Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KoldPT posted:

I think it helps that Jason Rohrer is a pretty hosed up man.

He does not come across well in interviews. He is weird and maybe autistic. Nevertheless, the criticisms of the game which claimed it as an endorsement of castle doctrine law have a huge case of "didn't-actually-play-the-game-itis".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Pomp posted:

Game stories are terrible because our AAA writers are obsessed with shallow action movie schlock, and the amateurs trying to push outside of that (with varying degrees of success) get harassed out of the industry or ignored in favor of the new super deep story about shooting man.

They are being ignored or harassed because their efforts are universally bad. Writing quality aside, good gameplay is almost always nowhere to be found in these games.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

He does not come across well in interviews. He is weird and maybe autistic. Nevertheless, the criticisms of the game which claimed it as an endorsement of castle doctrine law have a huge case of "didn't-actually-play-the-game-itis".

The weird banned SJW guy is really really obsessed with this game.

http://designislaw.tumblr.com/post/74250711921/satisfying-my-murderboner-surviving-jason-rohrers

quote:

This poo poo would be so hilarious in it’s stupidly if it wasn’t so respected by academic critics like Frank Lantz, another white dude. Is this what games as a community are becoming? An arms race to who is the most out of touch and delusional white dude, unable to engage with the reality of the world outside of terms of engagement centered around their supremacy?

Ken Levine and his murderboner magnum opus Infinite, John Carmack’s unironic endorsement of libertarian ideology, David Jaffe’s crusade against political correctness in defense of the industry’s rampant sexual harassment problem, and now Jason Rorher’s murderboner simulator making him, in Frank Lantz, Director of the New York University Game Center’s eyes, “one of the most interesting game designers alive.”

This onslaught of headlines is really begging the question none of us really want to ask, but I think it’s worth putting out there. How the hell are games ever going to move forward, and be widely accepted as an artistic medium whilst they struggle under this out-of-touch, borderline sociopathic, and quite frankly delusional white male stranglehold?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fag Boy Jim posted:

He is weird and maybe autistic.

Gamers.txt

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

"STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!"/ Gardevoir Pokemon Slavery Game

Source:

:nws: http://www.otakubell.com/smw/index.php/V3:Gardevoir :nws:

quote:

Gardevoir is one of the Slaves that you can train in the game. Firstly captured to hypnotize people for her trainer, she refused to do so. Her trainer decided to entrust her to you to teach her who is the master.

quote:

Gardevoir Latex Dress
A tight dress to learn her to obey.
Blowjobs +5
Constitution +5
loving +5
Lust +5
Nymphomania +5
Obedience +2
Conversation -2
Intelligence -2
Temperament -2
Slutty

Energy Ball Jellicent was always better than Gardevoir anyways. Joke's on them :smug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The image of a lily-white game designer living in such perpetual fear of urbans that he vents his impotent terror into a videogame is pretty loving funny.

White people who live in poor neighborhoods tend to be worried about crime. There are many reasons why this happens, but I do not think it is particularly interesting to go, "They are racist for having these feelings", and move on. In fact, encouraging exploration of these feelings (perhaps, for instance, by engaging with them in the act of making a video game) can help one recognize the cultural factors that have taught them to fear living in poor neighborhoods, and reject the factors that are based on racist views.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Absolutely, and if you do, it's good to not call your critics racists or sexists.

SOURCE YOUR QUOTES!! LMAO!!

You people are Wormtongues to Kewpus' Theoden.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

boo_radley posted:

You people are Wormtongues to Kewpus' Theoden.

Source your quotes.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fag Boy Jim posted:

White people who live in poor neighborhoods tend to be worried about crime.

So do black people and asians. Your point?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Widestancer posted:

So do black people and asians. Your point?

