Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Not sure if that should be a compliment to Nagata or an insult to Goto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biosys
Aug 13, 2011
Wasn't expecting much but that was a really good show, huh.

Honma/Ishii (if it happens) should be p. great.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Biosys posted:

Dunno if anyone else is watching atm, but holy poo poo, Honma over Ishii with a jumping tombstone.

After he picked up the belt and pointed at it a bunch so prob. Honma vs Ishii at Dontaku as well.

What the gently caress this wasn't a joke post? :wtc:

Holy poo poo it's happening.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

epitasis posted:

Push Honma

heck yeah

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Honma/Ishii is going to be The Stiffest Match.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just got around to watching the Nakamura/Tanahashi match at Invasion Attack 2014, is Tanahashi a heel now? I thought he was NJPWs golden boy.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Le Saboteur posted:

Just got around to watching the Nakamura/Tanahashi match at Invasion Attack 2014, is Tanahashi a heel now? I thought he was NJPWs golden boy.

No, he still has the super babyface gimmick and the love based catchphrases, it's just that he's both willing and very adept at heeling it up against other extremely popular guys like Nakamura and Okada. NJPW alignments are generally pretty fuzzy outside of the Bullet Club.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

BlueArmyMan posted:

Not sure if that should be a compliment to Nagata or an insult to Goto.

always an insult to goto

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't get it what about that gif

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

epitasis posted:

I don't get it what about that gif

Goto's big move is a backdrop suplex, I believe.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Le Saboteur posted:

Think of Tanahashi as a better Cena. There are some Japanese fans that are sick of his super babyface gimmick.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

weekly font posted:

Think of Tanahashi as a better Cena. There are some Japanese fans that are sick of his super babyface gimmick.

Also it's hard to really be a straight up babyface when you're against the most charismatic man on the planet.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Goto's big move is a backdrop suplex, I believe.

that's nagata's move.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Final Wrestling Dontaku card:

quote:

Wrestling Dontaku 2014 in Fukuoka Kokusai Center (May 3rd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqE2vthyPpI

Card
  • Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Tiger Mask IV, KUSHIDA & Yohei Komatsu vs. BUSHI, Mascara Dorada, El Desperado & Captain New Japan
  • The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) (c) vs. Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) - IWGP JR. TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton "X" Benjamin)
  • Satoshi Kojima (c) vs. Wes Brisco - NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata
  • Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi - IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Tomoaki Honma - NEVER OPENWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Tetsuya Naito & Jushin Thunder Liger vs. Bullet Club ("Machine Gun" Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
  • Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Daniel Gracie & Rolles Gracie
  • Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. AJ Styles - IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
How to watch: iPPV on USTREAM ($25)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Card looks great especially considering that Tana and Shinsuke aren't even in marquee matchups. Honma's very good considering his normally borderline jobber status and he and Ishii should matchup really well.

Hope the crowd's better than last year's Dontaku show.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Card looks soft because of that loving Gracies match, I think. Main event will be awesome, after that I really just wanna see Ishii vs. Honma. I don't even know who Nakanishi is. Young Bucks match will be good I'm sure. Is Shelley injured again? Fourth best match on the card is gonna be the comedy hardcore stuff between Yano/Iizuka vs. Suzuki-Gun with Taichi running around ringside.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

epitasis posted:

Card looks soft because of that loving Gracies match, I think. Main event will be awesome, after that I really just wanna see Ishii vs. Honma. I don't even know who Nakanishi is. Young Bucks match will be good I'm sure. Is Shelley injured again? Fourth best match on the card is gonna be the comedy hardcore stuff between Yano/Iizuka vs. Suzuki-Gun with Taichi running around ringside.

Nakanishi is the big fat old guy that does the torture rack and a lariat where he go "ho ho ho ho!!!" before hitting it. He's as old and broken down as Tenzan.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

the only interesting story or thing I know about earlier in Nakanishi's career, play both at same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPHJEiBaKE&t=150s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhXiCpQoWDo&t=2880s

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

taguchi looks like he's aged 20 years in that pic

This show starts at 3:00AM EST, right?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 20, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Who is that clownshoe challenging Kojima?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

weekly font posted:

Who is that clownshoe challenging Kojima?

