Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Man who had huge meltdown about fat acceptance calling other people SJWs, tilting at windmills ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Wow, you sure saw through us, Adam Bowen. I am part of the secret SA SJW collective, and there are hidden codes in all my gamers.txt thread posts communicating with my SJW collective brethren. You have found out our HQ.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I think he's pointing out that SJW types are oddly fascinated with non-games like Dear Esther, Gone Home, and assorted Twine crap.

Tell us all about what is and isn't a game

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Those people are really, really funny. In fact, here's a quote from one:

Source: http://designislaw.tumblr.com/post/70292634713/the-allegiance-of-whiteness-the-games-village-of

On one hand, this guy is right in that B:I spends half the game showing white people painting minorities as a bunch of savages waiting to strike and murder us all, and then spends the second half painting minorities as a bunch of savages waiting to strike and murder us all. The truth is in the middle after all!

On the other hand,

quote:

intellectual giant Kanye West
sums up the crazy.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I think he's pointing out that SJW types are oddly fascinated with non-games like Dear Esther, Gone Home, and assorted Twine crap.

Define a game.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Adam Bowen posted:

I just enjoy the hysterical leftist wanna-be gender police acting like the far right morality police and attempting to exert influence over a medium that they know absolutely nothing about. Like the Parents Television Council or whatever the group was that tried to get D&D banned, since the SJWs don't enjoy video games (because they view them as "masculine" and hence driven by evil white, straight, cis-males) they are determined to destroy them. I'm not really upset because the more they shriek and flail their arms like toddlers, the faster their movement falls apart.

It's just too bad that there are real problems with gaming and gender that need to be addressed, but while the non-gamer gender police patrol the internet trying to bully everyone into submission they are actually driving people away from their cause. Game companies are starting to realize that for all the hysteria on tumblr, twitter, and web forums, these SJWs don't actually buy video games and all of their wailing has zero effect on game sales. If anything, they stir controversy that brings more attention to games with problematic messages.

Hello I am a feminist and that means I can't play games because they are masculine. It doesn't mean that the idea of an activity being masculine and thus excluding me is bad. Just that I cannot do it because I am a feminist. That is what feminism is. We seek to destroy everything masculine. One day everyone will be forced to wear dresses. Despite the fact that the big argument feminism teaches is that anyone should be free to do any thing without being represented as a horrible rare thing.

I will just go delete all my steam games because Adam Bowen is right and no feminist actually plays games, we just scream and screech.

You are a loving idiot.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like "what is a game" debates. They're cool and people learn a lot about game design through them, and they definitely don't scream at each other and not listen to anything the other party has to say.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Isn't Twine a puzzle physics platformer? How does that match with the other two?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Isn't Twine a puzzle physics platformer? How does that match with the other two?

Twine is basically something like Z-Machine IF with hyperlinks instead of a text parser. It's pretty cool.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I like "what is a game" debates. They're cool and people learn a lot about game design through them, and they definitely don't scream at each other and not listen to anything the other party has to say.

My favorite part is how the argument gradually gets broader until you're arguing that playing tag or jump rope at recess isn't actually a game because there was no goal.

It always happens.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Actual picture of Adam Bowen:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

KittyEmpress posted:

Hello I am a feminist and that means I can't play games because they are masculine. It doesn't mean that the idea of an activity being masculine and thus excluding me is bad. Just that I cannot do it because I am a feminist. That is what feminism is. We seek to destroy everything masculine. One day everyone will be forced to wear dresses. Despite the fact that the big argument feminism teaches is that anyone should be free to do any thing without being represented as a horrible rare thing.

I will just go delete all my steam games because Adam Bowen is right and no feminist actually plays games, we just scream and screech.

You are a loving idiot.

Did I use the word feminist at all? Can you read?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KittyEmpress posted:

You are a loving idiot.

Why do you hate men????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A game is something I like. Not-a-game is something other people like that I don't. I thought we were all clear on this definition by now. You guys should really keep up.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Pomp posted:

Why do you hate men????

Because the cis scum must die so I may rise and force them into dresses can't you read.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Adam Bowen posted:

Did I use the word feminist at all? Can you read?

ooh, nice, let's have a semantics argument for 5 pages! I love you!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Suspicious Dish posted:

My favorite part is how the argument gradually gets broader until you're arguing that playing tag or jump rope at recess isn't actually a game because there was no goal.

It always happens.

