Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Lazyfire posted:

Actually, there's a video I watched a little while back comparing DSP and his playstyle in Street Fighter to Justin Wong; a man Phil hates down to his very soul. Phil spams fireballs and constantly drops supers while jump kicking towards his opponent like someone trying to play Divekick with a Street Fighter skin. Wong was dropping combos and worked to get himself into corners and then throwing his opponent into them, or backing the other guy up. He also blocked and jumped over projectiles instead of tanking them like Phil.

Watching Phil in a fighting game is sort of an exercise in frustration because he talks about being a former fighting game champion and then does the poo poo you'd expect from your little brother playing SFII. Wong plays really defensively and smart, and he's far more interesting to watch because he actually knows what he's doing where Phil is just trying the same strategy over and over.

Late to the ball on this discussion, but I do think it's worth bringing up that DSP was (heavy emphasis on the past tense) one of the best Street Fighter players in the USA. He was indeed the American champion for Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo in 2007 (qualifying statement: That was the year they used a different port of the game, and SSF2T players are very grumpy over imperfect ports) and was one of the best Dee Jay players. Even though he's clearly washed up now, he could probably still beat most people in older Capcom games. My personal pet theory is that a lot of DSP's popularity came from when Street Fighter 4 was first released - he was the only known name in Street Fighter to regularly upload his matches, despite the fact that he was, and still is, hilariously incompetent at the game. Just like he does now, he chalked up a lot of his losses to input lag and other online shenanigans, though he tried to claim that was just part of his "persona" and he only said stuff like that for the camera. Considering how he continuously double downs on the poo poo he says, you have to wonder if he eventually forgot about the act and started believing his own bullshit.

If you ever want some DSP catharsis, check out this video where DSP gets positively curbstomped by a good Marvel vs Capcom 2 player. The even sweeter ending is that DSP later tried to claim that he knows Rattana and the guy who beat him down wasn't it, only for Rattana to later say "Yeah, that was me kicking the poo poo out of him. :smug:"

Last note: The irony of one of DSP's unintentional catchphrases being "how the gently caress was I supposed to know that" is endless, considering his character Dee Jay has the single most obtuse move in all of Street Fighter history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

inthesto posted:

If you ever want some DSP catharsis, check out this video where DSP gets positively curbstomped by a good Marvel vs Capcom 2 player. The even sweeter ending is that DSP later tried to claim that he knows Rattana and the guy who beat him down wasn't it, only for Rattana to later say "Yeah, that was me kicking the poo poo out of him. :smug:"

I actually didn't mind DSP at the start of that video, and I think I know why - he's trash talking but since you hear the other guy trash talk back, it comes across more as an equal footing thing. In his other videos when you can't hear the other person, it sounds like he's a total dick.

Then at the end, he starts blaming the game and saying how the whole match is bullshit and he looks like a poor sport all over again. But he almost had it!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

slowbeef posted:

I actually didn't mind DSP at the start of that video, and I think I know why - he's trash talking but since you hear the other guy trash talk back, it comes across more as an equal footing thing. In his other videos when you can't hear the other person, it sounds like he's a total dick.

Then at the end, he starts blaming the game and saying how the whole match is bullshit and he looks like a poor sport all over again. But he almost had it!

Plus it sounded like the other guy actually kicked off the trash-talk, so it comes off like Phil's just firing back. Of course then the framerate/lag excuses come in, as if he's not aware that we can SEE his screen.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

Does anyone know any good FTL players? I tried watching northernlion but although he is tolerable as a person his play is kind of not good.

VanguardOfValor is rough around the edges (reads all the text and likes to put on voices) but he is one of the most entertaining and informative players of FTL I have seen on YouTube. He's done videos on all of the Type A's and B's on Normal mode and is doing the Type C's on hard right now. He's definitely worth a look if you're into FTL.

He also streams on Twitch if you like that.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Funny thing recently came to my attention via Twitter. Apparently some LPers are asking for a percentage of the sales when they LP a game.

This is the most hilariously awful thing that I don't think LPers are thinking through. First, that would mean that you would be sponsored by a company, and if you want a share of the profits, you'll have to do a good job selling the game. Yelling "RAPE" and "OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS BUGGED" isn't gonna work anymore.

