Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Bilal posted:

And yeah, if you layer a soft piano with some strings and play minor chords it sounds a lot like an early X-Files episode.

I have the M1 sequencer for the 3DS and everything I put together sounds like an arcade racing game from the early to mid 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Odd timing that, here's a big Korg M01/M01D music 1 hour thing that their main guy threw out on Twitter a short while back:

http://gadgetron-sounds.com/?menu=detail&dno=11

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's a crime that they couldn't add WIST support to that.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I have the M1 sequencer for the 3DS and everything I put together sounds like an arcade racing game from the early to mid 90s.

I was looking at that earlier this week but then saw the price in the eShop. Is it worth the $35? The quality of that soundcloud is making me reconsider it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Found on KVR, thought you guys might enjoy it:

http://bestsamplelibraries.com/anal...nd-noise-music/

A "sound library" that consists of someone noodling with their monotron for an hour, uncut. In beautiful 44800kHz.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Bolange posted:

I was looking at that earlier this week but then saw the price in the eShop. Is it worth the $35? The quality of that soundcloud is making me reconsider it.

I will say no, not really. If you have an iPad there's probably better on it; I've got an OP1 that handles all my portable music-making needs when I don't want to use a laptop. It's great for what it is and has some neat features like exporting the MIDI information to the SD card, as well as some neat sharing options. I got it with the 30 dollar credit promotion I got from buying Fire Emblem and SMTIV and sometimes I wish I got Phoenix Wright instead.

To be fair I am not a sequencer person. I like step sequencers and trackers, but sequencers like Ableton / Orion / Logic do nothing for me so there's a pinch of bias.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

BKPR posted:

A "sound library" that consists of someone noodling with their monotron for an hour, uncut. In beautiful 44800kHz.
"I did not make any loops, special melodies sample banks or any improvements. You are welcome to do that by yourself in a way it fits your sampler or DAW. I think you can find at least 1000 really cool analog sounds , loops & special effects in this recording"

Exactly the caliber of material I'd expect from a business called "Best Sample Libraries."

EDIT: Oh my god, ALL of his synth "libraries" are just 1-2 hour WAV files of noodling. The only things he's got that are apparently individual sample files at all are female vocal ones. And they are not good.

This one almost had me pissing myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbKyHLzRTNM

EDIT 2: I can't stop listening to that thing.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 27, 2014

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I never really made much use of the KingKorg's tube. I wasn't keen on the overdrive distortion characteristics, and it otherwise just seemed like another volume knob. Since reading more about them, I started using it as a sort of compressor, bringing it near distortion.

I added a subwoofer to my setup, and I noticed a new characteristic of the tube. It seems to add a bass pop to every gate on/off, regardless of pitch. It almost sounds like it might be DC bias, but I don't have a scope to check.

Is this common or is this an indication of poor design / calibration?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Next time I need some meows and slide whistle sounds to layer over a z3ta preset, I'll know where to go.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

WorldWarWonderful posted:

sometimes I wish I got Phoenix Wright instead.

OP1 - an $800 synth about as good as a $30 video game

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 28, 2014

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

BKPR posted:

This has gotta be a joke.
For an additional $20 you can literally purchase the synth he used to create the... ahem... "sound library"

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

OP1 - an $800 synth about as good as a $30 video game

The M1's loop points don't click so...
At least you could bludgeon someone with the OP1, wouldn't do much in a fight with a 3DS.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT 2: I can't stop listening to that thing.

Holy lord this is amazing

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

Radiapathy posted:

The add I got before the video started off with a crying baby, and I was gonna post about how funny to me that was, but then after hearing the "product" I know the crying would be more musically useful.

Anyway, Korg M01D is kind of interesting, but the sequencer is balls and the tones are really bad.

Maybe it's not interesting at all.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Holy lord this is amazing

Soundtrack to the latest Crispin Glover project right there.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
IT LIVES! The Shruthi XT SMR-4 LIVES!

Well, I have to plunk an LCD and some nice red LEDs on the board yet, but I was able to get the unit to make some noises today. The SMR-4 is quite fat and warm sounding and since it's only 1 mono voice is has a different character than the SMR-4 filter boards on my Ambika. I have yet to order the parts to build my other control surface and 4 Pole Mission filter but when those arrive then the real showdown for Shruthi superiority will begin.