Categorizing things is cool and can lead to better understanding of whatever you're trying to define, IMO. It's a lot more useful than going "Everything is a game" and congratulating yourself for being inclusive.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah, which is why I'm definitely going to provide a sincere response to the posters above, who will definitely consider what I say from a neutral viewpoint, haha.

Supercar Gautier posted:

He's fairly directly saying that there's a large group of non-gaming "SJWs" besieging the industry from outside it in an attempt to destroy it. It's textbook gamers-crying-censorship.

I suppose it's easy to make this kind of mistake when all you have to go on is text on a screen, but I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating, using hyperbole for comedy purposes.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
In a few months Zynga is going to post an almost exact clone of Adam Bowen's post that will be much more popular and make more money.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I suppose it's easy to make this kind of mistake when all you have to go on is text on a screen, but I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating, using hyperbole for comedy purposes.

Well, you're right about one thing, the post was hyperbolic and funny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Categorizing things is cool and can lead to better understanding of whatever you're trying to define, IMO. It's a lot more useful than going "Everything is a game" and congratulating yourself for being inclusive.

To realtalk:

Trying to categorize "game" is silly because for a variety of reasons "video game" is now shorthand for any form of interactive electronic media. It doesn't matter if you're talking about Pong, The Walking Dead or Cut the Rope. There was an attempt back in the 90s to classify games structured after fiction instead of goal-oriented focused experiences as "interactive fiction" but it never caught on as much and pretty much anyone you talk to except the most pretentious of the pretentious uses game as an interchangable moniker.

The only time this division comes up is when people are trying to be exclusionary for something they dislike or in rare cases when someone is being absolutely pretentious as gently caress and trying to say that Bioshock Infinite isn't a GAME, it's ART. For 90% of conversation, trying to divide it by game/not-game is pointless and just poisons the well about any actual conversation that could be had.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

In a few months Zynga is going to post an almost exact clone of Adam Bowen's post that will be much more popular and make more money.
Yes but then King.com will sue them for including the term "SJW" because of their new original IP, Social Justice Saga.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Yeah, which is why I'm definitely going to provide a sincere response to the posters above, who will definitely consider what I say from a neutral viewpoint, haha.

I'm going to do this, op. It's going to be a hell of a thread.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Pomp posted:

Well, you're right about one thing, the post was hyperbolic and funny.

Yeah. It was a decent summation of SJWs, in my opinion.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm going to do this, op. It's going to be a hell of a thread.

Good luck, gamer.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Action Adventure

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

To realtalk:

Trying to categorize "game" is silly because for a variety of reasons "video game" is now shorthand for any form of interactive electronic media. It doesn't matter if you're talking about Pong, The Walking Dead or Cut the Rope. There was an attempt back in the 90s to classify games structured after fiction instead of goal-oriented focused experiences as "interactive fiction" but it never caught on as much and pretty much anyone you talk to except the most pretentious of the pretentious uses game as an interchangable moniker.

The only time this division comes up is when people are trying to be exclusionary for something they dislike or in rare cases when someone is being absolutely pretentious as gently caress and trying to say that Bioshock Infinite isn't a GAME, it's ART. For 90% of conversation, trying to divide it by game/not-game is pointless and just poisons the well about any actual conversation that could be had.

"Video game" is, in fact, colloquially shorthand for any interactive electronic media, but from a game design standpoint, this is like going to an entomologist and saying that "bug" is shorthand for anything small and insect-y, so spiders are bugs. You may think that people interested in game design are pretentious shits, but in my experience, the real pretentious shits are the people who think they can make something Art and Transcendent in the video game format despite not knowing poo poo about video games. Case in point: Ken Levine, who tried to cram serious themes in the framework of "shoot a bunch of people in the loving face". Some semblance of game design knowledge might have clued him into the idea that "shoot a bunch of people in the face" is not a framework that lends itself well to serious, thoughtful stories.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Could you maybe help us out and rewrite the post so it somehow isn't funny?

Adam Bowen posted:

I just enjoy the hysterical leftist wanna-be gender police acting like the far right morality police and attempting to exert influence over a medium that they know absolutely nothing about. Like the Parents Television Council or whatever the group was that tried to get D&D banned, since the SJWs don't enjoy video games (because they view them as "masculine" and hence driven by evil white, straight, cis-males) they are determined to destroy them. I'm not really upset because the more they shriek and flail their arms like toddlers, the faster their movement falls apart.

