Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
How often do you guys go back to older pieces you've abandoned and think "That was loving cool...how the gently caress did I do that?", then listen to your new stuff and it all sounds like rubbish, and you just kind of wallow around in a big pool of self loathing and existential doubt for a while? I think I need to try something different. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Skeletron posted:

How often do you guys go back to older pieces you've abandoned and think "That was loving cool...how the gently caress did I do that?", then listen to your new stuff and it all sounds like rubbish, and you just kind of wallow around in a big pool of self loathing and existential doubt for a while? I think I need to try something different. :|

I've been doing this for decades. Except half the time I listen to the old stuff and cringe because it's so bad compared to what I'm doing now.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Thanks for changing your spite avatar so it isn't a turd log.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sizone posted:

Thanks for changing your spite avatar so it isn't a turd log.

I didn't change it, which means someone(s) was mad enough at the Internet to buy Lowtax two $10 Thai ladyboy hookers.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

HotCanadianChick posted:

I didn't change it, which means someone(s) was mad enough at the Internet to buy Lowtax two $10 Thai ladyboy hookers.

Think you could see it in your heart to love Lowtax enough to buy him half a ladyboy hooker so you can get rid of the red title?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm selling my old guitar gear and looking to go back to my roots and invest my time into being antisocial and writing bad electronic music instead. I've spotted a controller keyboard I like at a good price, but the listing was old so nothing might come of it. If it doesn't, I might stick to my cheap 49 full-size key E-MU controller for now and get a level entry analogue mono synth instead.

I've got a JD990 ROMpler in my equipment rack and it's about as fun to integrate into a modern DAW as you can imagine. While I don't really want to shift it yet, I want to pick up something I'm not going to have a nightmare with, which I'm hoping isn't so much of a problem with the new stuff.

So...

Arturia* stuff seems well liked. I know the MicroBrute came after the MiniBrute with a few changes but also a few missing things (and a shittier keyboard). Between the two, what would people go for? Or is it worth saving cash and getting the MiniBrute SE when it launches which seems to be the best of both worlds? Main problem with this is the price difference between getting a new SE and a second hand original/Micro.

If not the Arturia, are there any other go to favourites? I've got a hard on for the outrun/synthwave stuff that's out at the moment, but tastes range across most dance based genres (dnb, jungle, hardcore, trance, dub step, whatever) and hiphop/trap. Versatility is nice! I quite dig the Moog Minitaur too from what I've seen on videos. I've never built sounds from scratch before (beyond the little ssssynth app on my iPhone and beginning to use the inbuilt synth in Live), so user accessibility is *definitely* a bonus! Cheers

* their controller keyboards and the company itself don't seem well liked, did they just luck out with their synths or are they changing for the better?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Yeah, I realized that I went from sperging for thirty hours on the perfect kick to making this in an afternoon (which I'm still working on and need to make less remix-y) and some of it was sampling out elements of percussion from older vinyl and mixing it with premade as poo poo claps/kicks. I EQed things enough that they're probably not recognizable on their own and I'm actually happy with where it's going, which is totally new for me.

This kid just Figured It Out.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm selling my old guitar gear and looking to go back to my roots and invest my time into being antisocial and writing bad electronic music instead. I've spotted a controller keyboard I like at a good price, but the listing was old so nothing might come of it. If it doesn't, I might stick to my cheap 49 full-size key E-MU controller for now and get a level entry analogue mono synth instead.

I've got a JD990 ROMpler in my equipment rack and it's about as fun to integrate into a modern DAW as you can imagine. While I don't really want to shift it yet, I want to pick up something I'm not going to have a nightmare with, which I'm hoping isn't so much of a problem with the new stuff.

So...

Arturia* stuff seems well liked. I know the MicroBrute came after the MiniBrute with a few changes but also a few missing things (and a shittier keyboard). Between the two, what would people go for? Or is it worth saving cash and getting the MiniBrute SE when it launches which seems to be the best of both worlds? Main problem with this is the price difference between getting a new SE and a second hand original/Micro.