Second, they don't understand how the relationship works. LPers don't make the games they LP (with very rare exceptions), companies do. If a company flat out refuses (and they all will) to share their profits with them, what is the LPer gonna do? Refuse to play their game? That runs the risk of cutting into their paycheck!

While some will give free copies of games to LPers for them to LP it, hell if they're 100% depending on you and you alone to make their game look good.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

RSCNyx posted:

Funny thing recently came to my attention via Twitter. Apparently some LPers are asking for a percentage of the sales when they LP a game.

This is the most hilariously awful thing that I don't think LPers are thinking through. First, that would mean that you would be sponsored by a company, and if you want a share of the profits, you'll have to do a good job selling the game. Yelling "RAPE" and "OH MY GOD THIS GAME IS BUGGED" isn't gonna work anymore.

Second, they don't understand how the relationship works. LPers don't make the games they LP (with very rare exceptions), companies do. If a company flat out refuses (and they all will) to share their profits with them, what is the LPer gonna do? Refuse to play their game? That runs the risk of cutting into their paycheck!

While some will give free copies of games to LPers for them to LP it, hell if they're 100% depending on you and you alone to make their game look good.

Is...is this true? That's the most moronic thing I've heard in a while. Like...what? :psyduck:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man, it's like people heard about Machinima demanding a cut of the Minecraft profits from Mojang and thought they were entitled to that poo poo too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

RSCNyx posted:

Seriously? There's no way.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.

RSCNyx posted:

I saw this too. Seemed back-asswards to me. Like you said, demanding a sales percentage completely depends on the LPer's ability to produce something that actually makes people want to play a game, and I don't think they consider just how difficult that may be.

Did you ever see the videos where Game Grumps were obviously paid to play through a beta of a game? I can't remember the name right now but it was awkward all around. They did a good job of making fun of the talking points they were clearly given to promote (by pretending they were messages being flown in by exotic birds) but it was just weird. As soon as you involve that sort of commercial aspect, in my opinion it changes the entire tone of an LP. And at what point do viewers just want to watch a differently-structured commercial disguised as entertainment?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

gameplusmeagan posted:

And at what point do viewers just want to watch a differently-structured commercial disguised as entertainment?

Worked for most 80s cartoons :v:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Why do people take playing videogames on the internet so seriously :(

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Brony Hunter posted:

Worked for most 80s cartoons :v:

Oh my god you're totally right. DAMMIT.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

gameplusmeagan posted:

And at what point do viewers just want to watch a differently-structured commercial disguised as entertainment?

The false premise here is the people in question giving the first poo poo about what the audience wants or delivering quality content. Dudes just want to get paid for playing video games.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

inthesto posted:

The false premise here is the people in question giving the first poo poo about what the audience wants or delivering quality content. Dudes just want to get paid for playing video games.

I totally agree, I was just pointing out why their idea is a pipe dream. If you don't produce quality content for your audience you lose your audience, but like you said, they're not considering any of that. It's why so many LPers who want to turn their hobby into a business fail because, you know, the BUSINESS aspect of it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

inthesto posted:

When the audience's idea of quality doesn't extend much beyond starring a youtube personality exaggerating their personality traits, I don't think they really need to put too much thought into quality and audience.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So is it any "big" or "important" LPers demanding cuts of the profit, or is it just some dudes nobody cares or knows about? I kinda want some names to laugh at here.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

REPORT: Pewdiepie demands Slenderman fortune, news at 11!

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

a cartoon duck posted:

So is it any "big" or "important" LPers demanding cuts of the profit, or is it just some dudes nobody cares or knows about? I kinda want some names to laugh at here.
Agreed, there's a different slant to story if it's an entitled opportunistic baby or just some mad fucker.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

a cartoon duck posted:

I don't know any names, personally. I just know some people are talking about it.

To me, there's no difference: They're just absolutely mad for even considering such a thing.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

gameplusmeagan posted:

Did you ever see the videos where Game Grumps were obviously paid to play through a beta of a game? I can't remember the name right now but it was awkward all around. They did a good job of making fun of the talking points they were clearly given to promote (by pretending they were messages being flown in by exotic birds) but it was just weird. As soon as you involve that sort of commercial aspect, in my opinion it changes the entire tone of an LP. And at what point do viewers just want to watch a differently-structured commercial disguised as entertainment?

