Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Finally! Those those filth-ridden pretenders are overthrown! Rome forever over Russia!

Suppport Branas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Jesus help me, what have we gotten ourselves into...

I just get back from a family meeting back in Lesbos over mom being caught in the Inn explosion, and I return to the Senate informed that not only has the late Emperor-Tsar's kid been kicked out but a puppet Emperor has been set up in her place.

The poor girl now lacks much in the way of restoring herself to the throne, and both the puppet and the puppet's master couldn't see conspiracy if the Black Chamber supporters started shouting it in their faces, as they're want to do.

(OOC: Oh god the poor intrigue score on the both of them, I don't want to start going through Emperors like it's an Imperial bargain sale. Even Dobrava's is laughable, though at least she has the excuse of being a 13 year old kid.)

I will say this in front of the entire senate, as a descendant of one of the founding members of the Old Romans and as the daughter of one of the old regime's first Varangian supporters: I abstain from giving my support to either Yaroslavovich or Branas claimants. If you need me I'll be busy devising plans for taking back Rome and the Republics.

(OOC: This is going to be a glorious mess. :munch:)

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Finally! Those those filth-ridden pretenders are overthrown! Rome forever over Russia!

Suppport Branas!

Would you at least agree that it is an insult for the doukes to assume they can have the Emperor as their puppet?

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Insult or not, it is they who have the power right now as we've failed to steward the Komenian bloodline. I agree it is foolish to rise up now "this very instant now" but you'll all agree that if we take to the safety of the douxes puppet we can start our ancient desire of Assassinating EVERY SINGLE DOUX till we can install the republic. I feel for the deposed child and her Sicilian mentor but right now we need to choose the empires best interest at heart, and that means tearing the nation apart as little as possible! And that sadly means playing into the hands of the douxes for now.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

I am all for caution. Patience is a virtue after all. Plus I'm certain the doukes, in their usual short-sightedness will hand us the chance we need sooner or later.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Samuel posted:

Insult or not, it is they who have the power right now as we've failed to steward the Komenian bloodline. I agree it is foolish to rise up now "this very instant now" but you'll all agree that if we take to the safety of the douxes puppet we can start our ancient desire of Assassinating EVERY SINGLE DOUX till we can install the republic. I feel for the deposed child and her Sicilian mentor but right now we need to choose the empires best interest at heart, and that means tearing the nation apart as little as possible! And that sadly means playing into the hands of the douxes for now.

The time has come to lay low, I agree. My great-grandfather wrote many a scroll on the republic and how he wished that he could just stab the guiding light senator (there was only one at the time) to death for stealing his favorite seat. He was an rear end, but the douxes have hosed over the empire a dozen times too many. We must hide ourselves until the time is right and the republic can be restored!

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

The Senator pins the Komenian badge back to his toga, then sits and stares into his wine. After a few minutes he throws his cup at the wall, mumbles ##support Yaroslavovich, and begins slamming his forehead into the banquet table.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

##support Yaroslavovich

gently caress the Doukes.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

##support Yaroslavovich

I would choose my allies carefully in your position, Your Imperial Majesty. We seem to be going through rulers like wine through Dionysus lately, and the doukes' appetites have always been so insatiable...

(OOC edit: Just did a quick count and including the couple votes immediately after me, so far it's 7-6 Yaroslavovich.)

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 19, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

##support Yaroslavovich

Like I said, I liked her father, and she didn't really get a chance to prove herself, but seemed rather quick on the uptake. We had a pretty great run with female Emperors, so why not give her a shot?

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

My father was a supporter of the Black Chamber back in his time, and the Russian pretender took his head and my Senate seat! I am glad to see that the Kievan who was brought in to replace me is now forced back to the north where he belongs, and the ancient and venerable line of Milvians is once again restored to our rightful place in the Senate.

## Support Branas

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The senator representing the noble family Jagius is not present, it is well known that he and much of his family fled Greece to attend to the true Empress within her duchy in Tuscany. If he were here though, he would check "n" on the paper. ## Support Yaroslavovich.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

Samuel posted:

Emergency meeting at my fortified Villa immediately!
How about the SENATE takes over Rome instead of pretender kings, and little girls that aren't even related to the Imperial Dynasty!
The time is now senators! Lets install the government that is not dependent on the first and the best king you can find, who's bloodline will vanish in a century or less anyway!
LET THE REPUBLIC RISE ONCE MORE!

SPQR!

