Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

radlum posted:

To be fair, Bran's plot after the destruction of Winterfell has moved too slowly, that's why the show is catching up with the last book now.

I think you're missing the point entirely.

See the only reason the show is catching up to the last book is because they have to keep the Actors on, and they can't cut away from him for like 90% of the season like they do in the books.

See the point is that in the book, you can have Bran's plot only come back three times in one book, because the character doesn't have to be heavily featured in every 'episode' (or equivalent 1/10th of the book)

You see this is what was meant by him not having a TV adaptation in mind when he wrote the book. Because the book isn't just the test-run before you make the TV show, it's actually a work on it's own, and operates differently than TV, leading to different pacing possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

Prop Joe as Yezzhan Mo Zkagazz or whatever the name of the really fat guy that buys Tyrion and Penny

Isiah Whitlock Jr as Hizdahr zo Loraq. This needs to happen.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

unlimited shrimp posted:

Well, we also have his crown, his much more human appearance, and a shot deliberately framed to make him the 13th Other (the Night's King was the 13th Lord Commander and reigned for 13 years).

Plus the HBO slip-up. Seems like more than a coincidence to me.

e.

versus

HBO slip up?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

PootieTang posted:

I think you're missing the point entirely.

See the only reason the show is catching up to the last book is because they have to keep the Actors on, and they can't cut away from him for like 90% of the season like they do in the books.

See the point is that in the book, you can have Bran's plot only come back three times in one book, because the character doesn't have to be heavily featured in every 'episode' (or equivalent 1/10th of the book)

You see this is what was meant by him not having a TV adaptation in mind when he wrote the book. Because the book isn't just the test-run before you make the TV show, it's actually a work on it's own, and operates differently than TV, leading to different pacing possibilities.
We're gonna have lots of tree-training scenes next season.

FogHelmut posted:

HBO slip up?
Calling that guy the "Night's King" on an official webpage, and then changing it when people noticed.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Not so serious speculation: Benjen comes out of nowhere and kills all of the mutineers himself, winks at the camera and vanishes. Bran and Jon never see him.

Benjen drops out of a tree and engages the mutineers in fierce combat, cutting them down one after another. After dispatching Karl, he looks straight at the camera and says "That was a real challenge, especially since I lost my gloves. It's hard to fight when your HANDS are so COLD." He then winks, gives the double thumbs up and a knowing nod, and wire-fus back into a tree and out of frame.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm guessing Coldhands' real identity is only interesting with some background information in the books that wasn't worth covering in the show. You'd end up having to repeat that information several times for show-only people to remember it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My new book theory: Benjen is really Strong Belwas, who is (conveniently enough) also both Ser Pounce and a merman.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Lycus posted:

We're gonna have lots of tree-training scenes next season.

Honestly, it's very unlikely, but I'm hoping that they have Bran basically go time travelling through the tree, and we get flashbacks to important poo poo that the show-watchers have missed out on. Like Roberts Rebellion and stuff.

At this point I'm pretty sure that the show and books are different enough to be alternate universes, rather than an adaptation. So I say go whole hog, use the visual medium to it's fullest and go crazy with badass flashbacks, gently caress it throw some flashforwards in. Make Bran the tree the best thing in the show by showing mad poo poo, flashbacks for everyone.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say they should do like Sopranos did with the super-long dream episode (with a dream that lasted like forty minutes or some poo poo) and have basically an entire episode of Bran tree flashbacks to crazy poo poo. Stannis, Renly, and Robert as children, Tower of Joy, Dunk and Egg cameos, flashbacks to the initial Targ conquest of Westeros etc.

I mean let's go all in with the changes, make it wholly unique. It would also help gently caress with people trying to spoiler stuff, if they divert enough.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It'd be nice to see Sean Bean again.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm hoping that Jon stumbles upon the Mereen's and that's when they finally hint at Jon's heritage on the show.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Benjen drops out of a tree and engages the mutineers in fierce combat, cutting them down one after another. After dispatching Karl, he looks straight at the camera and says "That was a real challenge, especially since I lost my gloves. It's hard to fight when your HANDS are so COLD." He then winks, gives the double thumbs up and a knowing nod, and wire-fus back into a tree and out of frame.

*Cuts of Meera's ear*

"I am ~Of The Night~s watch."

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Sean Bean not wanting to fly all the way for one cameo is probably why Tower of Joy isn't gonna happen. It's one of the best scenes in the book, and if R+L=J is true, then it's pretty crucial as well.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Anarkii posted:

Sean Bean not wanting to fly all the way for one cameo is probably why Tower of Joy isn't gonna happen. It's one of the best scenes in the book, and if R+L=J is true, then it's pretty crucial as well.

But that's whats great about the whole episode of Bran flashbacks/forwards, you can do multiple Ned scenes!

Flashbacks to his wedding with Cat, his duel with Littlefinger (or was that the other guy?), him and Robert fighting battles in the rebellion, etc

There are no limits, you can literally step outside of time and space.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm hoping that Jon stumbles upon the Mereen's and that's when they finally hint at Jon's heritage on the show.

I read that as mermen at first.

Wait.

In the show, didn't Ned say Jon's mother was a fisherman's daughter?

Fisherman. Fishman. Merman.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What character is in a position to give an exposition speech that covers all the backstory the audience will need to understand what's going on beneath the surface? Mel has mentioned the Prince that was Promised but gave absolutely no information about what that meant. They've made Jon's parentage a mystery but as far as I remember haven't even brought the subject up since half way through season 1.

A conversation between Varys and Pycelle seems like it could work.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What character is in a position to give an exposition speech that covers all the backstory the audience will need to understand what's going on beneath the surface? Mel has mentioned the Prince that was Promised but gave absolutely no information about what that meant. They've made Jon's parentage a mystery but as far as I remember haven't even brought the subject up since half way through season 1.