That was Dead Space 3. It got linked earlier in the thread.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm surprised it wasn't posted here, but yesterday TotalBiscuit released a video explaining his doctor found a Pr-Cancerous mass. I'm not a big fan of Total Biscuit, but even I'm finding the reaction to this to be a bit mean. It's a mix of normal people wishing him the best and people determined to mock him over it, which I have to assume is partially because it's the internet and all.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lazyfire posted:

I'm surprised it wasn't posted here, but yesterday TotalBiscuit released a video explaining his doctor found a Pr-Cancerous mass. I'm not a big fan of Total Biscuit, but even I'm finding the reaction to this to be a bit mean. It's a mix of normal people wishing him the best and people determined to mock him over it, which I have to assume is partially because it's the internet and all.

Trolls being trolls I'd imagine, as unfortunate as that is. I thought it was a worthwhile video though, and I'm hoping the situation remains as positive as it is now for him.

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

The internet is the best middle school simulator.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nksor posted:

The internet is the best middle school simulator.

Pretty sure if you took the piss out of someone in middle school because their friend had cancer you'd get smacked in the mouth.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lazyfire posted:

It's partially because it's the internet, but also partially because of this happening a while back. People certainly love bringing that one back given the circumstances right now.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TheMcD posted:

It's partially because it's the internet, but also partially because of this happening a while back. People certainly love bringing that one back given the circumstances right now.

Trying to preach forgiveness on the internet is like trying to preach scotch at Olive Garden. :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean, I don't like to make fun of sick people, but it's butt cancer. Objectively one of the funniest cancers, alongside testicular cancer (just ask Vicas!)

Heh, butt cancer.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
rear end Cancer is hilarious. And now totalbiscuit can say he shares something in common with Farah Fawcett! Win win all around, I say.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

rear end Cancer is hilarious. And now totalbiscuit can say he shares something in common with Farah Fawcett! Win win all around, I say.
He already did. Both once dated Canadian filmmaker James Orr, director of Sister Act 2.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
DSP Experiment - Days Unknown

Living within walking distance of Phil, I cannot prove, nor disprove, that he was the original carrier of the virus that has taken me and my family out of commission for nearly three weeks, during which time I felt watching more DSP videos would be counterproductive to my recovery. Now that I am mostly feeling better, I have continued to watch his Dragon Age playthrough.

Ill-equipped and ill-informed, Phil continues to push forward through the game, powered almost exclusively by obnoxious behaviors at this point. The words "failing upwards" swim repeatedly in my head as he struggles needlessly over and over again, yet still manages to make progress. His focus on equipping and leveling remains only on his beloved Dykslong, and equipment that doesn't suit the poor mage (but would improve his other party members), is ignored. When his inventory becomes full, he is quick to trash those "unimportant" items to make more room.

Two things recently came to Phil's attention; Morrigan's ability to use Cone of Cold, and the ability to set up Tactics for your AI partners to make them more effective. In more capable hands, these two revelations would improve a player's progress, but it only hindered Phil's; He programmed in tactics to ensure the AI players (Dykslong is now an AI-controlled support mage, and Phil is now controlling Morrigan), would heal themselves under proper conditions, but failed to properly grasp that Cone of Cold has a friendly-fire effect that freezes everyone in its path, making characters unable to take actions while frozen.

Combat has now turned into sessions of Phil casting Cone of Cold in an area, waiting for his allies to heal themselves, allies being frozen and unable to heal themselves, Phil perplexed as to why they are not healing themselves, then rage-reloading when the first character dies. His previous frustrations with obtaining, and then wasting, injury kits has made him prefer reloading over healing wounded characters.

I've lost count of how many times Phil has belched. How many times he has cleared his throat. How many times he has laughed at his own attempts at jokes.