I was responding to someone who specifically brought up the comedic image of a white person living in a poor neighborhood being concerned about crime. AKA the white guy who locks his car door in the 7-Eleven when a black guy walks buy.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Widestancer posted:

"STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!"/ Gardevoir Pokemon Slavery Game

Source:

:nws: http://www.otakubell.com/smw/index.php/V3:Gardevoir :nws:

Energy Ball Jellicent was always better than Gardevoir anyways. Joke's on them :smug:

Slavemaker is a fan hentai parody of the game 'Princess Maker'. You are a slave trainer in the kingdom of Mioya. You are contracted to train a girl to become the ideal slave. She will be trained in many fields but sex is a significant part of the training. Each girl has a training time before she is turned over to her owner and in that time you need to try have maximize her abilities.
There are dresses and other items that help this, and also potions of various effects. Part of the interest in the game can be learning what these things do and where they can be found.
The girls are various characters from anime and games, their personalities will be similar but not identical to their source. Also note for this game they are all 18 or older (despite the occasional school uniform you may see).
Some more extreme hentai elements are in this game, including bondage, rape, ponygirls, tentacles and dickgirls. All of these hentai elements can be disabled from the Options menu.
Also note this is fan or doujin game, so is not for sale in any way. My apologies to the original copyright holders and artists. No offense is intended.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Kewpuh please make source your quotes probatable (not retroactively though because i'm guilty of it too) thanks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KoldPT posted:

Kewpuh please make source your quotes probatable (not retroactively though because i'm guilty of it too) thanks

I think it would be cool if this thread turned into people yelling "source your quotes" at each other like insane parrots.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I was responding to someone who specifically brought up the comedic image of a white person living in a poor neighborhood being concerned about crime. AKA the white guy who locks his car door in the 7-Eleven when a black guy walks buy.

It is pretty comedic though. I've lived in some pretty lovely areas and have had some white neighbors who stockpiled guns because of crime in the area. When they got burglarized and their gun safe carted off it was kinda funny to be honest. Kinda put a dent in their argument that they absolutely needed to have that pre '86 MAC sitting in the safe for "security".

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I think it would be cool if this thread turned into people yelling "source your quotes" at each other like insane parrots.

Same.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Widestancer posted:

It is pretty comedic though. I've lived in some pretty lovely areas and have had some white neighbors who stockpiled guns because of crime in the area. When they got burglarized and their gun safe carted off it was kinda funny to be honest. Kinda put a dent in their argument that they absolutely needed to have that pre '86 MAC sitting in the safe for "security".

Agreed and there absolutely is a racial element to it. The issue is complex enough that I just don't think it's particularly useful to just conclude that anyone who has these feelings is racist and leave it at that. I don't know if that's clear.

This also has nothing to do with game design, lol.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 21, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

source your quotes

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pomp posted:

source your quotes

source yours SIR/MADAM/RESPECTFUL EGALITARIAN ADDRESS

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nice strawman.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Nice strawman.

Oh for sure man

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

They are being ignored or harassed because their efforts are universally bad. Writing quality aside, good gameplay is almost always nowhere to be found in these games.

When Zoe Quinn put her game (Depression Quest) on greenlight there were people who dug up her phone number and masturbated into the phone. That wasn't even a Phil Fish situation where she said some dumb stuff, there was a targeted harassment campaign directed at her just for putting her game on steam. That doesn't happen just because the gameplay or writing is bad.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Again, gonna ask the thread: does anybody know of a good game with an interesting story and good sense of gameplay?

I asked in the Recommend a game thread a while back, and they told me "Half-Life 2". Have we really got nothing better since 2004?

Papers Please did neat things with story and gameplay being intertwined. I'd also say Chibi Robo but it's been years since I've played that game and maybe it's not as good as I remember.

Anyway have more Miiverse screen caps because I think they're funny.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Unyeah" is the coolest word ever invented.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Time for some gamers.txt from the other side of the gender divide: "Girl's guide to the 10 hottest videogame studs"

Source:

http://thephoenix.com/boston/recroom/73359-girls-guide-to-10-hottest-videogame-studs/

quote:

2. Alex Shepherd from Silent Hill: Homecoming

If you've played through SH:HC you'll know why this is 10 millions kinds of hosed up.

quote:

his is a terrible list. Obviously you don't play that many video games. What about the lead from Mass Effect. Or the lead from the Fable series.

