Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even if it was never part of the EU because it's just a fan film, Blackstar Warrior will always remain canon in my heart.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

jivjov posted:

Not sure how to link directly to a tweet while I'm mobile, but the twitter person in question is @jenheddle and she's a senior editor at Lucas Licensing. Here's a couple of the relevant tweets copy-pasted:

@Hoopserwan It's all non-canon, but it all exists as a resource that could be used down the line.

@Drhilljr Existing stories are there as a resource. But only new stories going forward are part of this "one universe."

Ok, Thanks.

Actually, those tweets just prove my point - the EU is gone, but NOT entirely - they will (already have also, I believe) take elements out of the EU and make them canon, which makes those elements no longer gone, so the EU can't be gone entirely if bits and pieces are "saved" into canon.

I think I'm diving into semantics. I think everybody now knows what everybody "means", so we should be good to go now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the "bigger" EU bits are mined for the new continuity, but its for the best that they're just putting everything in the non-canon box at first rather than trying to pick and choose a list of what is and isn't canon from the word go.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wow, I knew Clone Wars can pretty violent for a cartoon but I never expected to see a Jedi decapitate several enemies at once on screen.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The MSJ posted:

Wow, I knew Clone Wars can pretty violent for a cartoon but I never expected to see a Jedi decapitate several enemies at once on screen.

Because no one gets decapitated in the films, right?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There was an impaling that Cartoon Network edited short too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The MSJ posted:

That was an under appreciated arc. The leader of the Deathwatch was a good villain with a good VA. Ashoka got an actual - well, almost - romantic side story. She got to do stuff on her own and develop quite a bit. There was a lot to like in those episodes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The MSJ posted:

That's some absolutely beautiful ambience going on in those scenes, I didn't know that series could look so good!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Clone Wars is actually pretty good. Too many people write it off directly as some kind of kids show. Sure it had a rocky start, but the animation, and depth of the political landscape quickly solidified. It is surprisingly violent and dark for what we would expect to be broadcast for American animation.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 27, 2014

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MrBigglesworth posted:

Clone Wars is actually pretty good. Too many people write it off directly as some kind of kids show. Sure it had a rocky start, but the animation, and depth of the political landscape quickly solidified. It is surprisingly violent and dark for what we would expect to be broadcast for American animation.

It was actually the art design for the characters that turned me off. They're too blocky, too huge-eyed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

THE BAR posted:

It was actually the art design for the characters that turned me off. They're too blocky, too huge-eyed.

I gave the show a total pass for this reason also, but watching it on Netflix now it's an excellent family show. They do a good job keeping things just black and white enough that a kid can follow it while still allowing for you to look at it and say "man, these Jedi are kind of out of touch" and to make a kid think twice about what's going on. Most shows made for kids are so awful today that that's all I ask.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
I grew up in the Star Wars EU. I spent 20+ years immersed in it, knowing the how and why to everything that made up Star Wars. It was mine. SW knowledge was my (admittedly lame) super power. And now it's gone. I don't know anything more than anybody else who has seen the movies and it feels like... I don't know. Feels like I imagine a Jedi Master would feel if his connection to the Force just disappeared one day.

It makes me regret the absurd amount of time I spent living in a universe that wasn't my own. I used it as an escape and I shouldn't have. Up until today, I still did. And I shouldn't. I'm 27 years old and I know more about the history of Coruscant than the history of Earth. Or I did, anyway. It's time.

I will see the new movies, passively. When I have time. Maybe I will like them. Maybe my kids will. I always imagined I would be heartbroken if my kids didn't like Star Wars, but right now, in this moment... It just doesn't seem important in the least.

This used to be my universe.

Now it's Disney's "legend".

I can't help but think of all the useful things I could have been reading, could have been passionate about as a child, teen, and adult.

Is it time wasted? Is there a lesson to learn in all of this?

It doesn't matter. I think I'm done here. Those of you hanging on for the next chapter, enjoy the ride. I'm sure it will be great.

The Force will be with you... Always*.