Senate and People of Rome! It is time for us to realize the truth! We have always known that it was the Douxes who have been the great weight around the ankles of the Roman Empire and it's true power. Cowards, heretics, traitors and murderers all! However, the Douxes are not the disease my fellow Senators, they are only the symptom of a disease.

And that disease is Monarchy!

Back in the time of the old Kingdom of Rome, there had been good kings. Romulus, Pompilius, Hostilius and Marcius! However, the monarchy is only as good a those who sit in the throne.

Senate and People of Rome, the Komenians were our good Kings, our good Emperors... but the good must give way to the bad.

The good Kings must give way to Tarquinius!

And the Douxes have hand-picked one such man for us!

Senate and People of Rome! There was never such a time of sustained, good leadership in Rome as there was under the Republic. We never had fear of men like Nero, men like Romulus Augustus or men like this puppet coming to blight us in the Republic!

Let us not play the Douxes' game! Let us do as our ancestors did, and unseat the Tarquinius before us!

SPQR!

Skyfinder fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 19, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Senators, I think we can all agree that Greeks understand the nature of power better than other nations. The Greeks understand everything better than other nations. Our legacy of philosophy and learning is unparalleled. Despite my concern regarding the Douxes, there is only one clear choice.

##support Branas

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

##support Yaroslavovich, because anything is better than a puppet emperor of the Douxes.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

The law is on the side of Tsarita Dobrava, as novel as a Turkish emperor would be. The only good thing Kyriakos ever did for the empire was siring St. Valeria. His great great grand child would only have a very weak claim to the throne. A claim that could only be pressed against a child in a regency, not a grown man empowered with his own vassals and his own connections. We shouldn't throw our lot behind that of a murderer, or even the puppet of a murderer.

##Support Yaroslovovich

Speaking of claimants, what ever happened to Dobrava's brother after he lost the throne of Kiev? It's always good to keep your heirs/potential rivals at hand in court.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Thank you for your interest in securing the backing and support of the ΑΙ υποσημειώ Ιμπυ lineage. Unfortunately, at the present time the extant members of the familia are on a pilgrimage to Mount Athos, and are thus unable to formally ratify their support. They will, however, be praying for you and for your soul, and will clarify their position upon their return to the Senate. May the Almighty bless you and keep you, and may he pour out his blessings upon the Empire.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

##support Yaroslavovich

It's probably impossible to hope for an actual restoration, but up until this point succession had worked as per the law.

A terrible shame. We might at least get to develop Tuscany a bit. Florence seems like a good place for a university. :sigh:

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

##support Yaroslavovich

Man, gently caress this new guy.

At least the Russian Tsar-Empreor wasn't a puppet.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

##support Yaroslavovich, because that's where the law is!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Wow, this Yaroslavich guy comes and kills the majority of an action session, shits all over Byzantium in almost all of his sentences, and the remainder cower in worship of Kiev, leaving it to the Black Chamber to deal out justice... then this rebel overthrows his daughter and restores Greco-Roman cultural supremacy (a VERY important thing for our internal stability, culturalism aside) and gives us back our votes and you thank the new Roman Emperor by sailing for Tuscany to put the Russian back on the throne, meaning another round of civil strife after a costly conflict to reinstall her.

He is the puppet of the Doux of Paphlagonia more than he is of the Douxes in general. If we simply offer the man pulling the strings his daughter in marriage to him or one of his sons then I am sure he can keep the other Douxes in check.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 19, 2014

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013

##support Branas

I bet he's a swell guy.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

## Support Branas

I mean the former Empress no ill-will, but I serve the Empire. She is no longer Empress. If she were to regain her throne, I would offer her counsel too.

Now then, Emperor Branas, let me tell you of why we should wage a trade war on the Somali...

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

##support Branas

Dear Imperial Majesty,

you're cool man 10/10 we should like hang out

Also you wanna do something about those highly uncool Black Chamber guys? I mean, they don't seem to tend to like you and stuff.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
EDIT: Redid vote post, scroll down

AdventFalls fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 19, 2014

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

*pours glass of wine, drinks it*

*pauses for a moment, then drinks entire bottle*

I go to see what's going on in Europe after St. Valeria's victory and this is what I come back to? This isn't the Rome that Consul Scruffles fought and died for!

But Branas is the emperor, and as the rightful Senate of Rome, it is our duty to set Rome back on the proper course by advising the Emperor, no matter who he is.

## Support Branas

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Aeromancia posted:

##support Yaroslavovich

Man, gently caress this new guy.

At least the Russian Tsar-Empreor wasn't a puppet.

