Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?

Butt Ghost posted:

Good to know Shadow Teddie is still loving terrifying.
English Shadow Teddie better use the voice from those comics :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This game isn't really like a traditional ArcSys fighter, you get two dedicated attack buttons with your actual characters and two attack buttons for your persona. You also have to manage your Persona as if it gets broken you lose quite a few options in terms of special attacks and even super moves. Also, you might want to find a button combination your hands are comfortable with because there are several mechanics which require you to press two or more buttons at the same time and it could really be awkward to try and do some at key moments.

Thanks for the tips. I finished training mode and decided to stick with the default layout.

The story mode really is extremely talky. Even worse than I remember the original games being. Can I actually unlock everything without doing the story mode? That would be great. And why is there two buttons for skipping dialogue when none of them are working? It's mind-blowing. I suppose it's for replays but why anyone would actually replay the story mode is beyond me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't unlock anything by doing the story mode, every character is unlocked for playability automatically. About the only thing you do get from it is trophies and story content.

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
You do get something from story mode, the Teddie navigator if you bother to do 100% completion. Not really worthwhile if you find story mode to be a slog though. Just hop right into the main game if you don't care about all the extras.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Thanks for the replies. 20-something hours of not-so-great writing to unlock TEDDIE? That's just cruel. The game's pretty fun, though, so arcade mode it is!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the tips. I finished training mode and decided to stick with the default layout.

The story mode really is extremely talky. Even worse than I remember the original games being. Can I actually unlock everything without doing the story mode? That would be great. And why is there two buttons for skipping dialogue when none of them are working? It's mind-blowing. I suppose it's for replays but why anyone would actually replay the story mode is beyond me.

You can't skip dialogue you haven't seen before by default. You have to turn it on in the options.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So Kanji's 19th combo challenge

All out attack launcher followed by two aerial B and then aerial C. Sounds real easy but I can only get one B out before Charlie recovers midair and I can't continue the combo. I tried different timings, I tried mashing it out as fast as possible, but Charlie always recovers after I hit him with one B. What the heck.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Overbite posted:

So Kanji's 19th combo challenge

All out attack launcher followed by two aerial B and then aerial C. Sounds real easy but I can only get one B out before Charlie recovers midair and I can't continue the combo. I tried different timings, I tried mashing it out as fast as possible, but Charlie always recovers after I hit him with one B. What the heck.

If that's the one I remember, you have to jump in between the first and second aerial B.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

MrAristocrates posted:

If that's the one I remember, you have to jump in between the first and second aerial B.

There's nothing in the combo directions about a jump.

edit: These aren't laid out well at all. Akihiko has one where you press A 4 times then do a sweep. I can do it just fine but it doesn't register. The demonstration shows him doing an extra attack between the 4th A and the sweep. I'm gonna skip this combo challenge stuff I guess. Good thing I got this for the story mode!

Overbite fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 28, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think it tells you when to jump/double jump in the combo instructions.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You can stick anything you want in between the listed moves in the challenge combos. As long as you get everything that's listed, that's what matters. So feel free to stick in extra jumps or moves or RCs or whatever you want.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Thanks for the tips. I like fighting games but I'm terrible at combos and in turn terrible at Arc games. I do like Persona though!

You'd think that after playing fighting games since SF2 I'd be somewhat good at them but nope.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

You can stick anything you want in between the listed moves in the challenge combos. As long as you get everything that's listed, that's what matters. So feel free to stick in extra jumps or moves or RCs or whatever you want.

This is such a big improvement after I tried out UMvC3 where you have to do the EXACT moves in a specific order. Such a pain.

I got my 300 challenges trophy a few weeks ago thanks to a friend who helped me clear the last 3 of Yosuke's challenges, so I got Mitsuru as a navigator as well. I've cleared enough to actually get 300 even without his help, so I'll take that at least.

I still need to get Teddie's sj.C combos down though, since they're important for maximizing damage.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Nerina made this, Jourdal just uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebIANP8NoJQ

Shadow Labrys, get loving hype. I cannot WAIT for this.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

why is kanji so loving terrible? i've been playing online nonstop and while it's been going fine so far his command grabs are just so poo poo compared to someone like tager.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Prefuse posted:

why is kanji so loving terrible? i've been playing online nonstop and while it's been going fine so far his command grabs are just so poo poo compared to someone like tager.

Kanji is bad, but certainly not because of his grabs: he has horrible inertia in his dash, slow anti air, gets persona broken kinda easily and overall just relies too much on making risky reads. That said, whenever he does get going because of a knockdown or a paralyzed opponent he can be really scary. The problem is you're supposed to use specific attack strings that are meant to catch jumps or backdashes specifically to take advantage of the threat of your command grab more than anything.