If not the Arturia, are there any other go to favourites? I've got a hard on for the outrun/synthwave stuff that's out at the moment, but tastes range across most dance based genres (dnb, jungle, hardcore, trance, dub step, whatever) and hiphop/trap. Versatility is nice! I quite dig the Moog Minitaur too from what I've seen on videos. I've never built sounds from scratch before (beyond the little ssssynth app on my iPhone and beginning to use the inbuilt synth in Live), so user accessibility is *definitely* a bonus! Cheers

* their controller keyboards and the company itself don't seem well liked, did they just luck out with their synths or are they changing for the better?

Realistically, both the Arturia's have lovely keyboards with the micro's being just lovely and a poo poo load of the mini's being defective. My mini is getting fixed with no ETA on when I'm getting it back but once it's back and it works I'm more than likely selling it (knowingly selling defective gear is just unconscionable to me) since it overlaps too much with what I already have and what I'll be getting. I will say that it's a fantastic "first hardware" synth that's super accessible, really easy to program, and as long as you know the quirks of it (+75% on the wave sliders send them into overdrive) it can be either aggressive or tame.

Other alternatives to Arturia's stuff is the Bass station II, the Minitar, or the Pulse 2 sounds really good and is 8 voice paraphonic but almost three times what a new microbrute costs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the info on the Mini, I didn't know about all that. I can see why a lot of people seemed to be going for the Micro over it then, sounds like Arturia hardware on its first revision is very Apple-like and best avoided! I can't complain being pointed the direction of the cheaper option, and if the keyboard is garbage on both then that's actually kind of good news!

Definitely going to look into the other options, had considered one of the old rack mountable bass stations before... I might have to get one of those little desktop racks at some point as my JD being in a rack on the floor is a pain due to lack of computer control, although the fact my desk is glass scares me a little! But will definitely take a look at the keyboarded version too.

The software Moog do for the Minitaur looks great, I'm guessing most synths will have something along those lines (being able to patch edit on the computer and send the instruction across as it's semi digital or whatever). That makes a biiiig difference if my gear is somewhere its a pain to control at the unit itself.

e: is this the Pulse 2 you're referring to ? Unless they messed up the price, that's still in the right ballpark... UK Amazon price for the Mikro is £250, Mini is £399

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 22, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Most synths do not have computer control(Arturia *Brute for instance), but it's becoming a more popular feature. Dave Smith Instruments stuff tends to get that, the Virus TI is based around this idea. Certainly don't assume this is the case when buying synths, and confirm that this feature exists if you care about it. For me, getting away from the computer is half the reason why I like hardware, but I understand the need for integration if you want to be efficient.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks for the info on the Mini, I didn't know about all that. I can see why a lot of people seemed to be going for the Micro over it then, sounds like Arturia hardware on its first revision is very Apple-like and best avoided! I can't complain being pointed the direction of the cheaper option, and if the keyboard is garbage on both then that's actually kind of good news!

Definitely going to look into the other options, had considered one of the old rack mountable bass stations before... I might have to get one of those little desktop racks at some point as my JD being in a rack on the floor is a pain due to lack of computer control, although the fact my desk is glass scares me a little! But will definitely take a look at the keyboarded version too.

The software Moog do for the Minitaur looks great, I'm guessing most synths will have something along those lines (being able to patch edit on the computer and send the instruction across as it's semi digital or whatever). That makes a biiiig difference if my gear is somewhere its a pain to control at the unit itself.

e: is this the Pulse 2 you're referring to ? Unless they messed up the price, that's still in the right ballpark... UK Amazon price for the Mikro is £250, Mini is £399

Well, after a poo poo load of complaints Arturia finally owned up to the fact that the minibrute keyboards on the first three major productions run were defective and are fixing it for free. The first round of people that have sent theirs in have gotten them back with no problems so it's at least fixed, but if you're buying one used I would be very careful since only the original owner gets the free fix.

The pulse 2 in the US is retail $800 which is ridiculous since the mini here is only $500, so if that's an option then I would look into that one as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

renderful posted:

Most synths do not have computer control(Arturia *Brute for instance), but it's becoming a more popular feature. Dave Smith Instruments stuff tends to get that, the Virus TI is based around this idea. Certainly don't assume this is the case when buying synths, and confirm that this feature exists if you care about it. For me, getting away from the computer is half the reason why I like hardware, but I understand the need for integration if you want to be efficient.