At any rate, these aren't very manly men studs, just a bunch of guys who look like girls.

This list doesn't include Sephiroth so real fangirls need not apply :colbert:

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Agreed and there absolutely is a racial element to it. The issue is complex enough that I just don't think it's particularly useful to just conclude that anyone who has these feelings is racist and leave it at that. I don't know if that's clear.

This also has nothing to do with game design, lol.

Locking the door because a black dude walks by does make you a racist shithead and the whole "They are racist for having these feelings", they most likely are if they have some weird fear of black(clutching purses, locking doors and/or walking over to the other sidewalk) and such fears can lead to deadly encounters(Trayvon Marvin for example).

All this race talk reminded me of the release of Resident Evil 5, now that was some source hilarious gamers.txt.

http://www.destructoid.com/n-gai-croal-comments-on-re5-trailer-but-all-we-see-is-another-capcom-hit-80891.phtml

Old but gold.

JACK of No Trades posted:

People that point out racism usually are racist themselves.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Suspicious Dish posted:

My favorite games are Super Mario World, Spelunky, Just Cause 2 and Katamari Damacy. None of those have a story in any way. I certainly don't think a story is required to make a compelling game, I was just curious if any game had done it.
I assume you've played games other than those four in the past 20 years, right? Plenty of games have a good story and good gameplay, more now than ever before. What games mostly suck at is integrating story and gameplay. Most games, whether their stories are bad or good or perfunctory, segregate completely by having story happen in non-interactive cut-scenes (or worse, quick time events). Hell, Gone Home isn't novel in its approach--it tells its story the same way that Metroid Prime does--you find audio and written logs while exploring a creepy location where you are isolated and have no allies.

The important thing to take away is that nobody is trying to destroy the loving games industry, misoginy within the gaming industry will destroy it twice before crazy SJWs on their tumblrs make a dent, and if you can't take (or block out) criticism of your hobby from Leftists or Feminists or whatever the boogeyman of the week is then you deserve to be mocked in this thread as much as CisScumPwner64 does.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

"It's okay to harass people when they make a game that isn't a game." - Forums Poster Zog-Fot-Pik

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is it OK to harass Ken Levine? I think it is.

Doc Neutral posted:

Locking the door because a black dude walks by does make you a racist shithead and the whole "They are racist for having these feelings", they most likely are if they have some weird fear of black(clutching purses, locking doors and/or walking over to the other sidewalk) and such fears can lead to deadly encounters(Trayvon Marvin for example).

Yeah agreed. FWIW the specific example was just talking about general anxiety over living in a poor neighborhood, not something as dumb as, you know, Walking Across The Street To Avoid Black People Guy.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 21, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Pomp posted:

"It's okay to harass people when they make a game that isn't a game." - Forums Poster Zog-Fot-Pik

I can't believe someone might be mean to me online because I made a bad game.

Hog Inspector posted:

When Zoe Quinn put her game (Depression Quest) on greenlight there were people who dug up her phone number and masturbated into the phone. That wasn't even a Phil Fish situation where she said some dumb stuff, there was a targeted harassment campaign directed at her just for putting her game on steam. That doesn't happen just because the gameplay or writing is bad.

Of course, there are your hosed up weirdos too.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Chaltab posted:

I assume you've played games other than those four in the past 20 years, right? Plenty of games have a good story and good gameplay, more now than ever before. What games mostly suck at is integrating story and gameplay. Most games, whether their stories are bad or good or perfunctory, segregate completely by having story happen in non-interactive cut-scenes (or worse, quick time events). Hell, Gone Home isn't novel in its approach--it tells its story the same way that Metroid Prime does--you find audio and written logs while exploring a creepy location where you are isolated and have no allies.

The important thing to take away is that nobody is trying to destroy the loving games industry, misoginy within the gaming industry will destroy it twice before crazy SJWs on their tumblrs make a dent, and if you can't take (or block out) criticism of your hobby from Leftists or Feminists or whatever the boogeyman of the week is then you deserve to be mocked in this thread as much as CisScumPwner64 does.

