Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
No information that I know of yet, but they did show off a version of Leviathan's theme with a female singer instead of a male one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQTEbkVK9CI (2:58 mark)

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I've been working on getting Provoke and Awareness on my Warrior by grinding out Gladiator and man, I just feel like I have a such harder time keeping aggro without Overpower. Like there's Flash Spam, but it's much less...consistent as soon as a battle gets going. Is there a trick to this?

I feel like I'm switching targets a lot more is what I'm saying. While I could lean back on the couch and play Warrior with a controller, I feel like I have to switch over to a mouse to play Gladiator.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 27, 2014

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Ciaphas posted:

Haven't played since late 2.1, and I fell way behind on content completion--namely, never did extreme primals or Ultima HM. Am I pretty much hosed for finding a team for those at this point due to new content+better gear, or are they still done?

It seems harder to DF/PF the EX primals now because everyone who's good is probably doing Levi and Moogle EX, while everyone that's not is still stuck on Titan since they keep trying to DF it. Goons are wonderful people though, and if they can get me past Titan EX, they can get you through too. (It wasn't THAT bad, on the run where we killed him I only died once, IIRC.) Haven't tried Ifrit yet.

Ultima HM I don't think gates anything though, does it? You can probably skip it unless you want to do it for funsies. It's a good fight, the one or two times I did it I liked it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jedi425 posted:

It seems harder to DF/PF the EX primals now because everyone who's good is probably doing Levi and Moogle EX, while everyone that's not is still stuck on Titan since they keep trying to DF it. Goons are wonderful people though, and if they can get me past Titan EX, they can get you through too. (It wasn't THAT bad, on the run where we killed him I only died once, IIRC.) Haven't tried Ifrit yet.

Ultima HM I don't think gates anything though, does it? You can probably skip it unless you want to do it for funsies. It's a good fight, the one or two times I did it I liked it.

I mostly want to do it because it's just sitting there in my quest log, taunting me, along with the EX Primal chain. Mocking me for my failure.

(Never so much as looked at EX primals yet, but I've tried Ultima HM several times in DF, and each time failed to the second or last set of doom balls. It's hard to heal that poo poo and keep the tank alive :negative:)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There's a bit of strategy with Ultima HM. Tanks gotta do their swaps and stay alive. DPS must dodge otherwise tanks are going to die as healers try to keep them up as well. Aetheric Boom may seem daunting, but it isn't too bad.

Everyone minus the MT stacks together during AB and runs to hit all the balls together. This is pretty simple up until the last one. Shortly after the second airship crash Ultima will cast the final AB. At that about halfway through the cast, one of the tanks needs to hit the LB. It's ideal if you have a level 3 but doable without. Party stacks and hits balls EXCEPT OT runs and takes one by himself. Everyone will survive without too much trouble and then you just burn it down.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

Fister Roboto posted:

Gunner class is going to be a new healer. They heal by shooting bullets full of medicine. It is incredibly painful!

I think a renamed Chemist could work. It gives more incentive to make potions and ethers, is a simple gun wielding class, and can be fit into a healer role.

Granted it would cost gil to play your role, so...

Perhaps upgrades into Mediator? Mediator with CC abilities and potion chucking powers would be alright.

A straight long range DPS would be pretty underwhelming, I think.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Rei_ posted:

I've been working on getting Provoke and Awareness on my Warrior by grinding out Gladiator and man, I just feel like I have a such harder time keeping aggro without Overpower. Like there's Flash Spam, but it's much less...consistent as soon as a battle gets going. Is there a trick to this?

I feel like I'm switching targets a lot more is what I'm saying. While I could lean back on the couch and play Warrior with a controller, I feel like I have to switch over to a mouse to play Gladiator.

I don't have much experience with Warrior, but when I'm tanking on my Paladin I do tend to switch targets all the time to spread out my threat combo after I've established the initial pull, so I'm not sure you're really missing anything. You're marking targets, correct? Normally even the most brain dead dps can follow the big numbers. If you've got a Summoner who isn't lazy sometimes you'll have to work a bit more, too.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Shortly after the second airship crash Ultima will cast the final AB. At that about halfway through the cast, one of the tanks needs to hit the LB. It's ideal if you have a level 3 but doable without.

We kept hearing this, but the end of AB pushes everyone back, and it cancels the LB. Even when we had a tank pop it at the very start of the cast, it wasn't fast enough to avoid getting canceled. We just had some brave souls Leeroy into the final orbs for us sans LB.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

No information that I know of yet, but they did show off a version of Leviathan's theme with a female singer instead of a male one.

I'm kinda bummed out that they didn't have it use the growly male vocals at first, but the final phase of the boss fight switches to the more operatic female. Would have been more dramatic!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's a bit of strategy with Ultima HM. Tanks gotta do their swaps and stay alive. DPS must dodge otherwise tanks are going to die as healers try to keep them up as well. Aetheric Boom may seem daunting, but it isn't too bad.

