Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Gravelord covenant thing seems to be a joke on the internet, what's the real deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yes, and its fun as hell. Keep in mind that light sources other than your own don't function for you, so you can run around with the light spell or the chaos bug on your head and still be absolutely dark on the host's screen (outside the range of their own light, that is). The limited lock-on range applies as well, which means you can break line-of-sight and just disappear into the darkness whenever you please. There are tons of annoying enemies to lead invadees into. It's a really fun and dangerous place to fight in. Best of all, folks generally don't expect invaders there. You rarely run into gank squads and the like. Plenty of NG+ people, though, but they're rarely looking for a PVP fight so it's not like they're insurmountable.

Awesome. What SL did you generally invade there at?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Gravelord covenant thing seems to be a joke on the internet, what's the real deal?

So the problem with the Gravelords is that their special nonsense (creating extremely buffed black phantoms in other worlds) only works in NG+ and beyond. The additional problem is that the game is happy to waste your summons (you basically seed three worlds with black phantoms each time you use it) on non-NG+ games, meaning you may never get anything done with it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

So the problem with the Gravelords is that their special nonsense (creating extremely buffed black phantoms in other worlds) only works in NG+ and beyond. The additional problem is that the game is happy to waste your summons (you basically seed three worlds with black phantoms each time you use it) on non-NG+ games, meaning you may never get anything done with it.

So the real use for it is to get the mod to perma-gravelord yourself, and also run the aggression mod :getin:.

Immediately joining the covenant for the sword at the start of the game is a neat speedrun route, too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

HGH posted:

Yup. That's all there is to it. Absolutely nothing else there. And there still would have been nothing there if you had come earlier/first with the LordVessel since this place wasn't sealed off by a giant light screen. Nope, nothing to see here, just endless abyss.

Hmm very suspicious. Alright, catacombs it is.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Orv posted:

Awesome. What SL did you generally invade there at?

Ugh, post Anor Londo is so nebulous about this, you might get tons of hits at 70 or 80, but I usually stuck a little lower just to be sure. I think I was around 60 or so? It was a Leeroy gimmick character, so it had to have been around there just to lift Grant. But really, in the Tomb you'll have such a big advantage that you could just use a low SL10 invader and still do well.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Is there even anything positive that happens in Dark Souls?
Killing that idiot pyromancer and murdering that stupid limping mutt

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Killing that idiot pyromancer

You monster.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Zedd posted:

Like we said, no good ending. :smith:

Linking the Fire means that Solaire not only found his own Sun, but he also became his own Sun. Of course, regarding the lore, it's not necessarily a good ending, but hey, the man is happy :unsmith:

ChaosArgate posted:

You monster.

I might've told him about the chaos pyromancy... :smith:

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Just want to thank you guys for all the tips on poison and what-not. Got even better gear than Shadow/Thief Armor now, so it's all good. Beat the are now, and actually really enjoyed the boss fight at the end.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You're terrible. Poor Sif :(

... though this post made me realize I forgot to get Laurentius out of that barrel. gently caress! :mad:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You're terrible. Poor Sif :(

... though this post made me realize I forgot to get Laurentius out of that barrel. gently caress! :mad:

Do you still respawn if you get eaten by the Butchers?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You seem like a positive and bright person. Have a lord soul!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well Pinwheel was rather... anticlimactic.

I guess you really are intended to come here way earlier, since it's right off of Firelink?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Well Pinwheel was rather... anticlimactic.

Yes, you were *supposed* to fight him after Moonlight Butterfly/Bell gargoyles, but very few people do, and it might have tempted you to explore after Pinwheel, which is a nightmare, even at your level. By the way, do you have any source of light besides the skull lantern?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What kind of things are sources of light? I don't have anything else that springs to mind.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

What kind of things are sources of light? I don't have anything else that springs to mind.

There's a hat, a lantern that you use as a shield, and a sorcery.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Skull Lantern ('shield')
Sunlight Maggot (helmet)
Cast Light (Sorcery spell, 14 INT)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well unless I can go get the Sunlight Maggot, I'll be stuck with the lantern. (I have not put any points into INT)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

Well unless I can go get the Sunlight Maggot, I'll be stuck with the lantern. (I have not put any points into INT)

Have fun in the Demon Ruins. :)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I like the lantern. It has a nifty feature of creating blue lights that show you the path forward

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Have fun in the Demon Ruins. :)

Ugh no I don't want to go there just to get a helmet. Lantern it is. How bad could it be??