He wasn't a puppet, but do you know what he was? A tyrant, a murderer, and worst of all a Slav! I've never been one to drink, but my glee at his stupid little daughter's overthrow cannot be overstated! Now we have a (cultural) Greek, ready to put us back on the right track! I say thank you to the doukes!

How you fools whine! You yearn for barbarian occupation again? The Senate is restored, Greek supremacy is proven, and you want to install Do-whatever back on throne? You fools. We should be celebrating! I'll become the first Branasian and get the booze! Maybe we can celebrate the exile of all the Yaroslavoviches next!

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 19, 2014

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

My dear Doux,

You have the thanks of the true Roman senate for restoring a Roman Emperor to the throne. My family has returned to glorious Constantinople, and would be pleased to retake our seat as we serve the Emperor and his loyal Roman vassals.

##Support Branas

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

##Support Yaroslavovich

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

My new Emperor,

It is with a heavy heart that I write this missive to you today. Many in the Senate perceive you a patsy, a puppet of the Douxes! I have heard things about you, that you are not always so wise to believe what others tell you, and you must have heard rumors in your discussions with the servants during the war.

I conditionally vote that I like you, but I urge you to shore up your standing amongst the Senate by taking the following steps:

1) Marry the former Empress. You are not married, and she is approaching adulthood. It would stop those of us who believe she would have been an excellent Empress from throwing our support behind her in the event of war.
2) Eliminate the Doux of Paphlagonia at all costs. He is a deceiver, sir. A tyrant in the making. He has proven willing to take up arms against an Emperor to install his favored candidate, what is to say his next is not himself!
3) Revoke the "Independence" of our breakaway states as soon as possible. Even you must know you did not simply 'grant' them independence.

These three steps would - in this Senator's opinion - bolster your claim and the reality that you are the Emperor.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

The Phanariote Committee

An open letter to Komitas Branas and Helias Altunetkin posted:

To Lord Branas and Grand Prince Altunetkin,

By force you managed to put this pretender on the throne. Branas is naught but a puppet on your strings, Helias, an opportunist's tool to secure power for himself regardless of what happens to the State itself. In your petty war you managed to hand Rome back to the Pope, the final Heretic and master of the Landless Horde. Several of the former vassals of the Empire rejected you openly and ignored your missives about loyalty, and one of if not the last true successors of the purple branch of the Komnenos was reduced to a mere Princess and Doukessa in Tuscany.

We Qutuzids haven't fought this hard against the Unitas just to get a Doux with his Greek head stuck so far up his own Greek arse he can see out of his mouth on the throne. We finally had a lord who knew what it meant to fight, and what it meant to rule. The complacent and decadent parties of the Senate was rid of, and we were once again reminded that we are all mere administrators under the glory of the Basilissa. This one seek to get back to the old ways not because they were better, but because they were Old. I won't merely align myself with the true Basilissa, I will align myself AGAINST this pretender. This is a warning and a challenge. Remember that just like you once ousted the Tsarista you can be ousted just as well. Don't think the Doukes will be more loyal to you just because you're one of them. They will rise against you just as easy as they rose with you.

I, Tachat II, am the last of the living Qutuzid nobles. We have stood loyal to the royal line of the Komnenos, and later with the Yaroslavovich family. Watch your steps. The mythological Black Chamber may be vast, but a small, focused blade often strike more true than several. By the time you read this letter me and Berat will have fled Constantinople. I am the last of my line, and I'm not afraid to rise against you should you force my hand. Rest assured I will not stop 'till the true royal line is back on the throne.

LONG LIVE DOBRAVA YAROSLAVOVICH! LONG LIVE KIEV-BYZANTIUM! DOWN WITH THE PRETENDER!

- Tachat II Qutuzid

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Do either of the candidates have strong opinions on matters of faith? Which candidate is less likely to have me killed simply because of my faith?

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

##Support Branas, this is the only way to restore order to the empire. I have no doubt that the skill Branas has shown in managing the affairs of the state will allow us to quickly pay back the massive debts his child predecessor racked up in her wars. Once the matter of Russian child is settled we will need to look into doing something about Kiev. The northern lands have not been a part of the empire long and I question the loyalty of these foreign nobles.

