Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
All helpful answers, thanks! Sounds like the Reminders option is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I uninstalled Outlook but office reminders are still going off. How do I disable them?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Is there a way to dump a directory of word files (.doc) and convert them to individual PDFs? I regularly get other mac users without Word complaining they can't read the files properly.

I have Microsoft Word 2011 and the Adobe suite, if that helps.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 17, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Use Automator to print them to PDF?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I was about to ask if there were any good S/FTP clients outside of Transmit - which costs too much for how little I need it, FileZilla - which has a horrible interface and randomly interprets trackpad movement as "upload desktop folder to the server", and Cyberduck - which requires the penance of installing Java. But Cyberduck seems to have fixed that bit and embedded the runtime. Now it just begs for donations, fair enough. Just a heads up if anyone else had written it off long ago.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You could even create a Service accessible via right-click on a word doc to convert and save a PDF in the future.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

You could even create a Service accessible via right-click on a word doc to convert and save a PDF in the future.

God I love services. I just discovered the one that lets me convert highlighted text to Latex (comes with LatexIt).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Pixelmator's half off (now priced at $14.99) for the next week to coincide with their 3.2 update.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
I guess this is sort of a software question (even though it's related to hardware). When I'm at my desk with my laptop, I connect my mouse and keyboard.

With my mouse, I turn off "natural" scrolling because it feels weird for me. Yet, when I use the built-in trackpad I prefer to have "natural" scrolling enabled. The problem is I need to set this manually every time I swap pointing devices. Is there any way for this to stay locked to the specific pointing device (ie trackpad "natural", mouse "normal")?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Pixelmator's half off (now priced at $14.99) for the next week to coincide with their 3.2 update.

And to compete with Acorn's $14.99 sale price, no doubt. Good time to get your pick of indie photoshop-lite apps.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Plugging the sale of my Mac mini here, since this thread has been more helpful and useful to me than the hardware thread. :)

Mac mini (Late 2012, 2.5Ghz Dual Core, 4GB RAM) with Extended AppleCare

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

shymog posted:

Is there any way for this to stay locked to the specific pointing device (ie trackpad "natural", mouse "normal")?

You're looking for Scroll Reverser.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Smart options, I always forget Automator!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Before I pay $5 for this:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/BatteryMonitor.html

Is there anything free out there that can log the charge and discharge as a percent or mAh? Preferably draw a nice plot instead of outputting a CSV file? I'm just lazy here.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

CoconutBattery?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I have a Macbook Pro that i've been backing up to a external firewire drive. I recently bought a Mac Mini and just wanted to have both machines back up to that same drive so I wouldn't have to have cables plugged in to my laptop all the time. The first backup for my Macbook completed fine over an ethernet connection. But now any time I backup over wifi it will complete one fine then the next time I get a message that Time Machine has verified the backups and has to start a new backup. I found some instructions online for fixing the broken sparse bundle and that worked for one backup and then it broke again. Doing some googling it seems this is a very common problem with backing up to NAS machines or drives plugged directly into airport devices. Is it always this flaky? Do i just need to plan on hooking up the external drive to my laptop once a week or something. If nothing else is there an easy way I can tell time machine to only back up on wired connections or something?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

syndex posted:

I have a Macbook Pro that i've been backing up to a external firewire drive. I recently bought a Mac Mini and just wanted to have both machines back up to that same drive so I wouldn't have to have cables plugged in to my laptop all the time. The first backup for my Macbook completed fine over an ethernet connection. But now any time I backup over wifi it will complete one fine then the next time I get a message that Time Machine has verified the backups and has to start a new backup. I found some instructions online for fixing the broken sparse bundle and that worked for one backup and then it broke again. Doing some googling it seems this is a very common problem with backing up to NAS machines or drives plugged directly into airport devices. Is it always this flaky? Do i just need to plan on hooking up the external drive to my laptop once a week or something. If nothing else is there an easy way I can tell time machine to only back up on wired connections or something?

I read somewhere that Time machine backups are not as good as anything rsync does.
I think this was it, someone linked in this very thread. http://brian.windheim.org/2012/time-machine-sucks-use-rsync-instead

This would be my first guess. Have you tried using Carbon Copy Clone instead to do the backing up?
rsync is free, you could give that a go first if you don't want to shell out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

CoconutBattery?

AFAIK it doesn't log/graph.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

AFAIK it doesn't log/graph.

In the screenshot it has a "History" tab so I don't really know, I haven't used it for a long time.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

thegreatcodfish posted:

God I love services. I just discovered the one that lets me convert highlighted text to Latex (comes with LatexIt).

Seriously. Creating your own right-click services is maybe the best kept secret wizardry in OSX.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

They've already cranked out 7 betas for 10.9.3.

Unrelated: but can anyone recommend a good flashcard app that sync between OS X and iOS? I know it's a topic that comes up infrequently either here or the iOS app thread, but I can't recall what the usual recommendations are.

Anki

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Axiem posted:

Thanks for this, that did the trick!

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I have an Automator service that saves selected text to a text document. Is there a way I can make it convert rich text to markdown? Googling just gives me ways to turn markdown to rich text, the opposite of what I need.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well, I own a mid 2007 iMac (one of the 24 inch screen ones) with a C2D, 2 GB of RAM and a 750GB hard disk.
It was running 10.4 (I got it just before 10.5 was released) and I upgraded to 10.9.2 last week.

I've got to say, I am surprised that Mavericks runs so drat well and fast on this considering the age of the equipment and the lacking of the specs. I've ordered another 2GB of RAM to bring it up to 4GB just because it makes sense, but I am in awe of how well everything is working.

It's been about 5 years since I last had my hands on this and some of the automation is making me wonder why I ever went back to windows.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

In the screenshot it has a "History" tab so I don't really know, I haven't used it for a long time.

