Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Angry Diplomat posted:

Stone Giants can show up in there? :stare: I don't think I've ever seen that happen. I mean, you get all kinds of nasty fuckers like Orc Sorcerers/High Priests/Warlords/uniques and Ogre Mages and stuff, and I believe I've encountered Hill Giants down there, but never Stone Giants.

They can, I saw one this game, along with cyclops...es. Cyclopes. I don't know. It was like Orc 4: Large Rock Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Currently, I am impressed by how monstrous a Minotaur fighter of Cheibriados is. Cleared Lair, and the only really threatening thing was a herd of death yaks.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Prism posted:

They can, I saw one this game, along with cyclops...es. Cyclopes. I don't know. It was like Orc 4: Large Rock Edition.

Both of these are correct!

Kikka posted:

Currently, I am impressed by how monstrous a Minotaur fighter of Cheibriados is. Cleared Lair, and the only really threatening thing was a herd of death yaks.
Chei makes it so that it's rarely necessary to back down from a fight, which is good because he largely limits your ability to do so.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 22, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Aren't ettins scarier than stone giants? I guess stone giants are harder to kill but ettin damage seems really spiky.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jeffrey posted:

Aren't ettins scarier than stone giants? I guess stone giants are harder to kill but ettin damage seems really spiky.
Ettins don't have large rocks but yeah in melee ettins do like 2d60 damage with GSCs it's crazy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ettins are really clumsy and have no ranged attacks whatsoever, so I don't find them nearly as scary as stone giants. If an Ettin shows up early you can safely kill it via a thousand poisoned needles. Stone giants on the other hand will throw a rock right into your face if you stay in LOS. Ettins do have the potential for massive amounts of damage though, so if they get lucky suddenly your entire health bar is gone!

Kikka posted:

Cheibriados is an awesome god who turns you into an unstoppable juggernaut...right up until you finally find something you can't kill. Then you realize you're kind of hosed. Of course, you can always abuse slouch and step from time if things get really dicey.

The most fun I had with Chei was actually a High Elf archer. I was basically a turret, slowly marching up the rooms of enemies and then gunning them down before they could even get in melee range. Being slow isn't such a big deal when nothing can reach you in the first place. Naturally I augmented my character with a lot of translocations spells and buffs so against anything I couldn't kill with one volley, I could just blink to a new position and resume the barrage.

It was basically like playing as a mega imp.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trog gifted this to me on D:4
:smug:

(That's good, right? I know a great mace is what I should be looking for but at least I can use my +1 shield of protection with that!)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, it is. Eveningstar is the strongest mace you can wield one-handed. The brand's a bit lackluster but I wouldn't say no to the resists it provides.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eveningstars are pretty much the best 1-hand mace, and those stats are pretty drat good. Venom isn't as great as it could be, but it's also not bad.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Eveningstars are pretty much the best 1-hand mace, and those stats are pretty drat good. Venom isn't as great as it could be, but it's also not bad.

Better or worse than demon whips? Oka handed me an electrified demon whip and it just tears everything up, but if eveningstars are an upgrade I will keep an eye out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's a hard question to answer. Eveningstars have more base damage but attack with 0.7 delay, demon whips get down to 0.5 delay. The more slaying/damage added per hit, the more things will tilt in favor of the demon whip. A demon whip of electrocution with good enchantment is certainly a contender for best one-handed weapon in the game.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ctNwdO8KoM

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

PleasingFungus posted:

The spell?

(Did you mean 'scroll'?)

yes. Also, I need to make those informative posts with more proofreading and maybe some wizlab testing and sleep.

Edit: I totally mangled that. Lesser is not "At Least" or greater even. https://loom.shalott.org/learndb.html

scroll of recharging
When used on a wand, refills a varying number of charges. When used on a rod, will increase the rod's enchantment by 1d2, restore the rod's power, and add 1d2 magic points to its limit, up to 17.
Wand limits: invis, heal, haste, fireball, tele: 9; lightning, drain: 12; fire, cold: 15; other: 24. Note that these limits apply to recharging only, not starting values. One scroll will add to # of charges between 1 and two less than the maximum number of charges, weighted to the middle of the distribution.
Recharging a wand sets the charges to the lesser of x*3 or charges+1+random2avg(((x-1)*3)+1,3), where charges is the current number of charges and x is 3 for invis/fball/tele/heal/haste, 4 for lightning/drain, 5 for fire/cold, and 8 for others.
"lesser of", is not "least of".