He is the son of the less talented Brisco Brother and was one of the less talented members of Aces and Eights.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
I think Nakanishi is probably the most broken down on the NJPW roster at the moment.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
the Jr Tag, Jr Heavy, NEVER and IWGP matches should all be good. Yesterday's show was really good for a B show and has me hyped for this card. Shame about no tag titles match but I guess there's a dearth of decent challengers right now... which honestly seems to be a problem with most of the belts.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 20, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The entirety of 2014 feels like an increasingly elaborate rib on Kojima.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tonfa posted:

The entirety of 2014 feels like an increasingly elaborate rib on Kojima.

It's a shame Bruce Tharpe doesn't have any adequate wrestlers at his disposal other than Conway, I've unironically really enjoyed his work lately.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I hope Okada beats AJ :pray:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
That's not the same Honma from Big Japan back in the day, is it?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

yes

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
His back looks like a road map.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finished watching the Korakuen card, fun show that was definitely a couple notches better than most of the recent Korakuen build up shows. Worth checking out.

quote:

Just noticed this, it's kinda sad that the juniors are relegated to the background on the poster of their own goddamn tournament. I love NJPW and they're by far my favorite promotion right now, but I wish they'd do more with the division. It's not like they don't have some talent there, plus they can bring in guys from CMLL.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The juniors division feels like its been consolidated to just the tag team div.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRafTer posted:

He is the son of the less talented Brisco Brother and was one of the less talented members of Aces and Eights.

Oh.

:gonk:

I've always felt that all the major Japanese promotions having Heavy World/Tag and Light World/Tag titles waters down both divisions substantially but from what I understand Japan just doesn't buy Juniors moving up into the big ranks?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

weekly font posted:

but from what I understand Japan just doesn't buy Juniors moving up into the big ranks?
This isn't true at all. A lot of dojo graduates start out as juniors before they bulk up / move up the card. Naito and Goto off the top of my head ... poo poo, Makabe was a junior heavyweight in the late 90s.

If you want non-NJPW examples there's that Misawa guy, he did pretty well for himself.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fujinami was a huge star in the Jr. division before elevating up to the heavyweights. Also, Ohtani did okay making the transition.

That said, you obviously have to be a great talent, because Ohtani is the worst wrestler between him, Misawa and Fujinami, and he's no slouch.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Who are the up and coming Juniors in NJPW/Japan right now? Seems like there are more Foreigners in the junior division now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

AfterFather posted:

Who are the up and coming Juniors in NJPW/Japan right now? Seems like there are more Foreigners in the junior division now.

For NJPW: Well, the champ is Kota Ibushi, and he's loving spectacular. There's also Ryusuke Taguchi, who is pretty solid, and Kushida who is also good and has a tag team with Alex Shelley called Time Splitters. They also seem to be using the Young Bucks as singles sometimes. There's also TAICHI, who does a pretty boy gimmick and was TAKA's tag partner up until TAKA departing. He's not so great, but he gets heat. There's also Desperado, who seems quite good and was on a learning excursion in Mexico. He wears a cool mask. Up until recently there was also Prince Devitt. Past that, it's a lot of the guys who have been there for a while: Liger, Jado and Gedo, Rocky Romero etc.

Japan in general doesn't seem to have as much Jr. talent as it once did. Dragon Gate has a wealth of guys who are VERY good, though. Akira Tozawa, the Jimmyz (Susumu Mochizuki, KAGEtora,and Yasushi Kanda all going by the name, "Jimmy"), and Ryo Saito.

There's also Makoto Oishi, who I think can be a big star if he gets the stage to work on. He's a DDT talent. DDT is a very fun promotion if you're not already familiar. Think Chikara, but funnier and with considerably better homegrown talent.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 20, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

TAKA actually hasn't gone anywhere at least yet.

He didn't re-sign but is still around regularly, is booked for Dontaku and hell, MiSu himself is a freelancer.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
If you want to watch juniors in Japan, Dragon Gate is your promotion and Dragon Gate Infinity is your show.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Illinois Smith posted:

This isn't true at all. A lot of dojo graduates start out as juniors before they bulk up / move up the card. Naito and Goto off the top of my head ... poo poo, Makabe was a junior heavyweight in the late 90s.

If you want non-NJPW examples there's that Misawa guy, he did pretty well for himself.

Well this is kinda what I was referring to. Didn't Marafuji have to bulk up significantly before his GHC run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

weekly font posted:

Well this is kinda what I was referring to. Didn't Marafuji have to bulk up significantly before his GHC run?

To my understanding yes. He looked very different from 05 to 06 when he won the GHC title.

• Locked thread