Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Tupperwarez posted:

The secret ending to Silent Hill has taught me that dogs are capable of anything.

Also, pick the Terrier and name him Iggy. ZA FOOL!

Well, I know what game I'm going to be searching for soon. And I'm going to do what I'm voting for here, a Terrier named Iggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Voting Terry, later to be renamed Iggy.

How can you say 'no' to this face?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Booze! Dog! Booze! Dog! Boozedog!

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Terry the Laserdog has never failed me.

burnaboy
Jun 2, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bernie The booze dog is the best dog.
This LP deserves the best dog.
take Bernie

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Terry the Laserdog has my vote!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Boozedog.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Is Boozedog the only healer? If not is he a good healer, or is he quickly outclass by other healers?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blackunknown posted:

Is Boozedog the only healer? If not is he a good healer, or is he quickly outclass by other healers?

Other characters can learn healing skills. Bernie's a pretty good healers when he feels like doing it and will remain usable throughout the game...if he feels like doing it. The main issue he has is that he is run by the AI, not me.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I pick boozehound.

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
St Bernard the Berninator!

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Laserdog is the obvious choice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Current Votes
Bernie: 22
Terry: 19
Shiba: 2
Tosa: 0

I am going to be cutting off the vote at noon, EST, tomorrow.

And I'll pick whichever suggested name I like best, as always.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Let's go for Bernie.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mors Rattus posted:

Other characters can learn healing skills. Bernie's a pretty good healers when he feels like doing it and will remain usable throughout the game...if he feels like doing it. The main issue he has is that he is run by the AI, not me.

It's worth noting that this is going to be a problem no matter what dog we choose; Terry'll only use his laser-eyes when he feels like it too. Still, a man can dream. One day we'll be able to command animals to kill things with laser beams from their eyes. :sigh:

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008
Terrier.
Out of sentiment, I think I'd like to name them Ginger

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Name the Terrier Iggy

Guarstine
Sep 5, 2013

The Terrifying, Terrible, Terrier is the only choice.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Casting my vote for Iggy the Laserdog.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
You know what, I'm changing my vote. I am no longer voting for Bernie.

Instead, we need a laser terrier.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Terry the Laserdog

OmegaBeard
Sep 13, 2010
Gonna pile on to the Terrier named Iggy :bandwagon:!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Don't watch if you plan to play Bulletstorm anytime soon. the fun starts around 6:40, although watching from the start of the chapter is recommended for context.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
We must have the Fool. Terry and name him Iggy

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I'm ignoring the bandwagon and voting for Bernie. :colbert:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All right, we are closed!

The Terrier pulls a sudden reversal in the final hours and wins the vote!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He will be remembered. Always.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Mors Rattus posted:

YEEES.
He looks so tiny compared to his gun :kimchi:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mors Rattus posted:

Bernie :(

I suppose that a name change for Waggleton P. Tallylicker is out of the question?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Probably much too long.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Fat Samurai posted:

Bernie :(

I suppose that a name change for Waggleton P. Tallylicker is out of the question?

I don't think it'll fit.

Frankly, after the opening video, I was disappointed that you could only have one dog. At the very least, I wish they'd all follow your ever-growing tank convoy regardless of who was picked as primary combatant.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Update Seven: On the Hunt

The people have spoken, and who am I to disagree?

: ......

With Iggy in tow, we can now equip dog items! I don't have any dog armor, though. Let's see how he looks with a gun.

The weapons are not resized for each dog, as you can see. We head out into the hallway.

We grab this, along with the USP Slide and USP Frame. We also get jumped, allowing me to show what a dog attack looks like.

At the moment, he mostly does this. And not very helpfully in this case - those turrets are immune to damage while underground, though they have to come up to attack, and spend a turn doing that rather than any damage - so neither attacking nor defending is very helpful. Still, the AI is trying. Nearby, we find a teleporter!

A broken one. As far as I know there is no way to fix it.

This is the other side of the locked door in the main entry hallway.

Heading back the way we came from the dog room finds us another way down, then a room full of old computers. We head past that to another room, where the computers are still functioning, but are jumped on the way.

Eye Beam isn't visually impressive, but it does decent damage and only costs 30G. Once these dog enemies are defeated, however...

They have a chance to drop Gourmet Dogfood. This ia vital item.

This item makes a dog's coat 5 points shinier! When a dog dies, it loses coat shininess, so be sure not to let your dog die. You want a dog with a shiny coat. As shiny as you can get it. You see, coat shininess controls how intelligent your dog's AI is. Do everything you can to have the shiniest dog. Anyway...

These switches unlock two doors - the one in the entry hall that leads to the dog room, and one next door.

The one next door leads to this vending machine, where I manage to win the lights game and get a bonus Tile Pack L, a very good tank healing item. We head onwards to the next room. Most of the rooms in the dungeon are pretty empty, at least on this floor, but some aren't.