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 22, 2014

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Do you guys mind if I steal these for the screenshots page?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jeffrey posted:

It's a hard question to answer. Eveningstars have more base damage but attack with 0.7 delay, demon whips get down to 0.5 delay. The more slaying/damage added per hit, the more things will tilt in favor of the demon whip. A demon whip of electrocution with good enchantment is certainly a contender for best one-handed weapon in the game.

Evening stars also have 80% weighting towards STR, while demon whips only have 20%. You probably want to aim for whichever weapon benefits from your stats the most.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jeffrey posted:

It is +10, +2. Okawaru really wanted to make sure I hit (his next gift was armor with +Accuracy on it - boots I think, I am not at home and can't check here). It came with +0 damage but I dropped a scroll on it.

Since I do use shields I guess I should never drop this thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Evening stars also have 80% weighting towards STR, while demon whips only have 20%. You probably want to aim for whichever weapon benefits from your stats the most.

This is murky too - it's not as simple as it looks. At max str weight, dex isn't counted at all, at max dex weight, str and dex count equally. It's complicated enough that I generally choose to ignore it in favor of other factors, not sure how often it should really sway one's decision.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cool, just had a greater naga resist like 5 banishment attempts in a row, then hit me for 41 damage the turn I read a tp scroll. God dammit :cripes:

That's three characters I've lost in the lair branches this tournament. I just need one more win but I keep loving up.

Jeffrey posted:

This is murky too - it's not as simple as it looks. At max str weight, dex isn't counted at all, at max dex weight, str and dex count equally. It's complicated enough that I generally choose to ignore it in favor of other factors, not sure how often it should really sway one's decision.

Its complicated but in the end it simply means this; an eveningstar is better for characters with high STR and a demon whip is better for characters with high DEX. Obviously there are other important factors, but if for example you had to make your own endgame weapon via enchanting scrolls and had to choose between the two you'd want to go with the one that favors your stats.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Is it worth dropping some skill into bows for the +8/+8 bow of Krishna {speed, Dex+3, sInv}? A +8/+8 bow of speed seems pretty great, but it's not a long bow, and I hadn't really planned on picking up bows at all. I'm a HOFi, so my aptitude isn't terrible (-1) and it might be nice to have ranged options outside of a pile of evocables. If I do go into bows, what's a good amount of skill to get it usable?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'd absolutely keep that thing and train Bows up a bit; it'll be extremely handy for softening enemies up, and the egos on it are pretty sweet. Ranged weapon speed and damage (and really everything) are complicated as gently caress for some goddamn reason, but it's generally understood that your stats are Very Important; as a Hill Orc you'll have good Strength, so just throw whatever points you can spare in Bows and you'll probably be golden. It's not like you're using it as your main form of attack.

Prism posted:

It is +10, +2. Okawaru really wanted to make sure I hit (his next gift was armor with +Accuracy on it - boots I think, I am not at home and can't check here). It came with +0 damage but I dropped a scroll on it.

Since I do use shields I guess I should never drop this thing.

Okawaru's weapon gifts heavily weight towards high accuracy bonuses, while Trog does the same for damage. It's a neat little thematic distinction - the deity of valor and prowess in arms favours finely-balanced, precise weapons, while the deity of rage and violence prefers big, brutal, destructive ones.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 22, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Not My Leg posted:

Is it worth dropping some skill into bows for the +8/+8 bow of Krishna {speed, Dex+3, sInv}? A +8/+8 bow of speed seems pretty great, but it's not a long bow, and I hadn't really planned on picking up bows at all. I'm a HOFi, so my aptitude isn't terrible (-1) and it might be nice to have ranged options outside of a pile of evocables. If I do go into bows, what's a good amount of skill to get it usable?

It actually is a long bow! I would generally prefer to boost evocations but if you're not happy with your selection then Krishna is an excellent choice.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Cool, just had a greater naga resist like 5 banishment attempts in a row, then hit me for 41 damage the turn I read a tp scroll. God dammit :cripes:

That's three characters I've lost in the lair branches this tournament. I just need one more win but I keep loving up.

