Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Man
Jan 31, 2007

so, I decided to build an interstellar probe for no reason, but after realizing there wasn't really anything entertaining to do out there I burned to recapture.... The Ap is very very high :jeb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
233 years even at max time compression is going to take a long long time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what changes the probe would encounter on return?

233 years ago was 1781, the time of monarchies and the great empire of Britain.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Perhaps the planet would be abandoned, except for a single remaining spaceport.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

That would be a neat idea for a time capsule: Stick a parachute on a box and launch it on a 1000-year free-return trajectory.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Kerbals will have evolved to the next stage of life. Lerbals. Everything on the planet now begins with L instead of K.

Nothing else has changed.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SocketSeven posted:

Kerbals will have evolved to the next stage of life. Lerbals. Everything on the planet now begins with L instead of K.

Nothing else has changed.

We have to actually come up with some lore at some point. Making the descriptions for all the companies and assigning them personalities for the contract system is as far as we have gone.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Maxmaps posted:

We have to actually come up with some lore at some point. Making the descriptions for all the companies and assigning them personalities for the contract system is as far as we have gone.

In my head the Kerbals were artificial life forms created to serve on generation ships. The ship crashed, the passengers died, but the Kerbals survived. They pursue space flight so strongly because space isn't a new frontier. It is home.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Acquire Currency! posted:

Missed a premium opportunity to have Jeb stunt ride the wings

Funny you should say that.

That was from the next flight. It was an experiment to see if just flying straight up then trying to circularize would yield better results. It was only a suborbital shot, so flying spaceplane style was better.
That being said spaceplanes without wings, let's call them horizontally launched rockets don't seem to fare too much differently to planes, which is a bit sad.

Splode posted:

hahaha you know you can use like, 1 rapier to get into orbit, right? That is one seriously over-engineered plane: I wouldn't be surprised if you still have enough fuel to go to Minmus.

With a hitchhiker module?

RAPIERs are too inefficient. Pretty sure it'd only make an elliptical orbit before the juice runs dry.
It's predecessor had wingtip mounted nuclear engines. I was going to start experimenting to see if this plane would support them. It could potentially be a useful Eve lander with some modification.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Germstore posted:

In my head the Kerbals were artificial life forms created to serve on generation ships. The ship crashed, the passengers died, but the Kerbals survived. They pursue space flight so strongly because space isn't a new frontier. It is home.

This is the coolest backstory, run with it.

"We have crashed, first order of business is to build a space center and get off this rock, no cities or infrastructure"

oh my god it also explains why everything is 'found' or from a junkyard, they're all crash sites

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

I trust that they all have suitably acme-levels of insanity?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

double nine posted:

I trust that they all have suitably acme-levels of insanity?

Some! We went broad, from Wayland-Yutani to Google.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Maxmaps posted:

Kalien vs Kreditor

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Met posted:

Girlbals? :allears:

The game needs a Ms. Frizzle kerbal.
(please tell me Ms. Frizzle reached other countries)

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Maxmaps posted:

The guys who make the SRB's need to be rednecks who can only make SRB's... like ATK in Real Life!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

TasogareNoKagi posted:

The game needs a Ms. Frizzle kerbal.
(please tell me Ms. Frizzle reached other countries)

"Please tell me this is going to be a normal orbital flight..."
"With Jeb? No way!"

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ohh... Magic School Bus!

I think perhaps the Kerbals are something like worker drones spawned by some sort of queen or main biomass deep underground. They built the KSC nearby for convenience.
Infrastructure isn't really needed because Kerbals are spawned as needed and imbued with knowledge from the queen during creation.
Subterranean resources are easily collected as it is their place of residence. However technologies developed by past individuals are scattered around KSC mostly due to unfortunate circumstances. in an effort to conserve resources and keep their planet pristine they opt for recycling over mining / refining.

In the game we are yet to see a Kerbonaut take root in the soil and begin transformation into the seed of a new colony as their spacesuit prevents contact with the ground. It also handily prevents suffocation.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Action Man posted:

so, I decided to build an interstellar probe for no reason, but after realizing there wasn't really anything entertaining to do out there I burned to recapture.... The Ap is very very high :jeb:

You can get some pretty big numbers before the engine decides you're in an escape orbit. Repost of something of mine from a previous thread (This was like version .15 or somesuch):

Long story short: I wanted to get a Kerbal as close to Kerbol as I could, but keep it in a circular orbit. Solution: bi-elliptic transfer orbit, with a periapsis as far out as I could take it for maximum fuel efficiency.

Check out the time to periapsis listed by MechJeb on the left. That 8.775*10^12s or about 159 thousand years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Maxmaps posted:

We have to actually come up with some lore at some point.
No, seriously don't. Personalities for the kerbal individuals are great (btw when you introduce girlbals you need one that has some sort of special personality ala Jeb), personality & backstory for the rocket parts companies is fine, but the big questions should just be a blank.