Clayren fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 19, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Luhood posted:

The Phanariote Committee

Qutuzid, listen to yourself. Knew what it meant to rule? If he did, he wouldn't been blown up. The doukes may rebel again, but do you think they will fight for a little Russian, especially after it was proven she lacks God's favor? I doubt it. And, am I to understand you support the Yaroslavovich pretenders merely because they aren't Greek? You, a "Turk" from a "Turkish" family that has lived in Constantinople for generations? That has sat in the Senate and spoke Greek for decades? The only thing not Greek about you is your name. How does it feel to be to living proof of Unitas's doctrine?

Why support this ousted pretender? An Empire cannot be run by a foreigner, much less a barbarian. What do you think will happen if she regains the throne? She will either adopt Roman ways, or be overthrown again. Therefore, to prevent further unrest, I call for the immediate execution of every member of the Yaroslavovich family, and every traitor that supports them!

Kiev is no Rome, Yaroslav was no Emperor, and his daughter should have been blown up with him. Long live Rome! All hail Emperor Komitas!

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 19, 2014

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
##support Yaroslavovich

The Phanariote Committee

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Qutuzid, listen to yourself. Knew what it meant to rule? If he did, he wouldn't been blown up. The doukes may rebel again, but do you think they will fight for a little Russian, especially after it was proven she lacks God's favor? I doubt it. And, am I to understand you support the Yaroslavovich pretenders merely because they aren't Greek? You, a "Turk" from a "Turkish" family that has lived in Constantinople for generations? That has sat in the Senate and spoke Greek for decades? The only thing not Greek about you is your name. How does it feel to be to living proof of Unitas's doctrine?

Why support this ousted pretender? An Empire cannot be run by a foreigner, much less a barbarian. What do you think will happen if she regains the throne? She will either adopt Roman ways, or be overthrown again. Therefore, to prevent further unrest, I call for the immediate execution of every member of the Yaroslavovich family, and every traitor that supports them!

Kiev is no Rome, Yaroslav was no Emperor, and his daughter should have been blown up with him. Long live Rome! All hail Emperor Komitas!

How better to support the cause of Unitas than to support the puppet of would-be feudal vassals who gave away a third of our realm to armed rebels?

Your obsession with race blinds you to the very concepts you claim to espouse-- you once argued at great length about the Roman empire shifting with the times-- becoming Greek, in time of the Greeks.

I concur with you that we ought have one culture and be one people-- but I do not understand at what point that became "yay, Greeks!" over every other concern for you. You have thrown away every principle you ever had to support the whims of the doukes all on the basis of the language they speak and the cuisine they enjoy, and we will not forget you when our Tsaritsa returns to the throne.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

Adept Nightingale posted:

How better to support the cause of Unitas than to support the puppet of would-be feudal vassals who gave away a third of our realm to armed rebels?

Your obsession with race blinds you to the very concepts you claim to espouse-- you once argued at great length about the Roman empire shifting with the times-- becoming Greek, in time of the Greeks.

I concur with you that we ought have one culture and be one people-- but I do not understand at what point that became "yay, Greeks!" over every other concern for you. You have thrown away every principle you ever had to support the whims of the doukes all on the basis of the language they speak and the cuisine they enjoy, and we will not forget you when our Tsaritsa returns to the throne.

He seems like a kind man, it is unfortunate that he's currently a Doux patsy. If he cannot prove to wrestle himself free, perhaps she should return...

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Steppes and Republics shall never stay down, ## Support Branas!!!!

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Blackunknown posted:

Steppes and Republics shall never stay down, ## Support Branas!!!!

Whom precisely are you representing at this point, anyway? The Steppes and republics appear to have seceded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

AdventFalls posted:

1) Marry the former Empress. You are not married, and she is approaching adulthood. It would stop those of us who believe she would have been an excellent Empress from throwing our support behind her in the event of war.

While I still refuse to show support towards either claimant, I must give credit to a good idea when I see it. Marriage to the former Empress will ensure a better foundation to the new regime, so I recommend that those who wish to support the new Branas dynasty swallow their pride and any anger towards the Yaroslavovich family and have him ask for Dobrava's hand in marriage. The girl is only 3 years away from adulthood anyway, and by then I should hope that we have something resembling a sense of stability. As for Helias of Paphlagonia, the puppetmaster, I recommend you not interfere with this proposal even if it means losing a degree of grip on your puppet's strings.

Now back to planning the invasion of Abkhazia...

(OOC: I just noticed both Dobrava and and Komitas are exceptionally tall. That kind of amuses me. If some last bits of Basillike's stats rub off on Dobrava she could reasonably compliment Komitas too, stat-wise. Well, except intrigue. Neither could see a plot coming if conspirators started shouting it from the rooftops...)

• Locked thread