A conversation between Varys and Pycelle seems like it could work.

Meera and Jojen, just like in the books, but I don't think they will actually go along with it.

The knight of the laughing tree is one of my favorite parts of the books, but it just won't fit the show. Show-watchers won't have the faintest clue what Meera is going on about when she talks about wolves and dragons and stags, and there isn't anyone in that scene who can believably start calling people cunts or talk about how irredeemably evil they are.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 29, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Horatius Bonar posted:

I read that as mermen at first.

Wait.

In the show, didn't Ned say Jon's mother was a fisherman's daughter?

Fisherman. Fishman. Merman.

That's OK because I'm retarded and meant Reed.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

I totally disagree. Prophecies are poo poo, and is the laziest fantasy trope. gently caress prophecies.

I really like the prophecies in GOT cuz they are just so loving consuming. Cersei's gone batshit because of one. Dany's become obsessed with a couple. Rhaegar destroyed his entire life and family because of one. That Head Mr Maester dude at the Citadel loving drops what he's doing and runs out the door and around the world the second he has a new thought about one.

Plus, you know, Patchface is even cooler than Coldhands and Strong Belwas combined.

VVVVVVV Nah there were multiple icemen in the Fist of First panorama.

kater fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 29, 2014

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Someone refresh my memory but the second image is the only Other we've seen thus far right? As in we've never seen more than one Other on screen at any time and they've looked exactly the same?

If that last scene is taken to mean that Others aren't physical creatures but instead inhabit the bodies of living beings then each Other looking different makes absolute sense. So Prune Face was possessed as an old man while Darth Maul was either possessed as a child and grew into adult hood before it stopped aging or was possessed as a younger man.

It's also pretty badass because all the poo poo going on thus far is just ONE of these guys acting as a vanguard/scout.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

That's just what happens when they get nothing but horribly inbred babies to work with.

I feel like we really need to see one of them raise the dead now. I'm hoping it happens after the Craster's fight.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Someone refresh my memory but the second image is the only Other we've seen thus far right? As in we've never seen more than one Other on screen at any time and they've looked exactly the same?

If that last scene is taken to mean that Others aren't physical creatures but instead inhabit the bodies of living beings then each Other looking different makes absolute sense. So Prune Face was possessed as an old man while Darth Maul was either possessed as a child and grew into adult hood before it stopped aging or was possessed as a younger man.

It's also pretty badass because all the poo poo going on thus far is just ONE of these guys acting as a vanguard/scout.

Nah, because I'm pretty sure the Other that Sam stabbed is the one from the end of season 2. The one from last night's episode who isn't the Night King looked a lot like that one, though.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
There were a couple Others on screen at once during the march on the Fist of the First Men in the season 2 finale. If I recall correctly they all appeared different. theory ruined

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

GonSmithe posted:

Nah, because I'm pretty sure the Other that Sam stabbed is the one from the end of season 2. The one from last night's episode who isn't the Night King looked a lot like that one, though.

:doh: I'd completely forgotten about that!

Edit: According to the wikis there have been 4 representations of Others in the show.

1: In the pilot with the darker complexion and big mouth.
2: The one we've seen in every other scene until Sam shanked it.
3: The one that took Craster's last son.
4: The Night's King.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 29, 2014

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I dunno but if I was Bran I'd warg whoever was in charge and be all "Why yes you are now free to go please ARGH HELP disregard that please take your comoatose child with you and have all our food and money" and anyone who disagrees gets warged too like "Wait are you insane YES THIS IS A GOOD IDEA I shall now chop my own legs off in support" and then warg whoever's the meanest to guard them on the way out the door. Or wait until night and one by one warg em and make em stab their own eyes out.

... i should never be given any kind of magical power ever.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
I want Bran to warg into Burn Gorman so we get a TV show version of the book 5 intro.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Maybe already posted before but first time I've seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHlzIgSvnYc

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm guessing we've never seen a real Other yet, in the books or the show. White Walkers are magic hybrids of some kind, not the real thing.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The spelling out of the poison plot was hilarious.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A lil' behind-the-scenes look at the ice alter and the "King of White Walkers"

That's a nice crown atop his head.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sylink posted:

The best part was when Littlefinger said his alliances are "growing strong"

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Sylink posted:

And yet somehow it was spelled out more subtly than GRRM did it in the books

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

burf posted:

And yet somehow it was spelled out more subtly than GRRM did it in the books

I still have friends and family come up to me after finishing ASOS and asking what happened. It's all there in the text, but I guess people just get too giddy after it and start skipping pages.

The show was five minutes of just loving hammering it into the audience's heads so that even the dullest of them can finally realize it was the old grandma lady all along, and feel smart for figuring it out two episodes later.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I like the current White Walker costumes more than the shirtless guy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mr.capps posted:

The best part was when Littlefinger said his alliances are "growing strong"

I totally missed that. :monocle:

Apparently the Baelish don't have house words yet.

Knuckle if you Cuckold doesn't sound quite right.

The Seed is Wrong.

Play with the Eyrie.

Trota Ripiena.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's probably something about ladders really.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW
House Baelish
"Play with her arse."

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Rawls could be a hell of a Randyll Tarly.
This is now canon in my head.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
"The climb is all there is" actually sound good as house words to me, unironically. Except it kinda outs your house as scheming shitheads.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
So it's official thanks to the show spoiling it Jon Snow is coming back as zombie king?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Oh yeah, I noticed in the preview for next week that Lysa says "What wife would do for you the things I've done for you?" :raise: I wonder if that's just foreshadowing or if they're doing the Jon Arryn reveal next week.

• Locked thread