*unless Disney decides it isn't

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
You will see it actively. Don't try to make any of us think that you are stronger than your desire to see new content.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're not in a quote thread, it might help other posters avoid confusion if you indicate that you're quoting someone.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The EU I was exposed to were mostly me making Kyle Katarn flip around trying to execute a lightsaber instakill attack on dark Jedis.

Yes, behold the EU as I remember it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmD-HlPAVTw

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Misandrist Duck posted:

I grew up in the Star Wars EU. I spent 20+ years immersed in it, knowing the how and why to everything that made up Star Wars. It was mine.
"You merely adopted the expanded universe. I was born in it, moulded by it'

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
The press release regarding the EU says the new, canon novels start with the Rebels prequel. Then there's Tarkin, Lord of the Sith, and Heir to the Jedi. But Heir to the Jedi is the third part of Empire and Rebellion. So anyone know if the other two in that series will be Legends or not? If not, maybe I'll go pick em up. The Han Solo one just came out. I don't think they're dependent upon legacy EU, but neither were they developed with the LF Story Group.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Were they specifically mentioned as going in? When they say "new stories" I assume they mean storylines that are untainted.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Misandrist Duck posted:

I grew up in the Star Wars EU. I spent 20+ years immersed in it, knowing the how and why to everything that made up Star Wars. It was mine. SW knowledge was my (admittedly lame) super power. And now it's gone. I don't know anything more than anybody else who has seen the movies and it feels like... I don't know. Feels like I imagine a Jedi Master would feel if his connection to the Force just disappeared one day.

It makes me regret the absurd amount of time I spent living in a universe that wasn't my own. I used it as an escape and I shouldn't have. Up until today, I still did. And I shouldn't. I'm 27 years old and I know more about the history of Coruscant than the history of Earth. Or I did, anyway. It's time.

I will see the new movies, passively. When I have time. Maybe I will like them. Maybe my kids will. I always imagined I would be heartbroken if my kids didn't like Star Wars, but right now, in this moment... It just doesn't seem important in the least.

I can't help but think of all the useful things I could have been reading, could have been passionate about as a child, teen, and adult.

It doesn't matter. I think I'm done here. Those of you hanging on for the next chapter, enjoy the ride. I'm sure it will be great.

lmao

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
drat, I've been watching the clone wars on Netflix, and this Darth Maul arc... actually isn't that bad. Even the little interval with the droid commando team wasn't too bad either. I feel like the part with the amnesiac clone was a good indication of "this is the last time you'll see this style of helmet" which kind of at the same time said to me "this is the last time the Republic does something selfless for its people" in a roundabout way. Then the episode where Maul chops off the leader of death watch's head was pretty dang cool as well. I really thought bringing him back would be this show's jumping of the shark but it's actually getting even better.

e: oh drat he just killed satine

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 28, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Also, I totally called this a year ago when the (other) nerds at work were going on about how there's so much cannon in the EU and it's all so interconnected and well-cared for, and all I could think is that its all overloaded crap and needs to be thrown out anyway.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Even before this announcement, "well-cared for" means "ready to be pruned if something overwrites it later".

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Misandrist Duck posted:

same

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Misandrist Duck can you link to where you got that post from? I find it really hard to believe that those are your true feelings.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Misandrist Duck posted:

This is the ponciest thing I have ever read on this website, and I have read a whole bunch of SuperMechaGodzilla posts.

Anyway, I kind of like that it is going to be a new, alternate canon. The EU nerds (admittedly including myself) will have their "one true canon" and Disney/Lucasfilm can pull from Legends as they see fit, like a word bank on a 2nd grader's worksheet. Brave new world!

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Misandrist Duck posted:

There was never any chance that Disney were going to adapt what was little more than glorified fan fiction for its films, so stop being ridiculous.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I for one am glad that the EU has gone. It was terrible. Really awful. If I could take a pill to wipe knowledge that it existed out of my mind I would.
Im actually trying now to think of a redeeming thing from it but cant. I did stop reading it after Dark Empire II so something good might have happened.

To get your panties in a bunch at Disney's decision is just weird. Saying that you feel like you lost your super power is very odd indeed. I can't get my head around the statement. Its sad that this is what you chose as your "thing", just like those strange people that collect plastic bags and poo poo.