The XT case looks quite nice as well. I'm a little nervous about the plexiglass casing seeing its fair share of rough handling when I finally get everything put together but the metal top panel is quite nicely designed. The official Shruthi metal enclosure I purchased to house the SMR-4 filter is reallllllly stunning. Can't wait to get both units up and running!

My victory candy tastes oh so sweet

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

IT LIVES! The Shruthi XT SMR-4 LIVES!

Well, I have to plunk an LCD and some nice red LEDs on the board yet, but I was able to get the unit to make some noises today. The SMR-4 is quite fat and warm sounding and since it's only 1 mono voice is has a different character than the SMR-4 filter boards on my Ambika. I have yet to order the parts to build my other control surface and 4 Pole Mission filter but when those arrive then the real showdown for Shruthi superiority will begin.

The XT case looks quite nice as well. I'm a little nervous about the plexiglass casing seeing its fair share of rough handling when I finally get everything put together but the metal top panel is quite nicely designed. The official Shruthi metal enclosure I purchased to house the SMR-4 filter is reallllllly stunning. Can't wait to get both units up and running!

My victory candy tastes oh so sweet

Hope you post pics of the finished product. The case for it looked really nice.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I made some cables! I still need a hell of a lot more before I'm done, and then maybe I'll start thinking about midi cables. I definitely don't have enough of those. The main reason I didn't get it all finished yet is I had to stop and play with things so I ended up noodling around instead of soldering plugs. I had to rethink some of my plans too since I'm short and my arms are short and I just couldn't reach the knobs comfortably on things from the top shelf. This led me to get my DX200 down to play with a bit, and then I had the terrible discovery that the rubber "play" button didn't work any more.

I haven't played it for a while and I had the idea that it had been a bit unreliable last time I played with it too, so I decided to pull the DX200 to bits to see if there was anything I could do to repair it. Of course, you can't get to the rubber buttons without unscrewing absolutely everything. That's when I realised that the DX200 had a PLG board in it, and it clicked as to why you see DX200s and AN200s with these boards ripped out, not for repairs on other similar devices, but because you can chuck them into other compatible yahama hardware. In fact, I only just bought an MU100 off eBay for cheap with the intention of using it for it's effects and it has one PLG slot, so in the dx card went. The MU100 has a nice big screen and read the DX plug in card no problems, and since you can see what you're doing when you're editing it feels like there are more options available, not sure since I don't know much about fm synthesis beyond randomly twiddling and listening. Definitely seemed like more presets were accessible, but with no on board storage for user patches. Also, it has poky painful little buttons to move around the screen, select options and change values, no knobs. Despite the nice screen I wasn't sold on it being a better option.

Anyway, I could see some pretty bad wear on the little carbon pads and followed a "how to" which recommended rubbing them gently with an ink eraser to smooth this out, then cleaned all the fluff out of the pots and put the dx200 back together without the card. I'd heard that you can still use it as a three track drum machine sans dx card, and thought it might be fun to try that without being distracted by the synth track. But - play button still didn't work. I could play the drum notes on the little rubber keyboard though, so decided to try playing it with a midi controller instead, and that didn't work either. So then, messing around in the system config menu looking for midi options, I discovered pretty quickly that the whole time, I'd had it set to external clock not internal and THAT was why the play button wasn't working. :facepalm:

At least the pots are cleanish and pad wear is all smoothed out now. I put the PLG card back into the dx too since I'm not sure what I'm doing with FM, and it's more fun to be blindly twiddling knobs than blindly mashing buttons.

I am a hoarder so I am really looking forward to getting everything set up and having a usable space instead of just a hoard. So that I can just walk into the synth zone, pick a device, and start playing with minimal hassle - and by avoiding the hassle I can start learning my synths in earnest. I started out badly with synths I think, my first was a Fizmo, then I got a Kawai K5000 and neither of these were great choices to learn on. I still love them to bits though and hope to gain some competence with them eventually.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Played around a bit with the SMR-4 Shruthi last night. Here's my noodle: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/shruthi-xt-smr-4-mkii-first-noodle

I placed an order for a white LCD and red flat top LEDs today (among other things) so I'll put some pictures up once those get added to the build.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Had a moment with the family last night. I set the RM1x up on the stereo in the living room and just dicked around the preset patterns while my 4 year old daughter danced and the 14 month old danced and tried to eat the knobs. Then my wife took the helm, found the acid style presets and just zoned out. After a while she was all "I feel super guilty because all I want to do now is __relax__ and play with this thing, and I'm ignoring my kids."