Although it's definitely possible to sneak in command grabs every now and then, another important part is that they're are pretty drat fast (except the D version of course), the SB version being 4 frames and C version 5 respectively. They make great punishers for things that are normally assumed to be safe or hard to punish yet are -4/-5 etc. (think of Mitsuru's droit)

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It was only a matter of time really, but Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax is confirmed for an NA release this fall. For the 360 and PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3EFoT-yvss

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 25, 2014

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
And I just bought a PS3 finally the other day... Oh well, that's the better choice for population anyway. And I can still play Gundam EXVS in the meantime.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Batigh posted:

And I just bought a PS3 finally the other day... Oh well, that's the better choice for population anyway. And I can still play Gundam EXVS in the meantime.

Get Arena, It's <:10bux: right now for PS+ members(or will be later this afternoon.)

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

It was only a matter of time really, but Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax is confirmed for an NA release this fall. For the 360 and PS3.

Is it going to be region locked?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The_Frag_Man posted:

Is it going to be region locked?

If they include the Japanese dub track again, then it probably will be. At least we can hope that whatever company was responsible for getting it out in the EU won't be allowed anywhere near it this time so that it can actually come out in a reasonable time frame.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

AG3 posted:

If they include the Japanese dub track again, then it probably will be. At least we can hope that whatever company was responsible for getting it out in the EU won't be allowed anywhere near it this time so that it can actually come out in a reasonable time frame.

Seeing as nearly every Atlus game has had a significantly delayed EU release no matter the publisher, it's pretty safe to point fingers at Atlus themselves I think.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

taser rates posted:

Seeing as nearly every Atlus game has had a significantly delayed EU release no matter the publisher, it's pretty safe to point fingers at Atlus themselves I think.

Even by Atlus standards P4A was terrible, even if it wasn't the worst example. Atlus EU releases seem a bit schizophrenic as far as release dates go; it can take anywhere from 2-3 months to 2 years. Since they don't handle their own EU releases though it could just be that they are good at picking terrible companies to do the work for them.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If they don't keep "Ultra Suplex Hold" as the subtitle, I'm going to buy this game, but begrudgingly. And then I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it. Begrudgingly. :colbert:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I can finally play this since I finished P4G. Which story modes are recommended? Is there an order in which to play them?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

redreader posted:

I can finally play this since I finished P4G. Which story modes are recommended? Is there an order in which to play them?

You unlock the story modes as you play through other characters stories, just play whoever you want, they very rarely interconnect in the same way as another.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The stories can be grouped into (Chie, Yukiko, Yu, Yosuke), Teddie, Kanji, (Akihiko, Mitsuru, Aigis, Naoto), Labrys, and Elizabeth. I think you have to play as one of each group to unlock the next batch of characters. It's been a while so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I remember having to beat everyone's story to unlock Elizabeth's, but it's been a year and a half. It's a shame there isn't too much variety between a lot of the plots.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

You just have to complete the entire story of one of the first four P4 characters and then complete the entire story of one of the three P3 characters to unlock Elizabeth.

The fastest way to unlock Elizabeth though does require a bit of work. First of all you have to unlock the ability to full clear story modes rather than ending up on a cliffhanger.

To do this you have to get to the cliffhanger of two P4 characters, play through to the cliffhanger of one of the P3 characters, do all of Labrys's story (this unlocks fully clearing P4 character's stories), complete a P4 character's story (this unlocks completing story for all characters), and then finally once you clear a P3 story you unlock Elizabeth.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Apparently the rumor that Rise would be a new playable character has been confirmed by Famitsu

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Ekusukariba posted:

Apparently the rumor that Rise would be a new playable character has been confirmed by Famitsu

Also Ken, right? I've never played 3 so I am neutral on him, but new characters are always welcome in my book.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I sure hope Ken is no longer a dumb character a few years post P3.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Butt Ghost posted:

I sure hope Ken is no longer a dumb character a few years post P3.

Now he's in his late teens so he'll probably be an even bigger poo poo than before.

Would have rather had the dog.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ekusukariba posted:

Does she fight with the power of Japanese Teen Idol Dancing? Cuz that would pretty much own.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Does she fight with the power of Japanese Teen Idol Dancing? Cuz that would pretty much own.

Going by the teaser picture she uses a microphone stand, and Ken hasn't official been confirmed but there's a lot blackened out so he's probably confirmed underneath it

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

They never fully black out the image

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Thank Kurushii for scans. As an aside, Rise's Persona is still Himiko. That's as much as I can translate. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh man, is that a story mode section that recounts the events of P4? Is that how they're gonna get Adachi into the story mode? That's hilarious.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Golden Arena mode looks like an expanded Abyss mode from Blazblue, which is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'm no doctor, but it appears that Rise's legs are either attached to her hips by some kind of magic or not attached at all.

• Locked thread