Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've got the E4XT, beast of a machine! What version of EOS is it running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
4.10, is it something end-users can upgrade or is it tied to the hardware revision?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I think the E6400 and other E4 models can run EOS 4.7 (which adds a lot of great features such as FAT partition support). I got my E4XT with 4.01 loaded on it and have upgraded to 4.63 so far. Since the hard drive is formatted with EMU's proprietary file system I'm hesitant to upgrade to 4.7 for fear of something happening and me losing my samples (I'm planning on upgrading the HD to an internal compact flash drive anyway cause IDE hard drive are slow and loud!).

If you have access to a floppy drive you'll be able to create the necessary floppies for the upgrade (I bought a USB one from the local computer store and returned it when I made my 3 floppies). There will be a Flash prep floppy to burn as well as the versions of EOS you want to upgrade to. I think after 4.6 the flash prep floppy became unnecessary (you also might need to hold down the enter key while booting to get into flashing mode) but yeah, legacy hardware, so much fun to work with :downs:. I've only played around with sampling in and mapping samples to a keyboard but there is a gently caress ton of stuff the EMUs can do. There's even some kind of synth engine that uses patching modules to create sound (I haven't even figured out how to get to this part of the machine yet).

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Fract OSC, the Tron-esque synth game, is finally available on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjdBuFQfsdc

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

magiccarpet posted:

Fract OSC, the Tron-esque synth game, is finally available on Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjdBuFQfsdc

Picked this up yesterday and I've been loving it so far. But man, some of the puzzles are pretty obtuse. Highly recommend it though, the music and visuals are totally :krad:

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Oh my god...sequencing my Polysix from a software 303 emulator and twiddling knobs is ridiculously fun. Closest thing I've got to a 303...if only it had portamento. Still...that filter is so juicy. I've got to try this with my Prophet as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was loving around with my MicroBrute yesterday and realized I don't like this thing as much as I thought I would. I've had this thing since right after Christmas and haven't felt the drive to mess with it all that much, and when I have, I haven't exactly been blown away. So I put it up on Craigslist and I was looking for new synths to buy, but everything I saw was either way too expensive or right in my price range but didn't thrill me. Any suggestions? After I sell this thing, the only hardsynth I'll have is my SH-201 that I've had for like 5 years and still love. I definitely want to get the Rhythm Wolf whenever that thing comes out, but besides that? I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

e: I should probably also add that pads are my favorite and I've got a few pedals I'd be using to mess with the sound of whatever I got.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 24, 2014

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was loving around with my MicroBrute yesterday and realized I don't like this thing as much as I thought I would. I've had this thing since right after Christmas and haven't felt the drive to mess with it all that much, and when I have, I haven't exactly been blown away. So I put it up on Craigslist and I was looking for new synths to buy, but everything I saw was either way too expensive or right in my price range but didn't thrill me. Any suggestions? After I sell this thing, the only hardsynth I'll have is my SH-201 that I've had for like 5 years and still love. I definitely want to get the Rhythm Wolf whenever that thing comes out, but besides that? I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

e: I should probably also add that pads are my favorite and I've got a few pedals I'd be using to mess with the sound of whatever I got.

The MicroBrute is a great addition to a modular synth (hint hint). I wouldn't have bought it just for stand-alone use. What's your budget? I would get something polyphonic for pads, e.g. MicroKorg, Blofeld, Ultranova, etc. Or if your budget is higher, maybe a polyphonic Dave Smith synth.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Any suggestions?

Just to narrow it down, you're looking for a:

- Polyphonic synth capable of good pads
- Low price.. so a VA
- I'm assuming like $800 and under

Pretty much any VA can do the job, it's more or less just finding one you like to twiddle. God that sounds dirty...

How about a second hand Access Virus C? Can do great pads, and of course it has all the bells and whistles. Lots of knobs. I've seen a few go for like 500-600 lately.

Or if your really on a tight budget and are looking for something easy to program, maybe a Novation K-Station? Probably find a used one for like 300-400. I've gotten some pretty tight pads and strings out of it. The Mininova's also got some pretty shimmery and lucid sounding strings and layered padlike sounds. Not as easy to program but still sounds great.

