Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Irregular At Magic High School (Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei) is an adaptation of a series of light novels by Satou Tsutomu. It is a bad show based on bad light novels.

Shiba Tatsuya and his absolutely blood-related sister Miyuki enroll in a magic high school. Miyuki is at the top of her class, while Tatsuya is relegated to a weird underclass within the school. As such, Tatsuya faces discrimination from other students. However, Tatsuya is actually totally awesome in every way but the education system just isn't equipped to recognize this. Let's go over all the ways he is wonderful!

He is a skilled martial artist.
Scored the highest on the written exams.
Can tell what magic is being cast before anyone else.
His sister wants to gently caress him and worships him like a god. This is her defining character trait.
Lots of other girls also eventually fall madly in love with him for no particular reason.
He is secretly the famous magic engineer "Silver" (hahaha).
Is probably the smartest person alive?
Likely the strongest mage in the world.
He secretly belongs to a special forces unit in the military.
He can dispel magic.
He automatically regenerates from any wound.
He can completely heal anyone's recent injuries.
He can disintegrate any and all matter at will.
He can split atoms, which is essentially the ability to set off nukes.
He has special eyes, which allow him to see the true nature of any and all magic.

In short, this is the story of Tatsuya beating people upside the head with how amazing he is until they grudgingly acknowledge it. Well, men. Women tend to unconditionally accept his innate superiority. However, he has a tragic flaw which humanizes him. His brain was rewired, leaving him unable to feel any emotions other than (non-romantic) love toward his sister. That this simply makes him impassive and cool is totally a coincidence, you guys!

Aside from how astoundingly terrible Tatsuya is, this series also features Satou's deeply unsettling views on women and nationalism. Dude is hosed in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Why?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Watching a god interact with humans is always worth watching.

If he can do all this stuff, why is he even going to magic school?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Is this one of those so bad you have to watch it things? Because otherwise it sounds like the worst parts of anime conveniently mixed together in a remorseless cash grab.

...now I made myself want to watch at least one episode.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

watching a bad show about creepy incest because it is "so bad" isnt a defense for watching the creepy bad show about incest

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
finally, my hogwarts OC has been bought to life

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Unfortunately, this show is a bit too disgusting to watch for humor value.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I had hoped for a Marvel Disc Wars-style fanfiction trainwreck but-

Clarste posted:

-alas, it was not to be. Creepy garbage do not watch.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

watching a bad show about creepy incest because it is "so bad" isnt a defense for watching the creepy bad show about incest

Thank you, everyone knows anime's obsession with incest is weird, creepy, and vile. Can you actually answer my question instead of being a shitposter?

Clarste posted:

There we go, an actual answer to my question. Now I can happily forget about this anime.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

pnumoman posted:

Thank you, everyone knows anime's obsession with incest is weird, creepy, and vile. Can you actually answer my question instead of being a shitposter?

i bolded the important parts

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

i bolded the important parts

Thanks for showing off your terrible reading comprehension.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

pnumoman posted:

Thanks for showing off your terrible reading comprehension.

yea my bad. normally if someone mentions the shows has weird incest in it i would just pass, but i forgot literally every anime released is wrought with creepy incest, and we need people to tell us which shows have the least creepy incest in them so know what to watch and not watch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Let me clarify something. This is a bad show. You should not watch it. It is not self-aware, it is not clever, it is not intentionally funny. Some people (like me) will watch it anyway while griping about how terrible it is, which is what this thread is for.

However, if someone wants to earnestly defend it feel free. It would probably be more entertaining than the show itself.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

Some people (like me) will watch it anyway while griping about how terrible it is, which is what this thread is for.

That defense works when we're talking things like Tom Preston where the content is relatively fresh during the thread's lifespan - discovering stupid poo poo in his history, compared to stupid poo poo he does today that's different from other people, etc. When you literally acknowledge that the thread is about yet another tired anime using played-out cliches, you can't really say you're mining it for fresh content unless they do something ridiculously depraved or amazing with it. Otherwise it's going to be pages of "yep, this stupid anime sure is stupid :effort:".

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StevenM posted:

That defense works when we're talking things like Tom Preston where the content is relatively fresh during the thread's lifespan - discovering stupid poo poo in his history, compared to stupid poo poo he does today that's different from other people, etc. When you literally acknowledge that the thread is about yet another tired anime using played-out cliches, you can't really say you're mining it for fresh content unless they do something ridiculously depraved or amazing with it. Otherwise it's going to be pages of "yep, this stupid anime sure is stupid :effort:".