This room has these and the Small Sheath, components to make the Twin Fang. It and the USP, made with the components found earlier, are both good weapons. We head upstairs...

...and find ourselves back in the main entry hall. Heading up again...

...drops us in a corridor full of doors. This is the facility's storage area and barracks. Well, was, when it was in use. I grab an E1 chip from a nearby room, but it fills my inventory. The E1 Chip is one of many components involved in a much later assembly. I decide that, rather than trash anything, I am going to leave the dungeon and offload crap. This is usually a good decision - there's no real penalty for it, and you can always come back. The only time it might be bad is if it triggers an event you don't want yet. Leaving does trigger an event in this case, but nothing I'm worried about being too early. Specifically, when we leave, we find Connie and Clive chatting outside.

: *sigh* Oh well...

: aren't technically dogs per se... They're just designed to look like dogs. (I think...) ...They look pretty strong to me.
: Well, we don't have time to raise them and clean up puppy messes... We need to move on to our next destination.
: Yeah, yeah... Whatever.

And they leave. I head back to Junkyard, drop off a bunch of crap, and hand in my Scrap Armor. Let's talk about that.

When your Protector is damaged, it becomes useless Scrap Armor. You can turn in Scrap Armor for stamps. When you get enough stamps, you can purchase the really great Protectors the Scrap Shop has to offer - some of the best in the game, if you save up enough. While in Junkyard, I stop for some drinks.

All right, that should prepare us for our final lootgathering! I head back to the Biogenetics Lab and check out the top floor.

Most of the northern rooms in the hallway look like this. I grab some Growgaine (a rather useless item for growing hair), a Healing Drink, an Egyptian Hood (which goes on Max for the defense boost), a Satcom Strap (a useless item that keeps satcoms from falling on the floor and breaking), another Big Medal and the Slugger, a melee weapon. It's a baseball bat that's not quite on par with what we're wielding but which deals explosive damage.

Most of the southern rooms look like this one. I grab an L2 Chip, a Tile Pack S, an O1 Chip, an L1 Chip, a Kevy Shirt, a Pandemonium and a Juice. The Chips are all for assembling an item much later. The Pandemonium is a target-all gun that is better than the ones we've found so far, but which none of our current party can use. The Juice is fruit juice. That's all for the lab, though by the end of it, Iggy has 20 Shininess. We head out and back to Junkyard for more item management, and also to stop in and see Emily. It's been a while.

Monsters of the Biogenetics Lab

These guys can take a hit, but we throw out a lot of hits. Gourmet Dogfood is valuable, so it might be a good idea to hunt them a little if your dog isn't acting very smart.

You run into these guys a lot with the Canine Cannons. I don't like them - most enemies in the Biogenetics Lab use explosive damage, see, which the Shock Absorber protector will drop to 1 without breaking. Killer Blobs deal physical damage, and any physical damage at all will destroy a Shock Absorber without any reduction.

They only thing interesting about these guys is that they start underground and can't be hurt until they pop up - at least, not with the skills we've got. They deal explosive damage.

The Groin Guns can be annoying, as they mix physical attacks and explosive attacks. They also hit pretty hard. On the other hand, they drop junk.

: ......?
: Whatta cuuuute widdle puppy!!!

: So, what'd you name it?
: Awww who's da nicest doggie ever? Iggy is! Yes, Iggy is!
: Hee hee hee!

Emily actually has unique reactions for each dog, and we'll see those eventually. Also, sometimes, when you rest at home...

...Emily will wake you up. That's nice of her. We head back to East Zero to make some weapons.

The Twin Fang and USP are both dual wield wepaons. They are, numerically, on par with Max's current weapon, the Jambiya, but are only usable by Soldiers. Dual-wield is required to use certain skills and I am pretty sure it can give extra damage, but there aren't many dual-wield weapons, so I might be remembering wrong. Anyway, now that we have a dog I feel confident taking on that Trader Camp we ignored before. Actually, I'm massively overlevelled for it, but I remembered it being harder than it actually is.

(Click here to watch the cutscenes and fights!)

When we enter the camp, we find a scene of carnage. I suggest you watch the video for this one - there's a lot of panning around and movement that I can't capture well in text. The idea seems to be that we're seeing this from Max's eyes.

Trader: S-Stay away... Hurry... Get far away... from this camp! Go...!
Barbarian A: They've got water... and food! Look at all this money!
Barbarian B: Man! I never knew Traders were this rich!

Barbarian C: ...But not too bad. Bwa ha ha ha ha!
Trader: It's the... League of Uncivilized Barbarians... ...Run!

Obviously, if you choose to flee, the event ends. Don't do that - this is the only shot you get, and it's actually a pretty important event.