I've also heard some great pads outta the Blofield.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Interesting suggestions. The only one of those I was really looking at earlier was the Ultranova. I'll have to check out demos of these on YouTube/SoundCloud and see how they sound. Thanks :)

A buddy of mine had a Virus Ti and he loved it. Hell, maybe he still has it. It was a huge part of his productions years ago, but maybe it still is. I'll have to ask. What's the difference between the C and the Ti?

e: Daaaaaamn, the Mininova looks like a ton of fun to play around with :swoon:

e2: Yeah, watching more videos on the Mininova and it looks like the one for me. Looks like a MicroKorg but with more interesting sounds and a lot more fun to twiddle. Those animate pads look like they offer a ton of possibilities. And it's right in my price range too! I think this is the one I'll get, but I'll check out those other suggestions too!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 24, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

What's the difference between the C and the Ti?

TI has DAW integration, C doesn't; TI has hypersaw and wavetable waveforms, C doesn't; TI has more voices. Those are really the main differences I can think of off the top of my head but don't let that dissuade you. The C is loving awesome.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Yamaha an1x
Alesis Ion/Micron

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

I know you already have it up on craigslist, but if you'd be interested in a goon-to-goon deal, I'm game for a MicroBrute.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

You probably do want/can afford a K2000. They're down to like 2-300 in my area. Not knobby at all but pads for days. Echo suggestions of K-station/mininova. Build quality doesn't inspire but I love the novation VAs.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
If it's endless pads you're after, just get a Roland D50 already.
Cheap as gently caress and you can get a third party VST-editor thingy that allows you to program it via MIDI.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My luck with purchasing E-MU gear is loving terrible. I have now lost out on 3 of them. Perhaps I should stop posting about them before hand. :(

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I would definitely consider the Alesis Ion or Micron. Beautiful pads and can do a whole lot of other stuff rather well for an inexpensive VA. You could probably do an entire song just using the Micron and considering a Virus C is probably $600 and a Micron is $250 there is little much else to debate. I've used the Novation X-station which is similar to the K-station and though it did what it said it would do, I was not thrilled by Novation's VA sounds (though I do really like their hardware).

I also own an Virus Rack XL (a 1U version of the Virus C) and really do enjoy the Virus sound/features. Yes it does sound a bit more "real" to my ears than the Micron, but they're very different machines. On the point about the C vs the TI, beyond missing features there is a sound quality difference as well. I think it's that classic description of "the older ones sound grittier while the newer ones sound cleaner and prettier" applies here. I haven't played with a TI in real life, only listened to videos, but I can definitely hear a more detailed quality of sound coming from the TI series. The C can do many things as well (things that are not even dark or industrial!) but especially with the effects enabled there is a darker/grittier quality to the sound. The Viruses are very much geared toward trance/dance/electronic music but they're also quite versatile.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Plugging the Yamaha An1x again. Nice pad timbre range from buttery to sparkly, excellent reverb and delay, 300-400 bucks used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzeKkKRLGVU

snorch fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 24, 2014

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
I know this is the HW Synth thread but I'm poor and already have a copy of Massive and you guys seem like MIDI gods so help a goon out? I have a Novation Launchkey that I use but I'd like to have more lots more physical knobs/sliders to map so I can get a more immersive experience when synthesizing. Is there a good midi controller that is just (or mostly) knobs/sliders that would be suitable for this? I see a few that are like 1000x pads but nothing to replicate the controls I see on HW synths.

Is there a somewhere you can point me where I can learn some in-depth MIDI wizardry? My casio can do splits/zones and 256 note polyphony so I'd like to control some of it's sounds via the Novation. I'd like to be able to hit pads on the Novation and change the patch that is configured in Massive and maybe turn on my delay pedal (which has midi in/out). These sorts of things seem like they'd be feasible but I have no idea where to get a solid foundation in how to script all this.

Lastly, assuming I was going to pickup a HW synth at some point, what's the deal with the Aria System-1? It seems like a pretty good idea (comprehensive controller with the ability to change the emulation model it uses) and I'm no analog purist but I'm not seeing much information on it beyond obvious marketing videos. I'm assuming that's because it's still prerelease but I'd expect a bunch of gear queens like you guys to be super excited about it so I feel like I must be overlooking something...

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Bolange posted:

Is there a good midi controller that is just (or mostly) knobs/sliders that would be suitable for this?

Behringer BCR2000. However, a word of warning: a whole load of knobs don't make a more immersive experience.

The thing about HW synths is that their knobs and sliders are usually grouped in logical little islets. With the BCR you just get a grid.

Using another HW synth with loads of knobs (say, an Alesis Ion) to control a plugin that doesn't match also ruins immersion a bit.

quote:

I'd like to be able to hit pads on the Novation and change the patch that is configured in Massive
That's probably tricky since I don't think Massive reacts to regular MIDI program changes. Unless you wrap it in AutoMap first, then that might work.

quote:

These sorts of things seem like they'd be feasible but I have no idea where to get a solid foundation in how to script all this.

