Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Far too long to quote, but this is a fascinating piece about fight-fixing in boxing.

http://deadspin.com/why-i-fixed-fights-1535114232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Far too long to quote, but this is a fascinating piece about fight-fixing in boxing.

This was excellent. Thanks.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

it's a strange feeling to have 'why i hate boxing' put to me so humanely

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

fatherdog posted:

That's an excellent article. Thank you.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
mewse posted that article ponst the book and it was a great read.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Definitely a great article. Between horrible judging, the network/promotion wars and so forth boxing suffers enough these days without fighters having to take dives but of course kit happens all the time to this day but it's kind of annoying to have people interpret bad judging/a bad mismatch as a fight being fixed.

Also this weekend is the return of Bhop against the "fourth light heavyweight champion" Beibut Shumenov.
Don't know too much about Shumenov -he won the belt against Campillo in 2010- and his most notable win since is I guess William Joppy. Also Shawn Porter defends his ibf belt against the Malignaggi in what has to be a star maker for Porter. Also Peter Quillin is stuck against some Czech fighter and will probably look less than impressive but still pull it before calling out Golovkin and Martinez.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

1. The most interesting part about that article is when other fighters would deride the can who managed to actually win. I figured someone would support them.

2. William Joppy rules

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Klitschko's next defense will be on ESPN, it's Dr. Steelhammer so I know snooze big deal, but the heavyweight belts being on a lot of tvs has the potential to really mix up the division. I hope they'll be able to make a proper event out of it.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

crolla vs murray tonight. might be vaguely interesting.

my favourite thing about crolla is when he was on some card with an american commentator and the commentator kept saying his name like 'corolla.' million dollar.. corolla.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Two face first manc meatheads

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e: Wrong thread

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

howard foster getting booed lol

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've had a shocker on the betting tonight so I could do with it going the distance, reckon Crolla might do him though

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lomachenko-Russel Jr. June 21 promoted by GBP on Showtime

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

The SituAsian posted:

Definitely a great article. Between horrible judging, the network/promotion wars and so forth boxing suffers enough these days without fighters having to take dives but of course kit happens all the time to this day but it's kind of annoying to have people interpret bad judging/a bad mismatch as a fight being fixed.

Also this weekend is the return of Bhop against the "fourth light heavyweight champion" Beibut Shumenov.
Don't know too much about Shumenov -he won the belt against Campillo in 2010- and his most notable win since is I guess William Joppy. Also Shawn Porter defends his ibf belt against the Malignaggi in what has to be a star maker for Porter. Also Peter Quillin is stuck against some Czech fighter and will probably look less than impressive but still pull it before calling out Golovkin and Martinez.

The whole article basically alludes to Bob Arum being a massive crook, which is obvious.

Shumenov is alright, he's a big aggressive boxer/puncher, sort of like a more rudimentary Sergei Kovalev. But he doesn't hit as hard and he's much more predictable. He arguably lost two to Gabriel Campillo, and he's never really beaten anyone else of note. He's a top 10 level fighter but Hopkins should have no trouble with him.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: nevermind

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 20, 2014

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mauro Ranallo is the worst thing about Showtime boxing.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Who could Peter Quillin even fight that would be interesting?

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Ninja PD posted:

Who could Peter Quillin even fight that would be interesting?

Catchweight with Thurman?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Thank you world star for supporting me"

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

good lord he's practically spitting into garcia's ear

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Malignaggi-Porter off to a much better start than expected

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Porter is just missing a touch of power to make him scary in a chaotic kind of way.

This fight is good so far and seemingly heating up.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
That was some RJJr poo poo.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hot drat what a round. Paulie getting smoked.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

this won't go 12

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Paulie is mouthy and featherfisted and probably not nearly as good as he thinks he is, but you can't say that motherfucker ain't tough.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatherdog posted:

Paulie is mouthy and featherfisted and probably not nearly as good as he thinks he is, but you can't say that motherfucker ain't tough.

Paulie is a great disciple of the sport, he just doesn't have the body or the skills to execute his really impressive understanding of it.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

I must admit, nobody has manhandled Paulie like that. Goodness gracious.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was loving BRUTAL. A star is born in Shawn Porter.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

he made that look really easy, way too strong for paulie.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

hahaha, bhop is the best

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Al Bernstein just plagiarized the first paragraph of this article.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/dec/04/sports/la-sp-dwyre-20131205

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
This fight is going to loving suck and it'll be great.

The WBA is an especially jokey belt apparently.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 20, 2014

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

bhop is styling all over this stiff

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

My god, Hopkins making him look amateurish

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, the Mayweather-Maidana card is really abysmal, main fight included. Khan-Collazo is the only remotely interesting fight there, and if Khan wins it just sets up another abysmal Mayweather card.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hopkins? Making a guy with "Trainer: Self" look amateurish? :monocle:

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

you're mean!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

:laffo: a split decision. gently caress boxing.

• Locked thread