Thanks for that, I'll make sure I look up an editor for each one. I wasn't sure what the Arturia had with regards to that, so thanks for the confirmation it doesn't have it. The Pulse 2 looks like it has something similar to the Minitaur, which I'm going to use as my base reference for what a computer based editor can do. I kinda want to buy something that's versatile as I'd love to go from playing in a gigging band to doing live electronica at some point in the future.

A Winner is Jew posted:

The pulse 2 in the US is retail $800 which is ridiculous since the mini here is only $500, so if that's an option then I would look into that one as well.

Holy poo poo, something in the UK is actually cheaper than in the US? I feel I should buy it for that reason alone! So often in gear you can ignore the $ and just put a £ in front and that's the price we pay.

I watched the SonicState* review of it and it looks super, but he didn't seem to be overbrimming with praise (but overall positive at the end.. few grips included the LCD being misused, lack of ability to control elements at a time due to the knob layout and the filter not being as good as the competition), but I have to say even without being able to find one secondhand and only about 15% cheaper than RRP at its best... I'm definitely intrigued. I love the aesthetics of it, being able to keep it on my desk at all times would be pretty rad. Thanks for putting that out there, going to look up more demonstrations/information.

* is this dude generally well regarded? I tend to click his videos as he seems to cover almost everything I've looked up at least, and it's nice to have a consistent viewpoint.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm a big fan of the SonicState reviews of stuff. He's pretty fair in what he praises and calls out.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

renderful posted:

Most synths do not have computer control(Arturia *Brute for instance), but it's becoming a more popular feature. [...] Certainly don't assume this is the case when buying synths, and confirm that this feature exists if you care about it.
And don't assume that because the feature is in the promotional material for the synth, it (still) works for the platform/DAW of your choice.

On the other hand, the occasional synth that never had this to begin with has neat third party stuff.

Researching is key if you care about external control.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching the bass station 2 video sells me on that too! I shouldn't complain, better to have a ton of really awesome gear available than nothing that fully does what I'd like it to.

How does this sound for general purchasing order:

Buy a Bass Station 2 (which I'm hoping has a better keyboard than my little E-MU XBOARD 49 does, not that I hate it but it means I can part with it)
Buy an Akai MPK 49 or 249 depending on price I can get
Buy a Waldorf Phase 2

Obviously not at the same time, as I'm selling current gear and dividing the money between new stuff and vacation money. Gives me a good controller keyboard, a good mono synth and a good poly synth within 3 purchases then. I read in comments that someone sold their Arturia for the BS2 and couldn't be happier with the decision, for reasons that appeal to me (saving patches etc).

DAW will most likely be Ableton and OSX.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

renderful posted:

Most synths do not have computer control(Arturia *Brute for instance), but it's becoming a more popular feature. Dave Smith Instruments stuff tends to get that, the Virus TI is based around this idea.

Elektron is about to catch up, but for the time being, Virus TI is still unchallenged for true DAW integration. And yet I ended up selling mine last week, because as cool as TI is, I wasn't getting any sounds out of the Virus that I couldn't get with a plugin. And while the TI has a metric ton of knobs and blinking lights, it's hardly one-knob-per function- and I just got frustrated trying to program it from hardware. I'd either just program it from the TI plugin, or use a soft synth instead.

I had the opposite problem with all the old Rolands that I'm about to sell. I spent at least $2K in software and hardware solutions that I hoped would facilitate programming and automating these things. The software simply didn't work as advertised (I'm on Windows), and the hardware programmers were either limited or still too complicated, depending on what I needed to do. And even in the best case (MKS-30 with PG-200), I still can't do automation, because these things all use SysEx for that; simple CC mappings won't do the trick.

So, I had one super-advanced synth that didn't have a unique-enough sound to justify the real estate, and a tower of relatively unique sounding rack synths that are a nightmare to program and/or automate.

I'm keeping the Blofeld, since I love its sound, it's easy to program from hardware, and it's pretty much fully automatable.