Everyone minus the MT stacks together during AB and runs to hit all the balls together. This is pretty simple up until the last one. Shortly after the second airship crash Ultima will cast the final AB. At that about halfway through the cast, one of the tanks needs to hit the LB. It's ideal if you have a level 3 but doable without. Party stacks and hits balls EXCEPT OT runs and takes one by himself. Everyone will survive without too much trouble and then you just burn it down.

Second airship crash? :stare: I know Ultima HM is supposed to be an exaggerated retelling, but this sounds hilarious.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

pksage posted:

We kept hearing this, but the end of AB pushes everyone back, and it cancels the LB. Even when we had a tank pop it at the very start of the cast, it wasn't fast enough to avoid getting canceled. We just had some brave souls Leeroy into the final orbs for us sans LB.

Huh? The tank limit break is instant, there would be nothing to interrupt.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah a tank LB has no timer. It's instant. That's why you have to wait until about halfway through the cast.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Darksaber posted:

I don't have much experience with Warrior, but when I'm tanking on my Paladin I do tend to switch targets all the time to spread out my threat combo after I've established the initial pull, so I'm not sure you're really missing anything. You're marking targets, correct? Normally even the most brain dead dps can follow the big numbers. If you've got a Summoner who isn't lazy sometimes you'll have to work a bit more, too.

Yeah, it seems like GLD/PLD has to (duh, almost like it's the role of this particular class) focus down individual targets to effectively get their attention whereas Marauder drops the loving mic but the mic is also an exploding axe. This means the Warrior has to be a bit more proactive (offensive) about positioning but can basically stack enemies in front of them, whereas a GLD/PLD has to be looking in more directions at once but is at the mercy of a party following orders as a reactive (defensive) tank. This also means however that Gladiators/Paladins get more single-shot ranged aggro abilities (shield toss/provoke) and abilities that focus on keeping aggro without breaking mez (Flash), but requires more coordination with a team. Marauders can get a lot of attention really fast but the party has to react to THEM due to abilities like overpower and steel cyclone breaking mez and also being AOE.

I can see what Yoshida means about Warriors being more technical since their three main aggro control moves (if I'm counting right) require a lot more knowledge about what's going on around you at all times whereas a good Paladin can just get up in somethings loving face and get their head beaten in without much worry. A warrior with poor situational awareness can gently caress up an OT if their positioning is bad or break mez prematurely, leading to an overburden on healing in long fights.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 27, 2014

Percity
Oct 24, 2006

Azubah posted:

There was talk earlier to the Echo and how it might tie in with the primals.

Has there been hints that the PCs are like then? We don't really leave bodies behind and are powered by crystals.

PCs would leave behind bodies if we were ever killed. Like in most FF games, if your HP reaches zero you're just KOed (and in FF14 you cast return automagically). You only die in cutscenes. Also in the story line we like one shot every extreme primal and coil boss so we're pretty impressive if you ask me.

Percity fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 27, 2014

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Gally posted:

Huh? The tank limit break is instant, there would be nothing to interrupt.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah a tank LB has no timer. It's instant. That's why you have to wait until about halfway through the cast.

Welp, looks like we get to talk to our tanks!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rei_ posted:

Gladiators/Paladins get more single-shot ranged aggro abilities (shield toss/provoke)
MRD/WAR get an axe throw which works the same way as shield toss, and cross-classing Provoke is 100% required. The non-cross-classed Flash does more threat though, so you got that going for you!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

pksage posted:

Pfft, communicating is for nerds, just blame the healer and Echo through.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zereth posted:

MRD/WAR get an axe throw which works the same way as shield toss, and cross-classing Provoke is 100% required. The non-cross-classed Flash does more threat though, so you got that going for you!

Not only that, but you get to blind enemies as well. Flash is still handy as a war when you're picking up packs as you run by.

pksage posted:

Yeah, there's something screwy going on if they're saying that a tank LB is getting interrupted.

So I'm getting into my free company's #1 raid static starting tomorrow. They've cleared T7 but not 8 yet because they needed a new tank. This is the same group that sells ex primals and T5, so it should be pretty awesome.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I currently have 2 characters on behemoth but I don't like what race and what they look like. What's the trick to making characters on a full server?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Moochewmoo posted:

So I currently have 2 characters on behemoth but I don't like what race and what they look like. What's the trick to making characters on a full server?

Try and make a character during off peak hours.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

A good time would be tomorrow morning.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Titan Ex is a thing. I have gotten to heart phase with people many times, but so much poo poo is happening during heart phase that I'm not actually sure it can be done. People have supposedly cleared it, but...

v: Correction, I am talking about the final bit with the gaolers and the double plumes and the tiny platform and the bombs and the holy gently caress

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 27, 2014

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Volt Catfish posted:

Titan Ex is a thing. I have gotten to heart phase with people many times, but so much poo poo is happening during heart phase that I'm not actually sure it can be done. People have supposedly cleared it, but...