One thing that has been buggering me for a while is why do big AAA devs who are losing loads of money(Square Enix) continously target a small(and very vocal) market base namely the adolescent male when women who make up around 45% of gamers aren't target at all, it's like they don't want womens money.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

"Unyeah" is the coolest word ever invented.

Yeah!!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Doc Neutral posted:

One thing that has been buggering me for a while is why do big AAA devs who are losing loads of money(Square Enix) continously target a small(and very vocal) market base namely the adolescent male when women who make up around 45% of gamers aren't target at all, it's like they don't want womens money.
I don't think Square Enix of all people are guilty of tageting only male gamers. Final Fantasy has a huge fanbase of women (E.G. the aforementioned Sephiroth fangirls), as does Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. Unless you mean their subsidiaries like Eidos, in which case... your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they think Tomb Raider gives them enough feminist cred to be horrible with their Hitman advertising.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Not sure if it's TRUE and HONEST gamers.txt but the John Fitch drop from UFC over video game licensing has made for some suitably hilarious 'roid fueled comments.

Source:

http://www.cagepotato.com/total-horseshit-jon-fitch-dropped-from-ufc-over-video-game-licensing/

The article itself is fueled with enough testosterone rage to give everyone at returnofkings.com painful erections but the real beauty is in the comments:

quote:

Some guy wants my take on it another jackoff thinks I am tuf gay, wow that hurts.
My take on this is : I was gonna buy the game.......now? gently caress that dana can kiss my rear end, all this poo poo over a video game? thats crazy poo poo DW, and I want no part of it.
NOW you dumb gently caress (DW), now you feed the monster known as affliction, and maybe you just gave it a reason to stay alive, cause NOW, if John fights for them, I am going to watch it dumbfuck white.
I still think UFC is the best, but this move needs to be overturned by the fertita's.
none of these forum assclowns could ever embarrass me the way Dana just did.

quote:

"these fucks aren't partners with us gently caress em" they're not if they were youd split proffits fifty fifty with them i think the fighters get 10%-15% right now. i smell a union coming.
I'm sure that union will go well. Make sure to bring enough 'dro to stave off the rage.

quote:

It’s a business you morons. Who the hell does Fitch think he is? Well I’ll tell you who he is now. A nobody. There you go buddy, you wanted to make money of your figurines and baby dolls instead of showing some good faith and do something for your company, well here you go, good luck finding a job with that mashed brain of yours. See you soon puring me a new driveway.
:allears:

If only E-sports could be professional like REAL SPORTS!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Neutral posted:

The prevailing "wisdom" in comics, cartoons and video games marketing is that women don't spend as much money as men, and that's about the full extent of it.

edit: Example in the cancellation of Young Justice

quote:

Dini goes on to mention how the Young Justice stories were much more teenager-oriented but the trend is to hit younger audiences with the newer shows. He said, “They’re all for the boys, we do not want the girls! I mean, I’ve heard executives say this, you know, not where I am but at other places, saying like, ‘We do not want girls watching these shows.” When Smith pointed out that was a strange move because, well, women are 51% of the population, Dini said, “They don’t buy toys. The girls buy different toys.”

True, most “girls” don’t buy “boy” toys and there’s a much longer history as to why that happens which I won’t bother delving into here, but as Smith next pointed out – aren’t there other merchandising options to make money from the “girls” market?

quote:

Smith: You can sell them T-shirts if they don’t—A: I disagree, I think girls buy toys as well, maybe not as many as loving boys do, but, B: sell them something else, man! Don’t be lazy and be like, ‘well I can’t sell a girl a toy.’ Sell ‘em a t-shirt, man, sell them loving umbrella with the loving character on it, something like that. But if it’s not a toy, there’s something else you could sell ‘em! Like, just because you can’t figure out your job, don’t kill chances of, like, something that’s gonna reach an audi—that’s, it’s just so self-defeating, when people go, like… these are the same fuckers who go, like, ‘Oh, girls don’t read comics, girls aren’t into comics.’ It’s all self-fulfilling prophecies. They just make it that way, by going like, ‘I can’t sell ‘em a toy, what’s the point?’