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

Ugh no I don't want to go there just to get a helmet. Lantern it is. How bad could it be??

That's a very good question. Please report back once you've found the answer. :)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

You've been remarkably even-keeled through this journey of yours so far, so probably not that bad.

I eagerly await your weeping corpse.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
My post was a play on this

Orv posted:

Killing that weirdo Gwyndolyn.
and that you're always gonna find some jerk who'll argue that <x> is an abomination deserving of death and everything needs to be wiped out

what, you think you play as a hero in Dark souls? ahahahahahaha

Orv
May 4, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

some jerk who'll argue that <x> is an abomination deserving of death and everything needs to be wiped out

Look all I'm saying is that clearly Laurentius is up to no good. No-one gets that deep in a barrel on good business.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Skull lantern takes up your shield slot. It is tough even if you have your shield. :ohdear:

Have fun (I invested just enough points to cast Light)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
drat, the one chest I don't attack :(

Right after those two rear end in a top hat greatbow archers too. Speaking of which, I want a bow like theirs! When do I get one?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Iron Rose posted:

drat, the one chest I don't attack :(

Look at chests closely!

quote:

Right after those two rear end in a top hat greatbow archers too. Speaking of which, I want a bow like theirs! When do I get one?

Soon, if you're particularly thorough. If not...it'll be a while.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Started a SL1 run through a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm still impressed by how much gear matters over level. It was surprisingly easy to kill 4 kings with just stone giant armour and a fire mace, I managed to get them on my first try. I was worried I would need lightning to damage them enough, but I wanted to go Darkwraith before I got to Anor Londo. I'm sure I'll be an rear end in a top hat and murder some poor new players in the Parish, but I actually enjoy fair fights in Dark Souls PVP. I am tempted to level up to 2 though so I can use longswords, but I might wait until after I beat most of the bosses just to keep the run pure.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Orv posted:

Look all I'm saying is that clearly Laurentius is up to no good. No-one gets that deep in a barrel on good business.
You Will Think These Creatures From the Bottom of the Abyss Are Evil, Then You Will Understand That Morality Does Not Exist In Nature

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This fucker just kicked me into a pit! Ooooh just wait till I get my hands on him. :mad:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
He helped you, though! He kickd you to the only lamp around! And into a pit full of loot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I already had a lamp. :colbert: That said, turns out down that pit was the lady friend of Petrus who disappeared earlier and I was able to help her so that's good. Hopefully she can get back to Firelink safely.

Mr. Tried-to-kill me.... well he gave me a twin humanity when I got mad at him so I guess he gets to live.

E: This pit has like 5 giant skeletons in it. Oh dear.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 18, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Regy Rusty posted:

Mr. Tried-to-kill me.... well he gave me a twin humanity when I got mad at him so I guess he gets to live.
You made the right call

Regy Rusty posted:

E: This pit has like 5 giant skeletons in it. Oh dear.
You made a less right but still great call

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Skull Lantern + Blue lights is pretty good, I didn't actually watch this part of the game in advance unlike every other one, I just knew I had to go deeper.

That said I had been 2-handing my Zweihander and wearing nothing else at all the entire game, so it using up the shield slot wasn't that much of a deal.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got 105 hours in this game apparently (though that includes significant time alt-tabbed out) and I'm only halfway through tomb of the giants with no dlc done at all. I truly am terrible. My last session consisted of me beating my head against an annoying black wall in the tomb of giants, giving up, going to new londo and getting chased by scary ghosts until I died.

Come watch me fail. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/newbie-failing-at-dark-souls-1

today I'll try and beat new londo I guess, unless I get frustrated in which case I'll do whatever, maybe try the dlc which I'm sure will be a breeze

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

You made a less right but still great call

Good news is I got the Ember. But those 21,000 souls are never getting out of there.

gently caress skeletons and giant skeleton dogs.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Regy Rusty posted:

Good news is I got the Ember. But those 21,000 souls are never getting out of there.

gently caress skeletons and giant skeleton dogs.

This is why I don't like the lantern. :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not really a problem though since I can always switch to my shield when I need to fight.

On a side note - Paladin "Leeroy" huh? Har har.

E: Oh hey it's some more Pinwheels shooting at me. Wait why am I getting poisoned... Oh god toxic baby skeletons. Oh no they're everywhere.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man Executioner Smough is such an rear end in a top hat, especially when he gets all electricy and kicks my rear end seven ways to sunday.

• Locked thread