I should have given up on this playthrough long before this point, maybe even given up on this experiment completely, but I'm attempting to see this out. I want to see how a DSP playthrough changes over time, from start to finish. I can't say I will accomplish this, but I want to try. This is my life now.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Don't say we didn't warn you. You are now doomed to continue this experiment until its--or your--end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think what would really help Phil's LPs would be a co-commentator. Not some friend on a Skype call, but an actual person sitting on the couch next to him who knows the game properly and points out all his mistakes. Unlike an internet argument, Phil can't just mute the guy and ignore him to avoid looking bad, while the guy can point out his stupidity right to his face until he finally learns in a Pavlovian manner to accept advice.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

chitoryu12 posted:

I think what would really help Phil's LPs would be a co-commentator. Not some friend on a Skype call, but an actual person sitting on the couch next to him who knows the game properly and points out all his mistakes. Unlike an internet argument, Phil can't just mute the guy and ignore him to avoid looking bad, while the guy can point out his stupidity right to his face until he finally learns in a Pavlovian manner to accept advice.

I'm not sure there's anyone in the world who can take that level of abuse in person. I'm surprised there are so many who can take it just participating in the chat. But given how often he tries to do what the chat is telling him, screws it up, and blames the chat for being wrong, this would result in a lot of shouting at someone who's honestly trying to help until they give up and storm out, never to talk to him again.

Some more cynical people would point out that this has likely already happened, and that's WHY Phil does these videos solo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Phil does sometimes do playthroughs with co-commentators. John Rambo, his girlfriend, and possibly another person? I attempted to watch one playthrough with John (Super Mario World), but didn't get very far, for reasons I previously listed. I might try to find another co-op playthrough that fits my criteria to see what it's like.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

Phil does sometimes do playthroughs with co-commentators. John Rambo, his girlfriend, and possibly another person? I attempted to watch one playthrough with John (Super Mario World), but didn't get very far, for reasons I previously listed. I might try to find another co-op playthrough that fits my criteria to see what it's like.

Oh my god, please do one with his girlfriend. I must hear about the ensuing trainwreck :allears:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chitoryu12 posted:

You're still only solving half the problem. You can give Phil the best advisers on the planet, but that means nothing if Phil is too incompetent to actually follow through with said advice. One famous example is in his Demon's Souls LP where the chat told him to fight the Fat Officials with melee so you don't have to worry about the fireball attacks. He promptly died cause he sucks at Souls games, and then immediately started calling the chat idiots for giving him "bad advice".

Also, Phil would never admit that something is his fault, co-commentator or not. Every time he gets stuck at something, he truly believes that it's because of lovely game design and starts trash-talking the devs.

Edit: \/\/\/ - I can't find it on Youtube, so looks like that's a no.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 6, 2014

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Has he done the Metroid Prime trilogy? I'd like to see who's more DarkSydePhil-like, him or Slowbeef circa 2010. :v:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
One more tidbit of DSP knowledge, since it's relevant: The fighting game community - a culture of gamers that's infamous for being immature pricks by even gamer standards - can't stand the guy either. Every account I've heard implies that DSP is every bit as unpleasant in person as he comes across in his videos.

Does this guy actually make a living off of his YouTube ad revenue?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Does this guy actually make a living off of his YouTube ad revenue?

Yes. He operates in volume.

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/DSPGaming

(Note: Ignore the revenue.)

100k+ views a day is nothing to sneeze at. But he has 25k videos, so basically, if 4 people watch his videos a day... that's a lot of ad revenue. Really. He's not "popular" but he just has that many videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

You're still only solving half the problem. You can give Phil the best advisers on the planet, but that means nothing if Phil is too incompetent to actually follow through with said advice. One famous example is in his Demon's Souls LP where the chat told him to fight the Fat Officials with melee so you don't have to worry about the fireball attacks. He promptly died cause he sucks at Souls games, and then immediately started calling the chat idiots for giving him "bad advice".

Also, Phil would never admit that something is his fault, co-commentator or not. Every time he gets stuck at something, he truly believes that it's because of lovely game design and starts trash-talking the devs.

See, that's why the co-commentator is actually sitting next to him. Because Phil would be completely unable to get away from the criticism through virtue of the internet, so the person on the couch could slap him upside the head and dog him until he gets cowed into either changing his tactics or rage quitting LP.

• Locked thread