Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Doc Neutral posted:

There should be a videogamedev.txt or gamingindustry.txt containting stupid, hilarious or plain insane moments from videogame devs, gaming industry and games "journalists".

You can post those things here because most developers are awful idiots too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

RottenK posted:

Why are these people even alive, anyone that dumb should've forgotten how to breath years ago.

Nerds in arguments like to parse everything in terms of absolute rules, so they try to turn the conversation into "Heels: EITHER ALWAYS GOOD OR ALWAYS BAD" instead of observing things like presentational context and how the overall design fits together.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nerds in arguments like to parse everything in terms of absolute rules, so they try to turn the conversation into "Heels: EITHER ALWAYS GOOD OR ALWAYS BAD" instead of observing things like presentational context and how the overall design fits together.

Context is for whores and sjw white knight betas. Real men understand the nature of things implicitly.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Raiden is a sexy cyborg who needs to look good and also hold a lightning katana with his feet. His heels are both functional and practical for a wall running super soldier.

Chell's heels are a safety device made with a shock absorbing blade design as seen in robot kangaroos and Olympics runners who murder their girlfriends.

Samus' heels are obviously powered movement restrictiors for her broken ankles, but she still needs to be combat ready for fighting fox with no items on final destination.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

RottenK posted:

Why are these people even alive, anyone that dumb should've forgotten how to breath years ago.
...Chell's long fall boots aren't even high-heels. They're exactly the opposite of high heels.:psyduck:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Raiden is a sexy cyborg who needs to look good and also hold a lightning katana with his feet. His heels are both functional and practical for a wall running super soldier hilarious.

I think we all know the real reason for those heels :colbert:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I am deeply offended by the blatant sexualization of Raiden.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Samus' heels are obviously powered movement restrictiors for her broken ankles, but she still needs to be combat ready for fighting fox with no items on final destination.

Also there's rockets in them I think? And to be honest rocket heels do sound pretty rad. Though probably more appropriate for something like a crime-fighting drag queen than a space bounty hunter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is the real reason for Raiden's high heels. That is all anyone needs to know.

Shroom King
Sep 3, 2011

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/295-advice/69051667

quote:

greese1 Posted

So are some men, but the vast majority can get orgasms. If you mix oral, penetrative and c******* stimulation your odds are good.

And the censorship here was designed by misogynist sexist morons... God forbid we discuss a woman's body part but male parts are fair game.

quote:

GrandLethal14 Posted

Ugh.....seriously? Much of this site's userbase is at least in their 20s now. I'm 27 myself and have had many experiences with sex. It's funny how even some "gamers" are ignorant enough to perpetuate the stereotype that guys who play games are all friendless virgins.

Gamers.txt IV:I'm 27 myself and have had many experiences with sex.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is this the part where the thread feeds itself gamers.txt by regurgitating memes from Revengeance we beat into the ground a year ago???

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The joke is that I just did it myself

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Raiden is the only well designed character in the entire Metal Gear universe.

Oh, also that Russian space suit man.

quote:

After you defeat her, her pole arm gets an erection and will be pointing upwards while shaking a bit from her sliced-up corpse.
It's an eyesore when you're listening to Mistral's dying words.

One way to solve this is to cut the pole arm up properly but it's a bit tricky due to how it's pointed at your direction.
It would be easier if the pole arm is held sideways, like when you're fighting her.

quote:

nwoooooooooooooo no!! dont' you DARE say that D: !!!!!
that cann't be HAPPANNINNNNNNNNNGGGGG!!
I love Sunny! nwo! she must be in MGR and every MGR game DX !!!!

(and so does BladeWolf! No killing him off because he's a robot/AI....nwoooooooooooo!!!)

quote:

Hello gamers. I am new to having an account here on gamefaqs, however I've lurked here since I was a kid. Aside from the brief introduction, It seems that it is possible to heavily mod Metal Gear Rising (of course, any game is). Ever since the PS3/XBOX360 release, I've known that the game runs in the Havok engine, which is the same engine that was used for games like Siren, Uncharted, Killzone, and what has been modified a lot throughout 2012/2013, Sonic Generations. If any of you have seen the mods for Sonic generations, modders change more than just textures, they make complete model swaps, and ports. They change the animations, the sounds, and even create their own levels. As you can see here, animations, character models, textures, sounds, and cut scenes were completely changed from the ones in Sonic Generations.