Truth be told the best "so bad it's good stuff" is incredibly rare, it's usually when they do unexpected things executed terribly that a show fulfills that sort of thing.

Here? Well, uh, we have incest stuff and a really dull main character. I tried watching 3 episodes with a friend and it's mostly just a slog, there's not even a lot to make fun of since it's a poorly executed by the numbers show. All the characters are just the typical archetypes you've seen handled better in other shows (here they only exist to talk about how the MC is awesome), except for the main character whose only "flaw" is that he doesn't have a personality. Incidentally, that makes it really easy for him to function as a power fantasy for the viewer!

It's just pretty hard to make fun of a show that's bad in the blandest possible ways, really.

Fauxami
Jun 19, 2013
If there's any reason to watch this, it's for the music by Taku Iwasaki. He was the composer for Gatchaman Crowds and Noragami.

It's a shame his work is being wasted on a show like this, though.

Fauxami fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 25, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That seems to be more an argument for grabbing the OST when it comes out than anything else!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Let me clarify something. This is a bad show. You should not watch it. It is not self-aware, it is not clever, it is not intentionally funny. Some people (like me) will watch it anyway while griping about how terrible it is, which is what this thread is for.

However, if someone wants to earnestly defend it feel free. It would probably be more entertaining than the show itself.

I read a few of the novels after the rear end in a top hat who got me the Gundam Unicorn novels said that this would be right up my alley and, in all honesty? The books are a waste of the paper they were printed on. For example, I'm sure almost everyone in this forum can agree that the Index novels (and almost every other side-story and their adaptations thereof) are crappy as hell, but every once in a while, goofy and / or cool stuff happens. Like Srice said, it's very rare to find a "So bad it turns right back into good" type of series. Index is not straight-up good, but every once in a while, it's so god-awfully bad / goofy that it almost justifies all the bullshit. Almost.

This doesn't even reach into that. The main dude is a gigantic non-entity, his sister is a loving annoyance/bore (on top of also being kinda creepy) and the info-dumps would be comical if they weren't also, well, everywhere. Most of the rest of the cast don't even matter because there's very little to them as characters. The fact that, as a dude with the crippling need to stick with something until the end, I decided to drop the novel even though I stopped in the first part of the second arc. Seriously.

I do have a question, though: I was looking around the wikipedia page and, reading through the characters page, I noticed that Tomokazu Sugita is basically voicing Hidenori in a fantasy setting. So my curiosity is: In the 3 episodes that have aired so far, has anything being re-written to have him goof around with Tatsuya?

I know it's not like in Gintama where they can poke fun when something retarded rears its ugly head, but a man can dream.

vvvv e: Even the pacing is garbage, then. gently caress this, I'm out.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 25, 2014

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
The last episode ended with tatsuya arresting sugita's character and he showed up in like the last five minutes so not really.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm glad I stopped watching this show about 10 minutes in. It sounds like it doesn't ever get any better.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Wow at such negativity in the thread. So far the first three episodes were quite good. This is the only anime this season which caught my interest. Admittedly, only because I've read a few volumes of the original.

I really liked magic system which the author incorporated in his story, some of the spells will be used quite creatively (my personal favorite is a barrier guy). Socially adept version of Sagara Sousuke (FMP) as a main character is also a good point in my book. And for all the "Gary Stu"-ness of main character, he would still have a few close calls in the series. Too bad that most of the comedy would probably be lost due to the absence of Tatsuya's thought process, but such is a reality of almost all LN/VN adaptations.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 25, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I recognize it has flaws but just happen to like it. :shrug: I like the magic, the fights, and yeah, the characters are interesting to me, though I can see why they don't appeal to others.

MrCinos posted:

And for all the "Gary Stu"-ness of main cahracter, he would still have a few close calls in the series.

I think Tatsuya's main flaw is his lack of social skills. That said, he still has a group of friends already.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So, I got a question: What is supposed to be compelling about the magic system anyways?

I get that there's magic, and they also use technology and something about magic guns. But that's all they've really said.

It's actually quite remarkable. There are bad authors that sperg about their magic system all day, but at least with those cases even if they feel like you're reading a D&D rulebook there is something tangible. It might not be good writing, but at least you can say something about it. Even if it is something like "Sheepomancers can only use wool magic after eating sheep" or something inane like that.