What are the Kerbals?
Why are they so gung-ho about space?
How do they operate a space program on a planet otherwise devoid of structures or life?
Was Wernehr von Kerman really a war criminal before leading the Science program? Official answers to these questions are always going to be worse than the empty canvass that each player can fill themselves. I'm sure some players are unhappy that there's no explanation for any of those questions, but those exact same people will still be unhappy afterwards because some bits that are inconsistent or there are still blank areas.

In my head the Kerbals have always been the Muppets. The old portrait icons looked particularly Muppet-like, and the loony nature of early KSP fit right in. If Jim Henson had made Apollo 13, there wouldn't have been any explanation for why NASA was suddenly being run by the cast of the Muppet Show.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Klyith posted:

No, seriously don't. Personalities for the kerbal individuals are great (btw when you introduce girlbals you need one that has some sort of special personality ala Jeb), personality & backstory for the rocket parts companies is fine, but the big questions should just be a blank.

What are the Kerbals?
Why are they so gung-ho about space?
How do they operate a space program on a planet otherwise devoid of structures or life?
Was Wernehr von Kerman really a war criminal before leading the Science program? Official answers to these questions are always going to be worse than the empty canvass that each player can fill themselves. I'm sure some players are unhappy that there's no explanation for any of those questions, but those exact same people will still be unhappy afterwards because some bits that are inconsistent or there are still blank areas.

In my head the Kerbals have always been the Muppets. The old portrait icons looked particularly Muppet-like, and the loony nature of early KSP fit right in. If Jim Henson had made Apollo 13, there wouldn't have been any explanation for why NASA was suddenly being run by the cast of the Muppet Show.

I do agree with that. Kerbals just are. It's fun to speculate. It also helps a lot with sandbox mode. I play mine closer to Sci-Fi, with Kethane mining and ridiculous ships. That doesn't fit with people that play it "real" etc.

One thing that does bug me is how barren Kerbin is. Besides the airfield and the other Space Centre if it even exists still there's nothing. It's kind of lonely.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

General_Failure posted:

One thing that does bug me is how barren Kerbin is. Besides the airfield and the other Space Centre if it even exists still there's nothing. It's kind of lonely.

This is why I actually delete the citylights module from the Visual Enhancements mod. Those lights are silly when you know there's really nothing there. :smith:

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Feeling a particular kinda crazy tonight. So I did a take on the Focke-Wulf Triebflugel

That plane looked fun, so I tried making one myself. With some mods and dual rotors, it's a surprisingly viable design, and not too hard to control if you have enough power.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Klyith posted:

Was Wernehr von Kerman really a war criminal before leading the Science program?

Why can't he be a war criminal while leading the science program at the same time?

:godwinning:

(Of course the Triebflugel will never work anywhere but kerbal. Ramjets on the end of rotors? Thats a lot of rotational inertia. centrifugal force.:stare:)

Edit: fixed.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 1, 2014

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SocketSeven posted:

Why can't he be a war criminal while leading the science program at the same time?

:godwinning:

(Of course the Triebflugel will never work anywhere but kerbal. Ramjets on the end of rotors? Thats a lot of rotational inertia. :stare:)

Tipjet helicopters actually make less rotational inertia. Note the lack of a tail rotor on this undoubtedly :jeb: inspired creation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_jet

:jeb::hf::science:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Rectus posted:

That plane looked fun, so I tried making one myself. With some mods and dual rotors, it's a surprisingly viable design, and not too hard to control if you have enough power.

ooh, what mods are you using? I was using stock parts, and being new to the game am not aware of any free rotating parts.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General_Failure posted:

Funny you should say that.

Take note Abyssal Lurker this guy knows what's up.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

YF19pilot posted:

Feeling a particular kinda crazy tonight. So I did a take on the Focke-Wulf Triebflugel

Did you or any of the other people attempting to make the Triebflügel notice if KSP physics model gyroscopic precession?
E: I ask because the drawings of the Triebflügel you linked has a single rotating propeller (like a helicopter) and it seems likely to me that that would cause it to experience said gyroscopic precession.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 1, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Take note Abyssal Lurker this guy knows what's up.

Please don't mention spaceplanes around Abyssal Lurker. :ohdear:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tried to make my first space plane!

This one didn't have the right amount of fuel/oxidizer, had to tweak it some more, but...

Success! Any tips on making this thing more efficient?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Get rid of the scoops. Only use ram air intakes. Scoops work best at low speeds.

alr
May 14, 2009
Also, abuse parts clipping to cram four ram intakes together. (alt+f12 in assembly)

Bind the intakes to an action group while you're in the assembly hangar, close them when you engage the rockets to reduce drag a little bit. Mostly you'll just want to use jets up to ~18k, flatten out and pick up speed until you're pushing around 1.2k m/s at just below your flameout threshold (around 22-23km works for me), then point upwards at 45 degrees and use rockets.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SocketSeven posted:

Scoops work best at low speeds.
Despite what the description says, all scoops function the same at various speeds & altitudes. The only difference between them is Intake Area which is a linear multiplier. 1 ram intake = 1.25 circular intakes = 2.5 radial scoops. A plane with 5 radial scoops will have the exact same performance as one with 2 rams, for all condidtions.