I believe that if they can mod Sonic Generations with the tools they have, maybe it's possible to modify their tools to accept the same format that Metal Gear Rising has, especially since their tools support the Havok Engine. If I had the knowledge to do all of that myself, I'd probably put Ryu Hayabusa in the game and definitely not Dante...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

It didn't have to be this way :negative:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Raiden fighting Vamp and having white "blood" spraying everywhere was the best part of MGS4. The gay just flew off the charts and it was glorious.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Does Raiden/the cyborgs have white blood in the Japanese version of Rising? There are a few actiony games where the US release got extra/much more blood in it like Bushido Blade and Guts' Rage and No More Heroes. I always found it interesting how Alien was so influential that white blood is used so often as an immediate "this dude is a robot" indicator for the audience.

If only he had lived long enough to see Ken Levine's true vision he would decided that video games are a high art. But with his eerily timed death now no one will ever acknowledge what I do as a high art. You gotta be kidding me Cliffy.

Ekster posted:

gamingjournalism.txt

I was crying and laughing the entire time. Why not Silent Hill 2? Hell, even Dark Souls would've made a better fit.

I don't believe Dark Souls was out when this was filmed though.

The most laughable thing about it though is that, and it's not like I'm expecting much from a two minute CNN clip, but he offers ZERO critical analysis of Metroid Prime and why it works as a game. Just the most superficial (well Citizen Kane did ___ and Metroid Prime also kinda sorta does things in a way that are almost similar to ___ therefore it's like Citizen Kane!) description of why it's good.

Does anyone still have the Destroyed Beauty concept art book that was given out to people at E3 and also packaged with the collector's edition of Gears of War 1? The first page is incredible it's a page long splurge from Cliffy B. about how the game was inspired by his somber trip to the Imperial War Museum in London and how after Unreal Tournament and such he knew his next game, GEARS OF WAR was going to be about "more than just generic space marines" and be really character focused and have a strong story and stuff, it's great.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Neo Rasa posted:

Does Raiden/the cyborgs have white blood in the Japanese version of Rising? There are a few actiony games where the US release got extra/much more blood in it like Bushido Blade and Guts' Rage and No More Heroes. I always found it interesting how Alien was so influential that white blood is used so often as an immediate "this dude is a robot" indicator for the audience.

Yes - it was changed to red blood in the overseas releases for [reasons], despite being used in a pretty good plot reveal that gets kinda messed up by the change. I don't really see why they had to change it - there are a whole lot of codecs harping on about cyborgs all having artificial blood so it's not like it's a completely incidental detail.

As Sam dies, he bleeds red instead of white and Raiden realizes at the same time as we do that Sam was a regular human (with a robot arm) this whole time and he was just so awesome that everyone thought he was a cyborg. In the English version, he bleeds the exact same colour as all the other mooks and bosses and then Raiden just says "He didn't even have any cyborg enhancements" completely out of nowhere and the whole thing is just :geno:.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fedule posted:

As Sam dies, he bleeds red instead of white and Raiden realizes at the same time as we do that Sam was a regular human (with a robot arm) this whole time and he was just so awesome that everyone thought he was a cyborg. In the English version, he bleeds the exact same colour as all the other mooks and bosses and then Raiden just says "He didn't even have any cyborg enhancements" completely out of nowhere and the whole thing is just :geno:.

Ah, I was wondering what was up with that. It makes a lot of sense now that I know.

I just assumed he said that because muscle tissue was visible or whatever.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Why is Bioshock Infinite art? I played it and it was just "shoot the guys until you run out of ammo, then duck and cover and shoot more of them while trying to find a vending machine".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why is Bioshock Infinite art? I played it and it was just "shoot the guys until you run out of ammo, then duck and cover and shoot more of them while trying to find a vending machine".

Sky Mormons.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Sky Mormons.

The incredibly rich and detailed characters which I can't interact with in any way other than pumping bullets into their faces, or sometimes receiving health or money from?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why is Bioshock Infinite art?