But here? They've spent a *lot* of time talking about the magic system, but it's all technobabble that is completely meaningless. I get the feeling that this is being written for someone who has already read the LNs because man, they sure spend a lot of time to say what ultimately winds up as something that means very little to me.

I couldn't even begin to talk about the magic in this even if someone held a gun to my head. I'd probably ramble about how they use technology or something but after that? Damned if I could say anything else.

Though of course it doesn't help that they infodump all this info in the dullest possible way to boot.

e: Also regarding all the "negativity" in the thread, most people are backing up their statements with pretty compelling points!

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 25, 2014

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I'm going to continue watching this to figure out the hype. This is suppose to be massively popular in Japan and after watching the first three episodes I have no idea why. Nothing really happened.

I have no clue what the overarching plot of this could be. Protagonist dude has no personality, even less than most self-insert characters. And what is with that sister character? She basically worships the ground Tatsuya walks on. She can't even take a compliment without getting flustered and pointing out her brother is much better in that area than her. She can't seem to do anything without getting his approval. There's no humor, every interaction is pretty dry, it's not even sleazy as far a fanservice is concerned.

I mean I can see the appeal of Sword Art Online but this? :shrug:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

I'm going to continue watching this to figure out the hype. This is suppose to be massively popular in Japan and after watching the first three episodes I have no idea why. Nothing really happened.

I have no clue what the overarching plot of this could be. Protagonist dude has no personality, even less than most self-insert characters. And what is with that sister character? She basically worships the ground Tatsuya walks on. She can't even take a compliment without getting flustered and pointing out her brother is much better in that area than her. She can't seem to do anything without getting his approval. There's no humor, every interaction is pretty dry, it's not even sleazy as far a fanservice is concerned.

I mean I can see the appeal of Sword Art Online but this? :shrug:

I feel like the first 3 episodes could have easily been done in one, maybe one and a half episodes.

Even ignoring the incest, and ignoring the fact that the main character's "flaw" is literally supposed to be that he has no personality (and that stuff is very hard to ignore!), there's also the fact that they spent a gigantic amount of time introducing characters and immediately benching them. Most of them have, so far, only served to drop one liners about how awesome the MC is.

If you cut out the pointless infodumping about magic and only introduce the characters that are going to be relevant in the near future...well, it would still be a terrible show, but it would be slightly less boring.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why this is so popular. At least in the first episode of SAO there was a hook to the story. Sure, it didn't take long to poo poo the bed, but at least that first episode could give viewers a reason to watch more. Here? Oi. That was an incredibly dull way to open up the series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

I couldn't even begin to talk about the magic in this even if someone held a gun to my head. I'd probably ramble about how they use technology or something but after that? Damned if I could say anything else.

Though of course it doesn't help that they infodump all this info in the dullest possible way to boot.

It does get a lot better explained in the manga and light novel(I'm reading and keeping pace with the show). Basically particles called psions are channeled into the CAD's, which processes the psions into spells. I think that's kind of close to how magic would really work in a modern/future setting, hypothetically.

Srice posted:

e: Also regarding all the "negativity" in the thread, most people are backing up their statements with pretty compelling points!
Which are valid, but aren't too big a deal for me.

Stall_19 posted:

I'm going to continue watching this to figure out the hype. This is suppose to be massively popular in Japan and after watching the first three episodes I have no idea why.

It's also popular in China despite the light novel supposedly(not questioning the claims, just not read that far to avoid spoilers) being racist. Probably for so bad it's good reasons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

WickedHate posted:

It does get a lot better explained in the manga and light novel(I'm reading and keeping pace with the show). Basically particles called psions are channeled into the CAD's, which processes the psions into spells. I think that's kind of close to how magic would really work in a modern/future setting, hypothetically.

So they could have just said that and saved what, 10-15 minutes over the course of 3 episodes? You were able to explain in a few sentences what this anime couldn't in several lengthy scenes.

That just sounds like a combination of magic and nanomachines tho, I guess I don't get what's special about that! Heck, it seems like a generic sort of technology that is indistinguishable from magic setup even.

Srice fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 25, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stall_19 posted:

She basically worships the ground Tatsuya walks on. She can't even take a compliment without getting flustered and pointing out her brother is much better in that area than her. She can't seem to do anything without getting his approval.

I watched the first episode, it's prob the fact that he saved her life and, being his sister, she probably knows that he's essentially (according to the OP) wizard god.