They all mass the same so ram scoops are theoretically far more effective by mass, but they also require nodes to attach to. If you use cubic struts to stick them on you come out ahead, but if you care about aesthetics enough to use bi/tri/quad couplers it's a net loss compared to just sticking on more radials.

A couple radial scoops are nice to have on any spaceplane though, because they store more units of air. You get a little more time at high altitudes as they drain the storage, and more warning before you flame out.

Luceo posted:

This is why I actually delete the citylights module from the Visual Enhancements mod. Those lights are silly when you know there's really nothing there. :smith:
Same. Also because they look super-dumb up close, if you're landing a ship or flying a plane.

In a world with infinite developer time it would be neat if there was more stuff on Kerbin, but on the list of things I'd want real work put towards that is way down the priority list.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DStecks posted:

Please don't mention spaceplanes around Abyssal Lurker. :ohdear:

General_Failure if you fly that thing into orbit with a pair of argyle socks you'll be a hero.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll tweak it a bit further, but I've added modular engines so it can make an efficient interplanetary flight! Basically I put a pair of docking ports between the engines and the rest of the plane.

Man, space planes are cool.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

General_Failure if you fly that thing into orbit with a pair of argyle socks you'll be a hero.

It's both my biggest and most successful spaceplane. I'm so confused.

More wings means more flying.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

ooh, what mods are you using? I was using stock parts, and being new to the game am not aware of any free rotating parts.

The Rotating parts are from Infernal Robotics, and the aircrafty parts are from B9 Aerospace.

It also controls well when the rotors are feathered, and can even autorotate.

pun pundit posted:

Did you or any of the other people attempting to make the Triebflügel notice if KSP physics model gyroscopic precession?
E: I ask because the drawings of the Triebflügel you linked has a single rotating propeller (like a helicopter) and it seems likely to me that that would cause it to experience said gyroscopic precession.

I'm not noticing much effect,even when using one rotor, but I tried making a helicopter, and it wobbled like crazy.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Luceo posted:

How do I delete this? I tried but it didn't seem to work. I'm running the better atmospheres plugin too.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Klyith posted:

Despite what the description says, all scoops function the same at various speeds & altitudes. The only difference between them is Intake Area which is a linear multiplier. 1 ram intake = 1.25 circular intakes = 2.5 radial scoops. A plane with 5 radial scoops will have the exact same performance as one with 2 rams, for all condidtions.

That's all fine and good, Except that the scoops have less intake area, and the same amount of drag. So by using the ram intakes in the place of scoops, you cut your drag by more than half vs using just scoops because you need fewer rams then scoops.

Scoops become dead weight at lower speeds and lower altitudes. There is no reason to use them, especially when you can slap them onto a cubic octagonal strut and place them anywhere.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

pun pundit posted:

Mine, yes, because I'm purposely spinning the entire craft. SAS tries to fight it, but SAS is also trying to fight a spacecraft that is spinning. It eventually gets to the point of flinging engines or parts and then you get into the whole unbalanced-thing-spinning-quickly part of disintegration. Otherwise, on normal rockets I've only really noticed small rotations when something is slightly out of balance and SAS can stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SocketSeven posted:

That's all fine and good, Except that the scoops have less intake area, and the same amount of drag. So by using the ram intakes in the place of scoops, you cut your drag by more than half vs using just scoops because you need fewer rams then scoops.
When intakes are open, they have much higher drag which also is defined by intake area. So for pretty much all of the time that drag matters they'll have near-equivalent drag. I'd put part load as a bigger factor in the ram scoop's favor.

quote:

There is no reason to use them, especially when you can slap them onto a cubic octagonal strut and place them anywhere.
Yeah, except that the game is easy enough without doing stuff like that. One of the ways I keep it interesting for myself is to reject anything that looks dumb. I put on some rams in places where they look good, I don't abuse clipping except for aesthetic appeal, and add some scoops because they're easy to blend in. You can do whatever you like, but you might be surprised how little difference there is outside of crazy air-hogs that can achieve orbit with a single turbojet.

Re: the question about gyroscopic forces -- I think a Triebflugel / tip-jet gyro should behave like a gyroscope when it's spinning. The game should replicate everything that comes naturally from newtonian mechanics. There's an old Manley video where he uses InfernalRobotics rotatrons to make a reactionless orientation system for a telescope. No RCS, no torque parts, nothing but pure physics. Similar principle. IANA physics simulation programmer though.

Seeing gyroscopic precision in action on those aerial contraptions might be difficult with all the other forces going on.

• Locked thread