Once I free up some more shelf space, I will also be picking up the Pulse 2 and Rocket (and probably Streichfett when it comes out). They're good-sounding modern synths that don't take up much physical space, are easy to program from the HW, and will let me control synth parameters from my DAW. That's what I need right now.

net work error posted:

I'm a big fan of the SonicState reviews of stuff. He's pretty fair in what he praises and calls out.
I find that Nick seems to look for the same features and complain about the same shortcomings I do, so I do like his reviews. And the podcast is hilarious.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 22, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

* is this dude generally well regarded? I tend to click his videos as he seems to cover almost everything I've looked up at least, and it's nice to have a consistent viewpoint.

He's good however I don't think I've seen a single review of his where he didn't knock something but a good reviewer should always try to find at least one thing wrong with what he's looking at. Hell, he even knocks the A4 and A4 keys but that's mostly because he really doesn't understand or has taken the time to learn how to program elektron gear, but at least he admits it.

Radiapathy posted:

~automation~

That's the issue I had with the minibrute. The USB and "computer control" for it was just setting the velocity and after touch curves along with the midi channel send and receive info. There is CC for pitch, gate, amp, and filter, but I have an MS-20 which while hz/v has been a bitch to navigate around still gives me a poo poo load more options for automation and sound design with other hardware even though that hardware is limited to like 4 things right now.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The best acid possible is hooking a 303's CV directly into the MS-20. gently caress tuning.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
RE: pulse 2. Haven't poked that one yet but the Pulse 1 killed my want for a Moog 3xosc mono. When I sold my LP I wanted something to fill the moogy spot and it did for me. Awesome little box. The 2 eats 1 sysex which is cool as hell, not sure if they'll polychain together.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

I'm keeping the Blofeld, since I love its sound, it's easy to program from hardware, and it's pretty much fully automatable.
On topic, SoftKnobs is aparently working on a completely new version of the Blofeld Controller vst, which includes a 64 bit version! Looks like it will include some sort of patch librarian as well. Looking forward to that; it's looking good.

Possibly some sort of mac version as well, but he's shy about that.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

toadee posted:

The best acid possible is hooking a 303's CV directly into the MS-20. gently caress tuning.

Amen.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

This is very tangentially synth related but holy gently caress am I proud that my president knows who the gently caress Frankie Knuckles is http://gawker.com/barack-and-michelle-obama-salute-frankie-knuckles-in-le-1566229769

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

On topic, SoftKnobs is aparently working on a completely new version of the Blofeld Controller vst, which includes a 64 bit version! Looks like it will include some sort of patch librarian as well. Looking forward to that; it's looking good.

Possibly some sort of mac version as well, but he's shy about that.

That stuff isn't vaporware? I could swear it looked like that last time I checked. If I could control my Blofeld like a VST that'd be the most amazing thing ever :aaa:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Your Computer posted:

That stuff isn't vaporware? I could swear it looked like that last time I checked. If I could control my Blofeld like a VST that'd be the most amazing thing ever :aaa:
Can't say I looked into it that deeply. Last update of the page you can download some sort of alpha from was in january. Guess I just was happy to see some movement beyond the 32 bit version from 2010.

Looking at the recent changes of the Wiki, he updated some pages on a parallel project he's doing for the Pulse 2 in the last 30 days somewhere.

So... the guy's not dead yet and still interested in Waldorf synths? That's good, right?

Edit: the old 32 bit plugin still works fine if you have a way to accommodate for that, I guess.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 22, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

toadee posted:

This is very tangentially synth related but holy gently caress am I proud that my president knows who the gently caress Frankie Knuckles is http://gawker.com/barack-and-michelle-obama-salute-frankie-knuckles-in-le-1566229769

Yeah it's pretty cool. I look forward to the day America has a president that is adamant about electronic music just to see the shitstorm that will be raised from it. Maybe it will be me. :911:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Maybe in 2089 when Skrillex dies our president George Herbert Walker Jeb Cheney-Bush IV will put out one of these memos.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Your Computer posted:

You already can (if you're still 32-bit). Getting it set up so that you can both edit patches AND audition them if you have a Desktop model took me a while to figure out (wrote a blog post about how to do it a couple years ago).