So that was way more successful than I expected, because usually the topic of music gear is occasion for getting yelled at.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Got the MIDI all tracked out for a song I'd planned for my MKS-30. Ready to record the audio, so I powered the MKS up, got everything patched in and routed, and... discovered that voice 5 is dead.

:ughh:

I guess this will be an MKS-80 track then...

AnnoyBot posted:

Had a moment with the family last night. I set the RM1x up on the stereo in the living room and just dicked around the preset patterns while my 4 year old daughter danced and the 14 month old danced and tried to eat the knobs. Then my wife took the helm, found the acid style presets and just zoned out. After a while she was all "I feel super guilty because all I want to do now is __relax__ and play with this thing, and I'm ignoring my kids."
Yeah, good times. We have lil moments like that now and then. But usually it devolves into violence because my son and daughter are always fighting for control over the keys.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Radiapathy posted:

Got the MIDI all tracked out for a song I'd planned for my MKS-30. Ready to record the audio, so I powered the MKS up, got everything patched in and routed, and... discovered that voice 5 is dead.

Hey fellow voice-is-dead synth buddy. :smith::hf::smith:

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I just managed to pick up a M-Audio VENOM used for about 300 USD as opposed to 600 USD new. I'm going to have a real bass/lead-fest with this thing and my Microbrute.

Now to get an okay audio-interface to record them...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

You need a priest not a repairman. Your poo poo is haunted.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I got to play with the Aira series in Shibuya today, so a bit of a trip report:

TR-8 sounds decent, getting the volume balanced right is a bit weird when mixing kits since the volume adjustments all don't seem to have a very similar max. The scatter knob is utter poo poo, it's the "make your drum pattern sound bad all of a sudden" button.

The TB-3 is, uhhh, well it's basically a small green god. As an emulator it's decent sounding, I mean it can sound exactly like a 303. Some of the other settings, however, are actually really good while still being acid as gently caress. Here's the kicker though: scatter kinda owns. It can sound alright if you just push buttons randomly, but if you actually take some time to listen to what it's going to do beforehand it can take a weak-to-alright pattern and make it sound like so me monsterous hybrid of electro and acid house in a really really good way. From my time messing with it it seems to be a magic "make your random pattern sound less lovely" button. I don't know if there's a way to lock it on though, because I was having to hold it down to get the sound and that'd be a giant pain to do that and twiddle knobs for an entire track.

Basically the TR-8 is eh and the TB-3 is unreal, but not entirely for the intended reasons.

I played with the voice thing but I hate vocal effects so I have no idea what to make of it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Here's the kicker though: scatter kinda owns.

:monocle: You heard it here first.

Weren't you getting one of them? If so, I really want to hear scatter used in a way that sounds good.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Teenage Engineering just make some fun stuff:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/04/teenage-engineering-make-50-drum-machine-pictures-teaser/

Too cheap not to buy.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Your Computer posted:

:monocle: You heard it here first.

Weren't you getting one of them? If so, I really want to hear scatter used in a way that sounds good.

I've been thinking about it, if I can get a tax rebate for it I may grab one here and save 8% but synths and Japanese fashion are dangerous loves and I only have so much money to blow. The catch with scatter is I'm not sure it's any good as a temporary effect, like I couldn't imagine dropping scatter on for a few seconds mid -track, but I could definitely see just programming something, tossing scatter on, and leaving it on as part of the patch. It's basically an extra effect that can mess with your notes in interesting ways. As opposed to scatter on the star-8, which sounds like temporarily passing control of your synth to a deaf 5 year old.

Seriously though, if there is a way to lock in scatter selection then I think that the TB-3 could have some super interesting potential. It's sure as poo poo fun to play, I was jamming in the store with it to the point that people stopping and talking to me about it. I don't jam, I just makes posts about jamming and spend money, but there i was! Jamming, so, welp. Not sure there's a more ringing endorsement from me, personally.