If you think heart phase is chaos, you should see the panic when people get past it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Volt Catfish posted:

v: Correction, I am talking about the final bit with the gaolers and the double plumes and the tiny platform and the bombs and the holy gently caress

Trust me, it can be done. After a week of trying, I finally beat Titan EX as of three hours ago. Of course, it involved getting really lucky on Party Finder and tons of attempts that brought up Echo, but there is a method to that madness.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
There's a reason most people only do Titan EX once and never touch it again. Of course, now the reason is that Leviathan drops stronger weapons than tokens or they had already got their Allagan weapon.

Speaking of Allagan weapons, got my axe on my second t5 kill :hellyeah:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 27, 2014

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

The trick is to have a group to do that stuff with. Everyone who isn't a scrub is already in a static.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
However, there are some decent players not in statics due to wonky schedules or limited playtime. Which is why people sometimes get lucky in Party Finder*.

*The Echo helps.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
When and where do you unlock the sidequest to get your own Chocobo? I know you have to have a class at level 20 (which I do), but do you have to reach a specific point in the main story as well?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Behonkiss posted:

When and where do you unlock the sidequest to get your own Chocobo? I know you have to have a class at level 20 (which I do), but do you have to reach a specific point in the main story as well?

Yes, there's a main quest that get's you a chocobo (after 2000 seals)

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
Or, y'know, join football school. It's not exactly difficult to join the LS, and people normally broadcast for ex primals daily.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

PunkBoy posted:

Second airship crash? :stare: I know Ultima HM is supposed to be an exaggerated retelling, but this sounds hilarious.

It's even more hilarious than that. First there's a pair of airships simultaneously, leaving the north and south ends of the circle mostly clear. Later, before that horrible final Aetheric Boom, there's four airships.

It's mostly that last drop that really screws me up on the final aetheric boom, I'm so damned busy healing all that up that a tank dies or similar while people are Leeroy'ing into balls. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For my Relic weapon, the Marketboard wants like 90k Gil for the Champions Lance with 2 Savage Aim III Materia. I read you can get it in the Wanderer's Palace Dungeon. Is that "guaranteed drop" or RNG luck?

What's the best way to go about getting it if not that?

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Feenix posted:

For my Relic weapon, the Marketboard wants like 90k Gil for the Champions Lance with 2 Savage Aim III Materia. I read you can get it in the Wanderer's Palace Dungeon. Is that "guaranteed drop" or RNG luck?

What's the best way to go about getting it if not that?

Fortunately, unless you're shelling out money for an FC house or mass-leveling a crafting class, there aren't very many cash sinks. Just spend the 90k and watch your gil count float even higher, because aside from repairs and teleports, you won't be losing much cash.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I think the price of the relic precursor is more from the materia than the base weapon.

You can get the bloody lance head to make the champion's lance from WP, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Celador posted:

However, there are some decent players not in statics due to wonky schedules or limited playtime. Which is why people sometimes get lucky in Party Finder*.

*The Echo helps.

There's also some statics with fewer than 8 members. Mine only has 5, so while we have to deal with making the other 3 re-learn mechanics we got down a week ago, we'll also randomly carry people through.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's also other stuff going on with precursor prices as well. The BLM precursor used to be around 10k, earlier when I checked they've gone up to 50k. Looking at the cheapest weapons being sold they were mostly made by the same person, and the market history showed how the night before a dozen bots (with nonsense 3+3 letter names like Gcf Hzy or Jyq Gtc) bought all the cheap weapons. So I'm guessing someone equipped a bot team and after that only 50k+ weapons remained. Obviously no one is going to undercut that back to 10k (for now anyway, you never know with pubbies) while the weapons actually sell whether they're 50k or 80 unmelded.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Just finished the kobold questline today. That final showdown was amazing. I'm going to miss working for those little guys. :3:

What I really want now are Goblin and Qiqirn quests.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Line Feed posted:

Just finished the kobold questline today. That final showdown was amazing. I'm going to miss working for those little guys. :3:

What I really want now are Goblin and Qiqirn quests.

Brayflox HM makes me shudder at what sort of monstrosity a Goblin Primal might be. Maybe that's how they'd introduce Alexander--as Gobxander, the Holy Goblin Armor!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Brayflox HM makes me shudder at what sort of monstrosity a Goblin Primal might be. Maybe that's how they'd introduce Alexander--as Gobxander, the Holy Goblin Armor!

Goblins don't have a primal because they worship the almighty dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

SpazmasterX posted:

Goblins don't have a primal because they worship the almighty dollar.

The goblin Primal is Atlas.

• Locked thread