That said though, having her be nice to him and hyper-defensive regarding slurs against him is one thing and would be justifiable given the above, but for some reason they unironically went with her being in love with him.

loving :japan:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Srice posted:

So they could have just said that and saved what, 10-15 minutes over the course of 3 episodes? You were able to explain in a few sentences what this anime couldn't in several lengthy scenes.

I dislike that things aren't explained thoroughly either. I have issues about staying focused, remembering things, and taking in information, so it kind of sent me into a panic a couple of times like when they mention "helmetsplitting" without going into what it is or what makes it special, and I had to rewatch it to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Srice posted:

That just sounds like a combination of magic and nanomachines tho, I guess I don't get what's special about that! Heck, it seems like a generic sort of technology that is indistinguishable from magic setup even.

A lot of it depends on innate ability. While you might not think so based on the initial premise, the author seems to really, really love the concept of elitism. There are a bunch of wealthy, influential mage families who are just plain better at magic than anyone else. Surprise, Tatsuya and Miyuki secretly belong to one of them!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of it depends on innate ability. While you might not think so based on the initial premise, the author seems to really, really love the concept of elitism. There are a bunch of wealthy, influential mage families who are just plain better at magic than anyone else. Surprise, Tatsuya and Miyuki secretly belong to one of them!

I kinda figured since they never stop talking about mudbloods weeds and pretty much all of the conflicts in the show thus far has been about that!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This poo poo seems to sprout up almost single comic that takes place even within the general vicinity of any kind of school or work recently, is it the new editorially-mandated hip and trendy plot or something?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pierson posted:

This poo poo seems to sprout up almost single comic that takes place even within the general vicinity of any kind of school or work recently, is it the new editorially-mandated hip and trendy plot or something?

Here, the only thing wrong with elitism is that the author's self-insert isn't included. I kind of hate Satou without knowing anything about him.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Here, the only thing wrong with elitism is that the author's self-insert isn't included. I kind of hate Satou without knowing anything about him.

The discrimination in general is presented as being bad. Issues are raised with Course 2 students not having a say in anything, and Tatsuya's friends being put down is also in an obviously negative light.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Personally I think the best guy in the show so far was the student counsel vice-president, who was likeable in a vaguely Frank Grimes sort of way. Dude was the only sane guy, and he raised completely valid questions about nepotism and such while everyone was busy fellating the main character.

Too bad he was ruined after losing that duel :smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Srice posted:

Personally I think the best guy in the show so far was the student counsel vice-president, who was likeable in a vaguely Frank Grimes sort of way. Dude was the only sane guy, and he raised completely valid questions about nepotism and such while everyone was busy fellating the main character.

Too bad he was ruined after losing that duel :smith:

"The student magic patrol has to deal with magic fights. You freely admit that you are not good at magic, a fact which you literally wear on your sleeve. Why are you being considered for this duty again? Oh right since I'm an obvious straw man I'll just be as rude as possible about my perfectly valid reservations."

And later: "Grrr, I hate to admit it but you are obviously better than me and the entire education system. It is very unfair that they only test things you are bad at, as opposed to testing your ability to write awkward technobabble and creepy, voyeuristic descriptions of teenage girls to uh... do some other kind of magic?"

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I finally got around to watching the most recent episode, and I still think this is the blandest show I have ever seen. I really want to see to what depths this goes, but I think I will let a slight backlog fill up first.

I do like how it seems that the magic is, in general, more science and having money, than it is about finger-waggly, abracadabra, hocus-pocus stuff. Everything is still hand-waved away, but :shrug:.

I really think this show could be good it it stopped the incest, stopped the MC dick-stroking, and gave people personalities, but I am really doubting that will happen. I wonder how much more interesting this show would be while drunk...?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically the author's beef is not with elitism per se, but with the fact that I, worthless shut-in nerd who consumes LNs, should be the one in charge.

Compare with One Punch Man who made the statement and turned it into a farce.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I like the math magic at least. And the rest of the cast ain't bad. Plus there's some morbid enjoyment in watching god walk among mortals. That's probably why Gundam SEED was popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
"No-one in the world can possibly beat ~onee-sama~; he's so great!"
"Boy yes, I sure am! Look, I came up with this revolutionary theory, implemented it, and thought through the ramifications like a boss!"

*LATER*

"~Onee-sama~, if people got wind of your true power they'd hound you forever!"
"Hm, yes, maybe we should try shutting the gently caress up about how great I am?"
[Together:] "Nahhh."

• Locked thread