Trader: Hurry... Whjat are you doing...!?
Barbarian A: ...Eh? Who the hell're you?

Barbarian A: We have orders to kill everyone. EVERYONE. So that means we gotta kill you guys, too!

We get in a fight with these goons. They are pushovers.

Iggy can take them out on his own, pretty much, and they can't hurt any of us, even him. And he's naked! Even when we first saw this camp - hell, even before we got Misha - we could have taken these guys.

: But, this is the end. Yer first mistake was messin' with us, da' League of Uncivilized Barbarians! Yer second mistake was that you didn't run away. Hope you got a coffin.

Now we have to fight Mad Maxwell's tank and his goons. This would be a challenge, back when we first saw the place. One we might be able to survive, though. After all, this part doesn't last long. The goons are the same as before - pushovers.

Mad Maxwell will fire his main gun. On my tanks as they are now, it does barely anything. It'd be more damaging if I were using less upgraded tanks, though - and more noticeable if their engines weren't so powerful. However, after around two rounds of combat, the fight ends automatically. Someone's getting involved...

: Tee hee... That was fun! I can't believe how easy it was to scrap that Armored 8-Wheeler... A tin can woulda been more challenging!
: That witch! What's she doing here in the East!?
: That wasn't so bad. It's not as tough as it looks. ...Oh, hey kid! What're you doing here?
: Hm... Maybe I should have thought that through. Oh well! Well I took out the big guns for you, so good luck with the leftovers.

She leaves.

: NOBODY makes a fool out of me! We'll take care a' her later... For now, we're gonna mess you up, and good!

Now, we have to fight Mad Maxwell by himself.

This is the main reason it's not so bad if you do it earlier. Every other turn, he uses Stance, doing nothing except prepping one of his other attacks. Meanwhile, we rain down the main guns on him.

Shoulder Cannon is single-target and would probably do decent-ish damage if it were accurate. At normal levels for doing this it'd be something to worry about.

Hand Grenade hits the whole party with minor explosive damage. No big deal, at least if you have a vehicle. I would not want to deal with Mad Maxwell using non-vehicle armor. Still, he's a pushover for me right now.

Once he's defeated, we head back to Newfolk. Scarlet is hanging out at the bar.

It doesn't really matter which one you pick.

: Huh...?
: ...Hahahahahahaha!
: You've got it all wrong. I only look out for myself.
: You're talking about that camp, right? The truth is, I heard all the ruckus and didn't want to miss out on the fun.
: It just so happened that you managed to survive. Believe me, helping you was the last thing on my mind.

She starts to walk off.

: See ya later, kid. And, be sure to toughen up!

And she leaves. We head for the Newfolk Hunter's Office.

Hunter Office: ...What? You already defeated him? I spent all that time making this too...

A trio of men arrive.

Military Dude: I'm with the Blueberry Army.

BB Trooper: If you notice anything out of the ordinary, please report it to one of our staff members.

Hunter Office: ...Wow, those people were loud.

So, let's check out the office guy's work, he deserves it.

We get a cool 3000G for taking him out.

Mad Maxwell's Crew

I decide that, having beaten Maxwell, I want to see if I can take Hammer Hydra at this level. I get my tanks repaired for what little they need and head out.

(Click here for the boss fight!)

Hammer Hydra can be challenging - the main reason I'm confident is how much SP I have. Those engines were definitely worth it. He has a few tricks - including one he never used, which would have made the fight rather more difficult.

His main trick is his bite - once, enough to wipe out an entire tank in one hit. Now, it's not quite so fearsome. Sure, it still hits hard, but we have a lot of SP to tank with. However, it has a chance of damaging a part anyway.

His tail swing attacks the entire party, if not very accurately. It isn't a threat at all. In addition, Hammer Hydra can go underground and heal. While he's underground, he regenerates 250 HP per turn and can't be hit by anything we have right now. He never bothered to use it.

We get 2500G for taking him out, once we stop by the Hunter's Office of East Zero. Worth it, I think. I forgot to grab a screenshot of his Satcom entry, so expect that next time.

Diary Entries

Now! Having done some checking, I have decided it's time to get our fourth party member. So! Please vote on whether you want to see Charlene, the cowgirl who specializes in guns...

...or Rashid, the Middle Eastern swordsman.

AngryOlScotchCup
Dec 6, 2008

Looking down, watching the world's progress.
I usually went with Charlene when I played, so this time around I'd like to see Rashid get some love.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Rashid is pretty awesome, but Charlene gets bazookas. :black101:

Not that it'll matter too much since they can both drive tanks.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Choose Rashid and never look back.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Charlene because, y'know, Max is a pimp like that.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Boobs, I mean, Charlene

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Charlene. I mean Boobs.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Charlene