Its complicated but in the end it simply means this; an eveningstar is better for characters with high STR and a demon whip is better for characters with high DEX. Obviously there are other important factors, but if for example you had to make your own endgame weapon via enchanting scrolls and had to choose between the two you'd want to go with the one that favors your stats.
It would take an extreme difference in dex and str to overcome a modest difference in weapon enchantment and brand. You almost always want the "better weapon" independent of your stats.

For the record, since I think someone misstated it earlier, strength weighting works like this:

a 0% strength weight gives equal weight to strength and dex when determining stat-based bonus damage
a 50% strength weight gives three times as much value to strength as to dex (75%/25%) for damage
a 100% strength weight considers only strength for damage

a 0% strength weight considers only dex when determining stat-based bonus accuracy
a 50% strength weight weapon gives three times as much value to dex as to strength (75%/25%) for accuracy
a 100% strength weight weapon gives equal weight to strength and dexterity for accuracy

kaschei fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Not My Leg posted:

I think it actually is a longbow, or at least that's what the wiki says. Check if it's 6 base damage or 3. It's probably not quite as good as a high-enchanted longbow of velocity, or piercer, but it's definitely something to consider.

Capt. Allah
Aug 17, 2004
loving gently caress! gently caress!

First time getting 15 runes, grab the orb and run upstairs. No problems till I get to Depths:1 and then the RNG decides to drop 3 Pan lords on top of the only exit.

GOD DAMMIT.

Welp there goes 20 hours of my life.

code:
1428075 freej the Conqueror (level 27, -6/225 (249) HPs)
             Began as a Merfolk Gladiator on Apr 18, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Mangled by an Orb Guardian (21 damage)
             ... on Level 1 of the Depths on Apr 22, 2014.
             The game lasted 19:53:20 (125011 turns).

freej the Conqueror (Merfolk Gladiator)           Turns: 125011, Time: 19:53:21

HP  -6/225 (249) AC 20     Str 20      XL: 27
MP   0/51        EV 31     Int 18 (20) God: Okawaru [******]
Gold 10685       SH  0     Dex 16      Spells: 14 memorised,  6 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     V - +6,+8 glaive (holy)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     u - +4 moon troll leather armour {Spirit, MP+5 Regen}
rNeg   . . .     Conserve +     (no shield)
rPois  .         rCorr    +     r - +2 helmet {Int+3}
rElec  .         rRot     .     e - +2 cloak {rCorr, Cons}
SustAb . .       Spirit   +     w - +2 pair of gloves "Icvis" {MR+ Str+1}
rMut   +         Warding  .     X - +1 pair of boots of Tamogett {Str+2 Acc+4}
Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     L - amulet of resist mutation
MR     +++..                    Y - ring "Pnuty" {Hunger- rF++ Dex+2 Dam+5}
                                p - ring "Smageuruma" {rC++ Dam+5 SInv Stlth++}

@: deflect missiles, about to teleport, very slightly contaminated, extremely
resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: change form in water, swift swim, clumsy 1
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 15/15 runes: barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian, icy, bone,
abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark, gossamer

You were on level 1 of the Depths.
You worshipped Okawaru.
Okawaru was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 19 branches of the dungeon, and saw 100 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 3 times, and saw 34 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 3 times.
You also visited: Labyrinth (2 times), Bailey and Ice Cave.

You collected 16689 gold pieces.
You spent 6004 gold pieces at shops.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think speed out-damages velocity on a per-time basis although it does chew through arrows faster (since you shoot more of them).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

kaschei posted:

I think speed out-damages velocity on a per-time basis although it does chew through arrows faster (since you shoot more of them).

I guess that'd be a good one to test, especially with the speed brand changes. I don't think running out of arrows faster is a huge problem, though I guess that depends on getting a good amount of elemental arrow drops.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Did they change the speed brand on ranged weapons? I was under the impression that since it's only on unrandarts IIRC that it was left untouched while they were reworking it on melee weapons.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

megane posted:

Do you guys mind if I steal these for the screenshots page?

Hey sure. That's cool. Here's a less-cropped one if you want to change how I did it or something.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

Did they change the speed brand on ranged weapons? I was under the impression that since it's only on unrandarts IIRC that it was left untouched while they were reworking it on melee weapons.