Because Elizabeth is the best waifu ever.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

wow racism is such a deep and complex topic thankfully ken levine's team explored it and truly showed how the truth...

is in the middle

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

In seriousness, the Burial at Sea episodes were showing a little bit of promise on it being something with persistent or unifying themes against the backdrop of a bunch of straw man caricatures, or alternately something proving that the dynamic of especially Elizabeth works in a lot of different settings. It struck me that you could argue for a Dr. Who style series where Elizabeth jaunts around, fixing things in the multiverse and generally being clever and awesome. Dr. Who is, by most estimations, a cherished artistic expression, so QED or something?

And then it became pretty obvious that Ken Levine has had it with Bioshock and is ready to put it to bed. And then smother it to death.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

KoldPT posted:

wow racism is such a deep and complex topic thankfully ken levine's team explored it and truly showed how the truth...

is in the middle

Nah the truth is that you're the villain AND the hero and the only way for you to be redeemed is to have your superpowered daughter erase your existence from the timestream

Racism is always bad

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

For some reason, my brain decided to read the second quote in the voice of one of those awful furries from Foam Adventure. :negative:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm at the final fight and I tried to like that game and just gave up. I should probably finish it, because apparently the ending is good?

Like, seriously, there's this Dr. Breen guy who's the big bad villain the entire time and he's telling his army to kill you and how you're the false shepherd. So you board his ship, make it all the way to the top in an "epic battle". You think the game would be leading up to some big faceoff with the some big bad, and then you're confronted with... this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFgrnco1vBw

(it was recorded for some idiots in mumble so there's talky words over it... sorry.)

A loving animation loop and QTE? The prompt for "PULL COMSTOCK OFF ELIZABETH" came up after a few seconds of me staring in disbelief. They couldn't bother to have a timer for this piece of garbage?

and then you press "F" and you bash his face in on the fountain and then you go to the final fight where you command a dragon to kill enemy ships while they attack yours. and you run out of ammo a lot because you can only carry two guns at the same time.

ART.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

NotAnArtist posted:

Racism is always bad

What about Nazis? It's ok to be racist towards them, isn't it?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The ending isn't that great but the game is so loving easy that if you are actually stuck at any point you should just kill yourself. Games are life and you've just failed at life.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Azurrat posted:

You are incorrect

Always bad means always bad

Think of the buddha

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Bioshock Infinite is the Citizen Kane Piss Christ of gaming.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

The ending isn't that great but the game is so loving easy that if you are actually stuck at any point you should just kill yourself. Games are life and you've just failed at life.

1999 mode is reasonably challenging, requires you to use the vigors in interesting ways and actually vary your weapon selection and stuff. I had a lot of fun with the game, but being real half of the game is Sky Mormons and the other half is A Wizard Did it.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Doc Neutral posted:

The jokes are unfunny and are based around the stereotypical airhead blonde woman.

actually it's a really funny and cute comic based around samus' ability to turn into a ball and extrapolating that to mean she likes round things

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Adam Bowen posted:

Enemies are such absurd bullet sponges on the higher difficulties and coupled with the two weapon limit means it's not even that hard to lose your way into a corner since death also depletes your money reserves which you need to buy more ammo. Combat balance isn't really Infinite's strong suit.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DARPA Dad posted:

actually it's a really funny and cute comic based around samus' ability to turn into a ball and extrapolating that to mean she likes round things

Also it seems that samus is basically a cat in that comic, which is cute and funny as hell.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Enemies are such absurd bullet sponges on the higher difficulties and coupled with the two weapon limit means it's not even that hard to lose your way into a corner since death also depletes your money reserves which you need to buy more ammo. Combat balance isn't really Infinite's strong suit.

I was playing on the highest difficulty level, yes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wasn't there a problem with a lot of Game Journalists reviewing BI without even mentioning the gameplay and talking about the shallow story like it was gaming's sliced bread?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
^^^That's literally what happened, yes. Gaming journalism is such a joke.

Azurrat posted:

"Nazi" isn't a race you doofus :rolleyes:

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

RottenK posted:

Nazis are totally a race. They're the master race. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

RottenK posted:

^^^That's literally what happened, yes. Gaming journalism is such a joke.

hahaha you fell for it hook line and sinker

• Locked thread