iny fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 17, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Stealth B, because that's a ship concept I really like but I always die horribly.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You can reach sector 8 with any type to unlock the next ship, need achievements for unlocking B, and need to beat the boss with B to unlock C. I highly suggest using Rock C to try to unlock the crystal ship, even though Rock C itself sucks horribly.

Also, regarding the FTL story, I just ran into a description of a Mantis bomber that points out that such ships were used in the Mantis invasion of Earth at some point.

edit: Beaten like a CQC Engi.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Iny posted:

I'm afraid these things are all wrong except for how you unlock types B and C (and also "it is dependent on what ship you used to beat the game with").

You have to beat the game with Type A of (whoops this is wrong) any layout of one ship to get the Type A of the next ship.

You get the Federation A by beating the game with any layout of the previous ship (the Engi Cruiser), or by doing the unlock quest (which I won't spoil but involves the Rebel Stronghold sector).

Oooh that is very interesting about the Federation cruiser. Before Advanced Edition it did not have any quest to speak of, and you unlocked it just by beating the game. Now it seems I have a ship unlock quest to check out next time I see a Rebel Stronghold!

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Momplestiltskin posted:

Oooh that is very interesting about the Federation cruiser. Before Advanced Edition it did not have any quest to speak of, and you unlocked it just by beating the game. Now it seems I have a ship unlock quest to check out next time I see a Rebel Stronghold!

It is the best ship unlock quest.

(More of a ship unlock event, really! It's just the one location.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Momplestiltskin posted:

Not gonna lie, it's a pretty awesome quest. And refreshingly free of bullshit RNG dependency chains.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

my dad posted:

You can reach sector 8 with any type to unlock the next ship, need achievements for unlocking B, and need to beat the boss with B to unlock C. I highly suggest using Rock C to try to unlock the crystal ship, even though Rock C itself sucks horribly.

(You've got "reach sector 8" and "beat the boss" transposed, here!)

quote:

Also, regarding the FTL story, I just ran into a description of a Mantis bomber that points out that such ships were used in the Mantis invasion of Earth at some point.

Ooh, neat.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

my dad posted:

Other way around. Reaching Sector 8 with type B unlocks type C (AND you have to have Advanced Content active), and you need to beat the Flagship to unlock the next ship.

EDIT: Beaten.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Iny posted:

If you beat it with an A-type and (edit: whoops, my bad, it actually doesn't matter which layout you beat it with) haven't already unlocked the next ship in line through some other means! (In your case, this would be the Engi A, which... unlocks automatically from getting to Sector 5 with any of the Kestrels.)

Oh come on...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Of course, once I get Rock Ship C with the crystal crewmember I immediately get the damaged pod/medlab/crystal spire :doh:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ViggyNash posted:

Oh come on...

At least Engi A is a good ship. Upgrade your shields to 2 pips ASAP. If the enemy can't penetrate your shield, and they only have 1 pip, put someone in the weapons room, autofire the ion at their oxygen (without activating the drone) and go make some coffee/tea/whatever. The enemy will suffocate in a few minutes, and you'll get the scrap bonus for keeping their ship intact. If you ever find a beam weapon, hold on to it, it's an amazing combo when paired with your ion. You should reach the boss in no time.

Iny posted:

(You've got "reach sector 8" and "beat the boss" transposed, here!)

:doh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
But I already had it, and type B. That's why I'm annoyed. Can't the game at least give me the ship after that?

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

But I already had it, and type B. That's why I'm annoyed. Can't the game at least give me the ship after that?

Never expect mercy from the FTL Gods, only hope for it. This is something I have learned in my time in this universe. You would not believe the amount of time I sunk into Rock B runs for the crystal quest before they made it easier (it's still really drat hard). It is just sinful and not something I'm even really proud of. Goddamn that crystal ship is so good though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

Alas, no. At least you aren't playing the original version where every single ship besides the Kestrel and the Engi and Federation cruisers had an unlock quest that you had to randomly stumble across if you wanted that ship! "Win the game with this ship and you unlock the next one" is practically merciful compared to the old way.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Engi B, because you're clearly not frustrated enough when you play this game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Alas, no. At least you aren't playing the original version where every single ship besides the Kestrel and the Engi and Federation cruisers had an unlock quest that you had to randomly stumble across if you wanted that ship! "Win the game with this ship and you unlock the next one" is practically merciful compared to the old way.

I think I played about 5 or 6 hours of the original but only ever got the Zoltan and Engi ships. I think the quests were easier to find in the original because I don't think I've found a single one in the new version.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Invenerable posted:

Yes. Yes... Yes...:unsmigghh:

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Invenerable posted:

Zebrin posted:

Yes. Yes... Yes...:unsmigghh:

Bring it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Stealth B, because I love the Glaive Beam.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Slug B

Your suffering needs to go up a level.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stealth B because gently caress drones forever

Or Mantis B and Hard.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Engi B because it's hilarious. After all, just look at this monster:

Then I got murdered by AI ships.

Correction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD7yC87xzPo&hd=1

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 18, 2014

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Corbeau posted:

Engi B because it's hilarious. After all, just look at this monster:

Then I got murdered by AI ships.

Correction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD7yC87xzPo&hd=1

That is legitimately awesome. Seriously, that song can be mixed with anything can't it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you're using crewmembers, you're not playing Engi B right. It's just one pissed robot against the whole universe.

• Locked thread