It's just too bad that there are real problems with gaming and gender that need to be addressed, but while the non-gamer gender police patrol the internet trying to bully everyone into submission they are actually driving people away from their cause. Game companies are starting to realize that for all the hysteria on tumblr, twitter, and web forums, these SJWs don't actually buy video games and all of their wailing has zero effect on game sales. If anything, they stir controversy that brings more attention to games with problematic messages.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

"Video game" is, in fact, colloquially shorthand for any interactive electronic media, but from a game design standpoint, this is like going to an entomologist and saying that "bug" is shorthand for anything small and insect-y, so spiders are bugs. You may think that people interested in game design are pretentious shits, but in my experience, the real pretentious shits are the people who think they can make something Art and Transcendent in the video game format despite not knowing poo poo about video games. Case in point: Ken Levine, who tried to cram serious themes in the framework of "shoot a bunch of people in the loving face". Some semblance of game design knowledge might have clued him into the idea that "shoot a bunch of people in the face" is not a framework that lends itself well to serious, thoughtful stories.

I don't think people who care about video game design are pretentious shits. I'd enjoy the discussion if it was a case of going "what defines a video game" instead of (as it frequently is) a case of "(x thing I dislike) isn't a REAL game and people who like it are trying to poison the well for us REAL GAMES" There's a reason I used Bioshock Infinite for that example.

I otherwise completely agree with you.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think people who care about video game design are pretentious shits. I'd enjoy the discussion if it was a case of going "what defines a video game" instead of (as it frequently is) a case of "(x thing I dislike) isn't a REAL game and people who like it are trying to poison the well for us REAL GAMES" There's a reason I used Bioshock Infinite for that example.

Those people are definitely dumb as poo poo, but unfortunately people who actually are interested in game/IF design have been swept up in it. It's an unfortunate situation IMO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Those people are definitely dumb as poo poo, but unfortunately people who actually are interested in game/IF design have been swept up in it. It's an unfortunate situation IMO.

Yeah, I agree completely. The well has been poisoned pretty thoroughly and it makes the discussion hard to have.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Yeah. It was a decent summation of SJWs, in my opinion.

Hahaha you think dumb teens from tumblr can actually influence the gaming industry. I'm not saying SJWs don't deserve to be mocked, but keep clinging to that boogeyman.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Suspicious Dish posted:

ooh, nice, let's have a semantics argument for 5 pages! I love you!

I don't believe that feminists and SJWs are that similar.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Equeen posted:

Hahaha you think dumb teens from tumblr can actually influence the gaming industry. I'm not saying SJWs don't deserve to be mocked, but keep clinging to that boogeyman.

Um, again, nobody has said this. Try reading the post again bud.

Adam Bowen posted:

Feminists presumably care about feminism, while SJWs are primarily interested in feeling superior to others and inflating their own egos.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Now thread, please excuse me while I get back to playing my favorite evil, straight, cis-male, masculine game, Tiny Tower

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I agree with you to a degree, but a lot of unbearable idiots get really upset when someones tries to handle serious themes in a manner that doesn't involve killing dudes or >use FORK on MOP.

edit:Apparently we completely agree on this.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Pomp posted:

I agree with you to a degree, but a lot of unbearable idiots get really upset when someones tries to handle serious themes in a manner that doesn't involve killing dudes or >use FORK on MOP.

There are people who like to laugh when people who are very poor at writing and design try to hamfistedly write about serious themes in interactive media.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Every bad post in RPS Comments Section, Circa 2014 posted:

There are people who like to laugh when people who are very poor at writing and design try to hamfistedly write about serious themes in interactive media.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pomp posted:

edit:Apparently we completely agree on this.

I have said it in the past, but I'll say it again- I don't think the biggest problem with game writing is people trying to write serious stories, I think it's people trying to cram serious stories into game formats that are horribly unsuited for those stories.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Adam Bowen posted:

Says every goon until they say something that makes them uncomfortable, or just flat out disagree with, then they're just another crazy SJW.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wow. You sure turned that around on me. Nice one. It's almost like I am the gamers.txt, haha, I bet nobody's used that zinger yet.

Pomp posted:

Says every goon until they say something that makes them uncomfortable, or just flat out disagree with, then they're just another crazy SJW.

Not really, good strawman though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Wow. You sure turned that around on me. Nice one. It's almost like I am the gamers.txt, haha, I bet nobody's used that zinger yet.

Source your quotes. Haha. Just ribbing you.

• Locked thread