Flipperwaldt posted:

Can't say I looked into it that deeply. Last update of the page you can download some sort of alpha from was in january. Guess I just was happy to see some movement beyond the 32 bit version from 2010.

Looking at the recent changes of the Wiki, he updated some pages on a parallel project he's doing for the Pulse 2 in the last 30 days somewhere.

Alternatively there's also this guy with Blofeld, Rocket, and Wave editors (says he's working on a Pulse 2 one too). The editors are standalone, but all have "experimental" VST and planned AU modules. Cross-platform and 32/64. But SoftKnobs was there first.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 22, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Edit: the old 32 bit plugin still works fine if you have a way to accommodate for that, I guess.
e: ^^ Well would you look at that. Thanks synth-thread, solving my problems before I even get to hit 'Post'!
e2: Oh, so I need a USB connection AND a MIDI connection to make it work? God drat, Ableton :argh:

That's okay, I can't use 64-bit VST's in Ableton anyway.... Oh wait, this plugin doesn't even work in Ableton :bravo:

It totally works in Bitwig though, and I gotta say it's pretty neat. One more reason to save up and buy Bitwig I guess.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 22, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Your Computer posted:

That's okay, I can't use 64-bit VST's in Ableton anyway.... Oh wait, this plugin doesn't even work in Ableton :bravo:
Hmm, works for me in both Live and Cubase- although I haven't tried in Live 9. I did the blog thing on Live 8, 32-bit and Cubase 6 I think?

But yeah, if it works in Bitwig...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

Hmm, works for me in both Live and Cubase- although I haven't tried in Live 9. I did the blog thing on Live 8, 32-bit and Cubase 6 I think?

But yeah, if it works in Bitwig...

I didn't want to double-post, I noticed your post but it seems I need to connect the Blofeld with both USB *and* a MIDI cable? It's like Ableton refuses to send MIDI to the Blofeld (from USB) unless it's activated in Live, but the VST won't send anything unless it's DEactivated. Seems like a quite a roundabout route to use both USB and MIDI.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

You already can (if you're still 32-bit). Getting it set up so that you can both edit patches AND audition them if you have a Desktop model took me a while to figure out (wrote a blog post about how to do it a couple years ago).
Actually, if you don't care for the bidirectionality, just using the din midi works as well. Shouldn't be touching the controls on the Blofeld then though, because the plugin won't know.

And since using the usb midi creates a terrible groundloop in my setup... eh.

Radiapathy posted:

Alternatively there's also this guy with Blofeld, Rocket, and Wave editors (says he's working on a Pulse 2 one too). The editors are standalone, but all have "experimental" VST and planned AU modules. Cross-platform and 32/64. But SoftKnobs was there first.
Hadn't seen this one. $50 isn't too bad. Not even a real screenshot on the website though and it isn't even linked from the software section. That's just bad marketing, 'cause it looks good and doesn't seem to be the standalone-editor-hacked-into-a-vst that the SofKnobs one is.

Have you used it?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Sorry, but not enough good synth chat in this topic so, lets discuss the Gakken NSX-39!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-v5CB5krws

Gakken, publisher of books and sometimes maker of synth kits, has noticed the astonishing demand for a hardware version of the Vocaloid synth. The NSX-39 contains 4 (wow!) preset phrases like "good morning, thank you" (check around 4:30 in the video); a usb port that not only does boring old usb-midi and power, but also lets you add custom phrases using your chrome web browser and knowledge of hiragana.

MSRP: 4,980 yen.
Release Date: over two weeks ago.

i really gotta get one

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Hadn't seen this one. $50 isn't too bad. Not even a real screenshot on the website though and it isn't even linked from the software section. That's just bad marketing, 'cause it looks good and doesn't seem to be the standalone-editor-hacked-into-a-vst that the SofKnobs one is.

Have you used it?
There was some excited talk about it on GearSlutz when it came out, but I haven't heard from anyone who's actually used it. (I don't have any of 'em yet.)