The coveted "WAFFLEHOUND not only liked it but actually kind of used it" seal of approval.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I got to play with the Aira series in Shibuya today, so a bit of a trip report:

Go to a cat cafe and report back :3:

This looks neat, hopefully it gets some kind of case when it goes to production though.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Startyde posted:

Go to a cat cafe and report back :3:

If I go to a cafe with cats in it I'd die IS THAT WHAT TOU WANT TO HAPPEN YOU MONSTER?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Gonna need synth shop tips from you Waffle for my trip to Tokyo later this year. :shobon:

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

This is eerily close to the drum machine form factor of my dreams, but the lack of MIDI kind of knocks it down to toy status. Why don't more companies use that mini-jack the BeatStep has?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm selling my Nord G2 Modular Engine if anyone is interested. This is the 1U rack version of the G2 Modular.

david mammoth
Oct 15, 2012
^ I would theoretically be super-interested but unfortunately I'm in Europe (Ireland, specifically) so shipping would be more trouble than it's worth for both of us. I'm sure you'll be able to flip that for a decent amount though since i've heard nothing but good things about the G2s and they've developed kind of a cult following.

Talking of the Aira stuff, has anyone got any thoughts about that synth (System 1?) they're supposedly putting out? I can't decide if it looks interesting or like a total piece of poo poo.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

david mammoth posted:

I can't decide if it looks interesting or like a total piece of poo poo.
Those aren't mutually exclusive :v:

Anyway, is it even out yet?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Played around a bit with the SMR-4 Shruthi last night. Here's my noodle: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/shruthi-xt-smr-4-mkii-first-noodle

I placed an order for a white LCD and red flat top LEDs today (among other things) so I'll put some pictures up once those get added to the build.

So this is a really weird loving question, but do you happen to have the dimensions of the XT case?

Also, that's a really fantastic sounding SMR-4 filter demo, probably the best one I've heard since really looking into getting shruthi.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Looks like 11.5" x 4.5" x 1.5" which is pretty compact for a knobby monosynth.

I'll take this opportunity to post some naked photos with a bonus Altoids tin:

EDIT: I didn't realize the compliment. Thanks for the compliment :). The demo also has the distinction of being my first thing posted to Matrixsynth.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 30, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Update on my Waldorf Microwave situation:

So just now, I decided to fiddle with the internals and something interesting happened. I reseated the OS EPROMs, booted the Microwave into service mode, ran a voice test and ended up getting all eight voices which is a huge surprise. Ran a filter test and the noise I get from filter 8 is different than it was before. Now it's a really bassy hum with what sounds like minor pitch variations. I turned off the Microwave, took out the voice 8 CEM 3389 and put it into voice 6 and ran the voice and filter test. Turns out it works perfectly, so that means the CEM 3389 in voice 8 is actually perfectly fine. It also means that the problem is somewhere else, and I'm thinking it's either a bum CEM 5508H sample and hold chip (which is really tough to get to since it's surrounded by ceramic resistors) or a bum op-amp (which is also tough because it's soldered into the board). I'd like to test the CEM 5508H but I'm just having an incredibly tough time getting it out of its IC socket.

It never ends. :smith:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Basically the TR-8 is eh and the TB-3 is unreal, but not entirely for the intended reasons.

You know, I hadn't really played around with the Scatter function on my TB3... I just tried the TR8's and basically wrote the whole thing off. Gonna play around (and create more user patterns) tonight, thanks. They're super fun though, aren't they? I can't want to bring 'em to an appropriate gig and just wank.

On the home front, I'm still having frustrating problems with this resampling thing. I know I post way too much about this poo poo but it's driving me crazy. I get all the technical aspects and the process but applying it creatively just falls flat. Maybe I'm just not creative. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
So....

There's this new Future Music studio tour with Celldweller. If you're a modular nerd you might go crazy at his setup. I went crazy because he has an Arpie and apparently it's the one I built and sold off a few months ago! I spotted the battery color at first (a white RiteAid 9v) and it got me wondering, but then I checked out this Vine and it's definitely mine, right down to the brown flux peppered around the header connector: https://vine.co/v/Mh9B2xieEwq

Full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7jD2js8YAc