Any good manual has a MIDI implementation chart, but that's not going tell you much. MIDI sends a message; the trick is to craft the message and to convince the LaunchKey software to send that instead of a note.

quote:

Lastly, assuming I was going to pickup a HW synth at some point, what's the deal with the Aria System-1?

Nobody knows yet. Wait until it's actually for sale, though there's a good chance that it's a public beta of sorts and that they'll release a bigger system with more DSP eventually. Or not, and then it's going to bomb like the VariOS.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
IMO this is the synth thread, not the hardware synth thread. The title is a misnomer.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
We should only be discussing oscillator theory here :colbert:

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Laserjet 4P posted:

Behringer BCR2000. However, a word of warning: a whole load of knobs don't make a more immersive experience.

The thing about HW synths is that their knobs and sliders are usually grouped in logical little islets. With the BCR you just get a grid.

I certainly understand there are trade offs with soft synths (having to lug around a laptop for example) but the value is hard for me ignore. What do folks usually do about controlling them? Suffer through the mouse? :effort:

My MIDI questions were just examples. Basically I understand what MIDI is but I don't know how to figure out what a device can do or how to setup some global configuration where I configure it once and then everything magically works the next time I power up all the gear. I'm looking for something more practical/hands-on than the RFC 'This is how we define the MIDI language'. There's got to be some solid primer out there, right? Right?!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bolange posted:

I don't know how to figure out what a device can do or how to setup some global configuration where I configure it once and then everything magically works the next time I power up all the gear.
What the device can do is in the device's documentation, ideally. Setting up a template or whatever is DAW specific, so it'd help if you at least mention what you're using.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

renderful posted:

IMO this is the synth thread, not the hardware synth thread. The title is a misnomer.
Agreed. The VST thread is more of a catch-all for all plugin related stuff (effects, tools, libraries, etc.) that doesn't necessarily have to do with synthesis.

Bolange posted:

I certainly understand there are trade offs with soft synths (having to lug around a laptop for example) but the value is hard for me ignore. What do folks usually do about controlling them? Suffer through the mouse? :effort:
I once had an awesome fader/knob controller (BCF2000) and an awesome dedicated drum pad device (Korg padKontrol) and a keyboard controller with a ton of pads, knobs, and faders (Akai MPK49) and I never used ANY of it. I have a Steinberg CC121 now, which for my purposes is just a transport control and macro launcher for Cubase.

It really comes down to personal preference. I decided that hardware control wasn't for me, at least for plugins and other software stuff.

EDIT: I should say, though, that I think part of the reason I never utilized the hardware control options was I never invested the time necessary to put together templates and mappings and whatnot to suit my setup or workflow. I'm just really not a customizer. In 95% of cases, I install a product and I use it without ever even looking at configuration settings. But I also honestly don't feel I'm missing out on anything by sticking with mouse/keyboard for everything other than playing notes.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 24, 2014

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Word, the Microbrute is overrated, likely due to its price. It's a decent first synth, I guess -- very knobby, and the semi-modular aspect is very cool -- but as a standalone instrument, it sounds cheap.

As a replacement, I second the Blofeld. I don't own one (yet), but I did get a chance to play with one recently and was super-impressed. Extremely intuitive and sounds great. At its current price ($500), it's a steal.

Re: the Ion/Micron: I own an Akai Miniak, which is basically the Micron Mk. 2 (same sound engine, slightly nicer package), and I've never been able to get too inspired by it. It's flexible and all, but it's too hard to program without a software editor, and though the sound engine is decent, it's only decent. YMMV, obviously. If you're considering going that route -- and you probably should, as Microns are crazy cheap on eBay -- try to test one out first if you can.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The same buddy that I said owned the Virus Ti also used to own a Micron and I played around with his a few years ago. It was fun and had a bunch of cool sounds! But the drummer/synth player in one of my favorite local bands plays an Ion and that thing is just the bees knees. I will definitely have to check those out in addition to the Mininova. But I stayed up til like 5AM last night watching Mininova videos on YouTube and was literally giddy while watching them, so that's probably a good sign :v:

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Radiapathy posted:

Agreed. The VST thread is more of a catch-all for all plugin related stuff (effects, tools, libraries, etc.) that doesn't necessarily have to do with synthesis.