Dini: That’s the thing, you know I hate being Mr. Sour Grapes here, but I’ll just lay it on the line: that’s the thing that got us cancelled on Tower Prep, honest-to-God was, it’s like, ‘we need boys, but we need girls right there, right one step behind the boys’—this is the network talking—’one step behind the boys, not as smart as the boys, not as interesting as boys, but right there.’ And then we began writing stories that got into the two girls’ back stories, and they were really interesting. And suddenly we had families and girls watching, and girls really became a big part of our audience, in sort of like they picked up that Harry Potter type of serialized way, which is what The Batman in boarding school [?] is really gonna kill. But, the Cartoon Network was saying, ‘gently caress no, we want the boys’ action, it’s boys’ action, this goofy boy humor we’ve gotta get that in there. And we can’t—’ and I’d say, but look at the numbers, we’ve got parents watching, with the families, and then when you break it down—’Yeah, but the—so many—we’ve got too many girls. We need more boys.’

SMITH: That’s heart-breaking.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 21, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pomp posted:

The prevailing "wisdom" in comics, cartoons and video games marketing is that women don't spend as much money as men, and that's about the full extent of it.

How are they missing the mountains of money that manchildren's moms are paying into gaming?

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Chaltab posted:

I don't think Square Enix of all people are guilty of tageting only male gamers. Final Fantasy has a huge fanbase of women (E.G. the aforementioned Sephiroth fangirls), as does Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest. Unless you mean their subsidiaries like Eidos, in which case... your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they think Tomb Raider gives them enough feminist cred to be horrible with their Hitman advertising.

Yeah to be fair that's kinda true but I was thinking more in the line of games like Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution not making the sales target, and by targeting I don't mean those godawful and condescending "girls games" but something along the line of more women protaginsts(strong, weak or whatever), multiplayer games like shooters having male and female options(it not being the standard is ludicrous) and so and so forth because right now it's kind of an untapped market who's mostly(if I'm wrong please correct me) playing facebook and mobile game also more women playing AAA games means more diverse choices and in turn might change the stagnating poop that is mountain doritos shooters.

Doc Neutral fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 21, 2014

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Widestancer posted:

How are they missing the mountains of money that manchildren's moms are paying into gaming?

Honestly things aren't much better even when they do realize that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BqkPm0owi4

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Did you know that the fleshlight forums have video game threads? After checking around for gamers.txt I do :negative:

Source:

:nws: https://forums.fleshlight.com/forumdisplay.php?239-Men-s-Lounge :nws:

quote:

pps I love talkin poo poo in game as well, I think it makes me play better since I am not running around dying, but instead getting like 20 killstreaks, calling heli 20 ks etc etc If I run and gun/stab Ill have a poo poo kill/death ratio but it will still be 4/5:1 I constantly get kicked during the day by admins in the server for talking poo poo on religion, abortion, society, war, government, drugs... mmm drugs. I just consider as I do here, an adult playground where all topics should be discussed, and if you cant handle it grow the gently caress up and read and take some lsd or pot and open your mind.... thats my advice anyway

quote:

I dont really like 3d generated models, like lara croft and WoW characters. But i love anime and hentai. Anime versions of the Final Fantasy characters is awesome as well. I remember when i was like 11 or 12, someone gave me a floppy disk with few pictures on it. Some of them were of Ariel from the little mermaid by Disney, gently caress i had never been so happy.

There are threads where dudes are exchanging gamertags, steam names, whatever. Normal stuff. Just, you know, on a forum dedicated to a small rubber device you stick your dick into because your wife left you 10 years ago :negative:

BUT NO HOMO DUDE. NO HOMO.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
This might be my new favorite URL on the internet. Thanks Widestancer

https://forums.fleshlight.com/showthread.php?33485-Bioshock-Bioshock-2-and-Bioshock-Infinite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Near that thread there is another titled "after 26 years I am FINALLY getting pegged!". Seems oddly appropriate given the proximity to BioShock Infinite.

• Locked thread