Nah thats just keeping track of your battery degredation, not anything fine grained like the data during a single charge cycle. Anyway I bought battery monitor for $5. Not bad but more like a $2 app.

Axiem posted:

This app is great. Too bad this should have been core OS functionality since day 1. At least the app is free.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

pyrrho posted:

Well, I own a mid 2007 iMac (one of the 24 inch screen ones) with a C2D, 2 GB of RAM and a 750GB hard disk.
It was running 10.4 (I got it just before 10.5 was released) and I upgraded to 10.9.2 last week.

I've got to say, I am surprised that Mavericks runs so drat well and fast on this considering the age of the equipment and the lacking of the specs. I've ordered another 2GB of RAM to bring it up to 4GB just because it makes sense, but I am in awe of how well everything is working.

It's been about 5 years since I last had my hands on this and some of the automation is making me wonder why I ever went back to windows.

That machine can actually be upgraded to as far as 6 GB, it's just officially only supported for 4 GB.

I've converted a 20-inch mid-2007 iMac to Linux Mint and computationally it's not any faster than when it was under Mavericks running a BOINC project, which should tell you Apple does care somewhat about constantly optimizing and refining the OS while at the same time keeping up compatibility.

Put a SSD in that baby and you'll really see it fly!

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I have an SD card that seems to be dying. I can see the photo thumbnails in Finder and in the iPhoto import dialog, but when I try and copy or import the photos about half of them fail. Are there any recovery tools that are actually worthwhile? Or any dd-like terminal jiggery-pokery I can do?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I'd LOVE to swap out the HDD, only problem is I feel so uncomfortable taking apart the screen to do so. I like that it still works and is one of those resolutions that don't exist any more so I'd be mindful of breaking it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ephori posted:

I have an SD card that seems to be dying. I can see the photo thumbnails in Finder and in the iPhoto import dialog, but when I try and copy or import the photos about half of them fail. Are there any recovery tools that are actually worthwhile? Or any dd-like terminal jiggery-pokery I can do?

You could try PhotoRec http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

ephori posted:

Try it in a different card reader on a different computer first. This (as little sense as it makes) solves my occasional can't-read-from-card problems 100% of the time. (And it's not just my reader - my roommate has to use mine instead of his occasionally for the same reasons. It is a mystery...)

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Binary Badger posted:

That machine can actually be upgraded to as far as 6 GB, it's just officially only supported for 4 GB.

If this does work, then I'm so doing this. I went from 2 -> 4 which helped, but 4 -> 6 will help even more. But what size RAM should I use? 2x 4 GB and it addresses only 6? Or try to find 2 x 3 GB? Does that exist? What am I looking for here? I'm in Norway if that makes a difference.
(Already loaded that machine with an SSD).

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone know if there's a way to retroactively turn on encryption for time machine backups? I have a full disk of about 6 months of backups and I'm moving to a faster drive, so I thought it'd be a good time to start encrypting too.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
http://www.mactrast.com/2013/07/how-to-public-how-to-encrypt-time-machine-backups-with-os-x/

You might also be able to right-click the drive in Finder and choose "encrypt."

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/07/how-to-public-how-to-encrypt-time-machine-backups-with-os-x/

You might also be able to right-click the drive in Finder and choose "encrypt."

That check box is greyed out for me, though - which is why I wasn't sure if it was an option for already created backups...

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I've got a 13" MBPr that I put next to a 24" monitor. I've never had such a problem in Windows, the mouse would always move smoothly between the monitors no matter where I arranged the displays. In OSX it's the total opposite. I have about 4" of space between the displays that is just a wall where I can't move my mouse smoothly between them.

Does anyone know of some software or of a setting I can use that will ALWAYS move my mouse to the second monitor if I push off the edge of the first monitor?

I'm referring to display arrangement;

I know I can move the laptop monitor to the "middle" of the large monitor, but that's even more annoying, honestly. I want it to not matter if I'm at the very top, or very bottom. If I move my mouse off the edge of monitor 1, go to monitor 2!

vty fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 21, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FistLips posted:

If this does work, then I'm so doing this. I went from 2 -> 4 which helped, but 4 -> 6 will help even more. But what size RAM should I use? 2x 4 GB and it addresses only 6? Or try to find 2 x 3 GB? Does that exist? What am I looking for here? I'm in Norway if that makes a difference.
(Already loaded that machine with an SSD).

Don't bother putting in 2X4, only 6 GB will be recognized, one 2 GB plus one 4 GB should be fine, I have several old iMac 2007's configured this way.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

vty posted:

I've got a 13" MBPr that I put next to a 24" monitor. I've never had such a problem in Windows, the mouse would always move smoothly between the monitors no matter where I arranged the displays. In OSX it's the total opposite. I have about 4" of space between the displays that is just a wall where I can't move my mouse smoothly between them.

Does anyone know of some software or of a setting I can use that will ALWAYS move my mouse to the second monitor if I push off the edge of the first monitor?

I'm referring to display arrangement;

I know I can move the laptop monitor to the "middle" of the large monitor, but that's even more annoying, honestly. I want it to not matter if I'm at the very top, or very bottom. If I move my mouse off the edge of monitor 1, go to monitor 2!

Isn't this the same way it works in windows (if the display boundaries do not line up, the mouse doesn't move to the second monitor)?

As a workaround, you could try using one of the resolution setting tools to bump up the actual resolution of your rMBPs display (effectively turning off retina scaling). Although that would probably make it unusable for most tasks...

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does anyone have suggestions for a good circuit design app?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
If you don't need so advanced stuff Circuitlab is pretty good, https://www.circuitlab.com. It's free if you have a student email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good circuit design app?
Falstad