I once had an awesome fader/knob controller (BCF2000) and an awesome dedicated drum pad device (Korg padKontrol) and a keyboard controller with a ton of pads, knobs, and faders (Akai MPK49) and I never used ANY of it. I have a Steinberg CC121 now, which for my purposes is just a transport control and macro launcher for Cubase.

It really comes down to personal preference. I decided that hardware control wasn't for me, at least for plugins and other software stuff.

EDIT: I should say, though, that I think part of the reason I never utilized the hardware control options was I never invested the time necessary to put together templates and mappings and whatnot to suit my setup or workflow. I'm just really not a customizer. In 95% of cases, I install a product and I use it without ever even looking at configuration settings. But I also honestly don't feel I'm missing out on anything by sticking with mouse/keyboard for everything other than playing notes.

I'm the same way, I've got these hardware controllers, with knobs, pads etc., but I always get lazy and just mouse stuff in. I do use the piano keyboard though.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

The same buddy that I said owned the Virus Ti also used to own a Micron and I played around with his a few years ago. It was fun and had a bunch of cool sounds! But the drummer/synth player in one of my favorite local bands plays an Ion and that thing is just the bees knees. I will definitely have to check those out in addition to the Mininova. But I stayed up til like 5AM last night watching Mininova videos on YouTube and was literally giddy while watching them, so that's probably a good sign :v:

They're the same synth engine. The Micron is just a scaled down version in a smaller case with a smaller keyboard. I like the knobbier interface of the Ion but for the size and price I think the Micron is where it's at. I use a Novation Remote SL to control the synth parameters anyway (but the single knob interface on the Micron, while annoying, can be OK to use).

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

treasureplane posted:

Re: the Ion/Micron: I own an Akai Miniak, which is basically the Micron Mk. 2 (same sound engine, slightly nicer package), and I've never been able to get too inspired by it.

Takes awhile but there are some tactics that work really well with it - for example the LFOs can fast enough for audio and if you feed one into a strongly resonant filter OB sweep at just the right setting the whole thing starts to fall apart gloriously. I owned an Xpander for a while, and people that worked on that came over to the Ion team. Some of the tricks that work with the Xpander (which can also be a very dull machine) work here as well. The oscillators are OK but the filters is where all the good things happen.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

But I stayed up til like 5AM last night watching Mininova videos on YouTube and was literally giddy while watching them, so that's probably a good sign :v:

Mininova is a very solid machine. It has a broad range of things that it can do from Roland style pads to weirdness where you use a wavetable as an LFO modulated by another LFO fed into another wavetable. I don't find it distinctive, as in it doesn't have a singular purpose in life - it's the one that makes itself useful.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

I've only played it in store but yeah it does great "modern" sounding pads and strings. Where as IMO the Microkorg/MS2000 does better retro strings, especially with the wavetables it uses. But when I say retro I mean like 1990 Twin Peaks soundtrack.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just sat at my Microbrute for like an hour just making long distorted wee-woo sounds and had a blast. Synths are cool like that. :)

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
lol http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/04/25/moog-music-intros-new-emerson-modular-system/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Just sat at my Microbrute for like an hour just making long distorted wee-woo sounds and had a blast. Synths are cool like that. :)

Yeah! I heard some rumors that you can make music with them too, but I haven't really bothered to look more into it. Music schmusic v:shobon:v

(I spend hella more time bleeping and blooping than I do anything that can be considered "productive")

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Should we start a pool? :v:
I'm guessing 125k.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
I bought the Korg M1 VST today, which I rationalised as part of my career plan to become a composer of soundtracks for TV shows in 1993.

edit: It comes with the original manual, which I thought was kind of cool at first but quickly proved disappointing.

david mammoth fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 25, 2014

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I love the M1 VST but trying to make and save/load user created patches is a pain in the rear end. I just use the factory patches. Some of the T1 sounds that come with it are extremely good as well.

And yeah, if you layer a soft piano with some strings and play minor chords it sounds a lot like an early X-Files episode.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012

Bilal posted:

I love the M1 VST but trying to make and save/load user created patches is a pain in the rear end. I just use the factory patches. Some of the T1 sounds that come with it are extremely good as well.

And yeah, if you layer a soft piano with some strings and play minor chords it sounds a lot like an early X-Files episode.

Yeah, I got it knowing I'd basically end up using it as preset machine, but I like the idea of re-appropriating cheesy 90s rompler sounds (more in theory than in practice since obviously I never make anything more than a couple of loops before quitting Ableton).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

david mammoth posted:

obviously I never make anything more than a couple of loops before quitting Ableton

Strong contender for thread name right here.