Oh no idea, I had just assumed.

EDIT: Looks like it, apparently the speed brand on launchers was already 2/3 so it was just a matter of removing the damage penalty:
http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=411bbedfe50ed36ed9394081bbcc659d93ebc5cb

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 22, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Capt. Allah posted:

loving gently caress! gently caress!

First time getting 15 runes, grab the orb and run upstairs. No problems till I get to Depths:1 and then the RNG decides to drop 3 Pan lords on top of the only exit.

GOD DAMMIT.

Welp there goes 20 hours of my life.

I'm surprised you stuck with Okawaru for the endgame instead of switching to like Makhleb or TSO. I assume you wanted to keep the stacking for Haste + Finesse for maximum damage output?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Brannock posted:

I'm surprised you stuck with Okawaru for the endgame instead of switching to like Makhleb or TSO. I assume you wanted to keep the stacking for Haste + Finesse for maximum damage output?

Haste + Finesse is the exact same as Finesse for the purposes of hitting dudes with swords. Obviously different for the purposes of Getting Out of Dodge.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

The higher your skill and the higher the enemy's AC the better the eveningstar gets, except that there's usually enough more demon whips on a given run that you just might manage to get a better brand on one or simply use a scroll of branding to get a decent one.

Jeffrey posted:

I guess that'd be a good one to test, especially with the speed brand changes. I don't think running out of arrows faster is a huge problem, though I guess that depends on getting a good amount of elemental arrow drops.

The big difference is that speed bows actually stack with elemental ammo while velocity bows don't appear to. Though it's entirely possible that I'm wrong there, the ranged code is a gigantic mess and I'm tired of trying to figure it out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hey sure. That's cool. Here's a less-cropped one if you want to change how I did it or something.

Hahaa, you didn't say they were titan simulacra!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

Um... you know Greater Nagas are IMMUNE to hostile enchantments, right? Don't try to banish them.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jeffrey posted:

I don't think running out of arrows will be a problem. I haven't shot any arrows all game, so they should be lying all over the place. Also, thanks to everyone who pointed out it was a longbow, I just took a quick glance and then forgot.

Looks like I'll be training bows for a little while, then hopefully getting my first tournament win. I already have three runes, so it's just a matter of deciding when I want to take on Zot (and whether I want to die going for 15 runes again). I have three runes because I wisely decided to do Slime before I even entered Vaults. This is a pro move and not a terrible idea in every way (it is a really terrible idea). I thought I would try it because I had AC near 50, all artifact gear (no corrosion), inherent clarity, rMut and Stasis amulets, great resistances, and all the evocables. It was still a terrible idea that should not have worked.

Mutation roulette question. Would you take Slow Healing 1 in exchange for inherent clarity and sInv?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yes I would, especially if I didn't care about turncounts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

The big difference is that speed bows actually stack with elemental ammo while velocity bows don't appear to. Though it's entirely possible that I'm wrong there, the ranged code is a gigantic mess and I'm tired of trying to figure it out.

The reasoning I've heard as to why velocity bows are good is that they stack with elemental ammo, so I'd be surprised if they didn't, though I haven't even tried reading that bit of code myself.

Capt. Allah
Aug 17, 2004

Brannock posted:

I didn't go TSO because I got a necronomicon and a randart pain brand bardiche really early so I was pumping necromacy all game. Makhleb would have been a good idea though. If I had a potion of magic on me at the end I could have deaths doored myself or Brjoirjoigjoigjhoirhoijfs Revivification-ed myself too.

In conclusion, gently caress.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

scalded schlong posted:

Hahaa, you didn't say they were titan simulacra!

This is the first time I've used this combo, but Kiku's corpse drop with simulacrum is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

The reasoning I've heard as to why velocity bows are good is that they stack with elemental ammo, so I'd be surprised if they didn't, though I haven't even tried reading that bit of code myself.

Well, the only thing in the code that indicates that they would also implies that an elemental bow can get its bonus shooting steel ammo but shooting steel ammo out of a flaming bow doesn't piss off Dithmenos despite a specific check for using a flaming launcher after that point. poo poo's weird, yo.

• Locked thread