I love the OT. I saw Star Wars when I was 6 on 1977 and it blew my mind and I obsessed over it and collected all the stickers and had the duvet cover and wallpaper.

I class myself as a bit of a nerd and had a tough childhood but I feel sad when people latch onto things this strongly. There is more to life than this people.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't think that there's ever been such a major case of the people behind a property, and in this case a hobby, have come out and restructured things like this before. The expanded universe is only a hair younger than the films themselves, Splinter of the Mind's Eye came out not too long after A New Hope after all. For some fans, the EU is more Star Wars than actual Star Wars is. I quite literally grew up with the young readers and young adult Star Wars fiction, and as a kid I didn't really understand that this wasn't just as important as the actual films in the saga. To me, it was just "more Star Wars". More continuing adventures of Han and Leia's kids, of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon pre Phantom Menace, and so on.

For someone like me who grew up seeing the EU not as the "expanded" universe, but just "the Star Wars universe", having all of those stories rendered non-canon is a really jarring experience. Collecting and reading Star Wars fiction was a MAJOR part of my life, all the way back to bring 6 years old and seeing the Special Editions in theaters with my dad. I'm not so socially maladjusted that I'm suffering major life distress over this decision, but it's still a huge shift in what was, and in many ways still is, a gigantic part of my life.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Wouldn't it be healthier to consider the new stuff to be a reboot, and come to terms with the fact that no more "real" Star Wars material will be produced?

The old stuff isn't going away, that would be like lamenting the old TMNT cartoon show every time a new series shows up.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Burning every piece of EU content in a big bonfire while weeping and cutting would be a healthier response than the one some people are having.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bongo Bill posted:

If you're not in a quote thread, it might help other posters avoid confusion if you indicate that you're quoting someone.

It's a joke, lighten up

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

THE BAR posted:

The old stuff isn't going away, that would be like lamenting the old TMNT cartoon show every time a new series shows up.

You think they don't do that?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

THE BAR posted:

Wouldn't it be healthier to consider the new stuff to be a reboot, and come to terms with the fact that no more "real" Star Wars material will be produced?

The problem there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csn1j65e7oQ

Toward the end they are in this weird chamber which has a view screen on every possible aspect of the turtles in one place. The comics. The various series, the movies, and everyone is aware of all incarnations....Star Wars and TMNT really cant compare in that vein.

If people had realized that all content post ROTJ was just "authorizations" from Lucasfilm and not being produced BY Lucasfilm as I had, this wouldn't hurt as much. It is simply entertainment. When you die 40+ years from now, none of this is going to loving matter. No, you can't have a refund because Disney said your stuff isn't a part of the official line.

Starfury
Feb 28, 2014

RUSSIAN WHORE AND SHAMELESS SUCKER OF PUTIN'S COCK. PLEASE VOVA, FILL MY THROAT WITH YOUR DELICIOUS HOT PROPAGANDA (AND CUM), I CAN'T EVER GET ENOUGH!!

THE BAR posted:

Lucas always considered only his beloved movies as a canon.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

The problem there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csn1j65e7oQ

Toward the end they are in this weird chamber which has a view screen on every possible aspect of the turtles in one place. The comics. The various series, the movies, and everyone is aware of all incarnations....Star Wars and TMNT really cant compare in that vein.

If people had realized that all content post ROTJ was just "authorizations" from Lucasfilm and not being produced BY Lucasfilm as I had, this wouldn't hurt as much. It is simply entertainment. When you die 40+ years from now, none of this is going to loving matter. No, you can't have a refund because Disney said your stuff isn't a part of the official line.

You're quite right, none of it matters. It is fiction.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
You have taken your first step into a larger world! -- James T Kirk

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
The big question coming out of the EU mess is where this puts the Ewok TV movies. I'll riot if that means my namesake no longer exists. :colbert:

Seriously though, did any of the story group people mention whether those or the holiday special still count? I must know whether Chewie's dad still got off on the space porn or not.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Teek posted:

The big question coming out of the EU mess is where this puts the Ewok TV movies. I'll riot if that means my namesake no longer exists. :colbert:

If there is a God the new JJ Abrams movies will be direct sequels this the Ewok Trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is an imaginary story... aren't they all?

• Locked thread