The guy did post a YouTube with the VST versions in action though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA4kTMP85hw

I'm waiting for someone to guinea pig these too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

I'm waiting for someone to guinea pig these too.
I haven't even turned on any of my hardware in the last six months or so, so that guinea pig probably isn't going to be me :smith:

Love the Blofeld, but I think hardware synths are an evolutionary dead end for me. Beyond owning and drooling over them, I mean.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

vkeios posted:

Sorry, but not enough good synth chat in this topic so, lets discuss the Gakken NSX-39!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-v5CB5krws

Gakken, publisher of books and sometimes maker of synth kits, has noticed the astonishing demand for a hardware version of the Vocaloid synth. The NSX-39 contains 4 (wow!) preset phrases like "good morning, thank you" (check around 4:30 in the video); a usb port that not only does boring old usb-midi and power, but also lets you add custom phrases using your chrome web browser and knowledge of hiragana.

MSRP: 4,980 yen.
Release Date: over two weeks ago.

i really gotta get one

I'm gonna outmyself here and admit I'm a big closet vocaloid fan and I want one too.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm taking another crack at resampling basslines, and I'm again experiencing nothing but frustration. I swear, I do this every six months. I understand the process, how to get grit and movement etc., but can't wrap my head around how to turn all that grit and movement into something melodic - even if that melody is nothing but fifths and minor thirds. I've been getting some interesting throbs, wobbles and other-moving-things straight out of my Virus lately, but getting a sampler involved, the order of 'sample bass sound>modulate>resample>modulate>create rhythm/melody' eludes me. How do I handle (or abuse) the limitations of a sampler's time-stretching algorithm? With naturally beating detuned saws, how many notes do I sample and how do I treat them to create rhythm from that beating? When employing envelopes, automation and tempo-sync'd modulations that create rhythm in a resampled sound, how do I take into account melody?

This is all a bit of word salad. I've been trying to crack this 'neurofunk' sound for ages, and I guess I'm just getting really frustrated that all of my attempts at resampling seem to lack the cohesion of patches straight out of my synthesizer.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So I finally got a temporary DAW setup going and I decided to make a demo song. I'm sorry if I failed you guys.

Pursuit (Demo)

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 23, 2014

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm taking another crack at resampling basslines, and I'm again experiencing nothing but frustration. I swear, I do this every six months. I understand the process, how to get grit and movement etc., but can't wrap my head around how to turn all that grit and movement into something melodic - even if that melody is nothing but fifths and minor thirds. I've been getting some interesting throbs, wobbles and other-moving-things straight out of my Virus lately, but getting a sampler involved, the order of 'sample bass sound>modulate>resample>modulate>create rhythm/melody' eludes me. How do I handle (or abuse) the limitations of a sampler's time-stretching algorithm? With naturally beating detuned saws, how many notes do I sample and how do I treat them to create rhythm from that beating? When employing envelopes, automation and tempo-sync'd modulations that create rhythm in a resampled sound, how do I take into account melody?

This is all a bit of word salad. I've been trying to crack this 'neurofunk' sound for ages, and I guess I'm just getting really frustrated that all of my attempts at resampling seem to lack the cohesion of patches straight out of my synthesizer.

I'm not the most knowledgeable in this area, but until someone who is posts, you might want to check out SeamlessR's channel on YouTube. He does nothing but neuro stuff, and lots and lots of it, and he's quite good at explaining what he's doing. He pretty much exclusively uses Image Line plugins, but if you watch his processes I'm sure you can apply most everything to whatever you're using.

As far as detuned saws go, the typical reese sound just has 2 I believe. The more you add, the more indistinct the pattern of the beating is.

As far as automation goes, I find that it helps melodically to kind of have each parameter doing its own thing, or similar things at a bit of an offset, but then close/open up simultaneously at rythmic beats you want to emphasize.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

net work error posted:

I'm gonna outmyself here and admit I'm a big closet vocaloid fan and I want one too.

What's the overlap between English and Japanese phonemes, I wonder. Because that's pretty cool.

edit: Japanese: 5 vowels, 17 consonants. English: 20 vowels, 24 consonants.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Continuing my hunt for a rompler / sampler, I stumbled upon an E-MU E6400 Ultra with voice expansion, 40 gig drive loaded with samples/libraries, Proteus included.

Any reason why this shouldn't be able to whet my evolving pad whistle? I understand it has fewer of the Morpheus filters, but the added functionality of it being a sampler should compensate for the loss in value there.